HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe Up To Something

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 09:47 PM
creative giant*

vCash: 500
Lowe Up To Something

He tried to move up in the draft desperately last year. However, he couldn't because he didn't think pampers would throw the hisseyfit he did and wouldn't play for the oilers, so he was not tradeable. However, now we have 2 first rounders next year. Hmm....I think this is Lowe's way of getting that higher pick he wants. A combo of our first 2 picks and something interesting, like laraque, should land us in the top-10 (considering BG has a decent year). I have a feeling that Lowe really likes someone in this year's draft, and is accumulating some assets NOW rather than on draft day to make a pitch for him

Old
12-17-2003, 09:50 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
He tried to move up in the draft desperately last year. However, he couldn't because he didn't think pampers would throw the hisseyfit he did and wouldn't play for the oilers, so he was not tradeable. However, now we have 2 first rounders next year. Hmm....I think this is Lowe's way of getting that higher pick he wants. A combo of our first 2 picks and something interesting, like laraque, should land us in the top-10 (considering BG has a decent year). I have a feeling that Lowe really likes someone in this year's draft, and is accumulating some assets NOW rather than on draft day to make a pitch for him
TOP 10? Why stop there. Time to go for the gusto.

Ovechkin or bust!!!!

Old
12-17-2003, 09:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Forget Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
TOP 10? Why stop there. Time to go for the gusto.

Ovechkin or bust!!!!
Why not go for the real gusto in 2005 and get the Nexty, Crosby.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:52 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Why not go for the real gusto in 2005 and get the Nexty, Crosby.
Works for me.

Ovechkin and Crosby.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Well, whatever he has up his sleeves, he should be finishing up the final touches on his post CBA plan. Since he took on as GM, he has repeatedly said that he has a plan to make the Oilers a championship caliber team after the current CBA ends. I'm sure the Comrie situation has thrown a wrench into things, but I think he's still on track. The upcoming months from now till the draft is critical for the Oiler's post CBA future.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

If we arent in a position to make the playoffs, I think KLO will make a major deal with Colorado. Colorado has said that they would like a veteran to play with Abby in the post season. Great defenseman are also great deadline pickups for teams looking to go far. With Pierre Larcoix making 03-04 a make or break year for Colorado, he may be more willing to overpay in a deadline deal.

Salo
Smith
2nd rounder

for

Tanguay
1st Rounder

ok, maybe Im dreaming. Id rather keep Smith anyways

Old
12-17-2003, 10:27 PM
momentai

Yeah, that's more than a tad unrealistic. With the totals Salo has been putting up... his value is pretty small at the moment. A second rounder is probably the best we could hope for if he turns it up a notch.

Tanguay being young and talented is worth more than Jason Smith. (Youth always wins out when comparing trade values) Besides, Colorado doesn't really have the depth to replace Tanguay at the moment. Unless they want to put Kono on the wing.... but I suspect that he would be better suited patrolling the third.

If the Oilers are out of the playoff picture... Adam Oates is guaranteed to be moved though. It's pretty much inevitable in that case.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:43 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
With the addition of Woywitka and the potential of Semenov and Brewer to both be low end #1's or extremely solid #2's i think the one thing really lacking is an out and out sniper. That is something that is going to need to be addressed in the draft because young cheap snipers don't grow on trees (obviously.)

So lowe has his D (adding Barker would be amazing though) and he thinks he has his G, who knows if thats true or not, he also has his playmaking Centers in Pouliot and Niinimaki and a playmaking winger in Hemsky. He has enough grit and scoring for the 3rd line in Torres and Stoll along with either Salmo or Rita, maybe even Moreau for the veteran presence. Then he still has guys like Dvorak, york and Smyth who can score but i wouldn't call out and out snipers...I think that that is what we are truly missing, both on the present club and in the system.

Old
12-17-2003, 11:00 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Am I the only one here who thinks that we should keep Oates for another year (unless he retires)?

Of our forwards, only Smyth and Moreau can be looked upon as veteran leaders, and they're both still fairly young. I think having a father figure like Oates in the club could teach our young players a lot about playing hockey as well as developing character in the clubhouse.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:47 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
With the addition of Woywitka and the potential of Semenov and Brewer to both be low end #1's or extremely solid #2's i think the one thing really lacking is an out and out sniper. That is something that is going to need to be addressed in the draft because young cheap snipers don't grow on trees (obviously.)

So lowe has his D (adding Barker would be amazing though) and he thinks he has his G, who knows if thats true or not, he also has his playmaking Centers in Pouliot and Niinimaki and a playmaking winger in Hemsky. He has enough grit and scoring for the 3rd line in Torres and Stoll along with either Salmo or Rita, maybe even Moreau for the veteran presence. Then he still has guys like Dvorak, york and Smyth who can score but i wouldn't call out and out snipers...I think that that is what we are truly missing, both on the present club and in the system.
I agree with your wishes for a sniper, I think Lauri Tukonen is probably our man. He will probably get picked up somewhere around 8th overall from what I read.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:09 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i agree but i don't think Oates will play next year due to retirement.

But I'm pretty sure at the draft deadline a third first rounder could be acquired from deals involving Smith, Salo, Oates, Horcoff, Chimera or Laraque.

It would be great if the Oilers could get a third pick.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:59 AM
serum114

I fullty agree with th eidea of adding another first and not trading one. Considering the 2004 season will likely be shortened or non-existent, nabbing 3 first rounders to add to our stable of guys "almost there" (Rita, Woywitka, Pouillot, Niinimaki, JDD, LYnch, EDM 1 - 2004, PHI 1 -2004) and it's a sick base to build from.

Remeber, Lowe is all about post-2004

Old
12-18-2003, 09:22 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
I fullty agree with th eidea of adding another first and not trading one. Considering the 2004 season will likely be shortened or non-existent, nabbing 3 first rounders to add to our stable of guys "almost there" (Rita, Woywitka, Pouillot, Niinimaki, JDD, LYnch, EDM 1 - 2004, PHI 1 -2004) and it's a sick base to build from.

Remeber, Lowe is all about post-2004
True enough, but considering that whoever we draft in the first round in 2004 is likely 2-4 years away from a regular spot in the lineup (not to mention being any kind of impact player), it might make some sense to use one or more picks to land a guy who's much closer to providing some impact. Essentially to replace Comrie's offensive talent in the lineup, as Lowe was probably counting on that in his plans anyway. Some young buck who's 20-22 and could (WILL?) be hot stuff... Maybe that's too unrealistic, but if Lowe has enough assets built-up by then (prospects & picks, with the occasional vet like Smith, et al) it might be do-able.

I guess it depends on Lowe's timeline. If he wants to be able to make a run for the Cup in 2005, then an extra 1st-round pick in 2004 likely isn't going to help. If he's looking more at 2006-7, then perhaps.

Bart

Old
12-18-2003, 11:24 AM
copperaddict

The future looks good if the CBA works out! The one thing I would like to see talk of is a new state of the art arena that would hold about 20,000 screaming oil maniacs.The extra revenue this would bring would make a big difference.If our dollar stays the way it is wouldn't hurt my feelings at all!

Old
12-18-2003, 11:54 AM
oilfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Works for me.

Ovechkin and Crosby.
Well, if we can finish last, and there is no CBA next year, wouldn't that mean we get #1 in both years.

Closed Thread