HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

AJ to remain on defense

Old
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
X0ssbar

vCash: 500
AJ to remain on defense

Stole this link from our friends over on metro - good piece:

Quote:
Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock experimented with Johnson playing right-wing for the final six games of the regular season.

“It went really well. They really liked me there,” said Johnson, the only Cape Bretoner to play in the NHL full time this season. “But when I had my year-end meeting they told me defence is definitely where I am going to play and they want me to continue working to develop my game.”

Development is an ongoing theme with the Blue Jackets, who have yet to advance to the playoffs in their seven-year history. They went 33-42-7 to finish 11th in the Western Conference this season.

Head coach Gerard Gallant was fired Nov. 13 after a 5-9-1 start. He was replaced by Hitchcock, who guided the Jackets to a 28-33-6 record.

“He’s extremely knowledgeable and he expects things done accordingly and with 110-per cent effort,” Johnson said of Hitchcock, who has a reputation of being a demanding coach. “I think he was exactly what our team needed, a push, a kick in the butt. It was good.”
http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....d=23301&sc=146

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
3mta3

Good link, thanks Shelf. I'm not too sure how I feel about AJ in general, but I'm glad there is some sort of plan for the offseason and next season instead of "aw shucks, we'll just get better magically since our roster is so good!"

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Good. Don't know what happened at AJ when Hitch arrived, but he became tentative both with and without the puck, which led to reduced ice time. In his second regular stint with the CBJ (end of '05-06 season) you could tell he had filled out physically and he was playing with confidence, if not perfect positioning/puck poise. If he can get back that confidence, and build on it with better all-around play (maybe one more full year in the 'Cuse??), his upside as a d-man - second pairing guy with some offensive potential — is better than his forward upside.

Old
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Byrral

With AJ being a RFA this year, DM holds the cards similar to the Fritsche situation last year. I think AJ needs to sign a two way contract which would be good for both the team and AJ. AJ could get the playing time he needs to develop and the two way would allow an instant call up when needed.

Last edited by Byrral: 04-17-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Byrral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Send him to Syracuse or trade him. I'm not saying just dump him for tablescraps, but if he can't hone his game anymore, he's just sort of taking someone else's roster spot away.

[/harsh reality]

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Good, he's not a forward, and should never play forward again.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Macster

I still think you will see AJ used as a Streit/Schubert player, but he will mostly be used on defense.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I think he has to pass thru waivers to go down to the Crunch, no reason for him to sign a two-way contract.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote