HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff GDT (for the entire playoffs)

Old
04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
barnburner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
After looking rusty in the beginning against the Canucks, the Ducks have opened up their offense leading 3-1 after the first.

I'm amazed at how good Selanne still is.
That's because he no longer has to worry about Pronger killing him...

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
The Rangers looked 500% better yesterday, but going 2 OT's to win is going to hurt them in the long run. I still don't see Buffalo losing that series unless a couple of players go down to injury, though I can see the series going back tied 2-2.

Anaheim looked good enough last night against Vancouver, I think the Ducks win this one too only because I don't see the Canucks having the depth to match up.

So ... tonight, New Jersey-Ottawa (this could be 2-0 either way) and San Jose-Detroit (the Sharks know they should be up 2-0 right now; IMO there's no way the Red Wings win 2 on the West Coast, I think they'll be doing great if they can get one).

BTW - your current leading scorer in the playoffs? Scott Gomez at 2-10-12. Zach Parise and Brian Gionta are tied in goals with 7, Chris Drury is in a 3-way tie for 3rd with 5.

2nd BTW - how good was Marty Turco in the playoffs? 3 shutouts (leads all goalies), 1.30 GAA (leads all goalies), .952 save% (2nd among goalies) ... and it still wasn't enough to get the Stars out of the 1st round.

05-01-2007, 08:58 PM
StLooFrenchy

Wow. I hope that I'm not the only one shaking their head at Buff being robbed of the tying goal in game 4, in New York. It makes me sick the way that Versus' TV crew cowtows to the Rangers and the Wings with every fragmented monosylabic grunt they force from their collective cake-holes. It disgraces hockey.

I gotta say it again, Buff got hosed.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 11:34 AM
CuSa_1

Maybe, but this is exactly why we were upset when a goal was reviewed and rewarded (against us) when you couldn't see the puck until well after the whistle had blown and Sandford got up, and it was then in the goal. There's no way they could award a goal for that. I really don't see the Ranger bias... did you see the Roszival goal that was disallowed? If there was any bias, I'm thinking it would have been there considering no one expected that goal to be waived off.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
StLooFrenchy

Yes, I saw that goal. IMO, it was clearly kicked in; the right call being made. Mind you, before I procede, I have no dog in this fight. I really don't care who wins the Cup, as long as it is won on an even and fair field. I may be over cynical, but it seems to me that the league assists the big market teams in their quests. Of course, there are ca-jillions (sp?) of bucks at stake; a 'Nucks / Buff final wouldn't draw the ratings (i.e., $) like Rags / Wings would. When the Blues get away with a blown review, I wipe my forhead and say "Whew!", but I know that we don't deserve it. Yet it seems to me, again, IMO, that big market teams have a greater chance at get the video calls falling their way. Until the NHL fixes this problem ( hey Gary, the technology already exists!), it will always be looked upon as a garage league. Last nights game should have went to overtime, and I feel it is a rip that it didn't.

Wow, I ranted. Sorry.

Old
05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
CuSa_1

Well I disagree, I don't think that it was a kicking motion. I also think that last night's goal should have been allowed.

Old
05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
Well I disagree, I don't think that it was a kicking motion. I also think that last night's goal should have been allowed.
They need more goal cameras. Last night's goal absolutely had to have crossed the goal line. But, because it wasn't visible on camera, Buffalo lost their goal. Rather than leaving a judgement to an official that isn't 100% provable, they need to have cameras from enough angles to cover the entire goal line from ALL angles. Then, no one could complain.

Last edited by Robb_K: 05-02-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
StLooFrenchy

Things that happen on the ice, be they penaltiy calls, kicking motions, etc., etc., will always be subjective due to human perspective. This is really unavoidable. However, in this day of numerous technologies, a puck crossing the line should never be open to interperetation. It is a black and white issue, no gray area, and it needs to be addressed.

Old
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
They need more goal cameras. Last night's goal absolutely had to have crossed the goal ine. But, because it wasn't visible on camera, Buffalo lost their goal. Rather than leaving a judgement to an official that isn't 100% provable, they need to have cameras from enough angles to cover the entire goal line from ALL angles. Then, no one could complain.
Agreed. In an age where we can put cameras inside peoples bodies, surely we can figure out a way to put them where these type situations can be covered.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
CuSa_1

I'm wondering when the option of a sensor inside the puck will be explored. One problem would obviously be cost, they may have to put netting up all around the rink to try to keep as many pucks as possible, if each has a little microchip in it. You wouldn't even need a goal judge anymore. As soon as the system detected the active puck to be in the net, the goal light would automatically come one.

Again, I have no idea what the logistics and costs would be.

Old
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Andy Strickland is stupid.

His latest:
Quote:
If the New York Rangers reach the Eastern Conference Finals the Blues first round pick they received from Atlanta will jump one spot from 19 to 18. The Rangers would then pick anywhere from 27-30.

The Blues first Round Pick they received from San Jose which used to belong to New Jersey will also jump ahead one spot if the Rangers advance past the Devils.
Is it a crime to ask a self-styled beat writer to have a rudimentary grasp of facts?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
I'm wondering when the option of a sensor inside the puck will be explored. One problem would obviously be cost, they may have to put netting up all around the rink to try to keep as many pucks as possible, if each has a little microchip in it. You wouldn't even need a goal judge anymore. As soon as the system detected the active puck to be in the net, the goal light would automatically come one.

Again, I have no idea what the logistics and costs would be.
It seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper just to have enough cameras around each NHL goal to catch all angles, than to put a sensor in every NHL game puck.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Andy Strickland is stupid.

His latest:

Is it a crime to ask a self-styled beat writer to have a rudimentary grasp of facts?

There's also no way we are getting Drury for $5 million a year. I bet the price will go well beyond that once the vast number of suitors come calling in the summer.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:23 PM
StLooFrenchy

Between the 1st and 2nd periods during the Sharks v. Wings match last night, Clement and Jonesy and Engboob were displaying their love of Detroit once again. One mini story on Chelios, one mini story on Holmstrom, and one interview with Maltby. After the com. break, it was highlights of finished games, no mention of the Sharks, their lead in the game (at that time), nor their lead in the series (again, at that time), all that was mentioned is how great the Wings are. Granted i don't know what transpired between 2-3, my beer and I fell asleep. Please, somebody tell me they at least talked about the Sharks, I can't be this cynical.

Old
05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K
It seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper just to have enough cameras around each NHL goal to catch all angles, than to put a sensor in every NHL game puck.
Agreed. I don't see why there couldn't be a mini-camera at the bottom of each goal post, just above ice level, and one on each side at the top, in the juncture where the goal posts meet the crossbar.

With those four cameras focused on the goal line, one of them is bound to reveal a definitive shot of wether or not any puck crosses said goal line on any given controversial play.

The problem with sensors in the puck is that the sensor would either have to be the exact same diameter as the puck itself, or else there would have to be a continous ring of sensors all around he circumference of the puck... because the purpose would be to detect when the entire puck has crossed the goal line.

If the sensor was imbedded in the center of the puck, once the center of the puck had crossed the goal line, the sensor would indicate that the puck was in the net.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't put sharks with frickin laser beams in the goal to determine if the puck crossed the line?

Old
05-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Agreed. I don't see why there couldn't be a mini-camera at the bottom of each goal post, just above ice level, and one on each side at the top, in the juncture where the goal posts meet the crossbar.

With those four cameras focused on the goal line, one of them is bound to reveal a definitive shot of wether or not any puck crosses said goal line on any given controversial play.

The problem with sensors in the puck is that the sensor would either have to be the exact same diameter as the puck itself, or else there would have to be a continous ring of sensors all around he circumference of the puck... because the purpose would be to detect when the entire puck has crossed the goal line.

If the sensor was imbedded in the center of the puck, once the center of the puck had crossed the goal line, the sensor would indicate that the puck was in the net.

P_B

cameras inside the posts....they're hollow afterall....you could get 20 of them inside the frame of the net.

as for the sensors, i don't know exactly how that would work...because the puck very rarely slides along the ice into the net....and skaters and goalies are constantly breaking the plane of the goal with their equipment. there'd need to be an electonic way of monitoring only the puck, entirely crossing the plane of the goal line. The NHL would need: chips in the puck, and sensors (1) under the ice, (2) along the inside of the posts and (3) and along the inside of the crossbar.

either that or scientists can get hard to work on a forcefield that detects vulcanized rubber, eh?

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:12 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
come on Ducks! lets get that OT goal, go PRONGS!

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
woohoo Ducks win!

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
CuSa_1

well, all that would be great, but my thought was a microchip (like the ones they used to put into players' skates at the allstar games to tell how fast they were going, or whatever...) in the puck that was connected to a grid system. The system could determine if/when a puck goes totally over the line. Even if the puck is on edge it would then know the angle of the puck and would then be able to determine if it was all the way in. Like I said, I have NO idea what the cost of this system would be.

Otherwise, yes more Cameras would be beneficial.

Oh, and way to go Ducks

Old
05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't care - we need Chris Freaking Drury. Nobody in the league is clutch like him during the only portion of the season that carries any meaning. Max out, do whatever it takes to not be outbid.

Old
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
I don't care - we need Chris Freaking Drury. Nobody in the league is clutch like him during the only portion of the season that carries any meaning. Max out, do whatever it takes to not be outbid.
You got it, Bud! He is Mr. Clutch. He is #1 on my wish list, WE NEED HIM! I just can't see Buff letting him go, he is their heart and soul, but he is gonna cost. Here's hoping!

Old
05-04-2007, 09:21 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
I really hope we put up a good bid for him, but if he continues playing the way he is, I see Buffalo signing him over Briere.

Here's to a good offseason.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
I hate Drury.

...unless he signs with the Blues.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Gman7191

Anyone see Guerin get cracked in the face with a puck two nights ago?

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote