Dion Phaneuf will not play in Calgary next year

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 11:16 AM
vega007

vCash: 500
Dion Phaneuf will not play in Calgary next year

It is my belief that he will not play for the Flames in 2004/05

With the way the defensive corps are playing this season, it would be foolish to get rid of any of them.

Regehr - Gauthier
Lydman - Leopold
Warrener - Ference/Montador

Phaneuf is, in my opinion, the best defenceman in the WHL this year and he will only develop better next year while playing for Red Deer and clocking in 25-30 minutes a night, and running the PP, whereas in Calgary he would be lucky to get 10 minutes a night on the ice.

Now you must excuse me, I'm off to watch my Flames play here in Boston at the Fleet, I haven't seen them play live all year.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
icarus

Who knows if anyone will be playing in Calgary next year anyway?

Old
12-18-2003, 11:19 AM
vega007

Thats a good point and I did think of the potential lockout, but I did not want to cheapen my argument by bringing that up.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
Regehr - Gauthier
Lydman - Leopold
Warrener - Ference/Montador
Commodore will have to be worked into the lineup by then. Either him, or Montador, could be trade bait.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:29 AM
vega007

We wouldn't get anything for either of them in my opinion

Commodore cleared waivers when he got sent to Lowell
Montador is nothing special in my opinion

I've been to about 10 Lowell games here in Mass this season and Commodore looks horrible on the ice. I'm glad he's not playing for the Flames.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Phaneuf might not be in Red Deer next season. There's a chance Brent Sutter deals him at the deadline this year to help his rebuilding efforts. Especially if Brent thinks he might not be back in Red Deer. And if that happens then it might increase the chances of Phaneuf sticking as I've heard rumours they would have kept him up this year if his junior rights weren't owned by such a well coached junior team.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:42 AM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Phaneuf might not be in Red Deer next season. There's a chance Brent Sutter deals him at the deadline this year to help his rebuilding efforts. Especially if Brent thinks he might not be back in Red Deer. And if that happens then it might increase the chances of Phaneuf sticking as I've heard rumours they would have kept him up this year if his junior rights weren't owned by such a well coached junior team.
Yep, and if he gets traded it will probably be to a contender. Kelowna would be great. "Memorial Cup winner Dion Phaneuf" has a nice ring to it.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
We wouldn't get anything for either of them in my opinion

Commodore cleared waivers when he got sent to Lowell
Montador is nothing special in my opinion

I've been to about 10 Lowell games here in Mass this season and Commodore looks horrible on the ice. I'm glad he's not playing for the Flames.
Of course there's nothing special about Monty, he's just a 7th defenseman right now. No more. He might be a good 6th down the road, though.

Despite your analysis of Commodore, he's got value. 10 games is not enough time to evaluate a player. I was impressed with him when he was up with the big club near the end of last season, and I very much believe that he figures into Sutter's long-term plans.

Old
12-18-2003, 06:37 PM
kruezer

I don't know, but I kinda like this idea next year....

Leopold-Regehr
Warrener-Gauthier
Lydman-Ference
Phaneuf

Of course he has to play well enough to take that spot and all, but I think you can send Montador down, for a year or less and hope he's a good soldier that will come back up once a deal goes down, but that deal can't go down 'til Phaneuf takes a spot. Then we can trade a D-man+Conroy for a younger and cheaper top two C/LW....then call up Montador or Commodore or Wallin or whoever is willing to know their role and be a 7th D.

That would work out best IMO.

Old
12-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

I still believe that at some point Gauthier will be dealt to make room for guys like Phaneuf and Commodore. Gauthier fans obviously don't like that idea but he is the worst puck mover on the blueline and Sutter has harped about that in the past. It might not be this year but I can't see him being around in a year or two.

I can't see Leopold, Lydman or Regehr going anywhere. They along with Phaneuf will be our core IMO. Ference is a good deal and fits nicely as a 5th/6th guy so no reason to move him.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:54 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I still believe that at some point Gauthier will be dealt to make room for guys like Phaneuf and Commodore. Gauthier fans obviously don't like that idea but he is the worst puck mover on the blueline and Sutter has harped about that in the past. It might not be this year but I can't see him being around in a year or two.

I can't see Leopold, Lydman or Regehr going anywhere. They along with Phaneuf will be our core IMO. Ference is a good deal and fits nicely as a 5th/6th guy so no reason to move him.
I can agree, the only other guy I see as possibly moving is Lydman, though Sutter seems happier with him this year.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:55 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
After watching the Canada-Finland game today I can only say one thing to Flames management: make room for Neufy. He was clearly the best defenceman on the ice today and played like a two-way all-star. No big hits, but he played smart throughout the entire game. I personally had him ahead of Coburn on my draft list.

Old
12-26-2003, 03:38 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
After watching the Canada-Finland game today I can only say one thing to Flames management: make room for Neufy. He was clearly the best defenceman on the ice today and played like a two-way all-star. No big hits, but he played smart throughout the entire game. I personally had him ahead of Coburn on my draft list.
I agree, he really did get bailed out by Fleury once, but other than that he was solid and added a goal to boot.

Old
12-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Qubax

Gauthier get's dealt...

Next year we have this

Regehr Leopold
Phaneuf Warrener
Lydman Ference

Phaneuf will get some nights 18 to 20 minutes some night maybe only 14 minutes or so by playin Warrener and Lydman and Reg and Leo more then they normally would...

IMO though Phaneuf will be a top 4 Dman for the Flames next year

Closed Thread