HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Border Wars...Vote Now...

Old
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The ironic thing about this thread is the fact that it is arguable that the 3 best U18 - yet to be drafted players are a trio of young Canadian kids, Steve Stamkos, Drew Doughty, and John Tavares. The pipeline from Canada is still overflowing with the top flight young talent.
well that is definitely arguable because last year it was ESPOSITO that was rated the next Crosby/whoever you want to name here/ Mr. #1 overall for the draft... we all know that hasnt happened. still a great kid, but other guys came in and flew right past him. Pat Kane wasnt on anyones top 10 lists last year, and neither was James VanRiemsdyk, yet both will be gone by pick #4 in the draft.

I wouldn't hold too much weight on those 3 that you named being "the best U18 kids" come draft day(s). Tavares should be a shoe in for #1, but wasnt Esposito supposed to be too???? I'll wait come draft year to see how that pans out for those guys. Kane, VanRiemsdyk, McRae, and Hayes are all hugely rated players who could equal the talents of the three you named...and will continue the huge upward swing in American talent.

Hockey is finally starting to be felt in California in regards to players coming out of that state. We are just starting to see kids who are coming up since the Gretzky years...all the kids born in 89-94 will atest to this. We havent seen the tip of the iceberg for U.S. hockey yet. Within 5 years you will see double digit kids per year getting drafted out of California. HS hockey is booming there, and the leagues are getting ultra competitive. Kids will start coming out of Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, and Nashville in record numbers within the next 5 years. The sport has grown in the southern states, and you will start seeing that come draft day. The areas in Canada arent expanding in regards to hockey, there are no more surprises there...but in the states, there are soooo many untapped areas that we will start seeing kids come from....it will only be a short matter of time like I said.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 04-18-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
well that is definitely arguable because last year it was ESPOSITO that was rated the next Crosby/whoever you want to name here/ Mr. #1 overall for the draft... we all know that hasnt happened. still a great kid, but other guys came in and flew right past him. Pat Kane wasnt on anyones top 10 lists last year, and neither was James VanRiemsdyk, yet both will be gone by pick #4 in the draft.

I wouldn't hold too much weight on those 3 that you named being "the best U18 kids" come draft day(s). Tavares should be a shoe in for #1, but wasnt Esposito supposed to be too???? I'll wait come draft year to see how that pans out for those guys. Kane, VanRiemsdyk, McRae, and Hayes are all hugely rated players who could equal the talents of the three you named...and will continue the huge upward swing in American talent.

Hockey is finally starting to be felt in California in regards to players coming out of that state. We are just starting to see kids who are coming up since the Gretzky years...all the kids born in 89-94 will atest to this. We havent seen the tip of the iceberg for U.S. hockey yet. Within 5 years you will see double digit kids per year getting drafted out of California. HS hockey is booming there, and the leagues are getting ultra competitive. Kids will start coming out of Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Phoenix, Columbus, Colorado, and Nashville in record numbers within the next 5 years. The sport has grown in the southern states, and you will start seeing that come draft day. The areas in Canada arent expanding in regards to hockey, there are no more surprises there...but in the states, there are soooo many untapped areas that we will start seeing kids come from....it will only be a short matter of time like I said.
So at the start of the thread, you said right now that the US already has better prospects. And now its maybe in 5 years they will have better prospects?

I think you conceded your own thread.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Esposito had a good year and was sort of overhyped for a bit - but Tavares is a guy that everyone has been watching since he was like 5 - much like Sid the Kid. There is no comparison between the two.

I'm a knights fan so you'll have to trust me that I wouldn't say it if it weren't true - I really don't care that much about his nationality... but comparing any undrafted player in 2007 to John Tavares is much like comparing any undrafted player in 2005 to Sidney Crosby. Think Mike Bossy.. Absolutely scary potential. If he hits 75 percent of his potential he'll be an NHL all star several times.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:40 AM
guest1467

It doesnt really matter, it all depends on what kind of prospects the team wants. If you want grit, and heart you go Canadian if you want more skilled you go USA, as of right now. But, if the USA has such good prospects why did Canada win the WHC.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
nags

Quote:

Isn't it ironic that while Esposito was playing in the States that he was a consensus #1. As soon as he came back to Canada and had to compete a little harder his stock dropped. You make your own conclusions. I'm going to suggest that the competition in Canada is tougher and therefore Canadian kids don't get the same amount of hype as their American counterparts in general. And yes I know that Kane is currently playing in Canada.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
So at the start of the thread, you said right now that the US already has better prospects. And now its maybe in 5 years they will have better prospects?

I think you conceded your own thread.
are you even reading my posts, or just glancing through?? at no point did I say "in 5 years the U.S. will have the best prospects" in my last post. I said in 5 years you will see an explosion in the Southern areas of the states, which will lead to a continued dominance in American prospects. I already feel the U.S. has the best prospects in the world right now, I already said that..I dont need to wait 5 more years for that to happen, it already has.

Old
04-19-2007, 04:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Esposito had a good year and was sort of overhyped for a bit - but Tavares is a guy that everyone has been watching since he was like 5 - much like Sid the Kid. There is no comparison between the two.

I'm a knights fan so you'll have to trust me that I wouldn't say it if it weren't true - I really don't care that much about his nationality... but comparing any undrafted player in 2007 to John Tavares is much like comparing any undrafted player in 2005 to Sidney Crosby. Think Mike Bossy.. Absolutely scary potential. If he hits 75 percent of his potential he'll be an NHL all star several times.
To the same people who said Kessel was overhyped, then Esposito would be too. I still feel Kessel and Esposito weren't overhyped, just better players emerged at the right time. Both of those kids will be great players. I never said Esposito was a bad prospect, just funny how he was almost everyones #1, and now he might not make the top 10.

I am not saying the same will happen to Tavares, but I have seen way too many " this guy is going to be #1" posts 3 years in advance. Most players who I have seen predicted at #1 years before the draft, didn't go number 1. I remember seeing threads on Adam Pineault going top 2-3 in the draft a few years back. Things change come draft year man.
Regardless, 09' should be a monster draft by all accounts. Way too much talent for anyone to be saying that Tavares or anyone is a lock at #1 no matter how skilled they seem to be right now, or since the age of 5.

Old
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
are you even reading my posts, or just glancing through?? at no point did I say "in 5 years the U.S. will have the best prospects" in my last post. I said in 5 years you will see an explosion in the Southern areas of the states, which will lead to a continued dominance in American prospects. I already feel the U.S. has the best prospects in the world right now, I already said that..I dont need to wait 5 more years for that to happen, it already has.
And yet none of them crack the NHL and suceed at a young age, nor can they beat Canada's prospects when they play head to head.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Hooo boy, this thread is going nicely, I can see

04-19-2007, 11:33 PM
mmitchell19

No wonder people from other countries hate us...

Listen, I'm no prospects expert...I started reading here earlier this year because, after 20+ years as a Blues fan, we're finally in a true re-building mode & I thought it would be fun to peek into the future a few years.

I'm pretty excited to hear that the U.S. is developing some excellent NHL prospects. But to suggest that we have a better prospect pool than Canada...now, 5 years from now, 25 years from now...seems ludicrous.

(Besides, Canada boasts that Melissa Theriau (sp?) as one of their own...we've got some very nice-looking women down here, but she is stunning.)

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It doesnt really matter, it all depends on what kind of prospects the team wants. If you want grit, and heart you go Canadian if you want more skilled you go USA, as of right now. But, if the USA has such good prospects why did Canada win the WHC.
See, this is a perfect example of someone who has no clue.

Canadians have both skill and grit and also a higher level of hockey sense. That is what separates the top tier Canadians from the rest. I know of a few kids that that have gone down to the States to play Tier 2 Junior and scored a ton of goals because of their skill.

They can't make it in Canada however because they are essentially perimeter players and can't do any of the heavy lifting when its required or they lack some hockey smarts.

Because Canadians have learned from a very young age to not expose the puck unnecessarily, i.e., protect it, some of you guys think its because they lack skill. Well let me tell you, these guys can do all sorts of things during a scrimmage or shinny hockey that is unbelievable, they simply don't do this on the real rink because they know it puts their team at risk. How many times have you seen Crosby try and dangle the puck through the D's legs. You all know he could probably do it, but he doesn't because it is a low percentage play.

Go to a local rink in the winter in Canada and watch some of these kids when they are just goofing around and see for yourself.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote