HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Crazy Idea #2 : trade up and draft Kane and Gagner

Old
04-13-2007, 02:02 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I'd do it.

Also, I'm not all that sold on Gagner, but again, I'm not sold on any of the players we can draft at #12. So I think that #12 + 2nd round for a player who is underrated is a good deal.

PS I love trailer park boys too!
The Hawks wouldn't.

They want to play for a playoff spot next year. They will probably try to trade Khabibulin. I know it's a long shot but:

To CHI: Brad Richards and Marc Denis

To TB: Nikolai Khabibulin and Cam Barker

Then:

To CHI: Cristobal Huet, Kyle Chipchura and SJ 1st round pick

To MTL: 1st overall

Then:

To ???: Alexander Perezhogin and 12th overall

To MTL: 7th overall

I think we should go that way. I know that Gainey will not do it but I think that's what it would take to have a contender team for years to come.

I wouldn't care to see the team loose since I would know that they finally did all they can to give us a great team in a couple years.

Let's not forget that we would have a shot at John Tavares for the 2008 draft.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
MM425

Simply put: attempting to obtain the 1st overall pick this year isn't worth sacrificing the future.

Sure, Kane, Ganger, Turris, ect. could turn out to be terrific players... but they'res just as good of a chance that the player we draft at 12 could turn out to be better than the one drafted at #1. It's one of those drafts.

All this talk of trading Price, Ryder, Chipchura, and Huet plus picks to move up is foolish.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
The Hawks wouldn't.

They want to play for a playoff spot next year. They will probably try to trade Khabibulin. I know it's a long shot but:

To CHI: Brad Richards and Marc Denis

To TB: Nikolai Khabibulin and Cam Barker

Then:

To CHI: Cristobal Huet, Kyle Chipchura and SJ 1st round pick

To MTL: 1st overall

Then:

To ???: Alexander Perezhogin and 12th overall

To MTL: 7th overall

I think we should go that way. I know that Gainey will not do it but I think that's what it would take to have a contender team for years to come.

I wouldn't care to see the team loose since I would know that they finally did all they can to give us a great team in a couple years.

Let's not forget that we would have a shot at John Tavares for the 2008 draft.
I don't think the Hawks would bite, because the #1 overall pick is always overvalued (unless there is a Sidney Crosby). There is no concencus as who will be picked at #1, so I'd try to grab a top five pick instead to pick Kane or Cherepanov. But, if the Hawks bite, I'd do your trade(s) in a heartbeat. Perezhogin + #12 is interesting, although I'd rather trade a second than Perez, who is our Afinogenov.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Simply put: attempting to obtain the 1st overall pick this year isn't worth sacrificing the future.

Sure, Kane, Ganger, Turris, ect. could turn out to be terrific players... but they'res just as good of a chance that the player we draft at 12 could turn out to be better than the one drafted at #1. It's one of those drafts.

All this talk of trading Price, Ryder, Chipchura, and Huet plus picks to move up is foolish.
I never said I wanted the Hawks pick...

Old
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:

Price is the future. Not Ryder, Chipchura and Huet. I would for sure include them in any deal just to have the chance to draft someone who could become the franchise player we need.

Old
04-13-2007, 02:19 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
I don't think the Hawks would bite, because the #1 overall pick is always overvalued (unless there is a Sidney Crosby). There is no concencus as who will be picked at #1, so I'd try to grab a top five pick instead to pick Kane or Cherepanov. But, if the Hawks bite, I'd do your trade(s) in a heartbeat. Perezhogin + #12 is interesting, although I'd rather trade a second than Perez, who is our Afinogenov.
Kane has a lot of chances to be the 1st overall pick. If we really want him, that's the pick we have to target.

If he's still there when the Flyers pick, they will take him for sure, no doubt about that.

Getting Kane is interesting but let be honest. To do so, we need to get the 1st overall.

Old
04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Kane has a lot of chances to be the 1st overall pick. If we really want him, that's the pick we have to target.

If he's still there when the Flyers pick, they will take him for sure, no doubt about that.

Getting Kane is interesting but let be honest. To do so, we need to get the 1st overall.
If Kane is gone, there are Cherepanov or Turris. I think the top 3 of the draft is a wash, Kane, Turris and Cherepanov are as good, IMO. As a matter of fact, my first choice, if I was drafting, would be Cherepanov, not Kane. And plz, don't give me that crap about russians, take a look at what Montreal, the moderator, wrote about the topic... Russian players are as good as NA players.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 04-13-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Cherepanov...
Old
04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Price is the future. Not Ryder, Chipchura and Huet. I would for sure include them in any deal just to have the chance to draft someone who could become the franchise player we need.
+1, even if I think that Kane or Cherepanov = future like Price = future.

BTW, Turris is a speed monster and a sniper. Imagine him on a line with Koivu (or Brière, for that matter)... it'd be sick. Reports tell that he already has NHL speed. I also think that he has a good close to NHL or NHL shot. If I drafted him, I'd promote him to the NHL andf play him with Koivu and Higgins. It'd be a hell of a speedy and scoring line complimented by Higgins "grittiness", even if it's not the word I'm looking for.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 04-13-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Turris
Old
04-13-2007, 02:41 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
I'd rather have good rookies than Bonk, Johnson, Kovalev, Sammy, Bouillon, Begin, Dandy and their deadweight salary. My plan is to get rid of the deadwood and replace it with rookies and our own UFAs + Timmonen, which is a good acquisition. As I explained, I think that the team I've put on paper is better, has a better defence and is more explosive than the team we had this year (which didn't even make the playoffs). It's not even rebuilding because we keep our core.
there is also a minimum cap hit that team must be at...

Habs Prospects website

Last edited by habsprospects: 04-13-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:42 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
If Kane is gone, there are Cherepanov or Turris. I think the top 3 of the draft is a wash, Kane, Turris and Cherepanov are as good, IMO. As a matter of fact, my first choice, if I was drafting, would be Cherepanov, not Kane. And plz, don't give me that crap about russians, take a look at what Montreal, the moderator, wrote about the topic... Russian players are as good as NA players.
But then, we wouldn' have the Kost-Gagner-Kane line...

Seriously, I think that Cherepanov is the only one in the draft to have a superstar potential. That said, I would probably take Kane before him.

Old
04-13-2007, 02:44 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
there is also a minimum cap hit thet team must be at...
Koivu + Souray + Markov + Timonen...

I'm not saying we would be able to to sign Timonen but I think that FF idea is pretty good. Gainey will never go that way but I would REALLY like it.

Old
04-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Habs 1st + SJ 1st + Wash 3rd + Chipchura

for 1st overall??
Quote:
The Hawks wouldn't.

Chicago isn't giving up any immediate future in the package I'd offer. Plus they have get a potential future NHL captain who is NHL ready.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Chicago isn't giving up any immediate future in the package I'd offer. Plus they have get a potential future NHL captain who is NHL ready.
I know what you're saying. But i talked with a few Blackhawks fans and they want established players. They're tired to loose. They want to be in the playoffs.

Old
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Drive425

Quote:
I know what you're saying. But i talked with a few Blackhawks fans and they want established players. They're tired to loose. They want to be in the playoffs.
Ya, it must really suck to be a Hawks fan!!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:00 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
But then, we wouldn' have the Kost-Gagner-Kane line...

Seriously, I think that Cherepanov is the only one in the draft to have a superstar potential. That said, I would probably take Kane before him.
I know, it kills me too! IU'd love to see that line... But, again, there are many things that we can do with out team this summer, many directions to decide taking.

Old
04-13-2007, 03:05 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Just like that, if we decide to rebuild :

Koivu, maybe Chipchura and SJ 1st for #1 overall. (or we can ante up to get one of their young D-man that they have in excess)
Then #12 + 2nd rounder for Gagner
And...
We have a S. Kost-Gagner-Kane line

With the money we have, we can sign Souray and Markov, and either retain Kovalev or try to bid on Timmonen or\and Brière...

Old
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
MM425

Kane, Ganger, Turris, Voracek... all should turn out to be fine NHLers.

Franchise players though? Not so much... I highly doubt anybody in this draft year will be playing in the league next year... barring a suprise.

I understand people's logic here. They want to draft the next offensive superstar that can be a Hab for years to come. Unfortunately this isn't the year to do it. Coveting a high pick this year is foolish because they'res a darn good chance that the best player that comes out of this draft could be out of the top 5 ( a la' 2000 where the Sens stole Havlat in the late 1st round).

Stick with our picks. If there's a move to be made that benefits the current roster (trading Samsonov or Kovalev) then by all means, do it. But moving up and sacrificing current valueable assets like Ryder, Perezhogin, and Huet? Silly IMO

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Kane, Ganger, Turris, Voracek... all should turn out to be fine NHLers.

Franchise players though? Not so much... I highly doubt anybody in this draft year will be playing in the league next year... barring a suprise.

I understand people's logic here. They want to draft the next offensive superstar that can be a Hab for years to come. Unfortunately this isn't the year to do it. Coveting a high pick this year is foolish because they'res a darn good chance that the best player that comes out of this draft could be out of the top 5 ( a la' 2000 where the Sens stole Havlat in the late 1st round).

Stick with our picks. If there's a move to be made that benefits the current roster (trading Samsonov or Kovalev) then by all means, do it. But moving up and sacrificing current valueable assets like Ryder, Perezhogin, and Huet? Silly IMO
Kane can become a star. His only issue is his size, and in the new NHL, it's not that much of an issue anymore, depending on what type of game you play, and we don't play a big boys game anyways.

Cherepanov can become a star as well, he has all it takes... the only thing is that he is a little slow, but again, considering his game, what counts are instincs, passing skills and shooting skills. He has it all except speed.

I agree with you, none of these will be "superstars", but because of that, some teams will be tempted top trade them... which is good for us because there won't be king's ransom kind of trades like there would have been with Crosby, Ovenchkin or Kovalchuk. Kane and Cherepanov will become Spezza type of players, so I expect a Spezza kind of trade : something valuable, but not too much.

Old
04-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

There were some rumours that the Hawks really wanted Samsonov,maybe they would trade us their 1st overall

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
There were some rumours that the Hawks really wanted Samsonov,maybe they would trade us their 1st overall
Hehehehe...

Old
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Just like that, if we decide to rebuild :

Koivu, maybe Chipchura and SJ 1st for #1 overall. (or we can ante up to get one of their young D-man that they have in excess)
Then #12 + 2nd rounder for Gagner
And...
We have a S. Kost-Gagner-Kane line

With the money we have, we can sign Souray and Markov, and either retain Kovalev or try to bid on Timmonen or\and Brière...
That line might work in the OHL, but they are a little undersized for the NHL.

If you want a star player in our system, trade for next year's first rounders, get a chance to go for players like Stamkos or Doughty.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That line might work in the OHL, but they are a little undersized for the NHL.

If you want a star player in our system, trade for next year's first rounders, get a chance to go for players like Stamkos or Doughty.
I don't believe size is an issue in the new NHL. I believe that the habs facilities and coaching staff are better than in the junior leagues. Finally, I believe that having talented young players on your team (if they play) develops your rookies faster and saves up a lot of cash.

Old
04-13-2007, 04:26 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

The guy we need is John Tavares. I don't care about what Gainey does to get him but we need him. (next year of course)

A TRUE SUPERSTAR!

Old
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I don't believe size is an issue in the new NHL. I believe that the habs facilities and coaching staff are better than in the junior leagues. Finally, I believe that having talented young players on your team (if they play) develops your rookies faster and saves up a lot of cash.
Size is an issue if the whole line is under 6 feet tall and 180 lbs. If you dispersed them among other lines with bigger players then no, it's not that big of an issue.

You also mention saving cap space. For what? The only players in your roster that would make more than $4 million are Koivu, Markov, Souray and Timmonen. Where does the rest of the money go to? Saved cap space does not translate to the next season. You have $48 million (more than likely next year's cap) then you have to spend it, there's no point in saving it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:50 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Size is an issue if the whole line is under 6 feet tall and 180 lbs. If you dispersed them among other lines with bigger players then no, it's not that big of an issue.

You also mention saving cap space. For what? The only players in your roster that would make more than $4 million are Koivu, Markov, Souray and Timmonen. Where does the rest of the money go to? Saved cap space does not translate to the next season. You have $48 million (more than likely next year's cap) then you have to spend it, there's no point in saving it.
Talent, skills and speed are more important than size. If they play against bigger players, especially since no one will use it's best line against a rookie line unless they play too well, they will skate in circles around them.