Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

General Rugby talk thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2008, 04:56 AM
CycloneLaunch

vCash: 500
Two awesome hakas last night/this morning. Love it when teams respond.

and Morozov i dropped a hundy on the kiwis at 13+ too

Pity about the ****ing cricket though...

Old
11-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Awesome man congrats on the moneys

Also

etc

Old
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Poor England, managed to stay in the game with 14 players for half an hour, but then the fitness just fell apart and the All Blacks just walked all over them.

They're really hurting for centres, Flutey is not an international 12, Noon is not an international 13. It doesn't help that Flood isn't an international fly half either (though I think he is rather effective playing "second five-eight").

New Zealand didn't even play well, which is the real kick in the teeth for England. No power, no pace, no skill, I'm surprised it was as close as it was for so long. Even if Easter had scored at the beginning of the 2nd half I don't think the game would have really changed in the end. It was just a matter of time before the floodgates opened up.

Now we get to see how Dan Carter handles it in Europe.

Old
11-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Poor England, managed to stay in the game with 14 players for half an hour, but then the fitness just fell apart and the All Blacks just walked all over them.

They're really hurting for centres, Flutey is not an international 12, Noon is not an international 13. It doesn't help that Flood isn't an international fly half either (though I think he is rather effective playing "second five-eight").

New Zealand didn't even play well, which is the real kick in the teeth for England. No power, no pace, no skill, I'm surprised it was as close as it was for so long. Even if Easter had scored at the beginning of the 2nd half I don't think the game would have really changed in the end. It was just a matter of time before the floodgates opened up.

Now we get to see how Dan Carter handles it in Europe.
Even though it was close on the score sheet in the first half, I was never thinking hey England might have a chance at this one. 5 minutes into the game I said to my mate that England will try to bring it like this all game but they won't be able to and then we will trample them and it is what happened. Even though the All Blacks weren't really up to scratch it was basically more of what the All Blacks are so good at, soaking up anything the opposition can throw at them and then once they are done they raise the bar and the other team can't keep up. The fact the All Blacks didn't let through a try in any of the grand slam games is definitely worth a mention. Mills and Carter as always had great games (ignoring Carters goal kicking) as did Nonu and Cowan. Loved Brad Thorn shoving the English bloke in the face in front of the ref, as much as Thorn is a big time silly penalty risk it means a lot to have a guy like him who just won't take crap and will back it up with his tackling as well as the fists.

England, and I do love to rip on them, were far from good. You need to play to the ref you have and despite the fact he was throwing out penalties all over the place they still took stupid penalties. Start of the game the ref was pinging the All Blacks all over the place and part of me was thinking is he out to screw us or what, what happened though was the All Blacks adapted, they started talking to the ref and getting a little chummy especially Mealamu was doing a good job of this at the scrum. Meanwhile the English thought they could get away with all sorts of crap that everyone else knew was not going to fly. I heard a lot about them supposedly selecting a tough, rugged kind of forward pack but they seemed like ******* to me and the whole team would have done better to just get on with the game at many times. The backs well, when you have Flutey out there your in trouble, this guy was a decent super 12/14 level kind of player and good on an npc level but not great. Flood is nothing worth mentioning though I understand he supposedly is better at 12, I should hope so. The wingers looked like they be somewhat entertaining but we didn't really get to find out. Care seems like an arrogant ***** despite not actually achieving very much. These guys are far from being a team that could consistently challenge New Zealand or South Africa.

Also, there aren't many better things to watch than somebody holding Ali Williams jersey as if they are about to punch him and Ali just standing there laughing in the guys face.

Last edited by Morozov: 11-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old
11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Roughneck

Its odd how England's fitness has dropped off so much in 4 years. In 2003 they were easily the fittest team in the world, its why they won the World Cup. Back then it was South Africa and New Zealand who kept pointing to fitness as the main reasons they were losing to them. Now its reversed. Apparently all the conditioning coaches in England either retired after 03 or moved to NZ and South Africa (the Aussies are still fat).

England's pack should have been able to compete better, but they were just out-muscled and out-hustled. While their backline has been pretty awful for a few years now, their pack has been able to keep them in games, and even win some (see the last World Cup). Aside from Kennedy in the lineout and Vickery in the scrum, their forwards were a non-factor. It wasn't so much that they couldn't adjust to the calls in the breakdown, they just couldn't compete with the AB forwards, the only thing they could do was throw their body in and hope they stay on their feet. All NZ needed to do was basically lean in to secure the ball, tying up 4 English forwards in the process.

I'm as happy as anybody to see England struggling, especially with that useless backline of theirs (they can put out a very good back 3, they just can't get them the ball), but I just wish Ireland could have put up a better fight than they did. Wales continued to show they can compete, Scotland made some big stride as well, England just sucked, and Ireland weren't much better.

Old
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Roughneck

The 2011 World Cup Draw was made yesterday (seems ridiculously early doesn't it?)

Anyways, here it is

Pool A: New Zealand, France, Tonga, Americas 1, Asia 1

-Americas 1 should be Canada, Asia 1 will be Japan (together again). Shouldn't be more than a formality for NZ and France to finish 1-2. I'd like to see Canada finish third, we should be able to topple Tonga in 3 years. At least 2 of my friends should be on that Canada squad, maybe a third.

Pool B: Argentina, England, Scotland, Europe 1, playoff winner

-The hardest group to predict by far. Argentina has lost a few key players already and are likely to lose a forward or two to retirement in the next year or so, I doubt we'll see the same magic as 07. England should be able to make some large strides in 3 years, they should win the group. Scotland is capable of beating both on their day.

Pool C: Australia, Ireland, Italy, Europe 2, Americas 2

-Thank God for this. If a QF spot was ever given on a silver platter for Ireland than this was it. Australia should still win the group, but it could be close. I just don't know who will be Ireland's fly half in 2011, with any luck Italy still wont have one.

Pool D: South Africa, Wales, Fiji, Oceania 1, Africa 1

-Well this is as close to the group of death as you will get. Oceania 1 will be Samoa, and that makes for the strongest group 1-4. If Wales can keep on stride it should be a SA, Wales top 2 regardless, but it should make for the most entertaining group of the lot.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

In 3 years if Canada tops Tonga at the world cup as your suggesting that would be a very good status for Canada, those island teams bring it very strong at world cup time but if Canada can get themselves up to above that sort of level of world rugby that the pacific island nations are at then they will be doing very well.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
In 3 years if Canada tops Tonga at the world cup as your suggesting that would be a very good status for Canada, those island teams bring it very strong at world cup time but if Canada can get themselves up to above that sort of level of world rugby that the pacific island nations are at then they will be doing very well.
We were a metre away from beating Fiji at the 07 World Cup (before they dropped the ball and Fiji ran it back in the entire field for the final score). If Crowley can actually make the changes he wants to I think Canada could do it. Actually having a proper fall tour was a huge step forward (getting blown out in all the games was the wakeup call Rugby Canada needed).

Of course Tonga and the other islands could also make big strides in 3 years.

Old
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
We were a metre away from beating Fiji at the 07 World Cup (before they dropped the ball and Fiji ran it back in the entire field for the final score). If Crowley can actually make the changes he wants to I think Canada could do it. Actually having a proper fall tour was a huge step forward (getting blown out in all the games was the wakeup call Rugby Canada needed).

Of course Tonga and the other islands could also make big strides in 3 years.
I agree that Canada could do it just saying that if they do it will be a very good achievement for them. If they can move up to regularly competing against and beating the island countries then that makes them a much more legitimate team on the world stage.

Old
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Roughneck

Josh Lewsey has retired from international rugby. Probably for the best, why waste your time with the national team if they're just going to screw around with you. How the likes of Jamie Noon and Ricky Flutey are starting in the centres and Lewsey doesn't even get selected to the 22 is baffling to me, even as a natural fullback he's a better centre than either of those two.

A rather unheralded career for England, pound for pound the best tackler they've had in ages. I'm pretty sure Mat Rogers still can't surf.

Old
02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
krudmonk

Resurrecting a sticky?

- Wire blew it against the Saints today

+ Wales are going to mop the turf with England tomorrow

Old
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Resurrecting a sticky?

- Wire blew it against the Saints today

+ Wales are going to mop the turf with England tomorrow
This is Irelands to lose. Get past Scotland and the Welsh-Irish game will be massive.

Old
03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

All about the league right now tbh.

Old
03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Roughneck

Ireland always seem to have trouble at Murrayfield, and Scotland have confidence ever since the Autumn, I'm worried about the game. Hopefully D'Arcy can have a big start, and O'Gara gets his head back in the game.

On the club side, I have a feeling big changes will have to come to the Premiership, Wasps have lost Haskell, Flutey and Palmer for next year, Redden could be on his way out and apparently Saracens are becoming London South Africa.

As for the Magners, Ospreys aren't the real deal as far as I can tell, Munster will continue to take their cult-like ways deep into the HC, Leinster will go nowhere if Whitaker is the scrum half (or if Nacewa sees any more time at fly-half). Ulster will be a team to watch in the next couple years, they've been able to give a lot of young players good minutes and it will pay dividends. Connacht is still horribly misused by the IRFU, though Ian Keatley is definitely Ireland's next fly-half so its good to see him playing instead of wasting away for a Leinster AIB club.

Have a bunch of Super 14 games saved on DVR I'll have to give a watch, but I really can't wait for the next round of Heineken Cup games.

Old
03-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

I still can't believe Flutey is over there achieving things hell even making Englands team. He sucks lol.

Old
03-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I guess you either hate him or love him. For me, Flutey has been one of the few things going right among England's backs. His defensive awareness is excellent and he's created several breaks his linemates have wasted miserably. Unlike most English centres, he actually knows how to pass out of the tackle. If he was 6-3 and 230 pounds he'd be far better known.

However the players obviously rate him, he was their player of the year in the Premiership last season. I guess he wasnt the same player down under.

Last edited by Gwyddbwyll: 03-14-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old
03-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I guess you either hate him or love him. For me, Flutey has been one of the few things going right among England's backs. His defensive awareness is excellent and he's created several breaks his linemates have wasted miserably. Unlike most English centres, he actually knows how to pass out of the tackle. If he was 6-3 and 230 pounds he'd be far better known.

However the players obviously rate him, he was their player of the year in the Premiership last season. I guess he wasnt the same player down under.

I don't "hate him" I have nothing against him at all, happy he is doing well for himself. Just don't understand how somebody who was so average goes over and ends up making Englands team and being one of the best players in the premiership. This guy was average Super 14 player at best, wasn't even a regular for Wellington at NPC level.

As far as passing out of the tackle, that is definitely where the Maori and Pacific Island players come in handy

Old
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
I don't "hate him" I have nothing against him at all, happy he is doing well for himself. Just don't understand how somebody who was so average goes over and ends up making Englands team and being one of the best players in the premiership. This guy was average Super 14 player at best, wasn't even a regular for Wellington at NPC level.
I think he learned a lot playing at Wasps, especially defensively because of Shaun Edwards. And the fact he's a natural 12 and England is full of fly-halves moving over (Flood, Barkley, Geraghty are the other options and are natural 10s) gives him an advantage as well. England have no centres anymore, Tindall seems to be finding his way back in but when Jamie Noon is starting, you know you've got some depth issues.

And on a different note, where the hell does Isa Nacewa play? He got a run at 10 when Leinster had a bunch of injuries and he was just awful. Bad at kicking, passing, running, everything. They've played him on the wing recently and he's looked good but I always thought he was a centre or fullback.

Quote:
As far as passing out of the tackle, that is definitely where the Maori and Pacific Island players come in handy
Most players just make the same pass before the tackle

Old
03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
I think he learned a lot playing at Wasps, especially defensively because of Shaun Edwards. And the fact he's a natural 12 and England is full of fly-halves moving over (Flood, Barkley, Geraghty are the other options and are natural 10s) gives him an advantage as well. England have no centres anymore, Tindall seems to be finding his way back in but when Jamie Noon is starting, you know you've got some depth issues.

And on a different note, where the hell does Isa Nacewa play? He got a run at 10 when Leinster had a bunch of injuries and he was just awful. Bad at kicking, passing, running, everything. They've played him on the wing recently and he's looked good but I always thought he was a centre or fullback.

Most players just make the same pass before the tackle
It also sounds like Flutey has been allowed to specialize in one position over there? over here he got pegged as a "utility" guy which is usually the last thing you wan't for developing your career. Nacewa was another guy who ended up with the utility tag, but he did a pretty decent job of playing 10 over here for the Blues for a season when McAlister was injured and then the following season they left him at 10 so Luke could play outside him. He never really impressed me too much though, probably because I hate the Blues I never really thought of him as smart enough to be a regular 10 but he did have some good tools to work with.

Old
03-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Lol well done Flutey!

Old
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
I didnt mean hate as in passion, just as in not rating him. Have read a few threads where people seem polarised about him. Roughneck seems to have summarised it pretty well. He's specialised in a position where England are very shallow.

Ireland-Wales set up for a great match in Cardiff next week.

Old
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Ireland-Wales set up for a great match in Cardiff next week.
Couldn't have been a better set up. The Championship and Triple Crown on the line for both teams, Ireland with their shot at the first Grand Slam in 60 years. I'm pretty nervous.

Even the Scotland-England game should be decent to watch as well. Thom and Max Evans are going to bring Scotland back into respectability in the coming years, along with that great pack. Now if only they could find an international fly-half.

Old
03-17-2009, 12:09 PM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Quote:
Couldn't have been a better set up. The Championship and Triple Crown on the line for both teams, Ireland with their shot at the first Grand Slam in 60 years. I'm pretty nervous.

Even the Scotland-England game should be decent to watch as well. Thom and Max Evans are going to bring Scotland back into respectability in the coming years, along with that great pack. Now if only they could find an international fly-half.
I didn't realize Thom Evans had made it into the Scotland squad. He was a really good prospect a few years ago at Wasps, but was too far down the pecking order behind Voyce, Lewsey, Sackey. Glad to see he's progressed.

I've been terrible following rugby this season - lack of time and Setanta over here, along with a below-par Wasps and perennially poor England team making it less of a priority to find streams over the interweb.

Old
03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gialloneri View Post
I didn't realize Thom Evans had made it into the Scotland squad. He was a really good prospect a few years ago at Wasps, but was too far down the pecking order behind Voyce, Lewsey, Sackey. Glad to see he's progressed.
He sort of rocketed onto the scene this season, both for Glasgow and Scotland. He's got world class pace which you don't really see out of a Scottish player (albeit he was raised and trained by the English). Wasps definitely had better talent at the time, but he's a starting winger on any club (or country) in Europe right now. I'd say Williams, and perhaps Sackey (when they actually get him the ball) are the only wingers better at the moment.

Quote:
I've been terrible following rugby this season - lack of time and Setanta over here, along with a below-par Wasps and perennially poor England team making it less of a priority to find streams over the interweb.
I'm lucky my dad is the one paying for Setanta, but he thinks its the best $15/month he's spent on entertainment in the 25 years he's been over here. Of course we'll be paying the PPV charge down at the pub to watch the 6N live this weekend, Welsh fans usually infest the place more than anybody but I imagine every Irish ex-pat with an interest in rugby will be down there on Saturday as well.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Quote:
He sort of rocketed onto the scene this season, both for Glasgow and Scotland. He's got world class pace which you don't really see out of a Scottish player (albeit he was raised and trained by the English). Wasps definitely had better talent at the time, but he's a starting winger on any club (or country) in Europe right now. I'd say Williams, and perhaps Sackey (when they actually get him the ball) are the only wingers better at the moment.
Yeah, he was dynamite for us during the Middlesex Sevens for the 2 seasons before he left, and he always got glowing reports in the A-League. We'd certainly have loved to see him develop into the winger he is today while staying at Wasps, but couldn't begrudge him looking for better opportunities for first-team rugby and thus a faster track into international rugby up at Glasgow. Always good to see our Academy kids succeed.

Closed Thread