Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

A disturbing atricle on the Broncos

Old
04-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
A disturbing atricle on the Broncos

I just read This rather disturbing article over on the ESPN site about the Swift Current Broncos. The two things that really bothered me about this article are:

1) it portrays the Swift Current community in a negative light. I've personally never been there, but have met some people who were from there and they were very pleasant and easy-going.

2) FAR too much of the article is spent on the whole Graham James incident. If the article was ABOUT the incident and not about the tragic bus crash, then it might have been appropriate but IMO the Graham James incident really overshadows that tragedy that is SUPPOSE to be what the article is about.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
I think that the article likely was, at first, intended to shed more light on that horrendous accident 20 years ago - however, I'm thinking that as the author did more research, they found more than they probably could've imagined with regards to the Broncos, and the community and really the lack of recognition, I suppose you could say, of said accident.

Personally, I had never really read much about the bus crash. I knew about it, knew of the players involved, but it was never really something I knew a lot of.

I personally think the article is wonderfully written, and as its title suggests, I believe the article does a wonderful job of describing WHY the community has sort of turned it's back on the team...

That being said, I believe there is a quote from a current Bronco in the article saying how he's not comfortable at school, etc, etc...well, that's how it is in MOST towns with Jr hockey teams. It's just how it is. The hockey guys get cut a lot of slack at school, they get the girls, and it really pisses a lot of the other guys off...it happens. Doesn't matter whether you are in Swift Current, Prince George, or Vancouver...

All in all though, tough to hold back tears reading that article

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

What I find most dissapointing is that the people of Swift Current, no offense to anyone who is from there, do not rally around this franchise and take pride in it. I know some rough things happened there, and reading from the article, I can see how the shadow was cast over the franchise, but it's very dissapointing to hear the way the players get treated there. It's no wonder that team can't manufacture a winning season no matter what they try.

If I were a fan from Swift, I would take this and run with it "our franchise has survived a terrible, tragic history, yet we continue to thrive."

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
fong p88

I was born in Swift Current but moved away when I was two. We have been there for tournaments the last five years and the city is actually pretty nice. I don't know anyone from there but two of my friends played AAA there recently and didn't have many good things to say.

Edit: Trent Kresse was also from Kinderlsey where I crrently live. They give out the Trent Kresse Most Inspirational Player to a midget A player every year

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote