HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Problems going from old skates to new skates

Old
04-15-2007, 12:17 PM
dgeesaman

vCash: 500
Problems going from old skates to new skates

Hello, my first day on the boards.

I'm looking for a new set of skates for the rec league hockey that I play. I played for 10 years on a pair of Bauer 3000 Composite, which I pitched last year after buying a new pair of Eastons. After the end of the first session, the Eastons started biting into my leg very hard at the top of the boot, and by the end of the second session I had swollen bumps there that made it even worse.

While the Easton's fit well in the store walking around, and I had them molded, I'm pretty convinced the difference is that the Easton's are made like all the recent skates with a lot of plastic and molded stuff. I stuck with them and probably wore them a dozen times to get thru the season. I tried all the tricks - skipped the top eyelet, taped padding to my ankle - but they never got better.

Is this just an Easton thing, or all of the newer lightweight skates made with rigid plastic? All I need is a skate with a little flexibility in that top inch of the boot so it doesn't bite into my leg. I'm probably going to go back to Bauer's no matter what the cost, but it looks like the good Bauer skates are built with the same way.

Also the old Bauers, as worn as they were, gave decent protection against slapshots and stuff. The Eastons left my foot smarting when just a pass hit my boot - and for blocking slapshots I'd rather not break something. (I'm also a runner - so a little bit of limping is actually a big deal). So better protection would be a great thing to get back again too.

Is this just an easton thing? Can anyone recommend a good bauer skate that is
1) more flexible or less likely to pinch
2) better protection
3) lightweight would be nice.

Dave

dgeesaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
crashlanding

I just switched to Easton skates from Bauer 3000s. I had the same problem where it would dig into the back outside part of my left ankle. Do you play without socks? I used to but switched to wearing them and it gave me a little more protection. I think the boot was just too stiff and I eventually broke them in and they don't give me any problems anymore.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
dgeesaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I just switched to Easton skates from Bauer 3000s. I had the same problem where it would dig into the back outside part of my left ankle. Do you play without socks? I used to but switched to wearing them and it gave me a little more protection. I think the boot was just too stiff and I eventually broke them in and they don't give me any problems anymore.
These skates chew on the front and outside of my ankle of both feet. Socks or no socks didn't matter, in the end I was wearing thin socks and taping hunks of foam rubber around my ankle to try and make the break-in tolerable. Like I said, after around a dozen sessions I had big swollen bumps on my ankles and the skates seemed like nothing had changed.

Dave

Old
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
stick9

Dave - Look at a pair of Graf 7 series. They are very close to an old school traditional type skate. All leather, very little if any plastic in the boot. Now, they may not be as light as some of these composite skates. You probably won't notice the difference. Once you break in a pair of Graf's it's like skating in your socks. They have some forward lean to them, that takes a little bit to get used too. You can have your blades cut to reduce the lean or swap out out the holders for Tuuk's.

I've heard about that problem with older Easton's. Something about the way the molded the boot and stitched around the plastic. I've been told it's no longer a problem on the new versions.

Last edited by stick9: 04-19-2007 at 08:25 AM.
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
dgeesaman

Well if that problem is just with older Eastons then it would make a lot of sense. But no Easton skates ever again - such a bad skate deserves to be left for good.

I used to design engineered fabric goods, and I have to say the way my Eastons are put together (rock hard right to the top seam) is absolutely idiotic. I'll definitely check out the Graf's, but I know for a fact that the Bauers fit my feet pretty well. So it's probably back to the Bauers for me.

Dave

Old
04-19-2007, 08:26 AM
number21

I think along with being stiff easton boots are cut slightly higher than the older bauers. I have the same problem, but just on my left leg, on the inside/front.

I picked up some used vector 6's (05 versions) and that boot is cut slightly lower, in the front anyway.

Maybe head to a shop and try on what you can and try and see what brands don't bug that spot on your legs.

number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:51 AM
RJ8812*

i have to buy new skates this year, i took a shot off the toe (its plastic) and it cracked bigtime...first time in like 5 years

no idea what im looking for

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I wear RBK's but I always wear a pair of fairly thick socks. Hit helps pad your foot. If I don't, it starts to hurt when the skate digs into your leg.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Dawn77

I went from CCM Tacks to the Vectors and I love the Vectors. Very comfy, I had a bit of the top of the boot digging into the side of my ankles, but after a few games, it was fun.

Dawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I got to look for new skates this year too, my blades are so wore down to the plastic that the tips are actually buried and my skates give me toe clamps from time to time.

My old skates were CCM Tacks, not sure what to look for but I'll have to look around.

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote