HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Border Wars...Vote Now...

Old
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Border Wars...Vote Now...

ladies and gentlemen...weighing in at the blue corner......

I am interested to see just what people think about these country's prospects and which players are the best that they each have to offer.

I would like people to comment on the U.S. (Yanks) vs. Canada (Canucks), and which one country they think has the best prospects between the two. If you can, please name the top 20-23(23 if you were filling out a roster) players for that country. I think it would be cool to see how many different opinions there are for the same countries prospects. Only post players from the country that you will be voting for.

I would like to see the same for Russia vs. the Czeck Republic. I don't know how many people are familiar with all of their prospects, but the same rules apply here.
HF board prospect rules and the Hockey News rules apply. Noone playing more then 50 NHL games is considered to be a prospect.

I think these are the big 4, but I know the Finns and the Sweds aren't too far off at all. You can vote once for each match. Lets see which country gets the most votes. You dont have to vote for both matches, only vote on the one(s) that you know best.

match #1 U.S.A vs. Canada
match #2 Russia vs. the Czeck Republic

Players that are going to be drafted in THIS YEARS upcoming draft can be included in your list and evaluation of prospects. No other drafts accepted.

let the wars begin!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
TRVIPERS

Using Hockeys Future prospect rating system, I took all the players listed as Canadian or U.S. prospects that were rated an 8 or more and found that there were 22 players. As surprised as I was, I found 11 Canadian and 11 American prospects. All the prospects rated over 8 were American, including the only prospect rated a 9. Canada had 4 defencemen and 7 forwards. As in the past, it seems apparent that the Americans still have the ability to produce top offensive defencemen, as 5 of the 11 prospects are defencemen.

Canada

Barker 8
Toews 8
Brassard 8
Brule 8
Cogliano 8
Bourdon 8
Setoguchi 8
Wishart 8
Bourret 8
Staal M. 8
Hughes B. 8

U.S.A.

Johnson E. 9
Johnson J. 8.5
Ryan 8.5
OíSullivan 8.5
Schremp 8
Boyle B. 8
Mueller 8
Fischer D. 8
Okposo 8
Oshie 8
Welch 8

TRVIPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

the U.S. has stepped up as of late, and has closed the gap on Canada in terms of its top prospects. I think Canada has better goaltending prospects, but the U.S. has better defense prospects (imo). Forwards is a very close battle with both countries having top end forwards.

I guess my homerism comes out here, but I will have to vote for the U.S. because they are really starting to turn out some top prospects here.

Top 23 prospects are
E. Johnson
J. Johnson
B. Ryan
P. Kane
J. VanRiemsdyk
P. Mueller
K. Okposo
J. Skille
T.J. Hensick
R. Schremp
D. Stafford
J. Pavelski
P. O'Sullivan
T.J. Oshie
B. Boyle
M. Lashoff
K. Yandle
B. Sanguinetti
N. Welch
B. Lee
J. Howard
A. Montoya
B. Bishop

Last edited by AmericanDream: 04-13-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: incorrect
Old
04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRVIPERS View Post
Using Hockeys Future prospect rating system, I took all the players listed as Canadian or U.S. prospects that were rated an 8 or more and found that there were 22 players. As surprised as I was, I found 11 Canadian and 11 American prospects. All the prospects rated over 8 were American, including the only prospect rated a 9. Canada had 4 defencemen and 7 forwards. As in the past, it seems apparent that the Americans still have the ability to produce top offensive defencemen, as 5 of the 11 prospects are defencemen.

Canada

Barker 8
Toews 8
Brassard 8
Brule 8
Cogliano 8
Bourdon 8
Setoguchi 8
Wishart 8
Bourret 8
Staal M. 8
Hughes B. 8

U.S.A.

Johnson E. 9
Johnson J. 8.5
Ryan 8.5
OíSullivan 8.5
Schremp 8
Boyle B. 8
Mueller 8
Fischer D. 8
Okposo 8
Oshie 8
Welch 8
Which country do you vote for as having the better group of prospects??

Old
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
TRVIPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
the U.S. has stepped up as of late, and has closed the gap on Canada in terms of its top prospects. I think Canada has better goaltending prospects, but the U.S. has better defense prospects (imo). Forwards is a very close battle with both countries having top end forwards.

I guess my homerism comes out here, but I will have to vote for the U.S. because they are really starting to turn out some top prospects here.

Top 23 prospects are
E. Johnson
J. Johnson
B. Ryan
P. Kane
J. VanRiemsdyk
P. Mueller
K. Okposo
J. Skille
T.J. Hensick
R. Schremp
D. Stafford
J. Pavelski
P. O'Sullivan
T.J. Oshie
B. Boyle
M. Lashoff
K. Yandle
B. Sanguinetti
N. Welch
B. Lee
J. Howard
A. Montoya
B. Bishop
I have to agree, the U.S. has stepped it up and that is a wicked list of prospects that you have compiled. It appears at this time that it could be argueably agreed the U.S. prospects that you have listed are as good or better than a list of top rated Canadian prospects.
I am truly impressed with the American prospects that are being produced right now.
Yup thats a wicked list.

Old
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
TC20

Have to agree that american list is pretty strong and that top end is probably a tad better than canadas but kind of same story as it will be for awhile you expand that liost too 50 and Canadas list will look way stronger the depth for prospects every year is something to be amazed at

TC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Hey I've got an idea - rather than voting, why don't we have an international ice hockey tournament that pits the world's top under 20 hockey players against each other?

Oh wait, there is the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships.

In the last 20 years Canada has won 11 goal, 4 silver and 2 bronze medals, finishing out of the medals 4 times.

The US has won 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze finishing out of the medals 16 times.

Russia versus Czech?

Russia has 5 gold (including CIS and USSR), 9 silver and 3 bronze.

Czech (including Czechosolovakia) 2 gold, 1 silver and 5 bronze (6 including Slovakia).

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:19 PM
EagleBelfour

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/carey_price
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/david_fischer

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 06:00 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Hey I've got an idea - rather than voting, why don't we have an international ice hockey tournament that pits the world's top under 20 hockey players against each other?

In the last 20 years Canada has won 11 goal, 4 silver and 2 bronze medals, finishing out of the medals 4 times.

The US has won 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze finishing out of the medals 16 times.

Russia versus Czech?

Czech (including Czechosolovakia) 2 gold, 1 silver and 5 bronze (6 including Slovakia).
thats the good thing about prospects, the last 20 years doesnt affect them at all....

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 06:22 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose View Post
thats the good thing about prospects, the last 20 years doesnt affect them at all....
How about the last three?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Fozz

To make a fair and valid comparison of what country has the best young hockey players, I think you have to include all players under 21 or 22, no matter where they're playing. That includes all those already regular NHL players.

Do this and Canada jumps lightyears in front of the US! Russia looks pretty good using this formula

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
therealdeal

Canada by a long shot.

Edit: Actually, in prospects, maybe the US has better, but in terms of young talent, Canada by a wide, wide, wide margin. There is so much Canadian talent that the US has no one even close to. (IE Crosby, Staal, Vlasic, Tavares, etc)

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Canada by a long shot.

Edit: Actually, in prospects, maybe the US has better, but in terms of young talent, Canada by a wide, wide, wide margin. There is so much Canadian talent that the US has no one even close to. (IE Crosby, Staal, Vlasic, Tavares, etc)
I'll give you Crosby, and probably Tavares, but I think the U.S. can muster some prospects who compare favorably to the likes of Staal and Vlasic.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:23 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'll give you Crosby, and probably Tavares, but I think the U.S. can muster some prospects who compare favorably to the likes of Staal and Vlasic.
No 18 year old has gone into the NHL from the US like Staal and Vlasic have.

Old
04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
No 18 year old has gone into the NHL from the US like Staal and Vlasic have.
Most US players don't play in Canadian juniors so they are eligible to play in the AHL. Not the case with those two guys neccessarily, but they do get a longer, closer look because they can't get sent down to the A

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:19 AM
toastman344*

The problem with comparisons like these , is that the US , which mostly come out of college, rather than the CHL...tend to enter the NHL later

So if you want to compare a country's Best say U20's, or U22's...to be fair to Canucks...you've got to include our young NHLers on this list

If you want to give us all our Best Youngsters ...We win this North American Battle Fairly Easily IMO....And same goes for comparisons to Russia or anyone else... As our 2005 World Junior ' Dream Team' Attests...Which Destroyed all comers, every single game...

BTW Canada currently stands at 14 World Jr Gold's I believe...And But for Two years ( 1995 and 2005 ) our Best U20 NHLers were unavailable to us...

Where is the USA ?...mostly with all their Best U20's...ah yes ...one measley WJC gold...( thanks in part to Fleury's 3rd period meltdown ) ...Pretty Easy to Remember !

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:

Russia versus Czech?

Great post. Throw in the fact that a 19 year old Canadian led the NHL in scoring this year, that 8 of the top 10 NHL scoring leaders this year are Canadians, and that the top 25 scorers were all either Canadians or Europeans (not an American to be found on that list), and it is fairly apparent who develops the better players.

The stars of the game today are by and large Canadians and Euros, and reading the posts on this board it is apparent that Americans are desperate for a current star to call their own. It would certainly help hockey's profile down south. Be patient Americans. With the hype you are applying to so many of your players these days, sooner or later one will finally step up to the plate and rate with the big boys.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:37 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
The problem with comparisons like these , is that the US , which mostly come out of college, rather than the CHL...tend to enter the NHL later

So if you want to compare a country's Best say U20's, or U22's...to be fair to Canucks...you've got to include our young NHLers on this list

If you want to give us all our Best Youngsters ...We win this North American Battle Fairly Easily IMO....And same goes for comparisons to Russia or anyone else... As our 2005 World Junior ' Dream Team' Attests...Which Destroyed all comers, every single game...

BTW Canada currently stands at 14 World Jr Gold's I believe...And But for Two years ( 1995 and 2005 ) our Best U20 NHLers were unavailable to us...

Where is the USA ?...mostly with all their Best U20's...ah yes ...one measley WJC gold...( thanks in part to Fleury's 3rd period meltdown ) ...Pretty Easy to Remember !

Well, I understand all your points, but I am not comparing by an age, I am comparing by prospects, which is what they do on this board, in the hockey news, and everywhere else. If I were to say anyone under 23 can be on this list, then yes ofcourse Canada wins, but I am not talking about that, I am simply talking about PROSPECTS.

I do not care what Canada has done in the last 20 years at the WJC, this has nothing to do with that. Those are tourneys that have involved many different players, and not this collection of players that I have listed. If you put my U.S. team up against Canada with the same rules, then I believe the U.S. would win most nights.

I wouldn't be too cocky anymore about Canada's national past time. With the expansion in the U.S. just starting to be felt by players getting drafted from California, Florida, Texas, Colorado, etc.. its only a matter of time before those WJC golds you won will be few and far between.

In typical fashion, some of the Canadians have to whine and cry about a simple poll. Those were the rules I made for it, if you don't like it, then make your own poll. The U.S. has tons of top prospects, and to the person who said take the top 50 and Canada would win easily...I dont think so either. The top 75 prospects in the game according to the Hockey News are almost even % wise between the U.S. and Canada. That has never ever happened before. Kessel, Carle, Stastny, Greene, Brown, Fritsche, Kesler, Parise, Umberger, Higgins, etc.. all are under 23, but dont make this list either. Granted they arent Crosby, Staal, Phaneuf, etc.. but thats still a great young crop of kids that I left off too. Its only a matter of time, a very short amount of time.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 04-14-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
04-14-2007, 06:45 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Well, I understand all your points, but I am not comparing by an age, I am comparing by prospects, which is what they do on this board, in the hockey news, and everywhere else. If I were to say anyone under 23 can be on this list, then yes ofcourse Canada wins, but I am not talking about that, I am simply talking about PROSPECTS.

I do not care what Canada has done in the last 20 years at the WJC, this has nothing to do with that. Those are tourneys that have involved many different players, and not this collection of players that I have listed. If you put my U.S. team up against Canada with the same rules, then I believe the U.S. would win most nights.

I wouldn't be too cocky anymore about Canada's national past time. With the expansion in the U.S. just starting to be felt by players getting drafted from California, Florida, Texas, Colorado, etc.. its only a matter of time before those WJC golds you won will be few and far between.

In typical fashion, some of the Canadians have to whine and cry about a simple poll. Those were the rules I made for it, if you don't like it, then make your own poll. The U.S. has tons of top prospects, and to the person who said take the top 50 and Canada would win easily...I dont think so either. The top 75 prospects in the game according to the Hockey News are almost even % wise between the U.S. and Canada. That has never ever happened before. Kessel, Carle, Stastny, Greene, Brown, Fritsche, Kesler, Parise, Umberger, Higgins, etc.. all are under 23, but dont make this list either. Granted they arent Crosby, Staal, Phaneuf, etc.. but thats still a great young crop of kids that I left off too. Its only a matter of time, a very short amount of time.
These prospects did just play each other in December, Canada won, and Canada will continue to win. Even with Eric Johnson and Jack Johnson who for some reason have really high ratings, they couldn't win.

Also, as people have pointed out, yes, the US might have better prospects, even though they've never been able to prove anything against Canada, but Canada still has far more talent in 22 and under, and also 22 and over.

The funny thing is, is people have been talking for the last 5 years on this board on how the US is catching Canada, but all the top end talent always comes out of Canada, and it always will.

Old
04-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

There is no whining and crying by any Canadians in this thread. Americans on the whole focus upon personal accomplishments, while Canadians are schooled that team comes first. You focus upon the individual, while we instead view things from a pragmatic, realistic viewpoint.

For example, I read recently in one HF thread some ridiculous accusations that supposedly jealous Canadians were hoping for American prospects like Jack Johnson to fail, which couldn't be further from the truth. The truth of the matter is that Americans have focused on that specific player's accomplishments at the NCAA level and have projected his NHL ascent to Paul Bunyan-like levels. He may or may not reach all-star caliber, but the realist in us says shows us please when it counts, in the bigs. If he does so, great! That is all.

Surely many of the players you mentioned will go on to have fine NHL careers, but just as many if not more will wind up as the typical NCAA bred third and fourth liners, and sixth and seventh d-men.

The fact of the matter is that the CHL is producing the vast majority of the true stars of the NHL due to their disciplined long season of pro style hockey, while the short season run and gun NCAA game produces prospects that not only take longer to make it to an NHL roster, they have failed by and large to show up on the top of the NHL score sheets... where it counts. Not a single American in the NHL top 25 scoring list this year, period.

I agree that you have produced some fine prospects recently, too bad they can only focus upon their own accomplishments and are unable to play a team game. If and when they ever do, they might even just win a second WJC Gold!!!

By the way, of the "American" players you praised, Parise was taught the game by his Canadian father JP, you may have heard of him. Stastny learned the game from his Czech father, you may have heard of him as well. America claims those players by default only.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
time

Couple of observations.

As a patriotic Canadian, my bias is clear, but there is no doubt that US hockey is on the rise. This also happened in the 80s, but I think this time it will stick.

Around here, American prospects get as overhyped as white heavyweight boxers, but that does not mean that some of them aren't really, really good. EJ looks to be one heckuva d-man, and you can't argue against Kane's stats. Still, we have suffered through so many Kessel is better than Crosby, or Suter is better than Phaneuf threads to take all US hype with a grain of road salt.

And of course, no matter how blue-chip a prospect may seem, some just don't pan out. So these kind of discussions are fraught with subjectivity and jingoism.

But until the US puts together a real streak of wins at international play, you have to give the nod to Canada (and Russia). For all the American fans out there, you should hang out in a minor hockey rink somewhere in Canada for a day or two. You would get a better understanding of why this country continues to develop solid prospects, phenoms and worker bees at an astonishing rate.

time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
rt
DingDongTippIsGone!

Canada shmanada. HEY HEY USA ALL THE WAY!!!

04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

Russia versus Czech?

I think the argument is current not the past 20 years. The Americans have come on strong the last three years. Canada should have the some of the best players in the World. Comparing would be like comparing a High School All Star game ...Canada/USA in American football. Who do you think would win EVERY year.

By and large the best American athletes go to Football/Basketball/Baseball. All Canadian athletes play hockey at some point in their lives.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
TRVIPERS

Well, we all know that Canada always has great prospects and produces far more NHL players than any country in the world. However the Americans ARE producing top prospects at a greater rate. If you look at the first 10 overall picks from the NHL entry draft since 2000, more American prospects are showing up in the top 10.

2000 Entry Draft
1st overall Rick Dipietro

2001 Entry Draft
7th overall Michael Komisarek

2002 Entry Draft
5th overall Ryan Whitney
10th overall Eric Nystrom

2003 Entry Draft
7th overall Ryan Sutter

2004 Entry Draft
5th overall Blake Wheeler
6th overall Al Montoya

2005 Entry Draft
2nd overall Bobby Ryan
3rd overall Jack Johnson
7th overall Jack Skille

2006 Entry Draft
1st overall Eric Johnson
5th overall Phil Kessel
7th overall Kyle Okposo
8th overall Peter Mueller

Now it looks like an American could be 1st overall again this year in the 2007 Entry Draft if Chicago decides to draft Patrick Kane.

Credit where credits do and I will say it again, I am very impressed with the hockey talent coming out of the U.S. in the last few years.
I donít think anyone believes that the American players have suddenly become better than the Canadians, but if I was American I think I would be blowing my horn about the prospects that are being produced as of late.
To me a stud is a stud, no matter what country he was born in and in most cases I am sure that the NHL teams feel the same way.

Old
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
espo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I think the argument is current not the past 20 years. The Americans have come on strong the last three years. Canada should have the some of the best players in the World. Comparing would be like comparing a High School All Star game ...Canada/USA in American football. Who do you think would win EVERY year.

By and large the best American athletes go to Football/Basketball/Baseball. All Canadian athletes play hockey at some point in their lives.
The U.S probably get's as many top athletes playing hockey as Canada due to it's sheer size in population.When the number of people you have available to you is about 10-1 over a place like Canada...................you'll have plenty of top athletes (probably the same) playing the sport as Canada.If you can play NHL hockey don't worry...........you're a great athlete.

Sure,many many guys don't bother to play hockey because other sports are more popular but the guys that do come to play and reach a high level are top athletes.There are almost the same amount of registered players in the U.S now as in Canada and you can be pretty confident there are as many "top athletes" involved in that number as in Canada.Micheal jordan probably would'nt pick up hockey............but it does'nt mean Jordan would ever be any good at it anyway.

But even so,sheer numbers should ensure the amount of top athletes you get playing the sport are about the same.......as long as the registered number of players is comparable,and they seem to be these days.

Any gap in U.S-Canadian player production now is most likely due to better development/passion in communities towards the game.

That would seem to be where Canada has the edge,though it may not stay that way.

But i bet availability of high level athletes is now no longer the problem in U.S hockey compared to Canada,30 years ago sure,but now?.....i doubt it.If it was,The U.S would lose a heck of a lot more then it does to Canada.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote