HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Semin sent home

Old
04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikSav View Post
They definitely didn't leave the same day according to the person I know, and that person is actually closer to Ovechkin than Semin. That said I agree with you that Krasnoyarsk is much easier to get to (with direct flights) than having to fly from the States and make connections, etc. which is what I meant by him being in Russia (and not knowing why he couldn't get back to Moscow). I should qualify by saying that what I've heard is definitely heresay but the person is pretty darn close to the two of them.
Well that clarification helps in my understanding of your earlier post, because as you can tell from my posts that is not how I understood your comments. (although it doesn't change any of my earlier comments either)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
txpd

I don't really care. This is russian politics for all I know. I will only say that it would be nice if there was the occasional report on Semin that showed good character traits rather than the steady trickle of bad character trait reports.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Siberian

Quote:
They definitely didn't leave the same day according to the person I know, and that person is actually closer to Ovechkin than Semin.
Well I guess either your "person" or Ovechkin is lying. http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?137279

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
StikSav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Well I guess either your "person" or Ovechkin is lying. http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?137279
Unfortunately I can't read Russian, so I have no idea what that says. However I would tend to believe the person I know over a Russian media report. In any event its probably a silly thing for me to be arguing about so I'll stop now.

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Den

Quote:
What's so odd about this is he is in Russia so I am puzzled as to why he didn't show up. He left the US to return home before Ovechkin did. I have a feeling there is much more to this story that we have yet to hear.
Apparently he flew to Krasnoyarsk which is thousands if miles away and messed up with his ticket or something.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 07:43 AM
txpd

Does this mean that he can not communicate in Russian either?

Old
04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Den

Well, there are some details now, not in Semin's favor: Nemchinov (GM) called him, said the camp is rescheduled for a slightly later time. Semin said he's flight is arriving 3.5 hours after this new time. Nemchinov goes: Why, you knew you have to be here even earlier than that. Semin goes: I didn't know (). Nemchinov: Change your ticket. End of conversation. Semin calls from the airport 4 hours after the start of the camp, says he is coming right now. He is told not to bother.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:40 AM
sk84fun_dc

update from Caps staff writer Mike Vogel (on his blog)

Link to story

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

Link to story
I'm waiting for the Fay article.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:55 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Does this mean that he can not communicate in Russian either?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

Link to story

Hmm...so he can't follow simple instructions in Russian either...seriously he needs to start acting like a professional.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Hmm...so he can't follow simple instructions in Russian either...seriously he needs to start acting like a professional.
How was your class/workplace attendance when you were 23?

Mine was pretty bad, but I've grown out of that.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar View Post
Almost perfect, and I was certainly capable of getting to any given city on the day required. Ovechkin, who is 2 years younger than Semin, seems to have made it to Moscow on time.

I'm generally a Semin supporter, but the more these things come up the more worried I get about his future with the Caps. If Washington ever goes to a more hard-line coach, it's going to be a big problem.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
atnight

From an American cultural perspective, it doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime, but any team can devise its own guidelines. Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that the Russian team is run so militarily.

Right now, the 'fault' seems to weigh on Semin, but as we know from the complications of obtaining him for '05-'06, the Malkin 'defection', and the snubbing of the IIHF, the Russian situation with ice hockey seems to be overshadowed with cultural, fiscal and political issues that have little to do with the game.

I'm inclined to believe there are extenuating circumstances and general evidence in all these situations that are only known to those involved and won't likely be revealed. Other countries' media don't have the same investigative privileges as those in the U.S., and this is not football, basketball or nascar we're talkin about...

atnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Almost perfect, and I was certainly capable of getting to any given city on the day required. Ovechkin, who is 2 years younger than Semin, seems to have made it to Moscow on time.

I'm generally a Semin supporter, but the more these things come up the more worried I get about his future with the Caps. If Washington ever goes to a more hard-line coach, it's going to be a big problem.
Maybe I have a higher tolerance for this crap because I'm a football fan. As long as it's not affecting your teammates (this affects his Russian teammates, but I don't really care about them) and your community standing, I'll let it go.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Mine was pretty bad, but I've grown out of that.

Crappy but then again I wasn't getting paid $millions and didn't have people handholding me either.

This isn't the end of the world, but it certainly adds to the ever growing legend of Semin.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Maybe I have a higher tolerance for this crap because I'm a football fan. As long as it's not affecting your teammates (this affects his Russian teammates, but I don't really care about them) and your community standing, I'll let it go.
That's fair, and Semin did a lot of good for the Caps this year. His positives outweighed his negatives by about 10-1 IMO. The problem is that guys with attitude/motivation problems at 23 tend to continue to have those problems throughout their career, across all sports.

I'm not advocating trading him or anything, but I think we haven't seen the last major conflict between Semin and the Caps.

I do think AO is a great influence on him. Thank God for #8.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I believe Semin has a bit of a feckless personality but he did ok this season at least with the caps. Bit of a harsh response by their national coach but could be a cultural difference. I'm sure the coach will use this as a motivation tool for his players.

04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I believe Semin has a bit of a feckless personality but he did ok this season at least with the caps. Bit of a harsh response by their national coach but could be a cultural difference. I'm sure the coach will use this as a motivation tool for his players.
I just hope it doesn't get Nemchinov fired and give Semin a taste for...Coach Killing.

Old
04-17-2007, 01:28 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
I'm waiting for the Fay article.
Fay is currently stalled in a seedy Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia bar, attempting to parlay his wi-fi data card and 2 Caps 400's passes to a yak farmer for a wagon ride to Krasnoyarsk. Story developing...

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Its not effecting any teammate except Ovechkin, but that could have lingering effects. Not long ago Semin picked up the puck and threw it, took the worst kind of penalty that led to the game losing goal. That resulted in a closed door players meeting where Kolzig and possibly others cleared out Semin's sinuses in any language they could attempt. That resulted in the now famous Ovechkin tantrum.

Now Semin gets kicked off the Russian National team for whatever reason(military commitment maybe?) and that leaves Ovechkin standing there holding the bag.

I am not sure that it has no effect on his teammates. Stuff like this doesn't exactly build trust among your mates.

Old
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Its not effecting any teammate except Ovechkin, but that could have lingering effects. Not long ago Semin picked up the puck and threw it, took the worst kind of penalty that led to the game losing goal. That resulted in a closed door players meeting where Kolzig and possibly others cleared out Semin's sinuses in any language they could attempt. That resulted in the now famous Ovechkin tantrum.

Now Semin gets kicked off the Russian National team for whatever reason(military commitment maybe?) and that leaves Ovechkin standing there holding the bag.

I am not sure that it has no effect on his teammates. Stuff like this doesn't exactly build trust among your mates.

While I dont disagree with this I find it funny that you add the military comment....now that the door is open I will ask you, are you just mad you (and Fay) were wrong on the issue of "Semin will not play for the Capitals again". As I recall you were very much in the "I dont expect to see him in a Caps sweater again" camp

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
AO lives in Moscow, Semin lives in Krasnoyarsk.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I thnk it's more like Bykov wants to show who is the boss. He may be a younger (new wave) coach, but I still can see "old school" (system) in him. I am sure he won't be letting players play their shifts by the stop watch, but it seems to me like he treats players the same way old coaches in old system did. I don't see what's the big deal with Semin being few hours late for a camp for a tournament that starts in almost 2 weeks. The guy went to his home town (which is God knows where) to see his family, then comes to Moscow and he is few hours late, big deal. Then he's told not to bother to come to the camp. And for what, for being few hrs late for a stupid camp? Those of u who talk about work ethics, why don't u leave your family for like a year and then talk about how unprofessional Semin is. And let's not forget, team Russia is not his employer!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I thnk it's more like Bykov wants to show who is the boss. He may be a younger (new wave) coach, but I still can see "old school" (system) in him. I am sure he won't be letting players play their shifts by the stop watch, but it seems to me like he treats players the same way old coaches in old system did. I don't see what's the big deal with Semin being few hours late for a camp for a tournament that starts in almost 2 weeks. The guy went to his home town (which is God knows where) to see his family, then comes to Moscow and he is few hours late, big deal. Then he's told not to bother to come to the camp. And for what, for being few hrs late for a stupid camp? Those of u who talk about work ethics, why don't u leave your family for like a year and then talk about how unprofessional Semin is. And let's not forget, team Russia is not his employer!

the Semin haters cannot be swayed - this is the battle that has gone on throughout history & time, and will never end...

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote