HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what was the thinking behind trading Dupuis?

Old
04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
Excuse my dear boy - I don't take kindly being patronized.

I have played pro hockey both in Europe and North America and I have playerd with Stanley Cup winners, Olympic gold medallists and World Champions, and owned a pro hockey franchise .

I have seen Dupuis play with Wild and I liked him then and I likef him last night. I have seen Avery play in LA and was not working out , all of a sudden he can't do no wrong. Dupuis is an accomplished NHL player. End of story. this is now.

It is not like the Rangers have a history of grooming talent in numbers. NYR has is and always has been a talent
graveyard.

Bourret shmourret - he is no Crosby and I see how much ice time in the show Jarkko Immonen is getting. Not exactly
a lot.
So Dupuis is a better hockey player than Ortmeyer, Orr, Isbister, Hollweg and (possibly Cullen) and that's a fact.

It's a question of getting a solid player now vs getting a solid player maybe 2 years from now.
did you also star in the matrix and coach the U.S. women's soccer team to stunning World Cup victory?

puhlease.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:19 PM
shoothepuck

The thinking was that Dupuis didn't fit here,(though he could have replaced most on the 4th line), but one good game against, dosn't make him the second coming.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 07:19 PM
NYRMatt

The thinking behind it was smart.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Ola

I would say

1. Korpikoski -- Ready, but might also develop more in the AHL. He could play in any role.
2. Dubinsky -- Could hold his own overall, but got some weaker aspects. Though is damn close.
3. Dawes -- Ready, won't develop much more. Still some (big IMO) questionmarks about how much he can contribute in the NHL. He is not much of a threat on the rush, and that holds him back.
4. Jarkko Immonen -- Ready, won't develop more. Would make a marginal impact in the NHL.
5. Dane Byers -- Probably could hold his own pretty well in the NHL after a breakin period. Play like Orr does between fights, not much more.

I wouldn't say that Bourret is ready, defenitly not to compete with the guys already in NY. Bourret is still finding his ways in the AHL. His role in the NHL should be on a scoring line, and he must develop a bit more.

Of thoose 5 on the list I think really only Korpikoski could challenge for a spot if given a chance, Callahans offensive game is more developed, but Korpi got a edge on him in other areas.

Dubinsky seems to be comming on really really strong right now, and will contribute allot when he is able to take that last step to the NHL. As a center there is less room for misstakes, its a tougher role then on the wing.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I would say

1. Korpikoski -- Ready, but might also develop more in the AHL. He could play in any role.
2. Dubinsky -- Could hold his own overall, but got some weaker aspects. Though is damn close.
3. Dawes -- Ready, won't develop much more. Still some (big IMO) questionmarks about how much he can contribute in the NHL. He is not much of a threat on the rush, and that holds him back.
4. Jarkko Immonen -- Ready, won't develop more. Would make a marginal impact in the NHL.
5. Dane Byers -- Probably could hold his own pretty well in the NHL after a breakin period. Play like Orr does between fights, not much more.

I wouldn't say that Bourret is ready, defenitly not to compete with the guys already in NY. Bourret is still finding his ways in the AHL. His role in the NHL should be on a scoring line, and he must develop a bit more.

Of thoose 5 on the list I think really only Korpikoski could challenge for a spot if given a chance, Callahans offensive game is more developed, but Korpi got a edge on him in other areas.

Dubinsky seems to be comming on really really strong right now, and will contribute allot when he is able to take that last step to the NHL. As a center there is less room for misstakes, its a tougher role then on the wing.
I disagree about Byers...I personally think he plays like Hollweg but with better hands...I think he is light years better then Orr...At everything but fighting really....although Orr isn't Stu Grimson as some have tried to sell him as..

I'm not totally sold on him but he could've been a callup this season based on his play..he earned it IMHO

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
He played great in just ONE GAME against us... Minnesota traded him away for a reason (Defensive Liability) and his offensive ability wasn't enough of a compensating factor...
I've been watching him for a few tyears and he was not nor has ever been a defensive liability. I don't think the Rangers were shopping him as much as a great opportunity fell into their laps and we got Bourret. I'd make that deal any day.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:31 PM
xander

Quote:
Excuse my dear boy - please don't patronize me.

You ought to be careful things are not always what they seem. I was posting in this here site for far longer than you
but that's nor here nor there.

I have played pro hockey both in Europe and North America and I have playerd with Stanley Cup winners, Olympic gold medallists and World Champions, and owned a pro hockey franchise and coached an Elite hockey team. So I reckon I have a decent grip on what hockey is all about.

I have seen Dupuis play with Wild and I liked him then and I liked what I of him last night. I have seen Avery play in LA and impressive - he was not , and all of a sudden he can't do no wrong playing for us. Dupuis is an accomplished NHL player - 28 with 6 years in the in league playing for a very demanding coach. End of story. .

It is not like the Rangers have a history of grooming talent in numbers. NYR has is and always has been a talent
graveyard.

Bourret shmourret - he is no Crosby and I am seeing how much ice time in the show Jarkko Immonen is getting. Not exactly a lot. So Dupuis is a better hockey player than Ortmeyer, Orr, Isbister, Hollweg and (possibly Cullen) and that's a fact.

It's a question of getting a solid player now vs getting a solid player maybe 2 years from now.

Have you watched Dupuis this year? You obviously havn't watched Avery since the trade because he's been nothing short of magnificent. Dupuis is a third liner with nice speed, he's a dime a dozen player. I've certainly been more impressed with Ryan Callahan than I was with Dupuis when he was with the team, and Callahan wouldn't be up if Dupuis hadn't been moved.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
HockeyBurd*

Dupuis is a good penalty killer and a decent 3rd liner. No more no less. Dime a dozen.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:08 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
This guy is a stud! Can you imagine Dupuis along with Avery......

What did we get for him? A bag of pucks?
Drop the "s" and I think you are bit more accurate. We got a quality prospect for D Moore via Hall. Smart move by Sather. Turned a horrible trade, A Hall for D Moore in to a good trade for a young player with a good upside. The kid we got is a pain in the butt to play against, French Canadian version of Avery without the side commentary!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:

You ought to be careful things are not always what they seem. I was posting in this here site for far longer than you

I have played pro hockey both in Europe and North America and I have playerd with Stanley Cup winners, Olympic gold medallists and World Champions, and owned a pro hockey franchise and coached an Elite hockey team. So I reckon I have a decent grip on what hockey is all about.

I have seen Dupuis play with Wild and I liked him then and I liked what I of him last night. I have seen Avery play in LA and impressive - he was not , and all of a sudden he can't do no wrong playing for us. Dupuis is an accomplished NHL player - 28 with 6 years in the in league playing for a very demanding coach. End of story. .

graveyard.

Bourret shmourret - he is no Crosby and I am seeing how much ice time in the show Jarkko Immonen is getting. Not exactly a lot. So Dupuis is a better hockey player than Ortmeyer, Orr, Isbister, Hollweg and (possibly Cullen) and that's a fact.

No offense, but I can't imagine this "pro franchise" of yours was very good if you couldn't grasp the simple notion of moving a redundant player who is a UFA for a team's top prospect.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Umm... is this post a joke?
Exactly what I thought when I saw that thread.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:

graveyard.

Sorry, looking back at my post, it can really be read very differently than what I intended. I was trying to write my post in such a way that it didn't end up being patronizing -- I guess I failed. I have real respect for your hockey knowledge and your experience with the London Racers. Sincere apology.

Getting back on topic, regardless of how good he looks as a Thrasher or how good he was with the Wild, in the admittedly small handful of games he played with the Rangers, to me, it was obvious that Dupuis didn't add anything vital to this team. Personally, I thought he looked a lot like another Matt Cullen, but with worse finishing: nice, but we really only need one Matt. Taking that into consideration, come the opportunity to trade for Bourret, it really seemed to me like a no-brainer.

Last edited by 007: 04-14-2007 at 12:06 AM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Pizza

How's that cure for cancer going old chap Guess you were not kidding. The Rangers simply have numerous players like Pascal in the system. If Schoeny likes a prospect, that's good enough for me.

Bourret shmorret??? Cut back on the brown ale a bit. To get Bourret, Dupuis was totally expendable.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:56 AM
in the hall

Quote:

graveyard.

eh? i dont really get your response, the guy was standing up for you

and also please.. i don't care about your "credentials", if you had knowledge of bourret and this trade then i take back whatever thought i had in that the sarcastic responses were undeserved because this deal was a no brainer and you should get mocked for suggesting otherwise.. especially when its based on one game

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Sorry, looking back at my post, it can really be read very differently than what I intended. I was trying to write my post in such a way that it didn't end up being patronizing -- I guess I failed. I have real respect for your hockey knowledge and your experience with the London Racers. Sincere apology.

Getting back on topic, regardless of how good he looks as a Thrasher or how good he was with the Wild, in the admittedly small handful of games he played with the Rangers, to me, it was obvious that Dupuis didn't add anything vital to this team. Personally, I thought he looked a lot like another Matt Cullen, but with worse finishing: nice, but we really only need one Matt. Taking that into consideration, come the opportunity to trade for Bourret, it really seemed to me like a no-brainer.
Cool - sorry I overreacted a bit.

Clear Dupuis didn't fit I can see that. But the guy has played some 5-6 years under
Lemaire and that to me says a lot. Avery in LA was not the player he is now with the
Rangers.

For my money TODAY I rather would have Dupuis than Bourret - because Bourret will have tough time getting into the line up if player of Immonen's caliber can't.

Let's go Rangers.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Pascal had the game of his life. I only wish he stayed in NY longer to get more legs out of his movie poster

That is funny stuff!!!!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
This guy is a stud! Can you imagine Dupuis along with Avery......
They Are Not A Good Match And Remember Sean doesnt Think highly of French Canadians with face shields , Dupius didnt look that good in the game, he scored a soft goal and didn't really do much else. As Shanny said in the interview yesterday " We Gave Them a Few Gifts ", and that goal was certainly one of the gift goals !! i fail to see a role for Dupuis on this team we already have better penalty killers than him (Betts , Orts) and Cullen has his speed , Cullen > Dupius !

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 10:10 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

What was thinking behind trading Dupuis? Simple...the Rangers were in 12th place in the Eastern Conference, they had prospects in Hartford like Callahan and Dubinsky they wanted to give some ice time to, while Dupuis was a pending UFA they didn't have interest in re-signing and were offered a quality prospect they long had interest in...it's called proper asset management. Pretty self-evident to me.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 10:17 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Clear Dupuis didn't fit I can see that. But the guy has played some 5-6 years under
Lemaire and that to me says a lot. Avery in LA was not the player he is now with the
Rangers.

For my money TODAY I rather would have Dupuis than Bourret - because Bourret will have tough time getting into the line up if player of Immonen's caliber can't.

Let's go Rangers.
There's your first mistake. Immonen is hardly the standard-bearer by which to judge Ranger prospects. IMO, I'd be surprised if he remained in the Ranger organization past this summer. Callahan has already surpassed him, most likely, so has Dubinsky. Forward prospects like Pyatt, Dupont and Anisimov are headed for Hartford next year, Dubinsky is considered a strong candidate for promotion, and judging by the organization's handling of Immonen, it does not appear they consider him an integral part of the future. The truth is, there was an opening at the center position coming into the season, which many Ranger observers believe was ear-marked for Immonen, and he did nothing to earn that spot. Most likely, Immonen's chances to be a Ranger long term have already passed him by.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 10:32 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

I'm with most of the posters who agree with the Dupuis trade; from the Rangers standpoint we got a pretty good prospect who adds more depth at the forward position and if he reaches his potential then we have a gritty 2nd line player who can put points on the board. However be aware! Do not bash Dupuis too much because this guy has a history of turning it up a few notches in the playoffs; he was Atlanta's most dangerous player in game 1.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
There's your first mistake. Immonen is hardly the standard-bearer by which to judge Ranger prospects. IMO, I'd be surprised if he remained in the Ranger organization past this summer. Callahan has already surpassed him, most likely, so has Dubinsky. Forward prospects like Pyatt, Dupont and Anisimov are headed for Hartford next year, Dubinsky is considered a strong candidate for promotion, and judging by the organization's handling of Immonen, it does not appear they consider him an integral part of the future. The truth is, there was an opening at the center position coming into the season, which many Ranger observers believe was ear-marked for Immonen, and he did nothing to earn that spot. Most likely, Immonen's chances to be a Ranger long term have already passed him by.

Agreed. The Ranger brass are not impressed with Jarkko. Skating would appear to be the main thing. A center in the Rangers system has to have more speed than Jarkko.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Well i would like to think the whole point of the trade was to get an seet that could be quit useful for other teams, so why not take a chance and they made out good, also the guy sucks and has no place here on this team. I dont see him as a 1st or 2nd not really a third cause we got others to fill there and a watse on the 4th so i say lets say **** him, andNYR did, which is hwy they traded him.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:

Rangers.

Let's go Rangers.
I think Immonen's potential is nowhere near where Bourret is projected, it's the sort of gamble you have to take when you're not going to keep Dupuis anyways.

I also have to disagree about Avery not being the same player in LA, ask some Kings fans, he performed mighty fine there as well. It's his comments that they didn't like. I think all in all he just fits the Rangers better than he fits in LA because they are deep into rebuild mode while the Rangers are going for it now.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Dupuis didn't fit on the Rangers, and Bourret didn't fit on our farm. He had bad camps with us and wasn't working out in Chicago.

I had very high hopes for him in Atlanta, and everyone was saying that he would be a stud for us. He was terrible in the few games I've seen him play in preseason, but it's clear that he has the tools...he just needs to get in better shape and be more focused. I don't believe that he was willing to do that for us, and that's not completely his fault at all.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Nemchinov13

I can't believe that this discussion is actually taking place. Wow.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote