HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who are the worst people in Hockey history?

Old
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
dok101

vCash: 500
John Spano deserves a special place in the Hockey Hall of Shame.

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Yup, it seems silly to fault Goodenow for being a damn good union rep. Yeah, he misjudged the owner's resolve, but guven how divided they were last time, can you blame him. Remember, a salary cap was possible back in '94, but the owners rejected it.
Also do not blame Goodenow for the huge increase in salaries if it wasnt for owners this would not have happened. In the books that I mentioned it said that the most inflationary part of the 1994 CBA was the arbitration, but when players won their awards teams were not obligated to sign the players.

Funny thing about arbitration, it is a third party that decides the outcome and it cannot be overruled after. Also in one of the books it was talking about how a team went to arbitration (I think it was New Jersey) and Lamourello was arguing against the player and gave the arbitrator some stats and they asked "What is TOI?" How do you like that an arbitrator that knows dick all about the sport.

Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Alan Jackson

Despite what Wetcoaster might think, Pat Quinn dosen't deserve to be anywhere near this thread. Yes, he showed piss poor judgment when accepting a payment from the Canucks whilst still employed by the Kings, but nobody accused Quinn of trying to sabotage the Kings for the rest of that season, or anything else of the sort.

I think the name Mike Keenan, however, at least belongs in the discussion.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Despite what Wetcoaster might think, Pat Quinn dosen't deserve to be anywhere near this thread. Yes, he showed piss poor judgment when accepting a payment from the Canucks whilst still employed by the Kings, but nobody accused Quinn of trying to sabotage the Kings for the rest of that season, or anything else of the sort.

I think the name Mike Keenan, however, at least belongs in the discussion.
Suspended for life for conduct prejudicial to the NHL and being severely criticized for bring the league into disrepute and damaging the integrity of the competive nature of the game per the report on Quinn's activities ... pretty hard to see how Quinn is NOT on that list.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
Also do not blame Goodenow for the huge increase in salaries if it wasnt for owners this would not have happened. In the books that I mentioned it said that the most inflationary part of the 1994 CBA was the arbitration, but when players won their awards teams were not obligated to sign the players.

Funny thing about arbitration, it is a third party that decides the outcome and it cannot be overruled after. Also in one of the books it was talking about how a team went to arbitration (I think it was New Jersey) and Lamourello was arguing against the player and gave the arbitrator some stats and they asked "What is TOI?" How do you like that an arbitrator that knows dick all about the sport.
Just like judges - it is up to counsel to educate them.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Sammy*

How bout Mchael Largue.
Not a despicable character, merely a pathetic one.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
J0e Th0rnton*

Alan Eagleson tops the list

J0e Th0rnton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Canadarocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Steven Brunt spoke recently on Mtl radio about the Bobby Hull/racism story. It was crap and apparently a very nice settlement was made in Hull's favour.
I've heard that Bobby Hull made that comment about Hitler having some good ideas but going to far was a response to the growing black population in America. If so, I have a hard time seeing how he could have not have meant something racist.

Canadarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:43 PM
KevFist
is best pony

1. I can't think of a player that ended/endangered more careers than Bryan Marchment.

2. Dany Heatley. Kill a teammate in a car accident that could have very easily been avoided, request trade, get traded, trash the city you used to play in ad nauseumm, and not serve ANY sentence time for your conviction of manslaughter to boot. He may be a great player, but as a person, he's a piece of garbage. I hope he thinks about Dan Snyder every time he hears the word Atlanta.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:58 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
1. I can't think of a player that ended/endangered more careers than Bryan Marchment.

2. Dany Heatley. Kill a teammate in a car accident that could have very easily been avoided, request trade, get traded, trash the city you used to play in ad nauseumm, and not serve ANY sentence time for your conviction of manslaughter to boot. He may be a great player, but as a person, he's a piece of garbage. I hope he thinks about Dan Snyder every time he hears the word Atlanta.

Heatley seems like a nice guy to me. Maybe not a whole lot going on between the ears, but a nice guy...

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 12:35 AM
God
Free Citizen

Heatley's pretty nice, a pal of mine in Kelowna was hanging at his friend's house and Heatley knocked on the door to introduce himself to everyone when he moved in.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Heatley's pretty nice, a pal of mine in Kelowna was hanging at his friend's house and Heatley knocked on the door to introduce himself to everyone when he moved in.
Im sure theres a lot of nice 18 year olds serving lengthy jail terms.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Heatley is one of hockey's biggest **** ups. But, that doesn't make him a horrible person.

04-20-2007, 01:44 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Im sure theres a lot of nice 18 year olds serving lengthy jail terms.
Just because he made a mistake doesn't make him a horrible person. The court decided what was best for him, so take it.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepJeep View Post
Norm Green.
Ah, excellent choice. I haven't thought about Norm Greed in a while.

I would also like to mention Gil Stein, for trying to worm his way into the HHOF.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:09 PM
dire wolf
be cool

5 pages and nobody's mentioned John Rigas yet?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote