HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues players join canadian national team

Old
04-28-2007, 09:26 PM
St.Louis sports fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
*** are you talking about? this has to be one of the most misguided posts I've ever read. You think Mayers lacks motivation? Are you out of your mind? The one thing this guy has going for his is he busts it on every shift. He's plenty motivated. If motivation were skills he'd be a madman. He works and skates as hard as any Blues player. I don't know what Jammer you're referring to but it isn't the one that plays for the Blues.
And no, he can't play. At all. He's got great wheels but no hands whatsoever. So you're totally wrong on both counts. He's constantly motivated and he basically can't play, except for his really good skating. He has no shot to speak of and he's an inept playmaker. His defensive reads are vastly overrated and he's not that great of a faceoff man, although that's what he does best, other than forecheck. He can't play. Either way you're wrong.
First of all I never said that Jammer couldn't play. Second of all I would suggest that you go back and look at the tape of the games this season. He by no means gives his all on every shift. He had games where he was the only Blue that showed up especially in the physical department, but he disappears at times. It is a fact that we've discussed on this board for the last 5 years. Where was he when the Blues were getting manhandled by Steve Begin? and Jordan Tootoo? I'll give him a pass on Boogard because he is a heavyweight, but there were many a night when a pest wreeked havoc on the Blues and he was Casper the ghost. He stood up many times this season as I said, but many more he didn't except to fight Jim "the cat" Hayes.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Gman7191

Quote:
You're out of your mind. You think you're so smart by nitpicking at tiny aspects of Mayers performance and claiming that "he doesn't play hard" or whatever junk you're floating... his game is always the same, shift to shift, season in and season out. He's a remarkably consistent player. So you think he should have retaliated once or twice in the season where he didn't. Right. Like you're an expert. You don't have nut one to talk about what Mayers should or shouldn't do when it comes to taking on other players.
Mayers puts more into a single game than a dozen euro floaters combined. Don't give me this junk about him not fighting enough to make you happy.
You'd "suggest I go back and look at the tapes from this season" you freakin' smart ass? I suggest you pull your head out of your hindsack, ace. You clearly don't know lick one about hockey and I'd be shocked if you ever skated once in your life.
I suggest you pick up Hockey For Dummies. Duh, how's that for stupid sarcasm, nitwit?
Amen. Mayers has a job on this hockey team. Someone like Heatly's job is to score. However Mayers job is to go out and skate hard (which he does), kill penalties (which he is one of the best in the league at), and to stick up for teamates (which he does night in and night out). Plus standing up for your team doesn't mean you have to get in a fight. It wasnt because Boogard was to big that Mayers didn't fight him trust me. When Mayers is going to even think about fighting, he isnt thinking how big the guy is.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
In '05-'06 Mayers had 129 PIM in just 67 games and in '06-'07 he had 89 PIM in 80 games. While that doesn't tell the entire story he is also a career -59 player in his career and he's a defensive forward. With him it's not about the goals, but he's relied upon for toughness and defense and he's very inconsistent at both.
If those statistics PROVE that he's very inconsistent on defence, why would Murray, a competent NHL coach, play Mayers so much during the regular season (including the PK), and then risk his reputation, by choosing him for The Canadian National Team? It's not like he didn't have decent players to choose from.

A lot of those PIMs came from roughing and fighting penalties he got from standing up for his teammates. From what I've seen of his play, I doubt that he got a lot of them from having been out of the play (at least not any more than the average defensive forward).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
St.Louis sports fan

That was point about the PIM. He showed this year that he was not as willing to get involved as last year. Moving on Stempy had two more goals today.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
That was point about the PIM. He showed this year that he was not as willing to get involved as last year. Moving on Stempy had two more goals today.
You can't just look at statistics, dryly, and make judgements from them. You have to watch the games. This past season both Walker played a lot more minutes, and King played some. Both provided some "sticking up for his teammates" that Mayers didn't have to provide. He was counted upon more for that in '05-'06 because of the makeup of The Blues' roster.

How does that show that Mayers is "inconsistant" at providing what his role on the team dictates?

I repeat: Murray wouldn't have played him so much in Blues games, nor would he have chosen him to The Canadian National Team had Mayers been an "inconsistent" or unworthy, or whatever level player you are trying to characterise him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Now that the trash has been taken out, we return to our discussion of the Blues players on the Canadian national team - already in progress ...

04-30-2007, 11:16 AM
barnburner

Thanks for the "housecleaning" - it was needed.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote