HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Carey Price wins Pro Debut

Old
04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 500
Carey Price wins Pro Debut

Price started tonight for Hamilton against Grand Rapids and apparently played flawlessly...was first star as well!

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1003270

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Qui Gon Dave

He played a great game. The only goal that beat him was a redirected pass from just outside the crease. He barely struggled with the puck at all tonight. Almost every single shot he faced he managed to hold onto and the Griffins were looking to bump him whenever they could. They tripped him once in his crease wthout a call and after a number of his saves they tried pushing him around (luckily the Dogs D is big and sometimes has a bit of a temper) but he took it all in his stride. He even made a couple of big saves and showed how quick his glove hand can be. He looked calm all night and got the job done.

I'd heard a lot about him before tonight but never seen him in action, but he just made a new fan tonight. I'm impressed. If that's him as a kid with plenty of room for improvement and development, god help the rest of the NHL if he reaches anywhere near his potential. Size, calmness, positioning, quick movements, good glove, good stick and the ability to make the big saves. He wasn't tested to his limits (the way the Dogs sometimes play at the back, that will happen in time) but for his first game, two thumbs up from me and a round of applause

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
He played a great game. The only goal that beat him was a redirected pass from just outside the crease. He barely struggled with the puck at all tonight. Almost every single shot he faced he managed to hold onto and the Griffins were looking to bump him whenever they could. They tripped him once in his crease wthout a call and after a number of his saves they tried pushing him around (luckily the Dogs D is big and sometimes has a bit of a temper) but he took it all in his stride. He even made a couple of big saves and showed how quick his glove hand can be. He looked calm all night and got the job done.

I'd heard a lot about him before tonight but never seen him in action, but he just made a new fan tonight. I'm impressed. If that's him as a kid with plenty of room for improvement and development, god help the rest of the NHL if he reaches anywhere near his potential. Size, calmness, positioning, quick movements, good glove, good stick and the ability to make the big saves. He wasn't tested to his limits (the way the Dogs sometimes play at the back, that will happen in time) but for his first game, two thumbs up from me and a round of applause
Is there any aspect of his game that he has to work on at all? like a certain thing missing to be better? Whatever the outcome he's sure worth the gamble we took drafting him 5th overall back in 05

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
Is there any aspect of his game that he has to work on at all? like a certain thing missing to be better? Whatever the outcome he's sure worth the gamble we took drafting him 5th overall back in 05
No assumptions until I hear 'Stanley Cup champion Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens'.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
I remember lots of Hab fans being unhappy with that pick during the draft.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:14 AM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
Price started tonight for Hamilton against Grand Rapids and apparently played flawlessly...was first star as well!

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1003270
Price > Crosby

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
Price > Crosby
....That was an useless comments.

Good for Price, I just hope he can make the Dogs win the Calder Cup.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
....That was an useless comments.

Good for Price, I just hope he can make the Dogs win the Calder Cup.
Agreed, pretty pointless to post things people already know.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:

What about his puck handling ?
I think this is one of his strenght !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
You're absolutely right. Most habs fans (including myself) were stunned that we did not jump at the chance of drafting Gilbert Brule after he felloff the top 4. In the long run, it might be a gamble that'll pay off.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Lucky you!! How did you catch the game? Sportsnet? Just curious...

And, like someone else asked...how was his puckhandling? Thanks in advance.

Go Price Go!!

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

And, like someone else asked...how was his puckhandling? Thanks in advance.

Go Price Go!!
price>>>turco

kidding kidding kidding. sorry

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Bearing in mind that I have only seen him play one game in his entire career, he seems to have pretty good skills all round. On the back of just the game last night, there wasn't any aspect of his play that made me think that he is going to have to concentrate and work hard on that area before advancing to the NHL. I suspect that it is more a matter of gaining experience and should any issue in his game arise, he will then address it. But he didn't show a weakness last night. Rollie Melanson (Habs goalie coach for those that don't know) was interviewed during the 1st intermission and said something along the line of 'he is NHL ready now but we are going to keep him in the minors for a while to gain experience and to help him adapt to the changes in the game at a higher level'. Rollie is very high on this kid and in just the game last night, I was able to see why. Great potential in Price, I hope he keeps improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Yep, puck handling is a strength of his. He was leaving the net often to pick the puck up behind his net and can play it nicely. As I said in the Hamilton/Cincinnati sticky on the Habs board, there were a couple of occassions when he played the puck where I thought he could have made a better decision where to play it, but it was his first game with a team. He isn't used to his teammates and they aren't used to him. It's not like he was giving the puck away in those situations either, he just played it round the boards where an opponent could try and battle a Hamilton player for the puck instead of making a pass to a teammate, which appeared to me at least, to be in a better position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I don't think Sportsnet is available over here even with satellite or digital TV. I watched it via B2, online.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
I admit I was in the "Pick Brule" camp, but I have now totally reversed my stance, the Price pick is turning out great. Congratulations to him, hopefully the beginning of a long pro career!

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:49 PM
V-2 Schneider

Price is the best young stud G prospect since Luongo was drafted 10 yrs ago, and it's not premature to look for similarities between his game and that of Luongo, or even Brodeur.He was great pick on draft day, and he is developing just like Melanson and Timmins expected.If it was any other organization, hockey writers would say that Price is the best pro prospect around.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 03:50 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
What would they know? They can be lead around by the nose.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Those who are being annoying ***** and stereotyping Hab fans by saying he is better than Crosby and Turco should shut their mouths. He is a good goalie and an upcoming star, just because a thread was made about his first pro win doesnt mean we are saying he deserves to be picked ahead of Crosby or be the starter for Dallas. Hab fans are excited and it is unfair to say these comments.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
His puck handling is one of his better assets, very very good with the puck. He played a really good game, will be interesting if he can take over the starting job in the playoffs next week against Rochester.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
We were confused at the time of the pick, at least I was. Lots has changed since then.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
BritSabre

I hate that pick...this guy's gona play against us 8 times a year

Great news for the Habs that this guy's working out. The goalie Gods smile upon Montreal - turning Huet from back-up to starter and now with Halak and Price

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
Price > Crosby
Well, as a goalie yeah sure.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:27 PM
henri2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller#30 View Post
I hate that pick...this guy's gona play against us 8 times a year

Great news for the Habs that this guy's working out. The goalie Gods smile upon Montreal - turning Huet from back-up to starter and now with Halak and Price
Now if we can start getting something else then goalies in mtl...

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri2014 View Post
Now if we can start getting something else then goalies in mtl...
seriously, goaltending hasn't really been the problem for us...offence and inconsistent defence is...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Carey Price UPDATE!! :

Price saved 29 our of 31 shots...in a 2-1 loss to Rochester (last game of the season).
Price was the 3rd STAR in this game...

(I'm 99% sure! I checked quickly!) Playoffs start April 19, 2007 VS Rochester

Go Bulldogs Go!!
Go Price Go!!

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 04:02 AM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Well, as a goalie yeah sure.
finally someone got the joke. to the guy with no sense of humor that called my comment "pretty useless" I can only respond in emoticon fashion:
lighten up

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote