HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Arnott

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2004, 07:46 AM
pepchew

vCash: 500
Jason Arnott

There is some speculation that Jason Arnott may not be qualified (at around 3.9 million) by Dallas, rendering him a free agent. He's a big strong centre (6'3", 225) who can score, set up goals, hit, and is defensively responsible. He always seems to bring out the best in his wingers while scoring 50 to 60 points himself. He has won a cup and was even awarded the Conn smyth. He's still only 29.

The strikes against him are that he can be a little inconsistent and that he has been known to demonstrate at bit of an attitude (I think this has improved some with maturity).

If he's not qualified, does anyone think Gainey should look into signing him? Anyone have the inside scoop on how true some of the rumours surrounding his disposition are?

From a hockey standpoint I think he would be a great addition to the habs (especially at 3 million or less). If Gainey could manage to sign both Arnott and Kovalev, a lot of the questions about The Habs' size would disappear, not to mention the potential increase in production.

Old
06-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
If we sign him, it cant be more than 2 mill, because Koivu and Ribs have their names glued all over top two C spots. Arnot would make a great third liner, but why would he settle for less money and play on the third line, when he could probably go somewhere else and be a top two C, and get paid more. If we sign any one it will be a top 6 forward (winger) and a cheaper (1-2mill) third or fourth line player imo.

Old
06-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Marksman

Dont believe those rumours.

Why would Stars let Arnott walk? He is a bargain for them at that price, compared to Turgeon Young and few others. I find it very hard to believe they start axing with their best player who happens to be reasonably paid.

Old
06-13-2004, 12:46 PM
growne

I would MUCH rather have Arnott as my 2nd centre than Ribeiro. With Ryder and perhaps Hossa, they'd make a trio strong on their skates who can cause some trouble in front of the net. I don't know what we'd do with Ribeiro, maybe trade him for some picks or a defenseman.

Old
06-13-2004, 01:09 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growne
I would MUCH rather have Arnott as my 2nd centre than Ribeiro. With Ryder and perhaps Hossa, they'd make a trio strong on their skates who can cause some trouble in front of the net. I don't know what we'd do with Ribeiro, maybe trade him for some picks or a defenseman.
The grass is always greener elsewhere.

Old
06-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
It's kind of hard to trade Ribeiro now. He can be a better player, an equal player, or a worst player then now. If he become better or stay equal, he will stay a good player and his value will become higher then ever. If not, well, too bad...

Old
06-13-2004, 05:02 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
When did he actually won the conn smythe ?

Old
06-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, if the scenario we're talking about is Arnott not being qualified and becoming an unrestricted FA... then there's nothing saying Ribeiro has to go anywhere. For me, and I know this has been tried often enough before, I still like the idea of Arnott as a winger somewhat more than Arnott as a centre. Sooooo... an Arnott-Ribeiro-Ryder line could be even better than having Hossa there. If the price is right.

Old
06-14-2004, 01:21 AM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
When did he actually won the conn smythe ?
My mistake. I was sure I remembered him winning it in 2000, but it was actually Stevens who won it. I think there was a bunch of talk about him being a likely candidate (He had that big winning goal and he tied Elias for the most points on the team). That must have been what I remembered. Sorry.

Old
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
If we sign him, it cant be more than 2 mill, because Koivu and Ribs have their names glued all over top two C spots. Arnot would make a great third liner, but why would he settle for less money and play on the third line, when he could probably go somewhere else and be a top two C, and get paid more. If we sign any one it will be a top 6 forward (winger) and a cheaper (1-2mill) third or fourth line player imo.

Since when did Ribs had his name glued to top 2 line?

Closed Thread