HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The NEW Official MMA Thread - Continued

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2007, 11:23 PM
QuickDynamite

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Nash13;9027267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Mirko Cro Cop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
[B]Gonzaga is a pretty good fighter but he doesn't have much of a chance. He can't outstrike CC, he can't take him to the ground and he wouldn't be able to submit him either.QUOTE]

Outstruck and took him to the ground.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm well aware of what happened but I didn't see anyone predicting Cro Cop to lose this fight. 2007 is the year of the upsets.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I was watching this with some friends of mine, and I jokingly said, "If Gonzaga wins, I'll get a tattoo of a dick on my face."

Luckily I didn't shake hands with anyone on that bet.

Talk about karma. Crocop's slogan so to speak has been, "Right kick hospital, left kick cemetary." I couldn't believe it.

Probably the most brutal kick KO I've ever seen. Just unbelievable.

Here's a video (crappy quality):

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...rocop-ufc-70/1

Old
04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
QuickDynamite

Very disapointing show tonight. Cro Cop lost which is terrible. Not to be disrespectful to Gonzaga but no one wanted to see him fight for the title.

Werdum vs Arlovski was a snooze fest. Neither fighter showed any killer instinct and were just picking their spots the entire fight.

Bisping looked impressive doing alot of damage from Sinosic's guard but it was pretty much expected that he would beat him.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Old
04-21-2007, 11:39 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I know he walked out fine but I swear his ankle/leg is ****ed up. There's no way he could land like that and be completely fine. Did you see his freakin ankle?
His ankle was bending backwards it must have been broken or something.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Kirk Muller

[QUOTE=chapel113x;9027417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm well aware of what happened but I didn't see anyone predicting Cro Cop to lose this fight. 2007 is the year of the upsets.

When you say a guy has no chance etc etc like you did is crazy imo. MMA has proven time and time again, that all fighters have a punchers chance. And we are not talking about a chump in Gonzaga either, so whether he was the underdog or not, i can't fathom some one basically giving him no chance like you did. Thats all

Also, it appeared the ref just before he moved Cro Cops leg, was about to lose it. It looked like he quickly covered his eyes for a second. I don't know if anyone else saw that.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
dem

Another tough night for the PRIDE elitists out there..

Werdum loses..
Crocop gets destroyed.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Very disapointing show tonight. Cro Cop lost which is terrible. Not to be disrespectful to Gonzaga but no one wanted to see him fight for the title.

Werdum vs Arlovski was a snooze fest. Neither fighter showed any killer instinct and were just picking their spots the entire fight.

Bisping looked impressive doing alot of damage from Sinosic's guard but it was pretty much expected that he would beat him.
I actually wanted Gonzaga to win, go figure.

Yes very disappointing about the Werdum vs Arlovski match. To me its takes two to fight and Werdum just wasn't doing anything to helped at all, was way too focused on getting to ground and Werdum never tried anything to get Arlovski on the ground.

Bisping vs Sinosic, was just a stepping stone, Sinosic almost won there too just couldn't lock in the submission. Although I'm a Bisping fan so I was happy at the result.

EDIT: just added more thoughts

Old
04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I was shocked Werdum never made an attempt to shoot in and take Arlovski to the ground. Obviously his gameplan was to bang with Arlovski, which obviously...is the wrong gameplan. His corner should have stressed to him to shoot, and get Arlovski to the ground. It was apparent that when Werdum went to the ground, AA didn't want to go down there, for fear of submission. Werdum was not aggressive enough, and deserved the loss. I thought Werdum would have an easy time with AA....I was way off.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Clash*

Anyone else catch Matt Serra calling Matt Hughes a dick, not once, but twice? I really want to see that TUF show if its gonna be anything like the present one. I'm loving the present one with Penn always tryin to screw with Pulver and some good personalities in the fighters. I wonder who the welterweights are going to be, since they've already had the try-outs.

As for CageRage today. Good show, I like the presentation they put on. Some decent fights also. I thought Tank Abbott would take his guy out, but he gassed from not training for the fight. Completely cool that he grabbed a beer as soon as he left the cage.

As for UFC 70, Kongo-Silva was a bore. Good to see the hometown boy in Etim get the win in the undefeateds. And surprised Bisping wasn't stopped in the first. Sinosic didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight. I didn't see the rest, as I had to leave for work after the first round of Bisping-Sinosic. Thank god for the DVR.

Old
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Habsfan18

anyone else kinda getting tired of this?

I mean, it's nice seeing upsets every now and then..but not every single freaking PPV.

Old
04-22-2007, 12:22 AM
QuickDynamite

[QUOTE=Nash13;9027556]
Quote:

When you say a guy has no chance etc etc like you did is crazy imo. MMA has proven time and time again, that all fighters have a punchers chance. And we are not talking about a chump in Gonzaga either, so whether he was the underdog or not, i can't fathom some one basically giving him no chance like you did. Thats all

Also, it appeared the ref just before he moved Cro Cops leg, was about to lose it. It looked like he quickly covered his eyes for a second. I don't know if anyone else saw that.
Upsets happen everyone knows that. We've all seen what's been happening but based on the fact that his takedown defense is so strong and striking is so much better suprised everyone.

And yes I am starting to get sick of all the upsets lately like I said before 2007 has had so many upsets.

Old
04-22-2007, 12:23 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Another tough night for the PRIDE elitists out there..

Werdum loses..
Crocop gets destroyed.
Go back to Sherdog i'm sick of hearing this crap.

Old
04-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Muad'Dib

Old
04-22-2007, 02:18 AM
fob

HOLY ######## ##### ########## ### #### ####

I just saw the Crocop obliteration on Spike.

I think I lost a few years off my life seeing that "live."

Old
04-22-2007, 02:59 AM
dem

Quote:
Go back to Sherdog i'm sick of hearing this crap.
Aww.. still sore cause the great Frank Trigg lost?

Old
04-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Aww.. still sore cause the great Frank Trigg lost?
The whole Pride/UFC argument was BS anyways. Not sure you got that memo yet.

Solid free card. Arlovski has become the new Tim Sylvia. He can't fight without being completely afraid to get hit. Still in awe at Gonzaga winning--let alone Gonzaga getting his fat leg up that high.

Edit - Sweet thread on Sherdog btw: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...hreadid=556019

This post from the thread applies to the "thread starter": "LOL you guys act as if either PRIDE or UFC actually trained those fighters."

Last edited by Ensane: 04-22-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old
04-22-2007, 04:50 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
The whole Pride/UFC argument was BS anyways. Not sure you got that memo yet.
Oh I got the memo... about 2 years ago. And it seemed like I was the only one.

Old
04-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Evilo

I think CroCop is done honestly.

A few years ago, Gonzaga would have not ben a thread. No direspect to him, but there was a time where Crocop was impossible to beat, or at least nearly so.
He hasn't looked good recently, even when he has won.
I think he's had enough. He was pushing for one last shot at a title vs Couture, but now I think his career is over.

The K1 Crocop was the ultimate fighter.

Old
04-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Evilo

And let's not forget that it will take time for him to heal his ankle. If he ever does.

Old
04-22-2007, 07:26 AM
The Produce Man
Master of Puppets

Yeah, during his post fight interview he sounded like he was done.

(Paraphrasing)

Joe: So where do you go from here? Go back and watch the tapes of this fight and come back ready for your next one?

Cro Cop: ... I don't know. We'll see.

Given time to sleep on it and let the disbelief run out of my body, I still wonder whether Mirko is comfortable fighting using UFC rules. He didn't have an answer for the elbow strikes. The Cro Cop I'm used to watching would have just pushed off his opponents knees from his guard, and scrambled his way up to his feet. In PRIDE he never had to worry about someone throwing elbows from the top. He hasn't looked comfortable in the octagon yet.

Not to take away from Gonzaga, who had a hell of a fight, but Cro Cop looked uninspired.

Old
04-22-2007, 07:55 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedYeti View Post
I was shocked Werdum never made an attempt to shoot in and take Arlovski to the ground. Obviously his gameplan was to bang with Arlovski, which obviously...is the wrong gameplan. His corner should have stressed to him to shoot, and get Arlovski to the ground. It was apparent that when Werdum went to the ground, AA didn't want to go down there, for fear of submission. Werdum was not aggressive enough, and deserved the loss. I thought Werdum would have an easy time with AA....I was way off.
If I recall he tried to shoot two-three times and failed miserably. His timing was off this fight and you could see that with the useless jabs he was throwing that were a good 8 ****ing inches off the mark - he wasn't even close to being in range. I thought his best chance for a takedown was when he came rushing in (twice) and sent AA reeling back against the cage (the one in the first round was his best chance). He had AA with both hands up, and off-balance: all he has to do is come over top and then duck underneath for a double leg. Sounds simple, sure, and it's I know it's not, but if his game is on the ground that was his chance.

Quote:

I mean, it's nice seeing upsets every now and then..but not every single freaking PPV.
Yeah, I'm getting a little sick of all these ****ing upsets. However, for me the there is a big difference between Serra's victory and Gonzaga's victory. I think GSP just had an awful night, and Serra can count his lucky stars. I think in the Gonzaga fight, we saw the birth of a true contender and possibly the future of the heavyweight division. Gonzaga is exactly the type of big man that can give Randy trouble...I'm not sure which way I'm going to go in August...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
And let's not forget that it will take time for him to heal his ankle. If he ever does.
No kidding. A testament to how frickin' strong this guy's body is though, is how the leg didn't snap. You couldn't see it twisted, but it didn't snap. That whole kick was just frickin weird - really weird man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Revolver View Post
Yeah, during his post fight interview he sounded like he was done.

(Paraphrasing)

Joe: So where do you go from here? Go back and watch the tapes of this fight and come back ready for your next one?

Cro Cop: ... I don't know. We'll see.

Given time to sleep on it and let the disbelief run out of my body, I still wonder whether Mirko is comfortable fighting using UFC rules. He didn't have an answer for the elbow strikes. The Cro Cop I'm used to watching would have just pushed off his opponents knees from his guard, and scrambled his way up to his feet. In PRIDE he never had to worry about someone throwing elbows from the top. He hasn't looked comfortable in the octagon yet.

Not to take away from Gonzaga, who had a hell of a fight, but Cro Cop looked uninspired.
He looked very uninspired coming into the ring - almost like he didn't give a ****. Perhaps the guy needs to take some time off, get back into the Croatian Police again and re-focus. I'm not sure he really wants it right now.

Another thing that crossed my mind was this: he fought Sanchez on tranq., and I'm wondering if he still has the same injury. No excuses, but who knows...

Old
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Wow!

Anyone else notice that CroCop doesn't look as good when he is sporting a goatee? Shaved CroCop = Deadly CroCop

If you have it on PVR taped or whatever, look at Herd Dean's reaction to CroCops legs being twisted.. he covers his face with horror before fixing his leg, funny/sad.

I'm glad Mirko's road to the UFC heavyweight title isn't easy though, he'll be back.

Old
04-22-2007, 11:00 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:

Nope.. great fights are great fights. I think it was awesome seeing CroCop face a major challange on his road to becoming a title holder in the UFC. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Gonzaga is legit, and I'm very excited to see him vs Couture.. how could you not after that?

Old
04-22-2007, 11:04 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

That was pretty funny.

Can't beleive Werdum and Arlovski.. the first round was great IMO, but then we had two guys afraid to lose in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.. unbearable. I don't get that gameplan. Joe Silva and Dana White aren't going to give Arlovski a title shot after that.

Hopefully Mirko is okay, because I would love to see him and Arlovski next, but I'd be suprised to see him fight again in 2006, that leg just looked too **** up.

Closed Thread