HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semin sent home

Old
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Den

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I thnk it's more like Bykov wants to show who is the boss. He may be a younger (new wave) coach, but I still can see "old school" (system) in him. I am sure he won't be letting players play their shifts by the stop watch, but it seems to me like he treats players the same way old coaches in old system did. I don't see what's the big deal with Semin being few hours late for a camp for a tournament that starts in almost 2 weeks. The guy went to his home town (which is God knows where) to see his family, then comes to Moscow and he is few hours late, big deal. Then he's told not to bother to come to the camp. And for what, for being few hrs late for a stupid camp? Those of u who talk about work ethics, why don't u leave your family for like a year and then talk about how unprofessional Semin is. And let's not forget, team Russia is not his employer!
I would not boot him in this situation. But it looks like Nemchinov made it perfectly clear to him that he has to be in Moscow on time, and he ignored that request, and countered by "I didn't know". Looks like this is what pissed them off.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Well at least we know what his employer thinks...

Quote:
Let No Good Deed Go Unpunished
I feel sorry for Alex Semin, who was very much looking forward to playing for his mother country in the world championships. To be asked to leave the team after arriving late on the same day, having communicated his travel plans and then flying five hours to get to the team meeting seems a bit severe as punishment. These players are volunteers. They don't get paid NHL wages to play. They risk injury. They play for the love of the game and for their country. Let no good deed go unpunished.
-Ted's Take

As other's have said, I could care less. But it is another data point and withdrawl from the "emotional bank account"... god I hated TQM.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Devil Dancer

Sorry if this has already been posted, but here's Tarik's update on the situation:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit....html#comments

Semin had purchased a ticket for a flight that landed in Moscow at 7:30 p.m. yesterday. The Russian team's first meeting was at 4.

Semin was made aware of the schedule last month and was told Sunday by assistant coach Sergei Nemchinov that arriving late was not acceptable. But Semin chose not to switch to an earlier flight from his hometown of Krasjonarsk. He called Nemchinov when his flight landed, but the decision to cut him from the team had already been made.

He's getting all of this from the Russian media, but I appreciated the translation from TB.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:27 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Still seem incredibly aggressive response though. Maybe they didn't want him in the first place. Think they would have done this to AO if he had done this?

04-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Still seem incredibly aggressive response though. Maybe they didn't want him in the first place. Think they would have done this to AO if he had done this?
no chance

i wonder if some of this stems back to him coming back over to the states this season... perhaps he was earmarked as one of the "stars" to stay in his native land to play, and him leaving just put a burr in their collective (but not communist) sides?

...or the coach is just trying to get the reins of his team and get their attention... prolly worked.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
The Viking Fury

As far as I know, the players arent getting paid to do this tourney so its not like he's collecting a paycheck to sit on his ass in Krasnyorsk.

As long as he shows up on time to the Caps camp in September this is a worthless gossip piece.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

well... Semin's been booted off (and then let back on) a Russian National Team in the Past before.

So the friction with coaches is there...

I just think a lot of it is a bit of a misunderstanding on both sides. The Russian coaches of late are on the, we don't really care about the NHL'ers (partially because so many have not cared in the past) and even less about the young phenoms. Ovechkin is a different case entirely. He is Russian hockey's golden boy (him or Malkin at this point) and his strong desire to play is going to get him on the team. They'll bend over a bit for him. But Semin, he's not seen as an elite talent there

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:03 AM
EroCaps

For what it's worth, the Russians are notoriously terrible at team management and coaching. A LOT of politics and favoritism.

They have the players to win tourneys and don't for this reason primarily, imo.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Taranis_24

Send a message via MSN to Taranis_24
So if Malken and the Pens are booted in the 1st round do you think Malkin will asked to join team Russia? If so, then you can conclude the coaches probably didn't want Semin on the team in the first place.

Taranis_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
It obvious that reporting on time was not a priority for Semin. Maybe he really didnt want to play but choose not to tell anyone. It would not surprise me if he was worn down from the long NHL season, something I doubt he would admit to anyone. I personally think he may have been concussed by Ovey in the second to the last game, and he came back in the last game and showed wasnt his usual self. He maybe realized that he needed more time off. This is all mere speculation on my part. It was reported as a foot injury which Ovey laughed at, which also broke their own team policy regarding injury disclosure. It just smelled fishy to me at the time and now this - it fits.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:59 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
I would not boot him in this situation. But it looks like Nemchinov made it perfectly clear to him that he has to be in Moscow on time, and he ignored that request, and countered by "I didn't know". Looks like this is what pissed them off.
Ok, let's assume that was the case. Ok, he missed the "deadline" by few hrs. Now let's assume after tonight's game Atlanta is out of playoffs and they invite IK17. Wouldn't he be late for the camp by like a week?

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:11 AM
CCCP

Here is what Semin and his father had ot say about this:
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?137593
I'll post the transaltion very soon.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Here is what Semin and his father had ot say about this:
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?137593
I'll post the transaltion very soon.
Translation:

Event's that took place in chronological order:

April 10th. Washington-New-York (together with his mom)
April 11th. New-York-Moscow (with mom)
April 12th. Moscow-Krasnoyarsk (with mom)

April 14th. Semin tries to contact Sergei Nemchinov, he asks his agent Marc Gardner to help him with that. Nemchinov calls him back and tells him that he has to be in Novogorsk on april 16th at 4p.m. But the problem is that the player can't get a ticket for the morning flight to Moscow.

April 16th. Krasnoyarsk-Moscow. Semin takes the 7:30p.m. Krasnoyarsk time (3:30p.m. Moscow time) flight to Moscow.

Valeri Alekseevich, player's father:

My son warned the coaches in advance about the time he'll come to the camp. His flight landed in Domodedovo (one of the airports in Moscow) about 8:30p.m. He called Ovechkin form the airport. AO said that Sergei Nemchinov is waiting for his phone call. When Sasha called Nemchinov, Nemchinov iright away gave the phone to Vyacheslav Bykov. The head coach told my son that he has been kicked of the team because he was not present at the evening's practice and that Team Russia is no longer interested in his services. After that, Aleksandr bought a ticket and next morning flew back to Krasnoyarsk.

Semin's response to Aleksandr Shapiro (SE writer) was pretty short:

Shapiro: Why didn't u make it to the camp on time?

Semin: I wouldn't want to comment on this situation.

Shapiro: What do u think about coaches' decision.

Semin: Coach has the right to decide who he needs on the team and who he does not need.

Shapiro: Aren't u surprised that u, the 3rd russian sniper in the NHL was left behind the board of team Russia?

Semin: I wanted to play at the WC very much! I came to Moscow on the day I was told, but I couldn't make it to Novogorsk in time for the start of the camp because of the problems with tickets. I'll repeat again: Coach has the right to decide who to take and who not to take.

Shapiro: After this incedent will u come to (play for) team Russia?

Semin: No comments.

Last edited by CCCP: 04-18-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old
04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Devil Dancer

Regardless of who was at fault, Semin said all the right things in that interview.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Thanks for the translation, CCCP.

Considering some of the things that have happened in the past with Semin and the powers at be behind the russian national teams that he isn't well liked.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
StikSav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Regardless of who was at fault, Semin said all the right things in that interview.
Absolutely, I agree and am very glad he handled it like this. Given the situation his handling of his comments shows me some maturity.

Also the timeline does jibe with my understanding of his schedule, US to Moscow for a short stop, on to Krasnoyarsk and back to Moscow. I am not 100% but I believe Ovechkin flew to Moscow on the 12th.

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Thanks for the translation, CCCP.
Anytime!

Old
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
CCCP

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=204661&hubname=nhl

"Gandler said Semin then called him and said Nemchinov didn't sound pleased with the development, so Gandler called Tuzik and was told that as long as he arrived there that evening, it would be fine."

"This is ridiculous," Gandler said. "I haven't heard from anyone in the two years since Nemchinov took this job. Don't you think they should have sent him a letter with plane tickets or an itinerary? This is just bizarre."

Old
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
The Viking Fury

I thought Pavel Bure was the GM of Russia anyways...?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Slippy

From the same story, Does anyone else find something wrong with the quote from his agent:

Gandler said. "Alexander did nothing wrong, but even if he had, the punishment doesn't fit the crime."

I find it strange when people claim innocence, and then complain about the punishment for the "crime".

It should be, "Alexander did nothing wrong. He should not be punished."

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Volsus

it wouldn't be the off-season without some Semin related drama

This seems to be progressing in chapters, I wonder if more pages will be written? ****** for Team Russian and for Semin though, that's for sure.

Volsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

As long as he's here for camp next season....I don't care.
Yep...No big deal.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Hashmark

His agent's comments come off to me as "He didn't MEAN to do anything wrong, and if he did it was due to miscommunication and not really a big deal anyway."

I think someone's trying to make a name for himself by beating down the stars on the National team.. Maybe after watching Sutter shave the Canadian Juniors' heads!

Hashmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Interesting stuff....Ovechkin on Semin...

http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:31 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
I thought Pavel Bure was the GM of Russia anyways...?
He had a contract just for the Olympics.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote