HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist vs. DiPietro

Old
04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Lundqvist vs. DiPietro

Just thought I'd throw this out here: don't recall a thread about it.
Goalie discussions always seem to focus on Brodeur.
But what about DiPietro?
In a comparison between Lundqvist and DiPietro:
Who is a better goalie now?
Who will be a better goalie in 5 years?
When their careers are done, who will be thought of as a better goalie (assuming both stay healthy)?

As a Ranger fan, I know how I feel. How about you? Any impartial fans out there?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
BigE

There have been three or four threads on this very topic. Search.

Lundqvist vs. Dipietro
Lundqvist vs. Dipietro (Poll)
Lundqvist vs. Dipietro (Poll) II

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

Only time will tell in the longrun, Lundy came in & set the world on fire early, Dipietro felt his way around the leauge b4 he really came into his own.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
broadwayblue

Both are the same age, Lundqvist just turned 25 and Dipietro turns 26 in September. Assuming both stay healthy it should be interesting to see how they fare over the next 5 or 10 years.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Titan124

In terms of simply stopping pucks, you need to give the edge to Lundqvist. I mean, the guy not only uses his size extremely well, but he also has very good reflexes and can make those huge saves that puts him well ahead of other butterfly goalies, like Tim Thomas.

DiPietro on the other hand brings other things to the table in addition to very good puck stopping (I would honestly put him a little below Lundqvist ). His stickhandling and passing is second only to Brodeur. He ignites the Islanders offense and is a huge part of the powerplay. His passing gives us many oddman rushes and he doesn't really make mistakes in his handling anymore.

Comparing the two is sort of like Brodeur vs. Roy. DiPietro is Brodeur, Lundqvist is Roy. I would but DiPietro ever so slightly ahead, but not because of his ability to stop pucks. Either way, both teams have great goaltenders for years to come.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
blue425

If Lundqvist did not exist, or we didn't draft him, I think most Ranger fans would not complain if Dipietro was our netminder. I for one would not.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:04 PM
gaglinefan

Henk vs. DP

I like Henk better for us, I think he is pretty much lights out. Henk stops pucks and moves around the net better. DP is athletic and a good netminder, he has grown in the league and will make the Ranger- Fishie rivalry better. Jmho

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
BJo

I think they are about even. DP has to make more spectacular saves every game because of the Isles smurfs on defense but Lundy has been spectacular the second half of the season, and you can't blame him because his team is better defensively. They are both top 8 goalies in the NHL. I put them behind only:

Brodeur
Luongo
Hasek
Kiprusoff

And perhaps even with guys like:

Nabokov
Giguere

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
ThirdEye

A little hard to compare, both are great. I'll still go with Lundqvist though because he was amazing as soon as he came here whereas it took Dipietro a few years to adjust and improve. I also think Lundqvist will be better in the future

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
A little hard to compare, both are great. I'll still go with Lundqvist though because he was amazing as soon as he came here whereas it took Dipietro a few years to adjust and improve. I also think Lundqvist will be better in the future
Lets just say we didnt rush Lundy like the fishies did with dipi.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Lets just say we didnt rush Lundy like the fishies did with dipi.
Lundquist wasn't nearly as highly touted though. It's a completely different situation. Lundy was a 7th round pick. You can't even compare them in that way.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
Lundquist wasn't nearly as highly touted though. It's a completely different situation. Lundy was a 7th round pick. You can't even compare them in that way.
why not/ how old was dipi when he first saw nhl ice?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
why not/ how old was dipi when he first saw nhl ice?
Undoubtedly he was rushed. I'm not denying that. But the islanders team was misrable in 2000-2001. The Rangers were better than the islanders and were developing a different goalie phenom named Dan Blackburn at the time. So there was not even an option to bring up Lundy. Plus, their place in the draft (1st v. 7th round) shows that DP was a much much better goalie at the time they were drafted. DP was more NHL ready than Lundy at that point. I don't know what your trying to prove here other than to just take a cheap shot at isles management.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Nich

both are great goalies, but the slight edge to lundqvist i.m.o, because you know he can handle pressure (sel playoff experience and olympic gold).

i would rate dp above with stick skills, yes, but i give lundqvist the edge with positioning. really i think he is close to tops with his positioning.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
Undoubtedly he was rushed. I'm not denying that. But the islanders team was misrable in 2000-2001. The Rangers were better than the islanders and were developing a different goalie phenom named Dan Blackburn at the time. So there was not even an option to bring up Lundy. Plus, their place in the draft (1st v. 7th round) shows that DP was a much much better goalie at the time they were drafted. DP was more NHL ready than Lundy at that point. I don't know what your trying to prove here other than to just take a cheap shot at isles management.
i don't know if it is more of dp being a better goalie, or lundqvist being unknown and under rated.

and trust me, only fichaud was more rushed than dan blackburn in comparison.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
both are great goalies, but the slight edge to lundqvist i.m.o, because you know he can handle pressure (sel playoff experience and olympic gold).

i would rate dp above with stick skills, yes, but i give lundqvist the edge with positioning. really i think he is close to tops with his positioning.
That signature. Who's quote is that?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Chimp

I don't think Lundqvist would have been as stellar if he moved to NHL sooner than he did, but he certainly wouldn't have made a fool out of himself.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i don't know if it is more of dp being a better goalie, or lundqvist being unknown and under rated.
Cmon dude. These teams have scouts all over the world. You think that every single team's scouts just missed Lundy on their trips to Sweden? They obviously saw him and watched hours and hours of games he played in. If you think the draft position had to do with Lundquist being "unknown" i think your crazy.

At this point the skill set is similar though, which is all that matters.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I don't think Lundqvist would have been as stellar if he moved to NHL sooner than he did, but he certainly wouldn't have made a fool out of himself.
I hope you are not trying to say that DP made a fool out of himself.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I hope you are not trying to say that DP made a fool out of himself.
Certainly not, I'm only talking about Lundqvist's and his SEL career. He was stellar in SEL as well.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Certainly not, I'm only talking about Lundqvist's and his SEL career. He was stellar in SEL as well.
I figured that. I didnt know how to write that to make you think I wasn't trying to start an argument.

Old
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
bleedrngrblue

Right now, all we can say is they are 2 very excellent goaltenders, with potential for greatness at the NHL level. Wether they fulfill all that potential remains to be seen, but they seem to be headed in the right direction. Honestly, As a Ranger fan, if DiPi was our goaltender, I think we would still be where we are right now, they are that close in ability. Lets see 4-5 years from now where they stand. I think we'll be comparing them to Luongo by then as top 5 guys in the league.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Taz

I have always liked DP, but i feel Lundqvist just edges him slightly in consistancy but i would take DP as my goalie no problem

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
blue2noise

Sadly the best of the three may wind up being Montoya, and he will have to be moved soon, as Henrik deserves to stay for a long long time

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Sadly the best of the three may wind up being Montoya, and he will have to be moved soon, as Henrik deserves to stay for a long long time
He doesn't have to be moved soon. He can spend another year in Hartford, and then back up Henrik for a year. They can certainly keep him in the organization another 2, possibly even 3 years. He really won't have to be moved until the summer of '09 at the earliest. Obviously if they got a great package for him before then they could certainly deal him earlier, but for now there's no reason not to keep him around while his stock rises. If he proves to be better than Henrik then you deal the King instead.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote