HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Huet available now???

Old
04-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
I think Gainey's best plan would be to make Huet play in the hope that his value will either improve or at least stay as it is in order to maybe make a move at the next trade deadline. That is, if Halak shows he can be a consistent starter until Price is NHL ready in 2008-09. What do you think?
I'm thinking/hoping exactly what you have said. I personally don't think Huet will be around to finish next season.

04-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Trade Huet; sign JS Guigere. WE need a real top goalie.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:04 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
I think Gainey's best plan would be to make Huet play in the hope that his value will either improve or at least stay as it is in order to maybe make a move at the next trade deadline. That is, if Halak shows he can be a consistent starter until Price is NHL ready in 2008-09. What do you think?
Right on!

That could be one of the best option.

And get a first round pick for 2008.

It's tough to figure out a year ahead of time who could be interested...

But looking at the western conference, there are 7 teams that could potentially use a guy like Huet:

1. z-Detroit 82 113 Who knows... may be Hasek will hit a wall... he is not getting younger.

6. x-Dallas 82 107 Not everybody is happy withTurco...

9. Colorado 82 95 Who knows.... Of course Theo is awful, Budaj just okay. Will they buy Theo's contract?
10. St. Louis 82 81 Lagace has been losing it... But are they going to be close to the playoffs.
11. Columbus 82 73 They could use the help, but don't bet any money they will be close to a playoff spot.

14. Los Angeles 82 68 Weirdly enough they could use their own Huet
15. Phoenix 82 67 Joseph is not getting any younger... Phoenix is not getting any closer to the playoffs...

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Trade Huet; sign JS Guigere. WE need a real top goalie.
why would we do that when Huet is cheaper and we have 2 top goalie prospectrs coming in? Keep the money for something else!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
zurg999

So we've spent two years bringing our forward prospects along vs. moving one or two in any kind of 'win now' move, and, now that we have a strong young core, we should trade away the cheap stability we lucked into with Huet and take our chances with kids in net for most of next season?

Our GM seems to understand the balance needed between experience and youth. For example I'm betting Chipchura will not step in as a full time replacement for Bonk at centre next year; if Bonk isn't signed Gainey will look for a replacement on the market.

Noting how the Habs bring prospects along, I don't think starting the season with more kids in key positions next season is part of the plan.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I doubt he's available. Going into next season, the starter's job is his to keep and Halak's to steal. Ideally, the two of them will push each other and form a tandem the way Aebischer and Huet were supposed to this year.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Toro

I agree that best case we keep Huet till the trade deadline or the end of his contract but, If he is whats needed to get a top center i am willing to entertain proposals. It wouldn't happen till the draft or after like the trade deadline. If we can not sign a top center UFA, this might be the trade that we have to make. Thing is is we have plenty of options at goalie, but limited options at top center.

And if we can not sign Souray as i believe markov is going to sign for sure, We will be hard pressed to sign another top Defenceman. Gainey is in build a playoff contender mode, it would be nice to have both Halak and Huet next year, but Price is ready. And all the doubters and non believers, will see soon enough.

Huet is probably the best trade piece(cheap short contract and great goalie) that we can afford to lose. plain and simple

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Actually I'm kinda hoping the Habs sign Backstrom and then trade Huet to the West in order to keep anyone else from the Eastern Conference from signing him this offseason.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Actually I'm kinda hoping the Habs sign Backstrom and then trade Huet to the West in order to keep anyone else from the Eastern Conference from signing him this offseason.
Backstrom is a bigger clone of Huet, they play the exact same way. I think we should keep Huet considering we know how cool he is under pressure and he mighr end up making less than Backstrom, there will be teams overpaying for his services.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote