HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Am I The Only One?

Old
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Am I The Only One?

Who thinks the Habs need to re-sign both Johnson and Bonk? Without them we would be 12th or 13th in the East. They are both important parts to our team, and I would be very dissapointed if we didn't bring both back. Both were great throughout the season and how bout Bonk has Comeback Player Of The Year for Montreal. The guy won battles in the corner, hit, and could pot a few too. So, am I the only one?

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Duff88

vCash: 500
I'd welcome them back at a combined 2,5M. Otherwise, I think we can find players as good as Johnson and Bonk to cover their role at that price.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Reuben

i'd say maybe one but not both, we can probably get someone who can do the job for less money and brings a more physical presence.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:43 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Who thinks the Habs need to re-sign both Johnson and Bonk? Without them we would be 12th or 13th in the East. They are both important parts to our team, and I would be very dissapointed if we didn't bring both back. Both were great throughout the season and how bout Bonk has Comeback Player Of The Year for Montreal. The guy won battles in the corner, hit, and could pot a few too. So, am I the only one?
I would bring Bonk back. He's a very good defensive player. Johnson I wouldn't.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Reuben

I wish Johnson and Bonk both took the body way more often, but i guess they are not really those kinds of players.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

If we can get them both for 2.5 million combined then it wouldn't be that bad.

No way in hell I'd give them 2 million each though...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't know about that but then we really need to be careful with the projections that we don't need those guys 'cause guys like Chipchura, Grabovski, Ferland and so on might be ready. Are we really going into next year with again 5 or 6 rookies and tons of 2nd year and 3rd year????

Any real veteran presence would be needed don't you all think?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
at the end of my priority list..very end

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't know about that but then we really need to be careful with the projections that we don't need those guys 'cause guys like Chipchura, Grabovski, Ferland and so on might be ready. Are we really going into next year with again 5 or 6 rookies and tons of 2nd year and 3rd year????

Any real veteran presence would be needed don't you all think?
We only had Lats with the team as a full time rookie this season. Others came up because of injuries ( Halak, Lapierre ) or poor play from veterans ( Kosty ). It's nice that they performed and are pretty much locks for next season.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:00 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I'd resign Bonk if Gainey can't have a center on July 1st. For Johnson, I think we can let him go. He was pretty much invisible in the last weeks of the season.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
Who can replace Bonk on the PK ?
Plekanec.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:08 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Or Lapierre.

I for one have not wanted them back all year. I want the Canadiens to have more speed. Do not get me wrong I did enjoy what both players brough to the team but I think they will ask for more than they are worth to the Canadiens.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
E = CH²

We do need to find replacements, but I don't subscribe to the all star checking line philosophy. Any 0.75M grinder that has heart, is willing to listen to the coaches and can skate is welcome to sign here to play on our third line. Let's spend the $ where it matters.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Or Lapierre.

I for one have not wanted them back all year. I want the Canadiens to have more speed. Do not get me wrong I did enjoy what both players brough to the team but I think they will ask for more than they are worth to the Canadiens.
Johnson is the weakest guy I've ever seen in my life. He's the truest form of a fairy.

Bonk is just slow and is the most overated guy on this team. We're a better team without him.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Johnson is the weakest guy I've ever seen in my life. He's the truest form of a fairy.

Bonk is just slow and is the most overated guy on this team. We're a better team without him.
Most overrated ? How ?

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
at the end of my priority list..very end
You mean like Murray and Downey were last year but were amongst the first ones to be signed....

Old
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

my priority list...

1. SIGN MARKOV (before July 1st)

2. Sign Souray (before July 1st)

3.. Go after a big name free agent (Briere, Timonen, Kariya, Drury etc..)

4.re-sign Higgins (3 years), Komisarek (3 years), Plekanec (2 years), Ryder (2 years), Perezhogin (1 year)

5.sign a decent bottom pairing d-man to take over Bouillon's spot.

6.maybe re-sign Johnson and/or Bonk to 1 year deals at a combined 2.5 million. If only one of them, no more than 1.2.

7.being over Emelin and Valentenko.

8.trade Samsonov and Bouillon.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Sumhabs

Yes your alone.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Tricolore#20

Bonk and Johnson need to be brought back. They were our best defensive players all year, for a team that was extremely bad 5 on 5. If you check out Gabe Desjardins' site, he statistically ranks Bonk and Johnson as players who face some of the toughest opponents in the league. They have been amongst the leaders in the league in this all season, and is part of the reason why a player like Perezhogin had such an impressive plus/minus during the time he played with them. Despite all the praise players like Chipchura will get, only veteran players will give you the type of defensive effort that Johnson and Bonk provide on a nightly basis.

Check out the following stats (for quality of opposition for the entire 2006/07 season). Remember that Bonk and Johnson have been in the top 10 for nearly the entire season as well:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/qual_comp.html

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

Johnson isnt even weak and Bonk isnt that bad.

With that been said, neither is really needed anymore in Montreal.

Size down the middle could be missing without Bonk but that's something to be adress by the GM.

Johnson is alright, he never hit but he's one of the few guys that will rather get hit than quit when chasing a puck along the boards. That's valuable, but not much more than 1M$ valuable...

My priority would be Briere. But if this guy cant be add. I'd target a 2nd guy like zubrus.

Koivu-Zubrus-Plekanec-Lapierre down the middle is respectable. size, speed and some offense capabilities.

Depend of the price tag i guess.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Quiet Robert

If I ranked UFA importance, I'd have these guys at 3 and 4.

1. Markov (100% must sign)
2. Souray (Try hardest to sign at reasonable price)
3. Bonk (deserves a hard look)
4. Johnson (seems to be gone)
5. Aebishcher (100% gone)
6. Niinimaa (100% gone)

After Markov and Souray are taken care of I'd see what kind of money we had to play with and see what direction I'd want to see the team go. The thing about Bonk is he brings much needed size down the middle and he's excellent on the PK. He doesn't bring much offensively and often times he seems "invisible" i.e. like he's not doing much, but he's a sound positional guy who does a good job 5 on 5.

But with that said, we've had enough of these "positionally sound" guys over the past 5+ years. If we're going to justify signing a veteran at 2+ million, I'd like to see a guy with some fire, or save Bonk's 2.5 and spend it towards a guy like Drury/Briere etc..

The thing I like is Bonk's size and smarts, but he is replaceable at this point. I don't know if Chipchura or Grabovski are ready to take over, or if we dip into the UFA pool to get some depth, but the bottom line is I just don't see how we can justify Bonk at 2+ million to be a 3rd liner on this team.

Johnson I think is most likely gone. We have youngsters ready to step up and while I like the effort he brought this year, I think he is expendable. Like I said, I like the guy, but unfortunately I think we'll just see the team go different ways.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

In the end, we need more toughness, more grittyness (if that's a word...). And while our top 6 is pretty much done already with no real changes, Bonk's and Johnson' spots are key spots need to be taken by players with more "zip" than those 2. I would prefer having guys like Maltby and Torres instead of those 2.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I would like to see a Johnson-Chipchura-Grabovski Line

or

Plekanec-Chipchura-Grabovski 3rd line

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
I would like to see a Johnson-Chipchura-Grabovski Line

or

Plekanec-Chipchura-Grabovski 3rd line
Chippy ain't ready to patrol the 3rd line. Not yet at least. Pleks has earned the right to play on a scoring line.

Last edited by Form and Substance: 04-12-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

No. Bonk played this year because it was his contract year, remember in 05-06? he sucked really bad. If we sign Bonk it should be a 1 year deal or else bye bye! Johnson I would consider signing he's a good defensive player for us.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote