HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville's pick

Old
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i doubt they're moving Vinny... if they move Vinny, they're much more flexible. Richards would have a ticking clock over his head, which changes matters considerably... and i would consider moving some name players on the roster for Brad Richards... Vinny as well.
You have to avoid creating a hole in a vital positoin (second line center, top pairing defense) because it can be very costly to replace those players through free agency.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
You have to avoid creating a hole in a vital positoin (second line center, top pairing defense) because it can be very costly to replace those players through free agency.
obviously... i also doubt we'd have to give one of them up depending on what type of package we put together. if TB winds up in a position where they are seriously talking about trading Richards... they have to move quickly and we can allow the clock to move in our favor in negotiations (though, you'd have to be mindful of other clubs getting involved).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
krantan

Quote:
i doubt they're moving Vinny... if they move Vinny, they're much more flexible. Richards would have a ticking clock over his head, which changes matters considerably... and i would consider moving some name players on the roster for Brad Richards... Vinny as well.
I wouldn't be so sure. I think they'd prefer to move Richards, but with his no-trade vesting after the season and a nice long contract I don't think they will get many takers from other clubs.

I think they feel differently about him then most other clubs, and think he is the same level of talent as Vinny, with no upcoming contract issues to worry about. A Lecavalier extension is going to cost pretty much the max ie $1-2 million more a year then Richards is getting. If they get alot more talent in an offer for Lecavalier, I think they are comfortable pulling the trigger. Personally, I see Lecavalier as the #1 target. I think he is even better then he looked this year. Richards I'd have to think about, and I'd prefer several of the UFA centers to him.

Last edited by krantan: 04-18-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
Richards I'd have to think about, and I'd prefer several of the UFA centers to him.
Then I would severely question your ability to analyze hockey talent. There isn't a single UFA centre that comes close to Richards' all-around ability.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:36 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Then I would severely question your ability to analyze hockey talent. There isn't a single UFA centre that comes close to Richards' all-around ability.
Its the age old problem, people are fascinated by flash and potential, and forget about the steady, consistent, not so flashy, get the job done winner! Kinda similar to the fascination with big atheletic quarterbacks in the NFL. They are flashy, lots of style, put up big numbers, (McNabb, Cunningham, Culpepper, Vick) but its the steady, consistent, leaders and pocket passers that win every year. (Brady, Brad Johnson, Peyton Manning, Montana, Simms, etc)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Its the age old problem, people are fascinated by flash and potential, and forget about the steady, consistent, not so flashy, get the job done winner! Kinda similar to the fascination with big atheletic quarterbacks in the NFL. They are flashy, lots of style, put up big numbers, (McNabb, Cunningham, Culpepper, Vick) but its the steady, consistent, leaders and pocket passers that win every year. (Brady, Brad Johnson, Peyton Manning, Montana, Simms, etc)
Well said, Mike.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Afanasenkov is GOD.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Afanasenkov is GOD.
Now you're coming around.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
rayearth

Not to get completely off topic here but Vick stinks. He's been 21st, 25th, and 20th in QB rating the last 3 years. Completion % was 27th, 29th, and 31st. Yards was 26th, 20th, and 22nd. TDs was 24th, 18th, and 10th. Rushed 1000 yards like that's supposed to be a good thing. Missed the playoffs the last 2 years I believe. It didn't take McNabb long to figure out that's no way to play the game.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Kaktus*

If Preds will lose in 5 games.. Where will the Flyers pick? Between 15 and 20th?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
If Preds will lose in 5 games.. Where will the Flyers pick? Between 15 and 20th?
24th currently, could get better if some teams that didn't won their divisions move to the conference finals. Couldn't get better than 20th.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Rick covered it.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:25 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

lets put it this way. Nashville losing will barely help our pick, if at all.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:37 AM
iceman42

Most likely we will end up with #24.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
24th currently, could get better if some teams that didn't won their divisions move to the conference finals. Couldn't get better than 20th.
i thought 24th was the furthest it could theoretically drop?

Old
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
i thought 24th was the furthest it could theoretically drop?
The Draftorder is builded the following way:

1st to 14th to the Non-Playoff-Teams according to point total and lottery
15th to 24th to Playoff-Teams which aren't division champions according to point totals
25th to 30th to division champions according to point totals

Than the four teams in the conference finals get the last four spots, 27th to 30th. 30th to stanley cup champion, 29th to stanley cup finalist, 28th and 27th to conference finalists according to point totals. The other teams move up.

Nashville was the team with the best record that haven't won a division, Detroit won the central, and so got the 24th spot. If the four conference finalists aren't division champions either, it could be the 20th spot.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Now this is gonna turn into a football discussion. In your "bad QB" cat I think it is quite unfair to lump McNabb in with the other losers. Culpeper's entire career consisted of "throw Jump ball to randy moss deep". Vick has never had to develop as a passer and until the owner stops coddling him he never will until both his legs are broken. Cunningham, as much as he was fun to watch is Vick 1.0 (or vick is Cunningham 2.0). Cunningham was a much better QB after returning to the league with Minnesota as learned to use his brain more. McNabb is a complete QB who (when not injured his only real major flaw) who routinely leads his team (who had no stand out receivers) to the conference title game and once to the superbowl all the while putting up excellent stats in all QB categories. McNabb's window to win the superbowl is far from closed and he continues to improve in the pocket every year.

As far as your "winners". Brad Johnson had one good playoff season and hasn't played in the post season in the 5 years since. Phil Simms was a career 55% completion rate and played in 3 playoff games after his superbowl appearance losing 2. Manning is an absolutely horrible playoff performer. His team carried him to the superbowl and if it wasn't Rex Grossman who was the opposing QB he wouldn't have won. Grossman put in the worst QB performance since Ben Roethlisberger (Roethlisberger who has worse SB stats than Grossman actually won the SB before Peyton).

Sorry for making everyone read all that. Lost in all that rant is that one person doesn't make a team. Pittsburgh doesn't win the SB without Bettis and a suffocating defense regardless of the Qb. Manning doesn't win without the miraculous Defensive turnaround the Colts had in the post season (How Manning gets SB MVP and not the Colts defense is beyond me. I guess all of Mannings sponsors made it mandatory he won if the colts won). Montana doesn't win without Jerry Rice or Dwight Clark.

Also harken the lesson learned with Lindros. It's unwise to put a player on a pedastal above the team. If Richards can be acquired to complement the team fine. Excellent player and he will definately help but if you have to gut the team to acquire him, it's a horrible decision.

Either way one of NJ or TB will be out after the first round raising questions about the losing team. TBs lack of spending room because of the "Big 3" preventing them from being a more complete team and Lou's decision to fire the coach that was first in the division 3 games left in the regular season. Either way the Flyers potentially benefit. Hopefully both teams will be gone after 2 rounds.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
flyer_fury

man i hate football

flyer_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:16 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer_fury View Post
man i hate football
It's probably at least twice as popular as the Flyers which I guess is the 2nd most popular team in the area.

Old
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
flyer_fury

i know it's really popular (most of my friends are eagles fans) but it just moves to slow for me

Old
04-19-2007, 01:36 PM
rayearth

It took me a while to get into it but it also took me some time to get into hockey. It's hard to say which I like more at this point but I did do part of my basement in Eagles colors if that means anything. I don't think the orange would have gone over with the wife anyway.

Other random comment: I was a HUGE Sixers and basketball fan for a number of years but now I'm practically repulsed by it which probably helped propel me into hockey which I've only been a big fan of for about 6 years.

Old
04-19-2007, 02:22 PM
flyer_fury

i watch football for like 3 weeks til hockey's pre-season starts

Old
04-19-2007, 03:13 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer_fury View Post
i watch football for like 3 weeks til hockey's pre-season starts
ME TOO!!!!

To me it's just killing time until hockey's on.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
actually, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning put up huge numbers year in and year out. Vick has never put up big numbers in terms of passing and he probably never will. Montana and Simms also put up very big numbers. It's all about the system that's utilized and in place. It's that simple. If you have a game plan that's 40% running and 60% passing, you're going to put up big numbers no matter what, unless you're the Washington Redskins and then there's all kinds of problems behind the center....lol.....and I say that because I'm a huge 'Skins fan. We need a real quarterback and fast.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
ME TOO!!!!

To me it's just killing time until hockey's on.
They don't normally interfere too much. Watch both!