HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Hartley

Old
04-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Draft Dodger

vCash: 500
fwiw, I thought putting Lehtonen back in for Game 3 was the right move, although I know I'm in the minority.

The Thrashers are not playing well in any aspect of the game. Can't really pin it all on the choice of goaltender.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I think the 97 Avs could've won it all with a better coach than Crawford, same with the 2000 team. However that year they didnt get the best of Joe Sakic unfortunately. Hartley was a good if not great coach but I always thought his teams were always bad on the PP and PK considering the personel he had. I thought Dallas ripped them apart on special teams. PP's seemed ineffective and gave Dallas momentum while giving up a few goals on the PK that were killers.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Foppa Frossa

I always referred to Hartley as Dump-and-Chase Hartley - made for boring games to watch

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I think the 97 Avs could've won it all with a better coach than Crawford, same with the 2000 team. However that year they didnt get the best of Joe Sakic unfortunately. Hartley was a good if not great coach but I always thought his teams were always bad on the PP and PK considering the personel he had. I thought Dallas ripped them apart on special teams. PP's seemed ineffective and gave Dallas momentum while giving up a few goals on the PK that were killers.
I will always remember the shots Borque was taking at the end of that game against Dallas. I had a terrible feeling that he was going to call it quits. He was singly handedly trying to get the AVs past the Stars and it was one of the defining moments of my hockey fandom. I'm just really glad he stuck around another year to finish the job. How many times did the puck actually hit the posts and cross-bar at the end of that game. Time surely makes it seem like it hit more often but I swear it feels like Borque hit it three times in the final two minutes himself. Geez....what an effort.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Golden Foppa

I've always felt that the Avs should have won more than one cup under Hartley, but I don't think that it was necesarily mistakes that he made that limited them to one cup. Game 6 in '99 at home against Dallas was a blown opportunity to advance. Both game 7's against Dallas the Avs played horrible at least to start the game. Games 6 against Detroit in '02 was another blown opportunity to go to the finals. I don't really blame Hartley for those losses. Hartley was 2-1 vs Detroit in the playoffs with the only lost series coming in 7 games in 2002. I've always felt that the failures were more on the players or the type of personel that the team had.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I will always remember the shots Borque was taking at the end of that game against Dallas. I had a terrible feeling that he was going to call it quits. He was singly handedly trying to get the AVs past the Stars and it was one of the defining moments of my hockey fandom. I'm just really glad he stuck around another year to finish the job. How many times did the puck actually hit the posts and cross-bar at the end of that game. Time surely makes it seem like it hit more often but I swear it feels like Borque hit it three times in the final two minutes himself. Geez....what an effort.
The end of that game when Deadmarsh hit the post was just heartbreaking.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:47 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
I still want something documenting Bourque period here on dvd or something.
It was... frustrating only having internet radio to follow games at night at the time.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 12:36 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
I've always felt that the Avs should have won more than one cup under Hartley, but I don't think that it was necesarily mistakes that he made that limited them to one cup. Game 6 in '99 at home against Dallas was a blown opportunity to advance. Both game 7's against Dallas the Avs played horrible at least to start the game. Games 6 against Detroit in '02 was another blown opportunity to go to the finals. I don't really blame Hartley for those losses. Hartley was 2-1 vs Detroit in the playoffs with the only lost series coming in 7 games in 2002. I've always felt that the failures were more on the players or the type of personel that the team had.
No doubt.

That still gets on my mind every now and then. The Avs would've steamrolled Carolina.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
I still want something documenting Bourque period here on dvd or something.
It was... frustrating only having internet radio to follow games at night at the time.
I was incredibly stupid and did not break off the security tab on the VHS tape I used to record that game. I also did not label it correctly. As a result, my wife accidently taped a "Good Eats (Food Network show with Alton Brown)" marathon over the game. My mistake completely but I still don't like Alton Brown as much as I should because of it.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
If Roy just didnt drop the puck He was playing so well up to that point.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Worst Avalanche moment ever. I was at that game and the whole crowd was a buzz with confusion and disbelief.

AvsinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Yeah. That very well could be the difference in the Avs being 2 time Stanley Cup Champs and 3 time Stanley Cup champs.

Old
04-20-2007, 05:41 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Yeah. That very well could be the difference in the Avs being 2 time Stanley Cup Champs and 3 time Stanley Cup champs.
Yeah...let's all blame Roy for not winning more Cups!

I'm not saying he wasn't to ever blame but still....I'd not give up one moment he gave us for another cup. Well, maybe...but it is still pretty hard to look at the guy and criticize him for anything he did...including his bad nights.

Old
04-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Yeah...let's all blame Roy for not winning more Cups!

I'm not saying he wasn't to ever blame but still....I'd not give up one moment he gave us for another cup. Well, maybe...but it is still pretty hard to look at the guy and criticize him for anything he did...including his bad nights.
Wow! Patrick Roy is my third favorite athlete of alltime behind John Elway and Peter Forsberg. I am not blaming him for anything. I'm merely pointing out that one play could have been the difference in the team winning a 3rd cup. I'm basically saying that we were that close.

Old
04-20-2007, 05:58 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Yeah Carolina was a pushover and the way Roy was playing up until that point you knew the Avs would win it

Old
04-20-2007, 06:06 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Wow! Patrick Roy is my third favorite athlete of alltime behind John Elway and Peter Forsberg. I am not blaming him for anything. I'm merely pointing out that one play could have been the difference in the team winning a 3rd cup. I'm basically saying that we were that close.
And I'm just saying that one bad play was not the difference between one series and a SCF win. There is no guarantee that the AVs would've won against the Canes. There's no real value in looking back at history and suggesting if one thing was different every thing else would also be different. The value in history is learning from mistakes and not repeating them in the future...not playing coach or GM many years afterwards and saying one play or one person was at fault for a team failure.

Old
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Now...as for Bob and the Thrashers....

He got them into the playoffs...something folks liked to think about but didn't take seriously. I was a bit taken about how easily the Rangers handled them. I thought it would go 5 if not 6 games. But I still believe he's got another year in him in Atlanta. Win or lose I think he'll be done next season. But I think he's done an admirable job all along.

Old
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
And I'm just saying that one bad play was not the difference between one series and a SCF win. There is no guarantee that the AVs would've won against the Canes. There's no real value in looking back at history and suggesting if one thing was different every thing else would also be different. The value in history is learning from mistakes and not repeating them in the future...not playing coach or GM many years afterwards and saying one play or one person was at fault for a team failure.
There is no point in looking back and blaming things on one player or one play, but come on the Avs would've stomped the Canes.

Old
04-20-2007, 08:57 PM
SB

Quote:
There is no point in looking back and blaming things on one player or one play, but come on the Avs would've stomped the Canes.
Yes, they would have.

Of course, withOUT Roy, the Avs would be two Cups fewer, as well...

SB is offline   Reply With Quote