HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The NEW Official MMA Thread - Continued

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Clash*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I agree that he should be punished just not so severely. What really pisses me off and what I was referring to with that comment is the people on some of the forums claiming Diaz's win wasn't legit because he had weed in his system which is ludicrous. Pot is not performence enhancing especially when you smoke it a week before the fight. Diaz proved he was the better fighter on that night.
First off, I'm not taking away anything from Diaz, as a fighter. But even if he was high and made an intense pain into a marginal pain by being under the influence, it then becomes performance enhancing. I've done a lot of reading on this, especially recently, due to both parents having cancer, a brother with cancer, and a much longer history of cancer in the family. As many as are here saying there was no way he was stoned, not everyone is getting high to be a vegetable on a couch. There is no way anyone on this board, short of personally knowing Diaz, can say the man WAS NOT high.

Old
04-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Transported Upstater

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=311483

Link to previous thread, that had to be closed because of size.

Old
04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
What do you mean? If it was on Sherdog that's one thing but I doubt anyone was going to order Bodog anyways. If its PRIDE or UFC that's one thing I wouldn't want to be spoiled about the results but the smaller shows I don't really care.
If you're going to post Spoilers just have a little more commen sense then that, I don't think it should be a big issue. You knew it was an issue by saying at the end "hope I didn't ruin it for anyone" just be smarter next time. The show isn't being shown in Canada until this weekend, and if someone was avoiding Sherdog or whatever then the least you could do is just put a big spoiler alert at the top of your post.. instead of at the bottom. Is it really that difficult?

Old
04-17-2007, 09:01 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

UFC 72 is listed as an international event on UFC.com.. which means it may also be free on SpikeTV.

Franklin vs Kammpman
Forrest Griffen vs Hector Ramirez
Tyson Griffen vs Clay Guida
Eddie Sanchez vs Colin Robinson.

Far from being a even good card, but also far from being finished. UFC 70 card this weekend has ten fights, so UFC 72 still has alot to be added. The debut of big Nog and the return of Vera could be great.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:49 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
First off, I'm not taking away anything from Diaz, as a fighter. But even if he was high and made an intense pain into a marginal pain by being under the influence, it then becomes performance enhancing. I've done a lot of reading on this, especially recently, due to both parents having cancer, a brother with cancer, and a much longer history of cancer in the family. As many as are here saying there was no way he was stoned, not everyone is getting high to be a vegetable on a couch. There is no way anyone on this board, short of personally knowing Diaz, can say the man WAS NOT high.
He would've had to smoke a very large amount for that to happen and even then I doubt it would help a broken orbital bone much if at all. I read that the level of THC Diaz tested positive for indicated he hadn't smoked it in over a week. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I'm pretty much convinced Diaz wasn't high during the fight. Seriously, why would he smoke weed right before a fight when he knew he might be tested.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If you're going to post Spoilers just have a little more commen sense then that, I don't think it should be a big issue. You knew it was an issue by saying at the end "hope I didn't ruin it for anyone" just be smarter next time. The show isn't being shown in Canada until this weekend, and if someone was avoiding Sherdog or whatever then the least you could do is just put a big spoiler alert at the top of your post.. instead of at the bottom. Is it really that difficult?
it was playing here in Canada last Saturday on Bell Express Vu PPV.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
BigE

Personally, I'd almost rather have 72 on PPV than Spike. I just get this feeling that we're going to see 4 fights and 15,000 commercials.

Old
04-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Anyone getting into IFL Battleground at all on Mondays?

Old
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

Just use the spoiler tags

See watch here's a spoiler

Spoil:
Crocop beats Gonzaga via LHK

Old
04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I tried, it just doesnt draw me in..

Not enough fighter name power (yet)

Old
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Personally, I'd almost rather have 72 on PPV than Spike. I just get this feeling that we're going to see 4 fights and 15,000 commercials.
Same here. Get together with some buddies and the PPV doesn't cost much for each person and you see more fights.

Old
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Good tidbits from the conference call today with Dana and Mirko

http://www.411mania.com/sports/other...rence-Call.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana White
"No hard feelings. I told him what was comin, he didn't want to listen. *laughs* I don't just say ***** and not have it happen."
Guess who he's talking about? Jerry Millen! Let's hope that means he got canned!

Old
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
I tried, it just doesnt draw me in..

Not enough fighter name power (yet)
Keep trying. Ben Rothwell, Benji Radach, and Chris Horodecki might be the three best fighters not under contract with the evil empire...or K-1.

Old
04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Keep trying. Ben Rothwell, Benji Radach, and Chris Horodecki might be the three best fighters not under contract with the evil empire...or K-1.
That whole first episode thing though..

"Someone is leaving on a stretcher"

etc etc.. It really left an mark.

I keep trying

Old
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

no UFC fighters in the LW GP accoring to Dana.

Old
04-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
That whole first episode thing though..

"Someone is leaving on a stretcher"

etc etc.. It really left an mark.

I keep trying
Ah yes, from what I heard that was pretty bad. I didn't catch that one, although I've heard that things have drastically changed since then. Bear with it; there's some hidden gems there.

Old
04-17-2007, 11:02 PM
BigE

I'm still a little confused about this whole HBO deal. To be honest, it doesn't really sound like Dana is too sure, either.

From what I can gather the UFC is planning on having three tiers of events: PPV, HBO, and Spike TV. PPV's would stay the same, including broadcast teams. HBO would use a set of HBO announcers and an HBO style broadcast while functioning as a 2nd tier event used to introduce new, up and coming superstars or recently signed talent. Finally, Spike TV programs would stay as is and include UFN, TUF, and all of the other Inside UFC content. The UFN and TUF shows would serve as feeder programs for both the HBO events and, of course, the PPV events.

Did anyone get the same impression?

From my original interpretation (a few months ago), I thought HBO was going to be used as the PPV platform. Is not the reason UFC 70 is on Spike, for free, because Dana thought a deal would have been in place with HBO and didn't bother booking a PPV slot?

No matter the outcome, it's going to be an interesting summer.

Old
04-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
He would've had to smoke a very large amount for that to happen and even then I doubt it would help a broken orbital bone much if at all. I read that the level of THC Diaz tested positive for indicated he hadn't smoked it in over a week. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I'm pretty much convinced Diaz wasn't high during the fight. Seriously, why would he smoke weed right before a fight when he knew he might be tested.
As I read it originally, and I thinks its posted and linked in the previous inception of this thread, Diaz failed his test with a level of 175, where its considered a lenient level of 50 for the NSAC to ban someone when a lot of people will fail at a 5 reading. So being 3 1/2 times the allowed level, I'd say it pretty much affected him. And as I said, it may have taken an excruciating pain and made into a somewhat bearable pain, plus with the adrenaline already pumping through his system, who really knows how it could have affected his pain level. ALSO, people have different pain thresholds. And these are men who have to live with pain to do their job, so I would venture to say his threshold is PROBABLY higher than the average member/reader of this thread.

Old
04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Clash*

Quote:
I try to watch it, but by the time wrestling or something else comes on, I find myself switching it off. And I look for a reason to not watch anything like WWE anymore. They rush through matches and don't tell a proper story of what goes on in the events. They REALLY need to get through telling the background story of the coaches and give highlite overviews of the fighters. Once they get through the foundation of the league, being the coaches, they should highlite the fights and tell a proper chronological story of how the matches go down, with intersparsed backgrounds of the individual fighters. With the IFL and MyNetworkTV both being in troubled financial situations, I hope they can get through this first season and evolve it from there. I'd rather watch a Friday night showing of the matches on Fox Sports Net than watch it on MNTV. They have a perfect chance of building interest in the individual fighters, but they're really wasting it concentrating on a certain few. There is some real talent that would be right there with many of the TUF fighters who get contracts with UFC.

Old
04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Well UFC 70 this weekend is on Spike, and they are saying atleast 5 fights like normal. I see no difference in the commercials and periods inbetween fights to be honest. I, like the vast majority of people, watch these thigns with a group of people, inbetween fights we are usually talking about what just happened or what is coming up, if it's a commercial between fights rather then Goldberg talking about his new hair cut, I don't give a crap.

UFC on HBO... well that is probably bad for UFC fans in Canada, as now all those "free" cards will now be PPV for us.. and not having Rogan commentate is a joke.

No UFC fighters in the GP.. dumb move.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

All of stuff from a UFC conference call yesterday.. knee's to the ground.. Nog's fights UFC fight.. Fedor's Pride contract..
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Much-More...ence-Call.html
Quote:
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was in limbo, so the UFC signed him. Basically he had no existing deal with PRIDE, so they decided to move him over to the UFC during the acquisition of PRIDE. Doesn't know who he will be fighting first in the UFC as he just signed him a week ago, but said Nogueira will be fighting a top draw. The rumors are Brandon Vera.
That would be awesome, might be one of the most looked forward to fights for me.

Quote:
Dana doesn't really have anything official on Fedor yet. His contract with PRIDE is not an exclusive deal and Zuffa does not deal with non-exclusive contracts with fighters. Fedor is not a free agent though and they will be working hard to keep him.
Quote:
The New Jersey State Athletic Commission is working hard to allow the use of knee strikes in MMA. Dana said that is one rule he would change and they want it added.
Great news, and it's good to see an atheltic commission is the one pushing hard not just Dana White. I've changed my stance a little on soccer kicks, but still against stomps.

Old
04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

More random stuff from TheFightNetwork.
http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=3660
It mostly goes more in-depth on Fedor's situation with Pride and then more random goodies.

Quote:
Double title-holder Dan Henderson – who captured his second consecutive belt from former PRIDE Middleweight (under 205 lbs) Champion Wanderlei Silva at Feb. 24’s PRIDE 34 – would not be stripped of either of his titles, said White. “We wouldn’t strip him [Henderson], but I have no idea how that would work out.” White had stated in a previous interview that Henderson would be considered a U.S. middleweight (under 185 pounds) in the future by the promotion
Quote:
White said he believed Wanderlei Silva had four fights left on his PRIDE contract, deflating rumors Silva was a free agent as well.
Quote:
White predicted he’d secure a major deal for PRIDE in both US and Japan within a year, reiterating he will control the building of PRIDE stateside.
Quote:
White stated PRIDE’s U.S. telecast would undergo changes, including its commentating staff. When asked, White said PRIDE commentator and fighter Frank Trigg would no longer appear on the telecast, and that American producer Jerry Millen’s fate with the new owners remained questionable. White said new talent is currently being sought after.
Thank god Trigg is gone as a commentator, he was brutal. I hope Mauro is given another shot at it.. though Bas won't be back as he is the IFL's guy now.

Quote:
Japanese PRIDE card rosters would be announced quicker than the one-week lead times the Japanese-run organization had been accustomed to.
Best news yet.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
I try to watch it, but by the time wrestling or something else comes on, I find myself switching it off. And I look for a reason to not watch anything like WWE anymore. They rush through matches and don't tell a proper story of what goes on in the events. They REALLY need to get through telling the background story of the coaches and give highlite overviews of the fighters. Once they get through the foundation of the league, being the coaches, they should highlite the fights and tell a proper chronological story of how the matches go down, with intersparsed backgrounds of the individual fighters. With the IFL and MyNetworkTV both being in troubled financial situations, I hope they can get through this first season and evolve it from there. I'd rather watch a Friday night showing of the matches on Fox Sports Net than watch it on MNTV. They have a perfect chance of building interest in the individual fighters, but they're really wasting it concentrating on a certain few. There is some real talent that would be right there with many of the TUF fighters who get contracts with UFC.
Yeah, I don't like how they skip through matches either. I think that highlighting the coaches is the way to go at first, to draw in audience. They have tried to focus a bit on the stories of some of the lesser known fighters, and I dig that thus far. It is an uphill battle for them, considering Ultimate Fighter had the benefit of mass exposure through the UFC PPVs already--so we'll see how things progress from here. I think they need to show the superfights as much as possible too.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Matt Lindland might have something to say about that.

I have seen a couple shows and I enjoyed it. Some good up and comers in there especially Horodecki. Some other guys I could see in UFC in the future include Jamal Patterson, Rory Markham, Reese Andy amonst others.

Old
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
As I read it originally, and I thinks its posted and linked in the previous inception of this thread, Diaz failed his test with a level of 175, where its considered a lenient level of 50 for the NSAC to ban someone when a lot of people will fail at a 5 reading. So being 3 1/2 times the allowed level, I'd say it pretty much affected him. And as I said, it may have taken an excruciating pain and made into a somewhat bearable pain, plus with the adrenaline already pumping through his system, who really knows how it could have affected his pain level. ALSO, people have different pain thresholds. And these are men who have to live with pain to do their job, so I would venture to say his threshold is PROBABLY higher than the average member/reader of this thread.
I'll repost the link LiquidClown already posted. I think it is very informative and accurate.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=550205

Closed Thread