HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Question about the Nordiques.......

Old
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Question about the Nordiques.......

Who scored the last ever goal for the Nordiques in the playoffs in New York against the Rangers in a 4-2 loss.Who scored the 2nd goal,can't remember and I can't find it anywhere

Thanks

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:05 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who scored the last ever goal for the Nordiques in the playoffs in New York against the Rangers in a 4-2 loss.Who scored the 2nd goal,can't remember and I can't find it anywhere

Thanks
Wasn't that the series that the NHL fined (or criticized) Andy Van Hellemond for poor officiating?

04-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Wasn't that the series that the NHL fined Andy Van Hellemond for poor officiating?
Yes,something about the slash to kovalev or something like that,why the hell can't I find this anywhere!!

Old
04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
porknbeans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Yes,something about the slash to kovalev or something like that,why the hell can't I find this anywhere!!
Forsberg scored the last goal for the Quebec Nordiques.

NEW YORK -- The New York Rangers took the first step towards defending their Stanley Cup championship by beating Quebec 4-2 on Tuesday night, eliminating the Nordiques from the NHL playoffs.

The Rangers won the Eastern Conference best of seven quarterfinal 4-2 and will meet the Philadelphia Flyers in the semifinals on the weekend. New York qualified for the playoffs as the No. 8 seed in the Eastern Conference, while Quebec finished first in the conference during the regular season.

Alexei Kovalev had two goals for the Rangers, with Pat Verbeek and Sergei Nemchinov scoring the others.

Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg had the goals for Quebec.

``Everybody certainly played better this series than we did in the regular season,'' said Rangers defenceman Brian Leetch, who added two assists.

New York outshot Quebec 39-28, and took control of the game by storming out to a 3-0 first-period lead and chasing rookie Quebec netminder Jocelyn Thibault.

Verbeek opened the scoring with a power-play goal at 2:11 of the first. Kovalev increased the Rangers' lead to 2-0 at 8:26 before Nemchinov made it 3-0 at 19:57.

When Quebec returned for the second, veteran Stephane Fiset was in goal. Thibault, whose steady play earned Quebec a 4-2 win Sunday, faced 16 shots in the first.

Kovalev fired his fourth goal of the playoffs past Fiset at 10:18 of the second before Sakic scored his fourth goal of the postseason, while Quebec was short-handed, at 15:56.

Forsberg pulled the Nordiques to within 4-2 with a power-play goal at 5:34 of the third, but that's as close as Quebec could get.

Quebec fans now will have to wait and see whether the Nordiques can avenge their playoff disappointment.

Earlier on Tuesday, the NHL club turned down a government offer of financial help.

The province offered a two-year aid package that included the purchase of $17.5 million in shares of the team as well as another $7 million towards its debt.

The Nordiques' rejection of the provincial package could pave the way for the franchise to move to Denver in time for the next NHL season.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
svetovy poharu

Here's the game summary from the Nordiques final game:

May 16, 1995

Quebec.......0 - 1 - 1 = 2
Rangers.......3 - 1 - 0 = 4

FIRST PERIOD:
1. NYR, Verbeek 2nd (Leetch, Messier), 2:11 (pp)
2. NYR, Kovalev 3rd (Zubov, Lowe), 8:26
3. NYR, Nemchinov 3rd (Leetch, Larmer), 19:57

Penalties:
(QUE) Kovalenko (hooking), 0:52
(NYR) Lowe (tripping), 3:04
(QUE) Bench (too many men/ice), 5:37 *served by Deadmarsh
(NYR) Beukeboom (hooking), 12:13
(QUE) Wolanin (high sticking), 17:46
(NYR) Messier (elbowing), 17:46

SECOND PERIOD:
4. NYR, Kovalev 4th (Nemchinov, Kypreos), 10:18
5. QUE, Sakic 4th (Leschyshyn, Corbet), 15:56 (sh)

Penalties:
(NYR) Nedved (charging), 5:41
(QUE) Lapointe (holding stick), 7:02
(QUE) Wolanin (holding), 7:20
(QUE) Nolan (roughing), 13:00
(QUE) Foote (roughing), 14:36

THIRD PERIOD:
6. QUE, Forsberg 2nd (Sakic, Clark), 5:34 (pp)

Penalties:
(NYR) Verbeek (holding), 5:03
(QUE) Simon (major-checking from behind, game misconduct), 7:29
(NYR) Leetch (tripping), 8:30

Shots on goal:
QUE: 8-9-11 = 28
NYR: 16-11-12 = 39

Power-play opportunities:
QUE: 1-of-4
NYR: 1-of-8

Goalies:
QUE: Thibault (16 shots-13 saves), Loss (1-2)
QUE: Fiset (0:00, 2nd period) (23 shots-22 saves)

NYR: Richter (28 shots-26 saves), Win (2-2)

Att: 18,200 (18.200)
Referee: Richard Trottier
Linesmen: Bob Hodges, Dan Schachte

Quebec, who was the leading scoring team in the NHL during the '95 season, produced just 2 power play goals in 25 opportunities in the QUE-NYR series, and scored just 1 PPG in 12 chances during the 3 games at Madison Square Garden.
In those 12 chances on Ranger ice, the Quebec power play manufactured a total of 13 shots. The Nordiques had 4 shots in their 4 power play opportunities in Game 6 listed above. Quebec scored on 24.2% of their regular season PP opportunities, which tied for 2nd in the league. However, on the road, where Quebec was less successful, the Nordiques scored on 22.1% of their PP chances. But in this series, Quebec's inability to take advantage of Ranger penalties became a decisive factor in the elimination of the first-place team in the Eastern Conference.

Mike Ricci had felt that his team's effort in Game 5 in Quebec had shown signs of improvement in a PP unit that scored 45 PPG's in the shortened 48-game season.
But the pinched nerve suffered by defenseman Uwe Krupp, who joined Bob Bassen as the two serious injury losses the Nordiques had to endure, did not help Quebec's attempt to improve in a decisive area.

svetovy poharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Thanks guys

Old
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

Man, the Nords really were starting to turn it around that season, Quebec really got screwed.

schoenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
I also have a question about the Nordiques. What was their fan base like, as in size, rivalries etc. I assume when they were around they competed heavily with the Canadiens in game and out of the game. When they left did all the fans become Canadien fans?

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Jansen View Post
I also have a question about the Nordiques. What was their fan base like, as in size, rivalries etc. I assume when they were around they competed heavily with the Canadiens in game and out of the game. When they left did all the fans become Canadien fans?
I think that it is safe to say that the Habs-Nordiques rivalry was the best the NHL has ever had. There was brawls there was great playoff series. (so i've seen on NHL classics) When Quebec left I really doubt that any fans turned to the Blue-Blanc-et-Rouge, that would be like the Leafs moving and the fans cheering for the Canadiens. (Never happen) I think most do not realize that this rivalry was not just about hockey, it was culture just as much as anything. For example the Nords were sponsered by Keefe and the Habs by Molson, so you can imagine going to a bar in Quebec City and ordering a Molson during the playoffs. Also I think this rivalry had a lot to do with language, the Nords from a very French dominated city and the Canadiens from a city where English is more widely accepted. (I saw that somewhere on TV) When you get down to the nitty, gritty moving this team had to be done (unfortunatly) but with the new CBA and a new building no doubt Quebec could survive, and I hope they do get a team again seeing this rivalry would be great for the game. Man do I ever miss the Nordiques, had a fantastic jersey too.

Quebec @ Montreal Game 7 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162EmBXXJfk

Quebec @ Montreal Game 6 1984 - Huge Brawl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UAvdsTarn8

Last edited by Mr BLUEandWHITE: 04-18-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I would love to have them back simply for the fact most of their bigoted journalists/personalities(villeneuve/bergeron) covering the Habs right now would go back.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
I think that it is safe to say that the Habs-Nordiques rivalry was the best the NHL has ever had. There was brawls there was great playoff series. (so i've seen on NHL classics) When Quebec left I really doubt that any fans turned to the Blue-Blanc-et-Rouge, that would be like the Leafs moving and the fans cheering for the Canadiens. (Never happen) I think most do not realize that this rivalry was not just about hockey, it was culture just as much as anything. For example the Nords were sponsered by Keefe and the Habs by Molson, so you can imagine going to a bar in Quebec City and ordering a Molson during the playoffs. Also I think this rivalry had a lot to do with language, the Nords from a very French dominated city and the Canadiens from a city where English is more widely accepted. (I saw that somewhere on TV) When you get down to the nitty, gritty moving this team had to be done (unfortunatly) but with the new CBA and a new building no doubt Quebec could survive, and I hope they do get a team again seeing this rivalry would be great for the game. Man do I ever miss the Nordiques, had a fantastic jersey too.

Quebec @ Montreal Game 7 1985

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162EmBXXJfk

Quebec @ Montreal Game 6 1984 - Huge Brawl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UAvdsTarn8
I would have thought that after the initial couple of years after the move they would prefer Canadiens to the Avalanche. Regardless, I wish they had stayed, I also loved their new logo if they were to stay. The wolf looked sweet, I do like their jersey's just not the N logo.

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 05:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1561
Quote:
It appears you got the answer to the question you posted but here is, in part, the info on AVH:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...t=ByName#photo

Toward the end of his career he also served as president of the Officials' Association, but the low point of his career came during the 1995 playoffs. In a Quebec-Rangers game, game four of the best-of-five, he disallowed a Quebec goal even though replays indicated the puck crossed the line before he blew the play dead. Quebec went on to lose the series, and the NHL issued a statement publicly saying the goal should have been allowed. It was a stunning and open show of criticism, and the entire officiating crew for the NHL was upset.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:55 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Jansen View Post
I would have thought that after the initial couple of years after the move they would prefer Canadiens to the Avalanche. Regardless, I wish they had stayed, I also loved their new logo if they were to stay. The wolf looked sweet, I do like their jersey's just not the N logo.
I never really loved the Canadiens like I did the Nords. I stayed an Avs fan but maybe it's because I'm not from Quebec. I guess it's different for us out here on the West Coast, but we didnt have a team that had been around since before we were born with established traditions and ties in the community thats "our" team the same one our parents and grandparents rooted for. I liked all the Canadian teams, but the Nords were the ones that I really started to cheer for and root for. When the team moves but the players and much of the organization stay the same its hard to stop cheering for them.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote