HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist vs. DiPietro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2007, 03:43 PM
  #26
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
You saw...

howe important DP is to the Isles yesterday - he made some fantastic saves. I wouldn't however, trade him for Lundqvist. I think that even though DP's been in the NHL longer, and they're roughly the same age, that Lundqvist has better experience resulting from him playing in the SEL, international play, etc. Just a preference - DP's one heck of a gutsy goalie, and a damn good one at that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 03:57 PM
  #27
BJo
Registered User
 
BJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
howe important DP is to the Isles yesterday - he made some fantastic saves. I wouldn't however, trade him for Lundqvist. I think that even though DP's been in the NHL longer, and they're roughly the same age, that Lundqvist has better experience resulting from him playing in the SEL, international play, etc. Just a preference - DP's one heck of a gutsy goalie, and a damn good one at that.
I don't think either team would trade their goalie for the other. Some theory about how you place more value on things you own than things that you are trying to get. However, with DP's recent concussions, i would never trade lunquist for him if i was a ranger fan.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
  #28
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Injuries to DP..

do cloud things somewhat. He's a gamer though - hopefully he getds through the playoffs healthy and rests over the Summer and ready to go next season. A good Isles team is a bit more fun competition-wise in the area. Makes the game more interesting (as long as the Rangers win, of course )

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
  #29
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Dipietro is the more talented of the two but Lundqvist puts up the numbers and wins games.. kind of silly to even knock him down right now when he's playing probably the best he ever has to this point

I feel Lundqvist will have a better team and just the type of performer he is, he won't choke with it so in the long run I see him getting more acclaim.. could be just my bias thoughts of the Isles but I don't see DP having a team that will do much right now anyway so similar to how Richter was back when the Rangers sucked, he'll get the constant shaft

one bad thing about DP is imo he will always be the more inconsistent of the two so I favor Lundqvist

for the record, Dipietro and Lundqvist are really the only two goaltenders I have much of a liking for.. Luongo used to be another but I never see him play anymore

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:06 PM
  #30
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
both are great goalies, but the slight edge to lundqvist i.m.o, because you know he can handle pressure (sel playoff experience and olympic gold).
He can handle the pressure becuase he won the olympics.
He cant handle the pressure because he crumbled to the Devils last year.

I dont think either of those are valid arguments.

I would take DiPietro becuase he is more athletic and serves as a 3rd defencman. I think Lundqvist is solid but he just doesnt have that same spark that DP has.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 05:42 PM
  #31
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,257
vCash: 500
To me this is DP's breakout season. Lundqvist's was last year. So to me even though Rick has more NHL experience Henrik's a little bit ahead of him on the curve. There is no doubt that DiPietro's stickhandling and passing is of benefit to his team--he does get caught occasionally and he does occasionally get caught up in the action when he doesn't need to. Another thing is I don't know if Henrik isn't going to become an even better goaltender--he's a driven player and seems to me to be championship motivated--Swedish elite league championships--Olympic gold medal. Between the two I'd take Henrik but both of these guys look like they're going to give their teams great goaltending for a long long time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
  #32
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
He can handle the pressure becuase he won the olympics.
He cant handle the pressure because he crumbled to the Devils last year.
He wasn't healthy last year, why is it so hard for people to understand this? He looks nothing like he did last year in the playoffs

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
  #33
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Lets just say we didnt rush Lundy like the fishies did with dipi.
DP really looks to be feeling ill effects from being rushed

try again

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
  #34
yarre
Registered User
 
yarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
I haven't seen DiPetro that much but in the games I have seen him, he has looked really good and I can't really say if any of the two is the better one.

The fact that most people are saying the same thing on a Ranger-board about a rival's goalie says alot about the respect DiPetro has achieved this season, he is a great goalie.

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
  #35
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
DP really looks to be feeling ill effects from being rushed

try again
He might not be feeling them but the Isles did

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
  #36
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
In terms of simply stopping pucks, you need to give the edge to Lundqvist. I mean, the guy not only uses his size extremely well, but he also has very good reflexes and can make those huge saves that puts him well ahead of other butterfly goalies, like Tim Thomas.

DiPietro on the other hand brings other things to the table in addition to very good puck stopping (I would honestly put him a little below Lundqvist ). His stickhandling and passing is second only to Brodeur. He ignites the Islanders offense and is a huge part of the powerplay. His passing gives us many oddman rushes and he doesn't really make mistakes in his handling anymore.

Comparing the two is sort of like Brodeur vs. Roy. DiPietro is Brodeur, Lundqvist is Roy. I would but DiPietro ever so slightly ahead, but not because of his ability to stop pucks. Either way, both teams have great goaltenders for years to come.
Well said....Except for that part......


Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 04-15-2007 at 07:43 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
  #37
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Ask this same question in 10 years

its a bit pointless now.

both are excellent young goalies.

__________________
DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:12 PM
  #38
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Personally I'd take either but Lundqvist seems a tad more constistent. Although I wish Lundqvist could stick handle even half as well a Dipietro. Lundqvist is almost as bad as Hasek.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:13 PM
  #39
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
He can handle the pressure becuase he won the olympics.
He cant handle the pressure because he crumbled to the Devils last year.

I dont think either of those are valid arguments.

I would take DiPietro becuase he is more athletic and serves as a 3rd defencman. I think Lundqvist is solid but he just doesnt have that same spark that DP has.
point B was only said so you can try and bring Lundqvist down.. please.. Lundqvist has proven his worth in pressure games, SEL/Olympics.. heck you can even talk about the second half of this season where most games were playoff like.. its not even a question, last season he was injured and it was obvious, and the team fell completely apart

DP has a spark? man.. i love the guy but i just can't stand it when homer fans make comments on their own players.. now watch this be said for me after making factual points rather than some bull ***** like he has a "spark"

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:31 PM
  #40
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 50
If anyone cares:

Lundqvist: GP123 Min7,220 W67 L34 T0 OT17 GA276 SA3,412 SO7 GAA2.29 SVE.919

DiPi: GP205 Min11,710 W90 L81 T8 OT14 GA540 SA5,763 SO11 GAA2.77 SVE.906

on paper...

rookie year? Lundqvist
international accomplishments? Lundqvist
career stats? Lundqvist
This year? Lundqvist though by not as wide of a margin as the others
playoffs? both tied at 2 career wins atm

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
  #41
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
If anyone cares:

Lundqvist: GP123 Min7,220 W67 L34 T0 OT17 GA276 SA3,412 SO7 GAA2.29 SVE.919

DiPi: GP205 Min11,710 W90 L81 T8 OT14 GA540 SA5,763 SO11 GAA2.77 SVE.906
And you can compare DiPietro's playoff stats to Lundqvist's and it won't be close. But that isn't a fair comparison because Lundqvist was hurt.

Just like this isn't a fair comparison because DiPietro was rushed into the league by the Islanders.

Point is, both should be mainstays for these two teams over the next 5-10 years, and that's a GOOD thing for NY hockey.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:38 PM
  #42
soundtigersfan
Registered User
 
soundtigersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
They're both coming into their own as elite goalies in the league. This is going to be a very good thing for New York hockey in general. I'm just looking forward to enjoying the next couple of years.

soundtigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 11:39 PM
  #43
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
And you can compare DiPietro's playoff stats to Lundqvist's and it won't be close. But that isn't a fair comparison because Lundqvist was hurt.

Just like this isn't a fair comparison because DiPietro was rushed into the league by the Islanders.

Point is, both should be mainstays for these two teams over the next 5-10 years, and that's a GOOD thing for NY hockey.
I did they both have 2 wins and DP has more loses what's your point? And yes they will both be great for many years to come more then likely.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:38 AM
  #44
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
If anyone cares:

Lundqvist: GP123 Min7,220 W67 L34 T0 OT17 GA276 SA3,412 SO7 GAA2.29 SVE.919

DiPi: GP205 Min11,710 W90 L81 T8 OT14 GA540 SA5,763 SO11 GAA2.77 SVE.906

on paper...

rookie year? Lundqvist
international accomplishments? Lundqvist
career stats? Lundqvist
This year? Lundqvist though by not as wide of a margin as the others
playoffs? both tied at 2 career wins atm
such a simple post puts everything into perspective..

if not for the season DP has had, this wouldn't even be a discussion

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 01:00 AM
  #45
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 920
I think the amazing thing is that both were drafted the same year, yet Lundqvist was taken 205th while DiPietro went 1st. Just further backs the argument that you can find quality goaltenders in the mid-to-late rounds, you don't necessarily have to use a 1st round pick on a goaltender to find success. I for one was against taking Blackburn at 10, as well as Montoya at 6. For every Luongo, there's a Brian Finley.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 05:50 AM
  #46
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
Cmon dude. These teams have scouts all over the world. You think that every single team's scouts just missed Lundy on their trips to Sweden? They obviously saw him and watched hours and hours of games he played in. If you think the draft position had to do with Lundquist being "unknown" i think your crazy.
He was playing junior hockey in Sweden when he was drafted. Trust me, the swedish junior league is not a place where you get famous.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 06:56 AM
  #47
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
He was playing junior hockey in Sweden when he was drafted. Trust me, the swedish junior league is not a place where you get famous.
Exactly, and no, NHL scouts do not watch hours and hours of European players. Rangers got Lundqvist only because of Christer Rockström, who watched Lundqvist for 3 games - and if I remember it right he didn't even watch the games because of Lundqvist. He got interested in Henke because he had 2 shutouts and played very solid during those 3 games and during the later rounds for the Rangers to pick, Rockström talked them into picking Lundqvist.


Last edited by Chimp: 04-16-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 07:24 AM
  #48
yarre
Registered User
 
yarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Exactly, and no, NHL scouts do not watch hours and hours of European players. Rangers got Lundqvist only because of Christer Rockström, who watched Lundqvist for 3 games - and if I remember it right he didn't even watch the games because of Lundqvist. He got interested in Henke because he had 2 shutouts and played very solid during those 3 games and during the later rounds for the Rangers to pick, Rockström talked them into picking Lundqvist.
Wow... I wonder if scouts gets bonuses if they find gem's like that?

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 10:38 AM
  #49
Shadowrunner
Registered User
 
Shadowrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Sorry, but this is a silly argument, and even sillier to see such homerism from the Isles.

Just 4-5 months ago many Isles fans were painting DP as an average goalie. Since, he has had one terrific season. ONE. That is it.

Lundqvist was a Vezina nominee in his rookie year, has been the league's best goalie for the past 4 months this season, and is an olympic gold medalist. Oh yeah, he's younger too.

Lundqvist is EXTREMELY competitive and HATES to lose, so saying that DP has some sort of a spark that Henke doesn't is ludicrous. Saying that he's more talented -- even more so. The only thing that DP has on Henrik is his puck-handling.

Maybe DP will become the better goalie in the future (though I highly doubt it). But for anyone to say that DP is the better of the two (as politically correct you're trying to say it) is just, well, very silly.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.