HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EJ

Old
04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Gman7191

vCash: 500
EJ

Im under the impression that EJ will most likely be put with either Jacman or McKee in his first season. After EJ has past the stage of getting used to the NHL and is a steady player on o-fence and d-fence. Should the Blues try and draft (or trade for) someone just as young to compliment EJ?

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 10:33 PM
dao256

Hopefully not our first, but either our second or third pick in the first round will be used on a great 2 way dman to compliment EJ. Theres plenty ava.

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:02 AM
sandbox

Is he even going to sign this year?

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:51 AM
CuSa_1

i don't think he will, but who knows

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Checker*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html

Here's an areicle on EJ, with cameo by Jay Barriball. I'm still not sold on him signing this year either, and am still puzzled why a player as gifted as Johnson is so worried about being "under the spotlight." He needs to realize that is where the great ones thrive.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Yeah that article doesn't sound like he's worried about coming to the nhl, just he's worried being in real life, which all 18 year olds are worried about that. People do need to understand he's young. If someone comes to you and tells you at 18 they have a good paying job for you, but you'll have to move thousands of miles away and be away from family and friends you're going to sit and think about it for awhile.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
kimzey59

As much sense as it makes to put EJ with McKee or Jax for the "mentorship" aspect; I'd actually perfer it if EJ spent his 1st season on a pairing with Backman.

For all the talk of EJ's offensive potential, what people tend to forget is that EJ is primarily a shut-down defensive D man. IMO it would be better for EJ if he were put on the ice with an offensive player so he can concentrate on getting his defensive game to NHL level(pretty much the same thing we did with Jax only on a smaller level). Once the D game is solidified, the offense will come. Since Backman is the only real "offensive" D man we have right now it makes more sense IMO to put the two together.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
Is he even going to sign this year?
I think he'll be a Blue very soon.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCollegeHockey View Post
Says a guy with a screen-name that I would like to trust...

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
SIU LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCollegeHockey View Post
99.9% chance you are right on the money. An announcement may be coming between now and Saturday about his signing.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Since Backman is the only real "offensive" D man we have right now it makes more sense IMO to put the two together.
I really do not see Backman as an "offensive" d man. To me his greatest strength is his positional play and using his size in the defensive zone. He thinks defense first and offense second. As evident by his +13 this year. His passing at times can be erractic especially out of our own zone and like many Blues defenseman struggles to get his shots on net from the point. I think the max potential he could reach would be a Mattias Ohlund type defender, which I think is fantastic (If only he had his shot). To label him as a offensive minded d man is a misnomer to me.

To me Backman is a "defensive" d man with the potential to put up 25-30 pts in a season while playing some really solid D. The Blues really need a PP QB on the point and I am hoping EJ can fill that void. I agree with you though Kimzey, with our current crop of defenders Backman probably has the best offensive skillset.

Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I really do not see Backman as an "offensive" d man. To me his greatest strength is his positional play and using his size in the defensive zone. He thinks defense first and offense second. As evident by his +13 this year. His passing at times can be erractic especially out of our own zone and like many Blues defenseman struggles to get his shots on net from the point. I think the max potential he could reach would be a Mattias Ohlund type defender, which I think is fantastic (If only he had his shot). To label him as a offensive minded d man is a misnomer to me.

To me Backman is a "defensive" d man with the potential to put up 25-30 pts in a season while playing some really solid D. The Blues really need a PP QB on the point and I am hoping EJ can fill that void. I agree with you though Kimzey, with our current crop of defenders Backman probably has the best offensive skillset.
I think this is a really solid analysis of Backman and I agree with it. Backman doesn't have the high end offensive or defensive skills but is rather good at a number of areas with no one great, obvious skill like a wicked shot and great wheels. He's a smart player and I trust him to not make a lot of mistakes in his own zone. He's our most competent defensive dman simply because he moves the puck better than a guy like Jackman, who by the way had a great 2nd half last year and really made me rethink my belief that he's not fit for the "new NHL" - which I've noticed is slowly morphing into the "old NHL."

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

I agree. Bax is a containment type defensive player, in the mold of Kjell Samuellson if you will. He won't bowl anyone over, but he usually ties his man up with quiet efficiency. As far as his outlets, there has to be a recipient in position to recieve a pass; puck support, something that the Blues were really lacking all season long (under both coaches). But back to the post, I personally would like to see EJ with McKee, he has been in the battles, would be great mentor, and could cover up EJ's rookie mistakes (yes, he will make some). We have no legit PP blueliner, a need that should be addressed, or expect the PP woes to continue.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I agree. Bax is a containment type defensive player, in the mold of Kjell Samuellson if you will. He won't bowl anyone over, but he usually ties his man up with quiet efficiency. As far as his outlets, there has to be a recipient in position to recieve a pass; puck support, something that the Blues were really lacking all season long (under both coaches). But back to the post, I personally would like to see EJ with McKee, he has been in the battles, would be great mentor, and could cover up EJ's rookie mistakes (yes, he will make some). We have no legit PP blueliner, a need that should be addressed, or expect the PP woes to continue.
Puck support under Kitch was truly terrible. It improved under Murray considerably.

Old
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
He's our most competent defensive dman simply because he moves the puck better than a guy like Jackman, who by the way had a great 2nd half last year and really made me rethink my belief that he's not fit for the "new NHL" - which I've noticed is slowly morphing into the "old NHL."
I still think Jax is a better defensive D-man than Bax, not only because of the physicality but because of his passing. Jackman might be the most underrated passer on the Blues team, and he's definitely more consistent with his outlet passes than Backman, who seems to panic with the puck if he gets pressured. Jackmans 24 assists in 70 games blows away the more 'offensively gifted' Backman's 11 assists in 61 games....and I'd be willing to guess that Backman has more turnovers than Jax as well. Jackman did come on strong in the 2nd half of the season, and was by far the most effective D-man on the team as the season drew to a close. Offensively, defensively, 2-way, whatever.....I think Jackman proved to be more valuable than Brewer, Backman or any other D-man for that matter last year.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:39 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
I still think Jax is a better defensive D-man than Bax, not only because of the physicality but because of his passing. Jackman might be the most underrated passer on the Blues team, and he's definitely more consistent with his outlet passes than Backman, who seems to panic with the puck if he gets pressured. Jackmans 24 assists in 70 games blows away the more 'offensively gifted' Backman's 11 assists in 61 games....and I'd be willing to guess that Backman has more turnovers than Jax as well. Jackman did come on strong in the 2nd half of the season, and was by far the most effective D-man on the team as the season drew to a close. Offensively, defensively, 2-way, whatever.....I think Jackman proved to be more valuable than Brewer, Backman or any other D-man for that matter last year.
I'd agree. Jackman had a great year and played a much better all around game than Backman.

Old
04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
StLooFrenchy

No doubt, as the team sits right now, Jax is the stud D-man.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:46 AM
CuSa_1

Maybe Backman is dealt at the draft?

Old
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
Maybe Backman is dealt at the draft?
That is absolutely what I expect to happen. Here's hoping we trade him for a soon to be UFA (read: Drury or Briere) so we can attempt to sign them long term, a mid-round pick, and a conditional second should soon to be UFA player (read: Drury or Briere) not sign.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
That is absolutely what I expect to happen. Here's hoping we trade him for a soon to be UFA (read: Drury or Briere) so we can attempt to sign them long term, a mid-round pick, and a conditional second should soon to be UFA player (read: Drury or Briere) not sign.
Backman and a fourth for a pick at the end of the second round? No thanks. We can get significantly better value than that.

The value of having the chance to appeal to Drury for an extra week or two is negligible - if he's open to signing in St. Louis, he's open and we will still have Backman as a potential trade asset in another deal. Remember, he is under no obligation to even answer the phone when the Blues call for those last two weeks of June when he will probably be on vacation anyway. Why would he arbitrarily give up the right to hear up to 30 offers? Some sense that he owes the Blues something? Because they threw away a D-man?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
CuSa_1

Also agree, not a good trade. We can sign one of them AND deal Backman for much more than you have listed.

Old
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
DrVanntastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Backman and a fourth for a pick at the end of the second round? No thanks. We can get significantly better value than that.

The value of having the chance to appeal to Drury for an extra week or two is negligible - if he's open to signing in St. Louis, he's open and we will still have Backman as a potential trade asset in another deal. Remember, he is under no obligation to even answer the phone when the Blues call for those last two weeks of June when he will probably be on vacation anyway. Why would he arbitrarily give up the right to hear up to 30 offers? Some sense that he owes the Blues something? Because they threw away a D-man?
I think you need to go back and re-read my post. Let me make it more concise and to the point for you.

Blues get:
Drury or Briere
Fourth Rnd Pick 2007
Conditional 2nd round pick in 2008 depending on if Drury signs or not

Sabres get:
Backman

Nowhere in my post did I say that the Blues were giving up any picks. If you think Backman is worth more than a second and a fourth, then I would like some of the drugs you're on.

Old
04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
I think you need to go back and re-read my post. Let me make it more concise and to the point for you.

Blues get:
Drury or Briere
Fourth Rnd Pick 2007

Sabres get:
Backman

Nowhere in my post did I say that the Blues were giving up any picks. If you think Backman is worth more than a second and a fourth, then I would like some of the drugs you're on.
I guess I'm on drugs then.. because I certainly think Backman is worth more than a 2nd and 4th

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM
DrVanntastic

I should be more specific because he's probably worth a second and an upper level prospect. I still stand by my decision, because two weeks is more than enough time to woo Drury or Briere to wearing a Bluenote next season. Maybe we could talk Buffalo into a sign and trade?

Old
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:

Blues get:
Drury or Briere
Fourth Rnd Pick 2007

Sabres get:
Backman

You are right – I misread your post. My mistake.

However, your proposal is still a very, very, very bad idea. Talk about drugs. I wouldn’t trade Backman for a 56-60 and a 116-120 (which is where Buffalo will have a 2d and a 4th. Backman has developed into a top-4 Dman with some residual upside. He is basically a 7.5A. At worst he is a 7.0A. Would you trade a 7A or 7.5A for the 55-60 and the 115-120? I would never, ever do that. When you grab a guy around 25 overall, having that guy turn into a 7-7.5A is something you will take every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is what happened with Backman.

Moreover, you are making a massive assumption that it would be this deal that would be the difference maker in having D/B sign a long-term deal with us. That is, he would go elsewhere in UFA but for the Blues technically owning his rights in the final two weeks of June. You have not explained why a guy (either one) who is looking at a huge bidding war for his services would arbitrarily limit his field to one team. These guys don’t get UFA all that often in their careers, so the default assumption has to be that there is NO reason for that player to artificially limit himself. The dollars will drive the deal. There will be a bidding war.

If he would be willing to sign a contract in UFA then all you’ve done is trade Backman for a pick no higher than 116 which would be a total unmitigated disaster in asset management.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote