HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

General Rugby talk thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
  #776
villevalo
Registered User
 
villevalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
London Welsh have won their appeal to be promoted into the Premiership, glad they won, its always nice to see fresh blood in the league. Although one up one down isn't really enough IMO, need to extend it to two down, perhaps some sort of small playoff series for the second team coming up.

villevalo is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
  #777
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka
 
Miss Ausguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
What the heck is going on with the Melbourne Storm, got absolutely smacked by the Canberra Raiders last night 40 -12?

Miss Ausguins is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
  #778
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ausguins View Post
What the heck is going on with the Melbourne Storm, got absolutely smacked by the Canberra Raiders last night 40 -12?
To be fair they were without Slater and Smith. Plus Cronk backing up from Origin and the Raiders really brought it, different team last two games for sure.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
  #779
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 51,052
vCash: 500
First time Storm lost back to back home games since 05 or 06. They'll be right.

darko is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  #780
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,614
vCash: 500
I keep hearing banter about who should host the Rugby World Cup 2023.

2015 of course is in England/Wales while 2019 is in Japan with some matches in Singapore/Hong Kong.

So that rules out England/Asia for 2023.

The nations making the biggest noise so far for the World Cup 2023 are ....

Argentina - The only Rugby World Cup semi finalist to have never hosted a Rugby World Cup. The chances of a South American bid are very strong given that Argentina initially were interested in bidding to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2019 Rugby World Cup but decided not to make a bid, instead preferring to focus on establishing the professional high performance program and getting Argentina into the Tri Nations.

Ireland/Scotland-
Quote:
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) have confirmed that they are considering putting in a bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne says that political support for the bid would be crucial particularly as the International Rugby Board requires the host country of the Rugby World Cup to lodge a significant hosting fee.

The fee for the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan was Euro115 million so the 2023 figure is expected to be higher.
United States / Canada -
Quote:
The United States are considering a bid to stage the 2023 Rugby World Cup, which could involve Canada as co-hosts.
Former England captain Nigel Melville - the USA Rugby CEO - said they had been asked to bid to host rugby's biggest tournament for the first time

‘We were asked during the World Cup whether we would be prepared to bid for 2023. I know it seems like a very long way away for us all but we have to start those processes now so we are having a discussion about that,’ Melville said in an interview with RuggaMatrix America podcast.
Russia - Russia have already said they will bid to host the 2023 tournament.

Italy- If the World Cup does go back to Europe - the biggest treat to Italy is of course Ireland/Scotland joint bid and Russia.

South Africa - It's been a while since Africa had a Rugby World Cup, still have great stadiums from SA Soccer World Cup 2010.

Australia- Why wouldn't they want it?

GarretJoseph* is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
  #781
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Give it to South Africa, then give it to some minnow nation like USA or Russia.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
  #782
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka
 
Miss Ausguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
First time Storm lost back to back home games since 05 or 06. They'll be right.
My Cowboys play them this weekend and I don't like their chances with or without Princess Billy

Miss Ausguins is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
  #783
Bionda
AL East Champions
 
Bionda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
The U.S is suddenly a better stage for International Rugby Union than Canada ?

This is news to me , if they manage to outbid this country it will be a rather pathetic showing on our part.

When did they create a better developmental system than B.C or Ontario?
There is little participation at the high school stage, whereas essentially every B.C and Ontario secondary school has a rugby union team (as well as club teams).


Last edited by Bionda: 07-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Bionda is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 05:12 AM
  #784
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionda View Post
The U.S is suddenly a better stage for International Rugby Union than Canada ?

This is news to me , if they manage to outbid this country it will be a rather pathetic showing on our part.

When did they create a better developmental system than B.C or Ontario?
There is little participation at the high school stage, whereas essentially every B.C and Ontario secondary school has a rugby union team (as well as club teams).
There's more to a World Cup bid than just having a good development system and participation levels. Otherwise they'd just have the World Cup at the power nations every time.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
  #785
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Barba is the biggest excitement machine to come along in either code since Cullen for mine. Every week I get so excited about watching him play, he's just such a freak.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 01:55 AM
  #786
Blue Dragon
Registered User
 
Blue Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
There's more to a World Cup bid than just having a good development system and participation levels. Otherwise they'd just have the World Cup at the power nations every time.
Exactly. The biggest factors in a World Cup bid are stadiums and infrastructure. The US has a glut of stadiums with appropriate dimensions for Rugby, and most of the large cities have the hotel rooms, transportation infrastructure and broadcast capabilities to host World Cup Rugby Events.

Blue Dragon is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 04:39 AM
  #787
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka
 
Miss Ausguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
I didn't expect that. Cowboys defeated those entitled Mexicans without Princess Billy - Life is good once again

Miss Ausguins is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
  #788
Bionda
AL East Champions
 
Bionda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Barba is the biggest excitement machine to come along in either code since Cullen for mine. Every week I get so excited about watching him play, he's just such a freak.
That is high praise.. I agree with you, Cullen was one of my favourites, but Barba is proving his mettle rather well. All those electrifying runs, and gorgeous tries, he will be featured on many highlights for years to come (hopefully).

Seems to be a class act as well, although who truly knows these athletes apart from their inner circles?

Bionda is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
  #789
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 51,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ausguins View Post
I didn't expect that. Cowboys defeated those entitled Mexicans without Princess Billy - Life is good once again





3 home losses in a row now for Storm.

darko is offline  
Old
07-16-2012, 01:48 AM
  #790
Angry Boys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Barba is the biggest excitement machine to come along in either code since Cullen for mine. Every week I get so excited about watching him play, he's just such a freak.
He was originally with the Broncos junior scholarship squad when he was a teenager, but they didnt sign him - they thought he was too small. I bet the Broncos want a mulligan on that decision!!

Great player who will play origin next year if he keeps injury free

Angry Boys is offline  
Old
07-16-2012, 06:01 AM
  #791
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
He still won't make Origin if Slater is healthy.

Holy **** what a finish to Monday night footy, epic.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
  #792
villevalo
Registered User
 
villevalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I keep hearing banter about who should host the Rugby World Cup 2023.

2015 of course is in England/Wales while 2019 is in Japan with some matches in Singapore/Hong Kong.

So that rules out England/Asia for 2023.

The nations making the biggest noise so far for the World Cup 2023 are ....

Argentina - The only Rugby World Cup semi finalist to have never hosted a Rugby World Cup. The chances of a South American bid are very strong given that Argentina initially were interested in bidding to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2019 Rugby World Cup but decided not to make a bid, instead preferring to focus on establishing the professional high performance program and getting Argentina into the Tri Nations.

Ireland/Scotland-

United States / Canada -

Russia - Russia have already said they will bid to host the 2023 tournament.

Italy- If the World Cup does go back to Europe - the biggest treat to Italy is of course Ireland/Scotland joint bid and Russia.

South Africa - It's been a while since Africa had a Rugby World Cup, still have great stadiums from SA Soccer World Cup 2010.

Australia- Why wouldn't they want it?
If Union is to expand then it must do so primarily in NA, have the competition in USA/Canada and you'll see the participation and interest there grow massively.

villevalo is offline  
Old
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
  #793
vsk92
Alltid IFK
 
vsk92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scotland.
Country: Finland
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
So that rules out England/Asia for 2023.
Why not give the worst ranked team in the world Finland it we sure could use to boost rugby here

vsk92 is offline  
Old
07-17-2012, 05:28 PM
  #794
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 9,371
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
If Union is to expand then it must do so primarily in NA, have the competition in USA/Canada and you'll see the participation and interest there grow massively.
I'd like to see Canada go at it on our own but the only way the IRB might go for it is if the U.S. is involved (and more than likely the main host with the token Canadian group rather than the other way around) but a guy can dream.



I really don't know why Ireland doesn't go at it on their own. If New Zealand can host it then Ireland certainly can, especially with access to GAA stadiums (which they should get if Croke Park was allowed to have 'God Save the Queen' be played before England took the field in a rugby game):

A Dublin group: Croke Park, Lansdowne (I'm sorry, "Aviva") and the RDS.
An Ulster group: Ravenhill, Clones, Casement Park
Munster Group 1: Thurles, Cork's GAA stadium, Musgrave
Limerick/Galway: Thomond Park, Limerick GAA grounds, Pearse Stadium

QFs: Thomond Park, Lansdowne, Croker, Ravenhill
SFs/3rd place: Lansdowne

Final: Croker

If Scotland is involved it becomes a bit easier, give Scotland one group and then have Thomond, Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Pearse host a group so you have Limerick, Cork and Galway each getting a game. I figure 'Aviva' would have to get some pretty high profile games to justify the cost of the thing. You can't have your national stadium not be used for the sport it was (re-)built for but you also can't pass up the chance to show off Croke Park to the world for the final.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:26 AM
  #795
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
There's no words to describe the run Barba is on at the moment.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 04:13 AM
  #796
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka
 
Miss Ausguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Was at the Cowboys v Tiggers game last night and I have no words to describe Matty Bowen at the moment, I loved his beast mode last night.

I even went to the game straight from work yesterday hehe.

It's going to be interesting against the Doggies this weekend.

Miss Ausguins is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
  #797
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Well I was at the Warriors/Knights game.

and that's really all I'd like to say about that

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  #798
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 50
First post in this area but here goes!

It's official: I really like rugby. Don't necessarily have a favorite team in the different leagues I've seen on SETANTA but, it's fast, furious and I LOVE that it doesn't have all the annoying commercial breaks American football has. So, do I continue not having a favorite team or any suggestions for who I should root for? Here's my favorite teams in other sports leagues if that helps explain who I root for: NHL: Nashville Predators NFL: Kansas City Chiefs MLB: Seattle Mariners NBA: Screw the NBA after the Sonics moved.

In general I root for underdogs. Willing to take suggestions for any of the leagues that SETANTA shows. As for national teams well, going to stick with the good ol' USA especially considering Rugby will return to the Olympics in 2016.

Oh I should mention I have bot SETANTA and Australia Broadcasting Network, so I get LOTS of Rugby, but as I'm still fairly new to it all don't really know who to root for.

golfmade is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  #799
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
First post in this area but here goes!

It's official: I really like rugby. Don't necessarily have a favorite team in the different leagues I've seen on SETANTA but, it's fast, furious and I LOVE that it doesn't have all the annoying commercial breaks American football has. So, do I continue not having a favorite team or any suggestions for who I should root for? Here's my favorite teams in other sports leagues if that helps explain who I root for: NHL: Nashville Predators NFL: Kansas City Chiefs MLB: Seattle Mariners NBA: Screw the NBA after the Sonics moved.

In general I root for underdogs. Willing to take suggestions for any of the leagues that SETANTA shows. As for national teams well, going to stick with the good ol' USA especially considering Rugby will return to the Olympics in 2016.

Oh I should mention I have bot SETANTA and Australia Broadcasting Network, so I get LOTS of Rugby, but as I'm still fairly new to it all don't really know who to root for.
What leagues do they play on those networks over there? do they play league and union?

Rugby isn't returning to the Olympics in 2016, Rugby Sevens is coming to the Olympics. Very, very different. USA actually hosts a leg of the Rugby Sevens circuit each year.

Morozov is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
  #800
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
What leagues do they play on those networks over there? do they play league and union?

Rugby isn't returning to the Olympics in 2016, Rugby Sevens is coming to the Olympics. Very, very different. USA actually hosts a leg of the Rugby Sevens circuit each year.
As for Setanta: http://www.setanta.com/asia/Our-Sports/

And ABC shows Aussie Rules.

As for the Olympics my bad. I really like Rugby Sevens though.

golfmade is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.