HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues defense corp nearly all first rounders

Old
04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
2ForRoughing*

vCash: 500
Blues defense corp nearly all first rounders

for what it's worth:

player - year/round/overall

Backman - '98/1/24

Brewer - '97/1/5

Jackman - '99/1/17

McKee - '95/1/14

Woywitka '01/1/27

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
for what it's worth:

player - year/round/overall

Backman - '98/1/24

Brewer - '97/1/5

Jackman - '99/1/17

McKee - '95/1/14

Woywitka '01/1/27
Add in Johnson either next year or the year after and we could very well have all 6.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
StLooFrenchy

If Lynch ever comes around add one more!

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy
If Lynch ever comes around add one more!
Lynch was a second-rounder (43rd overall)... and that's a mighty big "if."

At this point, I'd estimate the chances of Lynch ever seeing regular-season NHL ice as a member of the Blues' organization as being only slightly better than the chances of Shakira showing up at my door and begging me to run off with her to her own tropical island in the Caribbean...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
kimzey59

Lynch won't be a regular NHL'er; but Scott Jackson(35th overall pick(2nd round; but only by a slim margin) in 05) probably will be.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Add in Johnson either next year or the year after and we could very well have all 6.
I completely forgot about that. I wonder how many times that's happened in the NHL. It'd be pretty cool.

Old
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Lynch was a second-rounder (43rd overall)... and that's a mighty big "if."

At this point, I'd estimate the chances of Lynch ever seeing regular-season NHL ice as a member of the Blues' organization as being only slightly better than the chances of Shakira showing up at my door and begging me to run off with her to her own tropical island in the Caribbean...

P_B

My bad......wish you luck on Shakira, though....

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Checker*

Quote:
I completely forgot about that. I wonder how many times that's happened in the NHL. It'd be pretty cool.
Mr. Roughing...

add that 6th name!

Old
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
2ForRoughing*

uh, yeah. Nice. We have a defensive group that consists of 6 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

Ha!!!!!!!

Old
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing
uh, yeah. Nice. We have a defensive group that consists of 6 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

Ha!!!!!!!
I will go out on a limb here and claim that this is unprecedented in NHL history, since there has only been a draft for about 40 years, and I can't recall anyone ever having a defense composed of all first round picks in the almost 40 years that I've been watching hockey.

As to who goes, I'm going to ruin the "six first-rounders" defense before it even gets going, and say that the Blues will deal Backman at the draft as part of a package to move up into the top five and draft James van Riemsdyk.

P_B

Old
04-18-2007, 10:28 PM
SIU LAW

I know it is far fetched, but I wonder if they is any scenario where the Blues could package a defenseman along with something else (even another defenseman, e.g. Backman & Woywitka) and obtain Washington’s pick, WITHOUT losing the ninth overall. Could you imagine four first round picks?

I only bring this up because the word is that the Caps may deal the pick for help now. I have no idea what their needs are, but I have got wonder if they could use a couple of puck moving defensemen.

Last edited by SIU LAW: 04-18-2007 at 10:34 PM.
SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I will go out on a limb here and claim that this is unprecedented in NHL history, since there has only been a draft for about 40 years, and I can't recall anyone ever having a defense composed of all first round picks in the almost 40 years that I've been watching hockey.

As to who goes, I'm going to ruin the "six first-rounders" defense before it even gets going, and say that the Blues will deal Backman at the draft as part of a package to move up into the top five and draft James van Riemsdyk.

P_B

I had two dreams that the Blues drafted JVR long before any mock drafts around here, before he climbed as high as he has in the rankings, and before I even knew anything about him. It would be pretty wild if that came true.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Irish Blues

We officially have a glut at defense. Watch for this team to be active at the draft.

04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
SIU LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
We officially have a glut at defense. Watch for this team to be active at the draft.

Mmmmmmm glut.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:06 PM
SIU LAW

The Glut:

Brewer
Mckee
Salvador
Jackman
Backman
Woywitka
Pola’k
Walker
Johnson
(Wagner)

Watch us deal a couple away, and four defensive injuries hit.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Checker*

Quote:

Hell, we're set to have a glut at Peoria as well. With the late addition of Wagner, the fact that Polak will more than likely be there next year, and the (hopeful) signings of Gauthier and Jackson, we don't have much room anywhere. I wouldn't want the decision of trying to figure out which young guy to move.

PS:this is leaving Mojzis out of the picture as I thought he could be an UFA this offseason. If I'm mistaken, add another name

Old
04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
SIU LAW

I cannot wait to see some people stroke out if the Blues select Ellerby with the ninth. It will be like those old cartoons, steaming coming out of the ears and everything.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Hell, we're set to have a glut at Peoria as well. With the late addition of Wagner, the fact that Polak will more than likely be there next year, and the (hopeful) signings of Gauthier and Jackson, we don't have much room anywhere. I wouldn't want the decision of trying to figure out which young guy to move.

PS:this is leaving Mojzis out of the picture as I thought he could be an UFA this offseason. If I'm mistaken, add another name
Peoria could be starting off with Wagner, Pola'k, Jackson, Gauthier, Fitzgerald, Mackenzie, and Hellstrom ... and we still have Junland and Nikitin to be signed by June 2008.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Peoria could be starting off with Wagner, Pola'k, Jackson, Gauthier, Fitzgerald, Mackenzie, and Hellstrom ... and we still have Junland and Nikitin to be signed by June 2008.
This may not be the most popular idea on these boards given the fact that we are in "build from within"/rebuild mode, but could this package

Backman
Jackson
2 1sts in '07

land us the kind of elite young forward that we need. I mean it's a hefty price to pay, but it'd be from areas where we can afford to part with some assets. We'd still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and would still have great defensive depth. Plus if the Blues are serious about adding a big time free agent, this team could become even more exciting next season

Old
04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU LAW View Post
Mmmmmmm glut.
Mmmmmmmmm, draft.

Old
04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:

Ha!!!!!!!

And...Salvy!!!

I'd be more than willing to part with one of the first-rounders for some help up front.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
This may not be the most popular idea on these boards given the fact that we are in "build from within"/rebuild mode, but could this package

Backman
Jackson
2 1sts in '07

land us the kind of elite young forward that we need. I mean it's a hefty price to pay, but it'd be from areas where we can afford to part with some assets. We'd still have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds and would still have great defensive depth. Plus if the Blues are serious about adding a big time free agent, this team could become even more exciting next season
Pronger got Lupul (corrected), Smid, a 1st in '07, a 2nd in '08, and a conditional 1st in '08. Consider that when you're deciding what to offer for a "elite young forward". I'm not saying whether your offer is too high or too low, just saying that you should put it into perspective.

Additionally: if someone needs help out of cap hell, our offer should probably go down ... especially if there's few other teams who have cap space to "help out".

Last edited by Irish Blues: 04-19-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Checker*

Quote:
Pronger got Stoll, Smid, a 1st in '07, a 2nd in '08, and a conditional 1st in '08. Consider that when you're deciding what to offer for a "elite young forward". I'm not saying whether your offer is too high or too low, just saying that you should put it into perspective.

Additionally: if someone needs help out of cap hell, our offer should probably go down ... especially if there's few other teams who have cap space to "help out".

A couple of things on the Pronger trade though. First Lupul was the forward involved and not Stoll. Second, and more importantly to the point was that Pronger had asked for a trade and it got to the press. They HAD to move Pronger and that hurt his value a bit.

It's going to take something of an "overpayment" to land an impact player unless of course it's another situation where the player wants out and isn't afraid to say so. Otherwise, we're going to make a team an offer they can't refuse. I'm not saying that we should part with this package for just anyone, but if you can get a young number 1 center type or a franchise winger type, why not? The addition will generate fan interest, and increase the competitiveness of the team, both raising attendence/profit, and both increasing the likelihood that we'll be competitive next season.

Old
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
That's pretty much how I see Peoria's defense lining up for 2007-08. There's a possibility that Steve Birnstill might be brought back as well, but I doubt that'll happen.

If the Blues can add Soderberg, Drazenovic and Aaltonen to Peoria's lineup next year, and bring back Josh Soares, that should give the offense a boost, too. I'd also like to see Nikolai Lemtyugov signed, but I don't hold out much hope of ever getting any of the Russians over here...

P_B

Old
04-19-2007, 12:37 PM
MU_Beerman

Quote:

Backman
Jackson
2 1sts in '07

If we're giving that much up, I'd want Brad Richards, and that probably isn't enough to land him

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote