HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei K. Vs Jeff Carter

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 05:13 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Andrei K. Vs Jeff Carter

I know it is way too early to tell, but would Carter of been a better fit
at # 10 than our pick , who is talented but Carter`s size, strength and wheels , would make him a perfect fit as one of our top 2 centres.

he looks like a steal at # 10 , let`s see what he does the WJT.

We have plenty of skill with perezoghin, balej, higgins ,etc..

Old
12-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Démon Blond

If AS thought that AK was the best player available at the #10 spot, then I believe him. The thread of getting the bigger player instead of the BPA got us in the bottom of the barrel, go for the BPA!

Old
12-19-2003, 05:20 AM
Darz

Actuallt, I though when AS and the rest of them where walking up to the podium, they were going to select Dustin Brown.

I agree let's give Kastitsyn the benifit of the doubt. He definately has some HUGE upside.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:22 AM
Habs4ever

Are you crazy at 10th management would have been kiiled by media if they had made

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
I know it is way too early to tell, but would Carter of been a better fit
at # 10 than our pick , who is talented but Carter`s size, strength and wheels , would make him a perfect fit as one of our top 2 centres.

he looks like a steal at # 10 , let`s see what he does the WJT.

We have plenty of skill with perezoghin, balej, higgins ,etc..
A bold headed move by drafting Carter and hadn't drafted Kostitsyn next player on their list would be one of Parise, Jessimen last year was loaded with first line talent and with such a high pick why take easy approach and draft safe pick when you can maybe get your hands on franchise player with tenth pick its almost impossible for any team to land franchise player but I give them credit for taking that risk, and how could it be such a big risk when our decision makers were so confident at the time and were hoping he can make the team right out of training camp this year, flyers drafted Carter because they had another first round pick to burn and I don't think it was best move for them when Parise was available but they went for need, and as you know we need a star player in montreal not another second liner with high pick.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Minos

After last seasons draft, one of the scouts who puts together the Red Line Scouting Report was interviewed on a radio station in Toronto (Fan 590 sports radio). He said that he had Kostitsyn ranked as the #1 prospect in the 2003 draft and would have chosen him first overall if he was Pittsburgh's GM.

Out of all the teams, he thought Montreal had the 5th best picks (total) in the draft...Florida was rated #1 (I forget who came 2nd-4th).

More than anything else (including size!) we need players who can score goals (then surrond those players with size!).....Kostitsyn was the most explosive offensive player available especially with Zherdev and Vanek gone (and he comes without the baggage that both of them have). I think we're lucky he slipped to the 10th spot!

Old
12-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Way too early to be making judgements on if we should have picked someone else at that slot IMO.

Kasty, with our deep pool of good prospects, was well worth the risk.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Marchy79

Kastsitsyn is certainly worthy of putting on the CH in the not so distant future. In a few years, a guy drafted in the 7th round could turn out to be the best player for all we know

Kasty though is a great pick IMHO... I had this really odd dream last year (I was supporting to pick Steve Bernier before this dream) then out of nowhere, I had this dream of Kasty not being able to be stopped in a habs jersey (scored a 5 goal game in my dream!! ) The crowd went nuts!

Incidently, this is the second guy we drafted in the first round who's pure talent warrented a higher pick (the other being Mike Komisarek).

Add to this the canadiens doctor staff is around the tops in the NHL. We have players coming to town for our doctors (they have very tremendous reputations). If they say Kasty's game will not be affected by his attacks, I believe them... On top of this, he is 18 years old, and has been expected to run a country's Junior team since he was 16... This guy is pure gamebreaker... I have heard some wonderful comparisons... But Carter, who is not a bad player, simply does not have that extra gear Kastsitsyn has (or at least he has yet to show it)... An example was last year's U-18 WJC... when Kasty ripped the Canadien team for 3 goals, and upset them... Keep in mind that U-18 team had a lot of good players on the team... Belarus had Kasty and Zakharov.

Remember this quote: (THN's quote on Zakharov)

"He got 16 points in the U-18 tournament, but anybody could have gotten 16 points when Andrei Kastsitsyn is setting you up".

Old
12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Carter was a great pick !!
I think he could turn like Thornton !!
Kastitsyn is a PURE goal scorer...
both are project ... maybe less risky pick with Carter ...
Im still satisfied with this pick !

Old
12-20-2003, 03:51 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
Carter was a great pick !!
I think he could turn like Thornton !!
Kastitsyn is a PURE goal scorer...
both are project ... maybe less risky pick with Carter ...
Im still satisfied with this pick !
On Draft Day I wanted Montreal to select Parise. I thought he was the real deal. A consistent 30 goal scorer

Old
12-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Asgalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
On Draft Day I wanted Montreal to select Parise. I thought he was the real deal. A consistent 30 goal scorer
So do I...he is a pure offensive threat... I believe much more in Zack Parise (I will keep a close eye on him at the world junior tournement). But now that we have AK, even if i am not impressed so far, i'll give the guy the chance. And hope... I dont think we are so skilled on offence (i dont think we have a real 1st liner material in hamilton), we need a real first liner and I hope he'll fill that hole.

Old
12-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Duff88

I really wanted D. Brown but also was quite happy with the pick. I still am, but I'll keep a close eye on Dustin's developement in LA.

Old
12-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Minos

Going into the draft the player I liked the most was Anthony Stewart, but he would have been a stretch at 10th OV and no chance of him slipping into the 2nd round. Florida *stole* him with the 25th pick!

This guy has faced more problems than anyone should ever have to face, and he's always fought through hard times and has excelled at every level of hockey. What other people use as excuses for failing, he's used as reason to succeed. It remains to be seen if he's got top line skills (probably not, but maybe) but he's a natural leader and could be a Wendel Clark type player.

Old
12-21-2003, 11:07 AM
J F M

Going into the draft I was afraid that they were going to choose Getzlaf. I was hoping that they would choose Dion Phaneuf. I really didn't think that Kasty would have been available. I LIKE the pick because it was so out of character from the typical "safe" 1st round Hab pick. Andrei has "home run" potential written all over him. BUT now having seen Team Canada's exhibition games I would have been satisfied with Getzlaf or Carter being chosen. I was under the impression that Getzlaf had skating issues. I see now that it's not the case. I've liked Carter everytime I've seen him.

Closed Thread