HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New way to watch hockey

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
New way to watch hockey

The future apparently is here.

The interactive television world we've all been hearing about for years will arrive in Canada tomorrow when the CBC, NHL and Bell ExpressVu launch Hockey Night In Canada Plus.

"This will enhance the TV viewing experience for hockey fans across Canada," says Bell ExpressVu president Tim McGee. "It can help change the way Canadians view their favourite game."

Of course, you'd expect him to say that considering his title. But this appears to be more than just hype.

It lets the hockey fan watch the game the way he or she wants, choosing from the regular broadcast, replays, isolated cameras and statistics.

You can look at five images on your screen, or stick with the one most people watch.

Here's how it works:

If you have an interactive ExpressVu receiver, go to channel 276 tomorrow at 7 p.m. for the Leafs-Canadiens game.

Using your remote, you can choose from any or all of the following: the regular game broadcast; a camera that isolates on selected players throughout the game; another view from either the robotic end-zone camera or the goal-cam; a ``second-look" camera that shows play on a 45-second delay; continuous highlights; or up-to-the-minute stats.

In effect, you can be your own director, though CBC will decide who appears on the isolated camera and which of the alternate cameras will be used — at least for now.

"What everybody wants is the world's greatest remote control," says HNIC senior executive producer Joel Darling. "This lets you watch the game the way you want to watch it."

Darling admits that most will watch it the old-fashioned way, with Bob Cole calling the play and Harry Neale adding commentary and reading the stats.

But he expects there will be enough fans who want to find their own stats, watch more replays and focus on Mats Sundin when he's on the ice.

"It's being done in Europe with soccer and it's very popular there," says Darling.

ExpressVu product marketing director Paul Nathanielsz says the success of its NASCAR option, which gives subscribers a choice of in-car cameras to watch, indicates it will be a success.

"The time has arrived," he says.

And if a NASCAR product can succeed, then hockey certainly should.

"We couldn't think of a better sport to do Canada's first multi-camera option," says McGee. ``It was pretty much a no-brainer."

Technically, this isn't the first. ExpressVu and Rogers Sportsnet offered a channel devoted to Mario Lemieux during a 2001 broadcast, though that wasn't quite as involved as this effort.

Nobody is doing this for altruistic reasons. ExpressVu wants to look like it's on the cutting edge to boost subscriptions and receiver sales. The CBC will get a cut with only a small investment at this point.

Regardless, it's a bonus for hard-core fans and those who just like to play with remotes.

Oh, by the way, this isn't free, though the Saturday night doubleheader will be until Jan. 17. After that it's $29.99 for the rest of the regular season or $109.99 if you want to include the playoffs.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
so its 110 dollars eh lol

Old
12-19-2003, 03:58 AM
loveshack2

Sounds interesting. Ill definitely at least be giving it a try until Jan 17.

Highly doubt Ill pay for the rest of the season though you never know, but over a hundred bucks for the playoffs? Yeah right.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:20 AM
wasting time

Hockey Night in Canada has producers and camera men who dedicate their entire careers to finding the right shot to create the best possible viewing experience. Somehow now the hockey is going to be better to watch because the viewer has the ability to watch the entire game from behind Eddie's butt?

Its a gimmick for ExpressVu.

Pass.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:53 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Hockey Night in Canada has producers and camera men who dedicate their entire careers to finding the right shot to create the best possible viewing experience. Somehow now the hockey is going to be better to watch because the viewer has the ability to watch the entire game from behind Eddie's butt?

Its a gimmick for ExpressVu.

Pass.
True, and I doubt I will be making much use of that particular option

The 45 second delay idea is nice though. There has been a number of times this season when I would've like to see a replay of what just happened but I didnt get one. I suppose it's due to the "hurry-up" faceoffs but it just seems like they show alot less replays then they used to during a game. I like the idea of putting continuous game stats on a separate channel as well. Let's you check the stats you want (instead of the stats the announcers decide to tell you) when you want.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:21 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
True, and I doubt I will be making much use of that particular option

The 45 second delay idea is nice though. There has been a number of times this season when I would've like to see a replay of what just happened but I didnt get one. I suppose it's due to the "hurry-up" faceoffs but it just seems like they show alot less replays then they used to during a game. I like the idea of putting continuous game stats on a separate channel as well. Let's you check the stats you want (instead of the stats the announcers decide to tell you) when you want.

If you get a TIVO Box you can have practically an unlimited delay for any television program.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:43 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
If you get a TIVO Box you can have practically an unlimited delay for any television program.
I know but Im working on a budget here. I cant afford a TIVO or whatever other system lets you pause and rewind live TV. I *can* afford a free service until Jan 17th, and after that depending on how much I like it I might be able to afford $30 for the rest of the year.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Epoch

That sounds cool.

Closed Thread