HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Future Looks GRITTY

Old
04-15-2007, 08:52 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Rangers Future Looks GRITTY

I'm getting excited just thinking about the types of players in our system.... If they wind up getting utilized, we are in for a treat... Did Sather have this in mind when he drafted many of them? Their size and propensity for physical play?

I enjoy the physical stuff and have always felt that our team was a bit vulnerable in that regard... I love the fact that we have hard nosed prospects in our system who know how to actually play the game...

When I see players like Dupont, Dubinksy, Byers, Callahan, I can't help but get excited.... Can't wait to see these guys in addition to having Avery out there....

Flyers, Devils, and Isles are going to be going up against a much different team in the coming seasons.... A team that will score, hit, aggitate, and fight their way to wins...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-15-2007 at 09:00 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
My thinking is that those types of players will offset some european players that we may or may not have on the team in the future to balance the team out. Gives us a strong attack North-South and ability to play East-West.

Just look and how much better the team performed since the accusition of Avery. The second line with him and Shanny and Straka definatly goes to the net hard, as does the Callahan, Cullen, Prucha line... only the top line plays a noticably different game...

I am very excited for the future of this team...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:26 AM
JerseyRangers

Alot of credit has to go to Satheroney. They decided what type of player this franchise wanted to draft and what type of team they wanted and they've stuck to the plan. Time and time again we've heard them speak about how the players that they drafted had to have character, grit, size, speed, etc. They've built from the net on out and now we've got some great prospects on the blueline and some very tough, fast gritty forwards with some scoring punch throughout the organization. The only piece that we are still missing is a sniper but with the assets that we've stockpiled that piece will be on board sooner rather than later!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Ola

Yeah, also, don't underestimate Korpikoski in the grit deparment.

This kid will never stop moving his legs. When he have filled out he will become the type of player who is a real pain in the ass to play against as a D. He will finnish his checks and he does have decent size.

He isn't a player like Dubinsky though who I think got serious potential to turn into a real pest to play against at times. Dubi can be really reckless.

He is pretty smart too, he doesn't pull of any stunts in "avg regular season games", but he got allot of em in his back pocket. He is the type of player who will use em against division rivals and in PO's ect. Thats really valueble too.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 09:59 AM
JerseyRangers

Ola's right Korpedo is another one of those prospects who will soon be making the team. Haven't seen too much of him but from what I've been able to see this is a guy who has the skillset to play on the 1st or 2nd line yet is a solid enough two way player that he can fill in on the bottom two lines until given the opportunity to play more minutes. Actually, we've got quite a few of those guys now in the system. Guys who are defensively solid enough that they can be used in a forechecking role while at the same time having enough offence that they won't look outta place on the top two lines. In the next 2 to 3 seasons we've got guys like Dubi, Cally, Dawes, Korpedo, Byers, Jarkko, Bourret and even a guy like Jessiman who can all play in the NHL. Thats alot of good youth. The future sure is bright on Broadway!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:08 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

The question is which players will they be replacing???

Not a lot of room on the 4 forward lines...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Taz

well in a few years Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, maybe Cullen should be gone, not to mention maybe Betts hollweg get replaced even Ortmeyer

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:39 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

I'm seeing some trades happening in the near future so don't expect all these players to be here.......but we will probably have a good young high end forward or two as a result.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
All these players aren't 3 years away. But 3 years from now, we (probably) won't have Nyls, Straka, Shanny and Jagr.

After next season its defenitly possible that both Shanny and especially Straka will be gone.

We are dooing better now too. Take Nyls for example, if he can keep the play he have so far in the PO's who knows what kind of offers he will get in the off season. I mean he is putting on a show, in the PO's. At the very least, its now a player like him should completly dissapear and "real" stars steps up. If can keep it up for just two rounds, market value is 6m per at the least. He got a ton of kids, and stuff like that, maybe its a done deal that he will stay here for 3-4m x 2 years, great for us. Though in a hurry we will loose a player like him.

Orts is a player that could get a offer he can't turn down this summer.

Like Callahan have this season id like to see both Korpikoski and Dubinsky come in next season. We are gooing to have injurys, thats a given, and atleast 1 player who won't start the season, will play 30-40 games during it. There aren't single team in this league who that doesn't happend to, there never have been. If Korpedo for example take that last step, he will beat someone out too no doubt, the same with Dubinsky.

I think that problem will solve itself.

Another issue thats interesting is in what way, not if, we will take a run at the cup next season. But that deserves its on thread, and is one worth saving for more boring times...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Janerixon

bourret is a player that is not getting much mention in this thread. when he is able to make the leap to the pros, maybe not next season, but i'd assume the year after we have a player who can score and really throw around his body along with the others that were mentioned in callahan, byers, dubinsky, etc

there currently aren't really any spots open but trades can happen and eventually guys like straka, nylander, jagr, and shanahan are going to retire or be moved at some point for kids (not any time soon but in the next 2-3 years)

a guy like cullen could easily be traded if dubinsky is ready to take over the 3rd line job and don't forget straka is going to have off season surgery on that shoulder whenever the playoffs are done, so who knows if he will be ready to start the season

there are plenty of options, but we are currently in a good spot with our current lineup and plenty of hungry and good kids on the way

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
blue2noise

Let's not forget Bourret. He's a tough SOB as well.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
bourret is a player that is not getting much mention in this thread. when he is able to make the leap to the pros, maybe not next season, but i'd assume the year after we have a player who can score and really throw around his body along with the others that were mentioned in callahan, byers, dubinsky, etc

there currently aren't really any spots open but trades can happen and eventually guys like straka, nylander, jagr, and shanahan are going to retire or be moved at some point for kids (not any time soon but in the next 2-3 years)

a guy like cullen could easily be traded if dubinsky is ready to take over the 3rd line job and don't forget straka is going to have off season surgery on that shoulder whenever the playoffs are done, so who knows if he will be ready to start the season

there are plenty of options, but we are currently in a good spot with our current lineup and plenty of hungry and good kids on the way
I really like what I have read about Bourret so far. Seems like a real good prospect, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rangers look to use him as a piece to trade for a more NHL ready top 4 foward. More specifiacally a 2nd line center. I am pretty sure he is one of the only French Canadiens on the club. I don't think he speaks english very well either. Not that I don't want to see him here, if it was up to me I would have 3 or 4 of the prospects n Hartford already playing here, but the wealth of prospects wreaks of a blockbuster in the near future....Possibly on draft day!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
The Thomas J.*

There has ben some talk about a Bourret Dubi Dawes line that has been doing well In hartford.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
There has ben some talk about a Bourret Dubi Dawes line that has been doing well In hartford.
that could certainly be a nice 3rd line (energy w/ scoring) and all 3 of those guys have the potential to play even higher.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I really like what I have read about Bourret so far. Seems like a real good prospect, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rangers look to use him as a piece to trade for a more NHL ready top 4 foward. More specifiacally a 2nd line center. I am pretty sure he is one of the only French Canadiens on the club. I don't think he speaks english very well either. Not that I don't want to see him here, if it was up to me I would have 3 or 4 of the prospects n Hartford already playing here, but the wealth of prospects wreaks of a blockbuster in the near future....Possibly on draft day!
I don't see them moving him to be honest. hes one of the best prospects we have in our system and if we are really trying to get a younger 2nd line center we have immonen and even mat cullen to move if neccessary sinceit appears dubinsky appears to be very ready for 3rd or possibly even 2nd line duty and we have nylander, then straka, then cullen plus avery can play center

i see bourret sticking around

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:23 PM
bogans

The thing is all of you guys are talking about Shanny, Jagr, Nylander and Straka being gone in the next 2 - 3 years. I do agree, but looking at the system, without any big trades, we don't have first liners. We have second, third and fourth liners. We can fill the rest of the roster, but if Jagr goes, we need to buy a true first line winger. If Nylander goes, we need to buy a true first line center. I don't think any of these spots open up spots for kids, instead they open up spots for possible free agents. Bourret is the only possible first line forward, and that does not seem to be where his career track is heading, I think he will end up second or third, just like every other kid in our system.

The fact is, the Rangers staff has tons of talent, grit and work ethic in the system, but they also have an enormous general managing prospect on their hand come the offseason (maybe this year, but probably in two or three years) to turn our 15 second liners into 3 first liners and 3 second liners. I honestly do not expect to see all of these kids with the Rangers one day.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
NYROrtsFan

Anisimov has 1st line upside.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:36 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
I believe its Immonen who has been centering that line....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:47 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

I think next year Dawes needs to be given a legit shot on one of our top 3 lines. This year after he made the team out of camp we played him sparingly on the 4th line and he just isn't a 4th line player. I don't think another year in the AHL will benefit him at all, he has proven that he can consistently excel at the AHL level already.

The other spect who i think we need to make a decision on about wheter he is a legit NHL player next year is Immonen. What happens with Nylander will probably dictate Immo's situation next year. I was hoping we would sign Nylander a few weeks ago when the news article came out about it (2 years 3.5per) because every game he plays in the playoffs his value is just gonna keep going up. If he leaves via UFA I see Immo gettign a legit shot but I don't think Immo can be our #1 line center. So does that force our hand to go after a Drury/Briere type player via UFA. Regardless I think we need to make a decision on Immo next year.

Our other top end forwards Dubi, Korpedo, Jessiman, Bourret etc. Those guys staying in Hartford for another year won't be the worst thing for them. Dubinsky however may force hsi way onto the roster which wouldn't be a bad thing either.

The promising thing about our organization right now is that our young players are coming up to the NHL squad and aren't looking out of place at all. Remember how bad Lawrence Nycholat looked when we called him up during the Dark Ages. Now we are bringing young guys up to fill holes and they are filling in perfectly (Girardi/Cally).

Bottom Line:Our management since the lockout has done an amazing job. The way we are drafting and developing our kids along with the trades we have been making combined with us not handing out longterm bloated contracts to aging players like we use to is creating a great environment within the organization. Don't get me wrong the organization isn't immuned to mistakes there are always gonna be those Sandis Ozolinsh type situations but those are becoming fewer and far between.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I thought it was Immonen who was centering that line.

Reports also say that there was some real chemistry between Dawes and Bourret.

04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Pizza

I go back to the open letter that was written to fans after the '03-'04 season. To paraphrase it said:

"the Rangers will seek to draft or acquire the type of player that drives the net".

This has been part of the plan since at least the release of that letter.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
The thing is all of you guys are talking about Shanny, Jagr, Nylander and Straka being gone in the next 2 - 3 years. I do agree, but looking at the system, without any big trades, we don't have first liners. We have second, third and fourth liners. We can fill the rest of the roster, but if Jagr goes, we need to buy a true first line winger. If Nylander goes, we need to buy a true first line center. I don't think any of these spots open up spots for kids, instead they open up spots for possible free agents. Bourret is the only possible first line forward, and that does not seem to be where his career track is heading, I think he will end up second or third, just like every other kid in our system.

The fact is, the Rangers staff has tons of talent, grit and work ethic in the system, but they also have an enormous general managing prospect on their hand come the offseason (maybe this year, but probably in two or three years) to turn our 15 second liners into 3 first liners and 3 second liners. I honestly do not expect to see all of these kids with the Rangers one day.
Generally I tend to agree, but players can provide big surprises in their development. I was just watching a piece on Adam Graves on the Ranger site. They talked a lot about how nobody had any idea this guy would develop into a 50 goal score. Now Gravy is a pretty extreme example, but it just shows what can happen when work ethic and character are combined with talent.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:28 PM
broadwayblue

With the UFA age lowering every year there will be a bunch of first line guys we can go after. They will cost a bunch, but we should certainly be able to afford 1 of them. Additionally, how many teams have 3 legitimate first liners? Really, a couple of studs and a good support guy (see our Hossa) make for a great first line. It's probably more important to be able to roll 3 solid lines then it is to have 3 true first liners.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
With the UFA age lowering every year there will be a bunch of first line guys we can go after. They will cost a bunch, but we should certainly be able to afford 1 of them. Additionally, how many teams have 3 legitimate first liners? Really, a couple of studs and a good support guy (see our Hossa) make for a great first line. It's probably more important to be able to roll 3 solid lines then it is to have 3 true first liners.
Totally agree, I was just saying that the departure of Jagr, Nylander, Shanny and others will not necessarily open spots, it most likely will just cause the Blueshirts to spend money in free agency. Although, if a player like Dawes, Dubinsky, Prucha or somebody else does surprisingly develop into a first liner, all the better. But no matter what, the depth in the system bodes very well for the future.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Totally agree, I was just saying that the departure of Jagr, Nylander, Shanny and others will not necessarily open spots, it most likely will just cause the Blueshirts to spend money in free agency. Although, if a player like Dawes, Dubinsky, Prucha or somebody else does surprisingly develop into a first liner, all the better. But no matter what, the depth in the system bodes very well for the future.
Absolutely. With some available cap room, our own prospects ready to take the next step, and the option to deal some extra parts for more skilled players, the future looks bright.