Notices

So yeah...where will we draft after getting swept

Old
04-17-2007, 12:55 AM
chaachie12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
My guess is since we are the first team eliminated we will most likely get #15 overall. Because we will most likely be the first to be eliminated and i don't see another team being able to choose #15 if we get eliminated out as the first team

I would imagine they will re-rank after all the teams in round 1 lose. I don't think they will determine it based on who get's swept vs. who goes 7. If you purely go by who is leading in the current series (real scientific I know). It would shake down like this:

Pick 1-14 go to non-playoff teams.

15. NY Islanders (down 2-0 to Buffalo)
16. Calgary Flames (down 2-0 to Detroit)
17. Atlanta Thrashers (down 2-0 to NYR)
18. Minnesota Wild (down 3-0 to...well, we know)
19. Pittsburgh Penguins (down 2-1 to Ottawa)
20. New Jersey Devils (down 2-1 to Tampa)
21. Dallas Stars (down 2-1 to Vancouver)
22. Nashville Predators (down 2-1 to San Jose)

So, this is not exact, and could be wrong now, and almost definitely will be wrong soon. As of now, it appears that we would be picking 18.

chaachie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
chaachie12

if we are picking 18, I think that puts a good d-man prospect right in our wheelhouse. McKeens has Petrecki listed as #18 prospect for the draft. I know others would love this, as would I. He would help add some of that toughness we seem to be lacking.

chaachie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:01 AM
AgentNaslund*

if you and Calgary both get sweeped you guys will draft one ahead of them. My guess is 17.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
This pretty much sums it up. The Ducks are a superior team, plain and simple. They can play any type of game. You want to run and gun - they will outrun you and outgun you. You want to trap - they will outtrap you. You want to crash and bang - they will outbang you. I see no weakness on that team that can be exposed, it's soooo frustrating.
If Vancouver manages to somehow beat Dallas, and Calgary doesn't beat Detroit we would be playing Anaheim in the 2nd round. Seeing what I thought was one of the best teams in the league (Minnesota) down 3-0 doesn't exactly give me any hope Vancouver would even have a chance if they get there though.
One of only ways I could see Vancouver or any team beating Anaheim is if they get significantly better goaltending. But looking at the two potential starters they have .. it seems like a task that will much easier be said than done.
The only other is one of their top 2 d-men or important forwards could go down with an injury..

Either way, good luck extending the series, the Wild team I saw against Vancouver this season deserves better than a 4 game sweep.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:44 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
The Ducks are a skilled team, maybe better, but that is not an excuse to not win one game.

I can't believe some of you Wild fans are just giving up and saying they are better and overpowered us! Your lack of effort to defend this team is appauling!

Anywayz, one thing i think we should change is that stupid dump-and-chase tactic. You can't do that with Pronger and Scott there cause they will simply get it first...
I agree on the dump and chase, but I'm not sure what else they could do. The Ducks sat back most of that game and set up in the neutral zone and shut us down whenever we tried to skate through them. Seems to me the dump part was working fairly well, but the chase sure wasn't. We weren't moving the puck up fast enough, so our forwards were stuck standing still in the neutral zone and couldn't carry enough speed into their zone to effectively chase. I'm guessing Lemaire knows exactly why things weren't working as they could. I'm not a hockey mind by any stretch, but I think we should've brought one forward back close to or into our zone to provide some puck support. Then the weak side D man could push up a bit more. The two forwards playing up wouldn't stand still, but would generate some east-west momentum and look for the pass to tip into the zone so they could carry some speed in for the chase. Seems good to me at the time anyway. Probably wouldn't work.

Oh, and Russo's blog post about Monday's practice is not encouraging:
Quote:
Wild players were clearly down in the dumps at today’s practice. As far as sharpness, it’s the worst I’ve seen them all season, which doesn’t bode well for tomorrow.
As for drafting I was just assuming we'd be roughly 20th when we went in. Didn't realize things would depend on playoff performance though. I'm always BPA, but if a defenseman is the BPA I'm happier, I think.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

19th

Assuming that the Wild lose this series and Calgary, NYR, NYI, and/or Tampa Bay do not advance to the conference finals. For each of the above four teams that does advance to the conference finals your draft position will drop by one with a minimum of 16th possible.

Bob McKenzie explains it all here

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?ID=200073

Last edited by Frank the Tank: 04-17-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add link
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 04:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

ISS Top 30 for April

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9559

I know round 1 is bpa, but Petrecki, Hickey, and Shattenkirk do it for me.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

what i don't get is if were the first one's eliminated from the playoffs how the heck do we automatically get the 17th-18 position. Does it go with that the team that is first eliminated gets the #15 pick

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
what i don't get is if were the first one's eliminated from the playoffs how the heck do we automatically get the 17th-18 position. Does it go with that the team that is first eliminated gets the #15 pick
I believe it has to do with the round you are eliminated in, and where you finished in the regular season.

So, let's say hypothetically that you and Calgary are swept. Calgary finished one spot below you in the regular season, so I believe that they would pick before you.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
chriss_co

its based on regular season final standings except for the final 4 teams who will get the last 4 picks

so we still pick before you guys.. barring some sort of miracle of course

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote