Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

General Rugby talk thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
villevalo

vCash: 500
London Welsh have won their appeal to be promoted into the Premiership, glad they won, its always nice to see fresh blood in the league. Although one up one down isn't really enough IMO, need to extend it to two down, perhaps some sort of small playoff series for the second team coming up.

Old
07-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka

What the heck is going on with the Melbourne Storm, got absolutely smacked by the Canberra Raiders last night 40 -12?

Old
07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 1200
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ausguins View Post
What the heck is going on with the Melbourne Storm, got absolutely smacked by the Canberra Raiders last night 40 -12?
To be fair they were without Slater and Smith. Plus Cronk backing up from Origin and the Raiders really brought it, different team last two games for sure.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
darko

First time Storm lost back to back home games since 05 or 06. They'll be right.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
GarretJoseph*

I keep hearing banter about who should host the Rugby World Cup 2023.

2015 of course is in England/Wales while 2019 is in Japan with some matches in Singapore/Hong Kong.

So that rules out England/Asia for 2023.

The nations making the biggest noise so far for the World Cup 2023 are ....

Argentina - The only Rugby World Cup semi finalist to have never hosted a Rugby World Cup. The chances of a South American bid are very strong given that Argentina initially were interested in bidding to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2019 Rugby World Cup but decided not to make a bid, instead preferring to focus on establishing the professional high performance program and getting Argentina into the Tri Nations.

Ireland/Scotland-
Quote:
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) have confirmed that they are considering putting in a bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne says that political support for the bid would be crucial particularly as the International Rugby Board requires the host country of the Rugby World Cup to lodge a significant hosting fee.

The fee for the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan was Euro115 million so the 2023 figure is expected to be higher.
United States / Canada -
Quote:
The United States are considering a bid to stage the 2023 Rugby World Cup, which could involve Canada as co-hosts.
Former England captain Nigel Melville - the USA Rugby CEO - said they had been asked to bid to host rugby's biggest tournament for the first time

‘We were asked during the World Cup whether we would be prepared to bid for 2023. I know it seems like a very long way away for us all but we have to start those processes now so we are having a discussion about that,’ Melville said in an interview with RuggaMatrix America podcast.
Russia - Russia have already said they will bid to host the 2023 tournament.

Italy- If the World Cup does go back to Europe - the biggest treat to Italy is of course Ireland/Scotland joint bid and Russia.

South Africa - It's been a while since Africa had a Rugby World Cup, still have great stadiums from SA Soccer World Cup 2010.

Australia- Why wouldn't they want it?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Give it to South Africa, then give it to some minnow nation like USA or Russia.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
First time Storm lost back to back home games since 05 or 06. They'll be right.
My Cowboys play them this weekend and I don't like their chances with or without Princess Billy

Old
07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Bionda
AL East Champions

The U.S is suddenly a better stage for International Rugby Union than Canada ?

This is news to me , if they manage to outbid this country it will be a rather pathetic showing on our part.

When did they create a better developmental system than B.C or Ontario?
There is little participation at the high school stage, whereas essentially every B.C and Ontario secondary school has a rugby union team (as well as club teams).

Last edited by Bionda: 07-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 05:12 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionda View Post
The U.S is suddenly a better stage for International Rugby Union than Canada ?

This is news to me , if they manage to outbid this country it will be a rather pathetic showing on our part.

When did they create a better developmental system than B.C or Ontario?
There is little participation at the high school stage, whereas essentially every B.C and Ontario secondary school has a rugby union team (as well as club teams).
There's more to a World Cup bid than just having a good development system and participation levels. Otherwise they'd just have the World Cup at the power nations every time.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Barba is the biggest excitement machine to come along in either code since Cullen for mine. Every week I get so excited about watching him play, he's just such a freak.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
There's more to a World Cup bid than just having a good development system and participation levels. Otherwise they'd just have the World Cup at the power nations every time.
Exactly. The biggest factors in a World Cup bid are stadiums and infrastructure. The US has a glut of stadiums with appropriate dimensions for Rugby, and most of the large cities have the hotel rooms, transportation infrastructure and broadcast capabilities to host World Cup Rugby Events.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka

I didn't expect that. Cowboys defeated those entitled Mexicans without Princess Billy - Life is good once again

Old
07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Bionda
AL East Champions

Quote:
Barba is the biggest excitement machine to come along in either code since Cullen for mine. Every week I get so excited about watching him play, he's just such a freak.
That is high praise.. I agree with you, Cullen was one of my favourites, but Barba is proving his mettle rather well. All those electrifying runs, and gorgeous tries, he will be featured on many highlights for years to come (hopefully).

Seems to be a class act as well, although who truly knows these athletes apart from their inner circles?

Old
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ausguins View Post
I didn't expect that. Cowboys defeated those entitled Mexicans without Princess Billy - Life is good once again

3 home losses in a row now for Storm.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Angry Boys

Quote:
He was originally with the Broncos junior scholarship squad when he was a teenager, but they didnt sign him - they thought he was too small. I bet the Broncos want a mulligan on that decision!!

Great player who will play origin next year if he keeps injury free

Old
07-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

He still won't make Origin if Slater is healthy.

Holy **** what a finish to Monday night footy, epic.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I keep hearing banter about who should host the Rugby World Cup 2023.

2015 of course is in England/Wales while 2019 is in Japan with some matches in Singapore/Hong Kong.

The nations making the biggest noise so far for the World Cup 2023 are ....

Argentina - The only Rugby World Cup semi finalist to have never hosted a Rugby World Cup. The chances of a South American bid are very strong given that Argentina initially were interested in bidding to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup or 2019 Rugby World Cup but decided not to make a bid, instead preferring to focus on establishing the professional high performance program and getting Argentina into the Tri Nations.

Ireland/Scotland-

United States / Canada -

Russia - Russia have already said they will bid to host the 2023 tournament.

Italy- If the World Cup does go back to Europe - the biggest treat to Italy is of course Ireland/Scotland joint bid and Russia.

South Africa - It's been a while since Africa had a Rugby World Cup, still have great stadiums from SA Soccer World Cup 2010.

Australia- Why wouldn't they want it?
If Union is to expand then it must do so primarily in NA, have the competition in USA/Canada and you'll see the participation and interest there grow massively.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Why not give the worst ranked team in the world Finland it we sure could use to boost rugby here

Old
07-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
If Union is to expand then it must do so primarily in NA, have the competition in USA/Canada and you'll see the participation and interest there grow massively.
I'd like to see Canada go at it on our own but the only way the IRB might go for it is if the U.S. is involved (and more than likely the main host with the token Canadian group rather than the other way around) but a guy can dream.

I really don't know why Ireland doesn't go at it on their own. If New Zealand can host it then Ireland certainly can, especially with access to GAA stadiums (which they should get if Croke Park was allowed to have 'God Save the Queen' be played before England took the field in a rugby game):

A Dublin group: Croke Park, Lansdowne (I'm sorry, "Aviva") and the RDS.
An Ulster group: Ravenhill, Clones, Casement Park
Munster Group 1: Thurles, Cork's GAA stadium, Musgrave
Limerick/Galway: Thomond Park, Limerick GAA grounds, Pearse Stadium

QFs: Thomond Park, Lansdowne, Croker, Ravenhill
SFs/3rd place: Lansdowne

Final: Croker

If Scotland is involved it becomes a bit easier, give Scotland one group and then have Thomond, Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Pearse host a group so you have Limerick, Cork and Galway each getting a game. I figure 'Aviva' would have to get some pretty high profile games to justify the cost of the thing. You can't have your national stadium not be used for the sport it was (re-)built for but you also can't pass up the chance to show off Croke Park to the world for the final.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

There's no words to describe the run Barba is on at the moment.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Miss Ausguins
Needs moar Vodka

Was at the Cowboys v Tiggers game last night and I have no words to describe Matty Bowen at the moment, I loved his beast mode last night.

I even went to the game straight from work yesterday hehe.

It's going to be interesting against the Doggies this weekend.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Well I was at the Warriors/Knights game.

and that's really all I'd like to say about that

Old
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 50
First post in this area but here goes!

It's official: I really like rugby. Don't necessarily have a favorite team in the different leagues I've seen on SETANTA but, it's fast, furious and I LOVE that it doesn't have all the annoying commercial breaks American football has. So, do I continue not having a favorite team or any suggestions for who I should root for? Here's my favorite teams in other sports leagues if that helps explain who I root for: NHL: Nashville Predators NFL: Kansas City Chiefs MLB: Seattle Mariners NBA: Screw the NBA after the Sonics moved.

In general I root for underdogs. Willing to take suggestions for any of the leagues that SETANTA shows. As for national teams well, going to stick with the good ol' USA especially considering Rugby will return to the Olympics in 2016.

Oh I should mention I have bot SETANTA and Australia Broadcasting Network, so I get LOTS of Rugby, but as I'm still fairly new to it all don't really know who to root for.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
First post in this area but here goes!

It's official: I really like rugby. Don't necessarily have a favorite team in the different leagues I've seen on SETANTA but, it's fast, furious and I LOVE that it doesn't have all the annoying commercial breaks American football has. So, do I continue not having a favorite team or any suggestions for who I should root for? Here's my favorite teams in other sports leagues if that helps explain who I root for: NHL: Nashville Predators NFL: Kansas City Chiefs MLB: Seattle Mariners NBA: Screw the NBA after the Sonics moved.

In general I root for underdogs. Willing to take suggestions for any of the leagues that SETANTA shows. As for national teams well, going to stick with the good ol' USA especially considering Rugby will return to the Olympics in 2016.

Oh I should mention I have bot SETANTA and Australia Broadcasting Network, so I get LOTS of Rugby, but as I'm still fairly new to it all don't really know who to root for.
What leagues do they play on those networks over there? do they play league and union?

Rugby isn't returning to the Olympics in 2016, Rugby Sevens is coming to the Olympics. Very, very different. USA actually hosts a leg of the Rugby Sevens circuit each year.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 50
Quote:
What leagues do they play on those networks over there? do they play league and union?

Rugby isn't returning to the Olympics in 2016, Rugby Sevens is coming to the Olympics. Very, very different. USA actually hosts a leg of the Rugby Sevens circuit each year.
As for Setanta: http://www.setanta.com/asia/Our-Sports/

And ABC shows Aussie Rules.

As for the Olympics my bad. I really like Rugby Sevens though.

Closed Thread