HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Harding was in net the series would be 1-1.

Old
04-14-2007, 12:46 AM
sandbox

vCash: 500
If Harding was in net the series would be 1-1.

Backstrom has been unreal this season, and there's no one he shouldn't have been the starter tonight. however, He looked like SH to me tonight. I think had harding been in, the Wild would have pulled it out.

Yes, the Dman got undress on the getzlaf goal, but that isnt a hard save to make, its almost impossible to shelf it far side when the D is pushing you the way he was. Backstrom was VERY slow in getting over and should never have let it go in.

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Your kidding right? 1 questionable goal where the goatlender cann't think the defensmen would be beat like that and you want to pull Backstrom?

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Wild Thing

The rest of the team was playing so poorly, I doubt it would have made any difference. You could have put Patrick Roy in his prime in there, and the Wild would still have lost because the skaters weren't doing their jobs. Hell, you could have put Patrick Roy and Josh Harding in there side by side, shoulder to shoulder, and they'd still have lost, because the Ducks were winning every single battle on both ends of the ice and in the neutral zone.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 01:20 AM
sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Your kidding right? 1 questionable goal where the goatlender cann't think the defensmen would be beat like that and you want to pull Backstrom?
Hey jason macissac, Please read my posts fully before making comments. I know you have a strong opinion on everything, but seriously dude, I just got done saying there is no way that he shouldn't have been in there.

My point was. Harding would have made the save on the 3rd goal. Heck most AHL goalies could; Its about as soft as you get IMO. As a goaltender you dont have to think about whether the Dman is going to get beat. You just have to stop the puck. And Getzlaf's move on him wasnt even that fast, He had plenty of time to get over and the only shot he had was shortside.

Old
04-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
Harding would have made the save on the 3rd goal. Heck most AHL goalies could;
Yeah, most AHL goalies would have made that save,... and let in 4 others. Bad goals happen. Saw that goal Luongo gave sending the first game to OT? Maybe they would have done better with Sabourin?

Backstrom's good. The Wild will lose because they can't generate offense through that thick line of Ducks, not because of their goalie.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 01:50 AM
sandbox

It's definately a valid point. But the comparison from sabourin and Luongo to Harding and Backstrom isnt even close. I think harding is very close to Backstrom.

Also its not like backstrom made any great saves. The save he made on perry early was just good positioning and the shot went right into his glove. Then he exaggerated it.

Old
04-14-2007, 04:42 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Though I agree with you Backstrom should have saved that goal, this is not the first time a goalie lets a soft goal in. Maybe Harding would have saved that shot, but also he could have let other shots go in. If you have played goalie before you should know that is not about how good the save looks, even if it looks easy it requires a lot of skill to stop a shot. As someone said before, many goalies could have stopped Getzlaf shot but many would have let the other shots in.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Backstrom has earned his spot. He made a few lovely saves that kept us in the game espicially in game one, stopping a few breakaways. I doubt Harding could stop all the shots Backstrom did

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Also its not like backstrom made any great saves. The save he made on perry early was just good positioning and the shot went right into his glove.
Positioning is one of the reasons why he is so good. He doesn't need to make those spectacular Hasek-style flopping saves.

In any case, soft goals happen. The Wild were getting so badly outplayed, (as Wild Thing said) it didn't really matter what Backstrom did in nets. If he stopped the Getzlaf shot, the Ducks still probably would have won in the end because the Wild couldn't generate any offense. I just hope they find their game again back at the X.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 10:30 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Hey jason macissac, Please read my posts fully before making comments. I know you have a strong opinion on everything, but seriously dude, I just got done saying there is no way that he shouldn't have been in there.

My point was. Harding would have made the save on the 3rd goal. Heck most AHL goalies could; Its about as soft as you get IMO. As a goaltender you dont have to think about whether the Dman is going to get beat. You just have to stop the puck. And Getzlaf's move on him wasnt even that fast, He had plenty of time to get over and the only shot he had was shortside.
These teams split the regular season games, and this is Backstrom's first playoff season ever. You saying that is like saying Pittsburg should sit Crosby because they lost 6-3. I'd be nervous too if I was playing a high caliber team like that.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

C'mon

Backstrom played real well. If Harding was in net, I don't know if Wild would be in the playoffs or not. I know he played well but consistency is always a question but Backstrom did.

I feel sorry for Backstrom for not getting a lot of credit and also playing in the team that can't score a lot and facing no.2 seed.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
zBearcat

Quote:
Backstrom has been unreal this season, and there's no one he shouldn't have been the starter tonight. however, He looked like SH to me tonight. I think had harding been in, the Wild would have pulled it out.

Yes, the Dman got undress on the getzlaf goal, but that isnt a hard save to make, its almost impossible to shelf it far side when the D is pushing you the way he was. Backstrom was VERY slow in getting over and should never have let it go in.
Are you Bob Hartley???

zBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:32 PM
vitogor

Coulda shoulda woulda. This is the most idiotic thread we've had here in a long time. Can you guarantee that Harding would've stopped all those shots that Backstrom stopped?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:23 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
It's definately a valid point. But the comparison from sabourin and Luongo to Harding and Backstrom isnt even close. I think harding is very close to Backstrom.

Also its not like backstrom made any great saves. The save he made on perry early was just good positioning and the shot went right into his glove. Then he exaggerated it.
yeah why the hell would a goalie want to be in good position ? Fact if I galoe has to make all these flashy saves then guess what he has screwed up somehow to put himself into that position.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Had it been a forehand shot, I might agree with you. Backhands are very deceptive. You don't know where they are going.

As for Harding... if Harding had been in net, the score might have been far more in favor for Anaheim. Backstrom has been your best player, and unquestionably so.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Why does this thread exist? Backstrom has been fine...our PP on the other hand.....

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 02:48 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
I've thought that Backstrom has done an exceptional job. I don't see where changing goalies would give the Wild a better chance at winning.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Saklander

If a goalie has a 2.33 GAA in 3 games against the nr 2. seed, and you still loose all your games, I think that you shouldn´t blame the goalie.

p.s. Bad goals happen, just like a forward misses an "empty net moment" but the difference is that a forward never gets blamed for it in a bad thread like this one

Saklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

There is absolutely no need for a goalie change.What needs to be changed is the powerplay.They can't even get the thing set up.It was embarrassing to watch last nite.A little heart and grit wouldn't hurt either.Play with some passion Wild.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:19 AM
harper

I have not seen Minnesota play for a very long time, I only manage to follow them through newspapers, the net etc. But it seems odd to me that all of these solid goalies go thru Minnesota, it seems incredible. Are the goalies numbers way out of whack because of the defensive prowess of the team in general? Does a mediocre goalie become (or at least appear to be) a good goalie in Minnesota?

harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
I have not seen Minnesota play for a very long time, I only manage to follow them through newspapers, the net etc. But it seems odd to me that all of these solid goalies go thru Minnesota, it seems incredible. Are the goalies numbers way out of whack because of the defensive prowess of the team in general? Does a mediocre goalie become (or at least appear to be) a good goalie in Minnesota?
Goalie Coach Mason is the reason our goalies excel. He's awesome. From Duane Roloson to Manny Fernandez to Josh Harding and now Niklas Backstrom.

In Backstrom's first couple of games he was giving up huge, dangerous rebounds. I commented that he'd need to improve his rebound control. Since the 2nd game after Manny went down, Backstrom has been vacuuming up shots just like Roloson used to.

It's all Mason ...

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Here's a thought. Maybe....just MAYBE...Minnesota should have scored more than one f'in goal in any of the three first games.

Here's another. Your goaltender just held a potent Duck's offence...to just two goals a game through the first three games.

What more do you honestly need from your netminder??? He could have let in one fewer goal in regulation each of these games...gone into 2...3...4 OT's...and ended up with the same result if the guys in front of him don't bury the puck more than once every sixty minutes of hockey.

I feel bad for Backstrom. He's a large reason the Wild are where they are to begin with. He just can't do anymore to help this team win.

Last edited by Retail1LO: 04-16-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I stand corrected...he let in 3 goals one game...but his offense still only managed two...their best output in 3 games played
Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Wild Bill

Backstrom has almost been the ONLY guy wearing a Wild uniform that has given us a chance to win. The energy guys have been good, although they are just energy guys. They shouldn't be counted on to score. The top two lines have been completely shut down by this "stand-up"/get in the way defensive game. Pronger is awesome. Neidermeyer is awesome. Beauch has been awesome. Their big kid line has been a huge problem. Our forwards are skating like they are underwater. I don't know if they are just tired or tentative or it's the Duck d-core or whatever. They better figure it out and win a couple or this will be a pretty crappy 1st round exit.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

4 goals in 3 games from the offence is not gonna win you many games.Thats means the Wild would have had to win every game,2-1, 1-0 and 1-0 again.Nice try Backstrom is not to blame at all in the series

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
QcS

As much as i like Harding, Backstrom came in as the #1 goalie and you have to ride him until he falters, and i really don't think he has. The Wild can't score, so the forwards should be blamed, not Backstrom.

That being said, for my fantasy team, i hope Harding gets the #1 spot next season

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote