HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News on Brisebois and Theodore from Montreal

Old
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
News on Brisebois and Theodore from Montreal

Hi guys,

Some news that you probably already know but seems quite official now. Journalists close to some people in Denver and/or with the players involved are saying that:

1- Breezer was told that the Avs are letting him go, not interested in having him back

2- There's 4 teams interested in Theo but all 4 want the Avs to buy him out first.

If you didn't know or if you're interested....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
jaems

1) No doubt. I think most of us figured that would happen.

2) So basically, the Avs get nothing from that? Pfft!

Thanks for the info though.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
rozier24

Send a message via MSN to rozier24
So I guess the trade for a bag of pucks still isn't available?

rozier24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Bam Beet*

Though the first one was kind of obvious, I'm still glad to hear a report saying it because you never know what the Avs brass may be thinking.

Now for Theodore, having four teams interested in him is a good thing. Even if they want us to buy him out first, this still means that people actually want him so maybe, just maybe we might be able to trade him for a pick or something (maybe on Draft Day?).

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hi guys,

Some news that you probably already know but seems quite official now. Journalists close to some people in Denver and/or with the players involved are saying that:

1- Breezer was told that the Avs are letting him go, not interested in having him back

2- There's 4 teams interested in Theo but all 4 want the Avs to buy him out first.

If you didn't know or if you're interested....
Thanks for the update- that's good news about Theo. There was no way anybody was trading for him before a buyout, but I think he needs to go and having the knowledge that he'll quickly find another home will hopefully make the decision a little easier for Avs management.

AvsinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:36 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I wonder if 2 of the teams interested in Theodore are Boston and Florida. I've heard a lot of rumors about those two particular teams wanting to acquire some goaltending.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
HoustonHockeyNut

Do you think the Avs could trade Theo if they agreed to pay part of his current contract, a la Jagr going from the Caps to the Rangers? It might not be that much more expensive than buying him out, plus we could get a little something in return.

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:42 PM
XX
SOS

Phoenix wants Theo. Gretzky made some not so subtle overtures to Theo whenever he was asked about him. Just not with that pricetag. However if you will take Derek Morris and Scatchard, Ill take Theo... and Svatos

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoyBoy View Post
Do you think the Avs could trade Theo if they agreed to pay part of his current contract, a la Jagr going from the Caps to the Rangers? It might not be that much more expensive than buying him out, plus we could get a little something in return.
Not allowed under the new CBA, I think. If I'm wrong IB will quickly correct me.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Phoenix wants Theo. Gretzky made some not so subtle overtures to Theo whenever he was asked about him. Just not with that pricetag. However if you will take Derek Morris and Scatchard, Ill take Theo... and Svatos
We've been down this road before......

I'd do that trade.... if you add Ballard

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

I'd take Morris and CUJO straight up for Theo.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
Not allowed under the new CBA, I think. If I'm wrong IB will quickly correct me.
No, you are correct.

Old
04-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

However there is the possibility of trading Theo on reentry waivers.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
That Theo+Svatos for Morris+Scatchard proposal got kicked around quite a bit during the trade deadline. I still see it as a pretty fair deal- although at this point I'd rather pay Theo's buyout and spend the money on the D-man and grinding winger we really want- not the pedestrian Morris and overpaid Scatchard. I also think Svatos is primed for a bounce-back performance so he's worth more then his trade value would indicate. Even if he doesn't recapture his rookie magic and ends up in the 25-25-50 area I'd be very glad that we kept him.

Old
04-19-2007, 12:46 AM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
However there is the possibility of trading Theo on reentry waivers.
If it's reentry waivers I don't think its a trade, I believe we just lose Theo for nothing and still pay half his salary/cap hit.

While this would still be an improved situation over a buyout, the damper on this plan is that our hand will be forced on buying him out before we can explore the interest in him via re-entry waivers (can only be done during regular season play- I believe). If I was another team interested in Theo at a reduced rate, I'd probably want him cheaper then half-price and I'd wouldn't want to deal with the distraction of adding him just as the season began.

Old
04-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Drury_Sakic

2 points...

1) I remeber reading an article somewhere that the NHL was considering modification of the CBA to allow some (very limited) form of allowing a club to pick up part of a contract of a traded player(like 1-2 million per team over the life of the CBA) Dunno if that went anywhere.

2) Is there any chance that a team would do a seemingly unrelated trade (like the Yotes sending a conditional pick/prospect for a no-name minor leaguer(AHL'er for life) from the Avs) Kinda an under the table hand shake. The Yotes "decide" that pick should be a 4th Rounder if Theo signs on, or if he signs elswhere the Avs simply get another No-name AHLer in return.... i.e. some form of payment for the Avs buying out Theodore.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:15 AM
FissionFire

No team will trade a pick to entice a buyout. Once he's bought out, he can sign anywhere he likes. Theodore is untradeable because his contract is enormous. MAYBE at the deadline next season (a la Biron) you can unload him to a team who wants to try him out and think about extending him. Right now, you'd have to take on an equally useless player with a hefty contract if you wanted to move him. Better off buying him out or riding him on the pine and hoping for a deadline deal.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
No team will trade a pick to entice a buyout. Once he's bought out, he can sign anywhere he likes. Theodore is untradeable because his contract is enormous. MAYBE at the deadline next season (a la Biron) you can unload him to a team who wants to try him out and think about extending him. Right now, you'd have to take on an equally useless player with a hefty contract if you wanted to move him. Better off buying him out or riding him on the pine and hoping for a deadline deal.
Thanx for the info, tips.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:40 AM
tucker3434

1: ok no surprise
2: ok big deal. That doesn't help us for crap. I'd rather not buy him out and let him be our backup than let him attempt to bounce back at another organization at no cost to them.

Thanks for the info though

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:45 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Thanx for the info, tips.
Give it a rest. You are like the anti-troll, people make legit posts and you troll them for it. Christ.

Old
04-19-2007, 02:45 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
However soem players have been traded using the reentry waiver. marchment springs to mind.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Give it a rest. You are like the anti-troll, people make legit posts and you troll them for it. Christ.
Your post in the Budaj thread is legit?

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:29 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
doesnt re-entry waivers put us on the hook for half his salary? so we wouldnt even save much more than a straight buyout.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:55 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
However soem players have been traded using the reentry waiver. marchment springs to mind.
A player can't be traded if they are claimed on re-entry waivers. If you place them on waivers to demote them and they get claimed, you can rescind the waiver and then try to trade them. I don't think you can rescind a re-entry waiver, and even if you could once the player was traded he'd still have to clear re-entry waivers to be recalled. Often a team will place a player on re-entry waivers when another team wants to claim them (a la Nedved) to reduce the cap/salary hit.

As for Marchment, do you mean Todd Marchant and the Anaheim thing? If so, the situation there was different. Columbus placed him on waivers, and he cleared, but never assigned him to the AHL. As such, he was removed from the roster for a short time. Failing to trade him (he had a NTC) the Blue Jackets simply placed him on waivers again (not re-entry waivers since he never went to the AHL or played in Europe) and Anaheim claimed him. Since he was claimed on waivers, not re-entry waivers, Anaheim absorbed the entire salary burden and cap hit. He was never actually traded, just claimed.

Old
04-19-2007, 06:11 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
doesnt re-entry waivers put us on the hook for half his salary? so we wouldnt even save much more than a straight buyout.
For how many season would that be?

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote