HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Woywitka

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Hemsky01

vCash: 500
Jeff Woywitka

Just wondering about people's general opinion of him? I have seen him play twice in junior and I thought he was a terrific prospect, and I would actually compare him to Wade Redden (not as offensive, but bigger). This comparison was also made in the Hockey News Future Watch. You don't seem to notice him all game and yet he plays a ton and has a few pts. I read through my Hockey new Future Watch from the last few years and looked at prospect rankings and I would say he ranks right up there with Hamius, ahead of Komiserek (who couldn't even make a weak Montreal team, and Whitney(pens). Any thoughts? Anybody else see him play junior and have an impression?

Old
12-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I read through my Hockey new Future Watch from the last few years and looked at prospect rankings and I would say he ranks right up there with Hamius, ahead of Komiserek (who couldn't even make a weak Montreal team, and Whitney(pens). Any thoughts? Anybody else see him play junior and have an impression?
I think the general concensus is that he is a step below the Komisarek and Hamhuis class. They both project to be really solid 1/2 d-men while Woywitka looks like he'll become a 3/4 guy in the NHL.. I'm encouraged by the number of comparisons I've heard to Redden however! Who knows, maybe he'll end up surprising a lot of people.. I myself expect him to end up being a slightly more mobile Jason Smith in the NHL with a bit less of a mean streak.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I would say he ranks right up there with Hamius, ahead of Komiserek (who couldn't even make a weak Montreal team, and Whitney(pens).
Difference between upside and development

I think he'll be a solid No. 2 guy

Old
12-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Slats432

I would call him a 2/3 guy...I think that he will have average offensive skill but very good defensive skill.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
The way it sounds to me we could compare our top 3 propsective d-men to current Oilers a bit like this:

Woywitka - Staios (solid defence with decent offensive abilities.)

Lynch - Smith

Greene - The Psycho crusher, forward pulveriser, 100% defensively minded player we don't have today.

I say bring it on, we look great in the system now.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:45 AM
serum114

IMO, from seeing him play a few times in junior and reading up on him (I've long been a HUGE fan, and was so happy we got him), he will most likely develop into a Jason Smith type 2/3 D man, however if everything falls into place could have Adam Foote like upside.

Granted, he could also end up as Smith on a bad day, a 3/4 guy who takes care of his own end but does little else.

My 2 cents...

Old
12-18-2003, 11:48 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
The way it sounds to me we could compare our top 3 propsective d-men to current Oilers a bit like this:

Woywitka - Staios (solid defence with decent offensive abilities.)

Lynch - Smith

Greene - The Psycho crusher, forward pulveriser, 100% defensively minded player we don't have today.

I say bring it on, we look great in the system now.
Not to be combative, but I see Lynch as more of a Staios type (balanced, 3/4 guy) and Woywitka as the Smith type (defense-first, 2/3 banger).

My 2 cents... again :-)

Old
12-18-2003, 11:53 AM
O.T.

I've been watching tapes of last years WJC and paying close attention to Jeff. But I cannot get a good read on what type of defenseman he is. Everything I read says that he is a guy that can support or lead the rush, and Brent Sutter compared his style to Brewer, but I just don't see it, I don't see the offensive upside that others do.

I see a potential 20-25 point man in the NHL, that plays his postition well, and does what is asked of him. I think he will hit, but will not go out of his way to take someone's head off. Personnally I see a defenseman that is very good at positioning, and has very good hockey sense.

The more I think about it the more I cannot compare him to anyone in the NHL. I think that he may be a mix of an Eric Brewer and a Robyn Regehr. Take a few qualities of each of those two, and you come up with Jeff Woywitka style IMO. I think he will be a very good #3-#4 defenseman and I would be very pleased with that.

By the way I am happy with the trade, and am glad that he is now in the Oilers system.

BTW I found this top 30 prospect list at: http://www.wowhockey.com/article1488.html
They really like him.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
serum114

Great comparaison O.T., I think Regehr is a very realistic expectation.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Oilers1*

When he was drafted, I remember the Flyers comparing him to Dan McGillis and from what I've read and from the World Juniors, I think that seems pretty valid. Very similar size (both 6'2, McGillis currently outweighs Woywitka by 25 pounds but that could change) and, it seems, style of play; McGillis uses his size effectively, is a solid but not pulveriving hitter and, while not oozing skill, usually manages decent point totals (cracked 45 twice with Philly).

Hopefully, he's a little better skater than McGillis. If he is, then that seems like a top-end no.3 to me.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Not to be combative, but I see Lynch as more of a Staios type (balanced, 3/4 guy) and Woywitka as the Smith type (defense-first, 2/3 banger).

My 2 cents... again :-)
Actually I think Woywitka may be a bit like todays version of Brew (big, mobile, decent defense and a few points thrown in) but Brew may have some additional offensive upside.

Green = Smith (but maybe meaner and more mobile - how nice is that?)
Lynch = Staios
Semi = some version of Chara? - but it depends how he develops

We keep MAB around as a pure offense 6/7 and we are laughing on d people - just laughing. That's why I like this trade a lot. Woywitka is about the same age as Greene and Lynch and not that much younger than Brew, Semi and MAB. Plus we get another #1 pick this year - great. I really think that Woywitka was the best young dman who was actually available to us - and only because Philly also has Pitkaanen, Siedenberg and Vandermeer. On a team with less high-end depth he's untouchable.

The last piece of the puzzle is a 22-23 year old goalie who could work with Conks next year. IMHO Emery would be perfect for this team. I would seriously consider shipping JDD and somethng else to Ottawa for Emery. We need a guy who can play next year - not 3 years down the line like JDD - and Emery is pretty much ready now. Other possibilities include Nononen, Bryzgalov and maybe Biron (but he's older and a bit pricy). No way we get Miller, Oulette, Lehtonen etc.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
james

red deer rebels

I lived in red deer and went to many rebels games....the company I worked for had 6 seats and they were an easy tickets to get..... I remember always hearing "WOOOO WITTKAW" about twice every game. He was a fan favorite there...and will be here....it amazed me how many great young d-men they had....lynch before being traded, phaneuf, woywitka and rawlyk.....I think it's great to have a captain and an assistant from the team that won the mem. cup both in the oilers depth charts....and Stoll was a captain on another team that won the mem. cup....I like the way the oilers are building a team from past champions.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The sick thing is, Lynch could be ready next season.

His play this year has been light years ahead of Semenov's rookie year, and Lynch is playing on a weaker team, and with more responsibilities.

The only hard part is, how do you work him in. The Oilers are already having a tough time working Semi and Bergie in, adding a 3rd person to that will be rather rough. It certainly won't hurt Lynch to play another year in the A, but IMO, he is better off playing 45-50 games in the NHL as a part time 7th defenceman.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
I lived in red deer and went to many rebels games....the company I worked for had 6 seats and they were an easy tickets to get..... I remember always hearing "WOOOO WITTKAW" about twice every game. He was a fan favorite there...and will be here....it amazed me how many great young d-men they had....lynch before being traded, phaneuf, woywitka and rawlyk.....I think it's great to have a captain and an assistant from the team that won the mem. cup both in the oilers depth charts....and Stoll was a captain on another team that won the mem. cup....I like the way the oilers are building a team from past champions.
Since you went to a few Rebels games can you tell me what style he plays. I hear everything from offensive, to very mean punishing hitter, to has lots of heart, to lacks drive. Can you please clear this up, and tell all us Oiler fans how, and what style he plays.

Thanks in advance.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:21 PM
PineJockey

Quote:

This is a great point IMO. Leadership comes, to a certain extent, from just lasting a long time (Moreau, et al); but there are certain people who are leaders throughout their entire career and they are the most valuable types of leaders. I too like the way we are getting past champions, captains, etc. Heck, if you look at how much influence the Habs and Oil dynasties have throughout the league right now it is pretty easy to see the impact that having past winners in your organization has.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

When I look at Lynch and Woywitka, I see different mixes of Smith and Staios:

Lynch - 2/3 Staios, 1/3 Smith
Woywitka - 2/3 Smith, 1/3 Staios

It was hard for me to think of any one guy to describe either one...Lynch plays somewhat like Staios, but is 6'3" & 214 lbs (Staios is 6'1" & 200). Woywitka seems more defensive minded, but is more mobile than Smith and maybe not quite as abrasive.

I can see why they made such a good pair down in the dub.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

His play this year has been light years ahead of Semenov's rookie year, and Lynch is playing on a weaker team, and with more responsibilities.

The only hard part is, how do you work him in. The Oilers are already having a tough time working Semi and Bergie in, adding a 3rd person to that will be rather rough. It certainly won't hurt Lynch to play another year in the A, but IMO, he is better off playing 45-50 games in the NHL as a part time 7th defenceman.
Dawgbone, How about Luoma? I remember he was tagged as being on the Oilers' starting lineup opening night. From the limited times I've seen him, he hasn't really impressed. Think there's a chance he gets the call or is it just an emergency, emergency, emergency call up?

Old
12-18-2003, 12:42 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Dawgbone, How about Luoma? I remember he was tagged as being on the Oilers' starting lineup opening night. From the limited times I've seen him, he hasn't really impressed. Think there's a chance he gets the call or is it just an emergency, emergency, emergency call up?
For someone who was supposed to be a good puck moving defenceman, and someone who could anchor the power play, I sure haven't seen it.

It could be that he is getting used to the North American game, but he hasn't done anything to warrant a callup, IMO.

Old
12-18-2003, 01:17 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

This is where the "Jason Smith to be traded?" rumours start... (or continue, rather)

If Woywitka is really close to being NHL-ready (apparently was the last d-man cut at the Flyers camp in Sept), and Lynch is looking that way, too...there needs to be room for them in the lineup.

Ferguson could be moved, although he's still a pretty decent guy for a 7th d-man...cheap and generally reliable, won't rust by sitting out, etc.

Cross, perhaps, but the Oilers just signed him toa 3-yr deal & likely wouldn't ship him off too soon (a la Isbister).

Staios? No way. Semenov, same, Bergeron - likely couldn't get that much for him anyway, but he's improving and provides that offensive side we need.

So we're down to Brewer or Smith...Brewer is young enough that he could still develop further into the guy everyone thought he could be a couple years ago, so it's risky to move him, but the potential reward could be pretty good.

Smith seems the most likely as he's due for arbitration this summer again, and then for UFA status the year after. UNLESS he signs a longer-term deal like Staios/Smyth/Moreau, he could end up being the guy to go. Will he take less to stay in Edmonton? I'm not too sure about that. In fact, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised, after the arbitration deal earlier. So he seems to be the likely candidate to be dealt, perhaps at the deadline, or maybe at the draft.

But I sure like the sounds of our defensive depth all of a sudden - thanks for your input on Lynch in particular!

Bart

Old
12-18-2003, 01:19 PM
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T.
Since you went to a few Rebels games can you tell me what style he plays. I hear everything from offensive, to very mean punishing hitter, to has lots of heart, to lacks drive. Can you please clear this up, and tell all us Oiler fans how, and what style he plays.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff is alot like phanuef IMO....that rebels team seemed to be all over the ice and whenever there was a group of players in front of the net either offensive or defencive zone, you can bet either woywitka or phanuef was in there stirring the pot.

funny thing was you'd try to follow the play but next thing you knew the puck was dropped back to the blue line and the d was shooting it in...I was impressed at how many goals the rebels d had. If phanuef is a mini scott stevens then woywitka is a mini holik but only as a d man.
the more I think about it the more it makes sense....hits hard....skates into trouble...makes the defensive play first....and it always in the other teams face...plus he only ever seemed to have one attitude....winning.

I can't really think of another d man that would compare...Mini Hatcher?

Old
12-18-2003, 01:26 PM
O.T.

Quote:
Jeff is alot like phanuef IMO....that rebels team seemed to be all over the ice and whenever there was a group of players in front of the net either offensive or defencive zone, you can bet either woywitka or phanuef was in there stirring the pot.

funny thing was you'd try to follow the play but next thing you knew the puck was dropped back to the blue line and the d was shooting it in...I was impressed at how many goals the rebels d had. If phanuef is a mini scott stevens then woywitka is a mini holik but only as a d man.
the more I think about it the more it makes sense....hits hard....skates into trouble...makes the defensive play first....and it always in the other teams face...plus he only ever seemed to have one attitude....winning.

I can't really think of another d man that would compare...Mini Hatcher?
Thanks, so he is a defence first, offense second player. But his offense is not to shabby. I remember a while ago how everyone said he was mean, and hit well (your comments back this up). But since the trade to the Oilers I have heard alot of him being a puckmover that is not mean, or much of a hitter.

This is good news, I love mean hitting defenseman!

Thanks

Old
12-18-2003, 04:05 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Lynch - 2/3 Staios, 1/3 Smith
Woywitka - 2/3 Smith, 1/3 Staios

It was hard for me to think of any one guy to describe either one...Lynch plays somewhat like Staios, but is 6'3" & 214 lbs (Staios is 6'1" & 200). Woywitka seems more defensive minded, but is more mobile than Smith and maybe not quite as abrasive.
And didn't both Lynch and Staios play a bit of forward?
Man, I'm excited about the potential of having a Staios-Smith and Lynch-Woywitka combo on our blueline. It'll be like staring into the future.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
yeah Staios played Forward in Atlanta maybe Vancouver too

Old
12-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Hemsky01

I'm sorry but I just don't see the Smith Comparisons other than they are the same size and are in the same organization.(maybe its just me) Jeff is not the kind of defensemen that will take off your head, and is a way better skater and puckhandler than Smith. I still like the Redden Comparison. And somebody please tell me how this guy is any worse than Komiserek.(And I'm not talking about those unbiased Hab fans out there). I think Hamius is maybe a little above him but its interesting that Woywitka won WHL defenseman of the year which Hamius to my knowledge never did.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:50 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Just wondering about people's general opinion of him? I have seen him play twice in junior and I thought he was a terrific prospect, and I would actually compare him to Wade Redden (not as offensive, but bigger). This comparison was also made in the Hockey News Future Watch. You don't seem to notice him all game and yet he plays a ton and has a few pts. I read through my Hockey new Future Watch from the last few years and looked at prospect rankings and I would say he ranks right up there with Hamius, ahead of Komiserek (who couldn't even make a weak Montreal team, and Whitney(pens). Any thoughts? Anybody else see him play junior and have an impression?

Let me just make it clear.
Whitney is not ahead of him because he is still in College.
Whitney is projected to be better.

But Woywitka will be good for the Oilers. He's an awesome prospect. He has what it takes to become a Redden-type player. The Whitney comparison isn't good. Whitney is more defensive (Derian Hatcher type), while Woywitka is a bit more offensive (Redden type).

Closed Thread