HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Good & Bad of a long layoff

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2007, 11:38 AM
  #1
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Good & Bad of a long layoff

Assuming the Rangers won't start the next series until the middle of next week, I was thinking about the positives and negatives of being off for that long. I think the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but there are some things the coaches must consider and work to offset with the team being off so many days.

Positives:

1. We definitely advance!
2. We came out of the series pretty healthy, I think, and now there are no more game opportunities for someone to get hurt. HUGE positive.
3. While not wishing injury on anyone from any other team, the teams that are still battling must be concerned with losing a good player even if they advance and have to start their next series right away.
4. The players who were injured, like Rachunek, and others like Hossa, Straka, Jagr and Shanahan who were nursing minor problems, have another week to get healthy.
5. Hank gets time off to rest after a long three months of playing almost non-stop.

Negatives:

1. The team has been on such a roll for the last three months, the coaches must be very careful that the team keeps it's 'edge', or at least regains it, when the next series starts. As a fan, it's almost a shame we're not going to see Ranger hockey for a week.

There are precedents both ways, of course. Last year the Devils had a long time off after beating us, and took a while to get started against Carolina. I heard lots of Devil fans saying the layoff hurt.

Of course, we had a four game sweep of our own in 1994, and played very well right from the beginning of the Cap series. If I remember correctly, game one of the Cap series was a full eight days after the Islander series ended.

The coaching staff is going to have to walk a fine line between gearing the team up so they're ready for the next round, and not working them too hard so they get worn out, and get the rest they need.

Should be interesting, but the only thing we know for sure is if the Rangers start the next series well and go on to win, people will credit the time off. And if they start the next series poorly and go on to lose, people will blame the time off.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:45 AM
  #2
Silly Goose
Registered User
 
Silly Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
The only negative is that the guys may get out of the rythem that they are in. Other than that, there is nothing negative about it.

Silly Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
  #3
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Typing Guy View Post
The only negative is that the guys may get out of the rythem that they are in. Other than that, there is nothing negative about it.
That's pretty much why I listed that as the only negative.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
The coaching staff and vets won't let the team get complacent.

Guys will get to rest some due to age (Shanny, Jagr) and some due to being a bit banged up (Hossa).

It will give them time to work on the PP and PK.

It will give the coaching staff time to scout the Sabres and Sens.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
  #5
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,274
vCash: 500
The extra time nursing injuries and resting sore bodies is worth the risk of having the team "laying off", as it's - as I see it - purely psychological. They all know what to do and what they have been doing the last 3 months.

Too bad we don't know exactly which team we're playing so we could watch them extra carefully for a week. Our players can relax and watch some great playoff hockey.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
  #6
DontStaal
Registered User
 
DontStaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
we did it in 94 we can do it again

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
  #7
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Also, I think the lesson from last year's Devils meltdown will not be lost on Renney et al. The Debbies went into that series thinking they were invincibile with Brodeur in net, and a hungrier Hurricanes team took the fight to them, and won. We will be the underdog until we win the Cup, and that's what Renney will remind his players. Every one above us has the burden of expectation. Every game we play from now forward is gravy, and we're better for it.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:20 PM
  #8
NYRchick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Assuming the Rangers won't start the next series until the middle of next week, I was thinking about the positives and negatives of being off for that long. I think the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but there are some things the coaches must consider and work to offset with the team being off so many days.

Positives:

1. We definitely advance!
2. We came out of the series pretty healthy, I think, and now there are no more game opportunities for someone to get hurt. HUGE positive.
3. While not wishing injury on anyone from any other team, the teams that are still battling must be concerned with losing a good player even if they advance and have to start their next series right away.
4. The players who were injured, like Rachunek, and others like Hossa, Straka, Jagr and Shanahan who were nursing minor problems, have another week to get healthy.
5. Hank gets time off to rest after a long three months of playing almost non-stop.

Negatives:

1. The team has been on such a roll for the last three months, the coaches must be very careful that the team keeps it's 'edge', or at least regains it, when the next series starts. As a fan, it's almost a shame we're not going to see Ranger hockey for a week.

There are precedents both ways, of course. Last year the Devils had a long time off after beating us, and took a while to get started against Carolina. I heard lots of Devil fans saying the layoff hurt.

Of course, we had a four game sweep of our own in 1994, and played very well right from the beginning of the Cap series. If I remember correctly, game one of the Cap series was a full eight days after the Islander series ended.

The coaching staff is going to have to walk a fine line between gearing the team up so they're ready for the next round, and not working them too hard so they get worn out, and get the rest they need.

Should be interesting, but the only thing we know for sure is if the Rangers start the next series well and go on to win, people will credit the time off. And if they start the next series poorly and go on to lose, people will blame the time off.
Great job. You've pretty much summed up how I feel about the pros and cons of sweeping this series.I wonder if the coaches would consider playing simulated games( sort of like blue and white teams) within the team,as they do during training camp,just to keep them fresh,and in game shape,so that they don't lose that edge. This way,they can still work on the PP and PK as if in game situations,without the rough stuff. What do you guys think?

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:41 PM
  #9
Speedtrials
Registered User
 
Speedtrials's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alphabit City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Also, it is very likely that the Sabres and Sens will each be finishing their series up in 5 games as well, giving them a pretty decent layoff as well.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:47 PM
  #10
NYRchick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
Also, it is very likely that the Sabres and Sens will each be finishing their series up in 5 games as well, giving them a pretty decent layoff as well.

Well,I'm listening to 1050 now,and Don's talking Rangers and hockey in general(since you can't get Mike and Dog to talk hockey for more than 2 minutes,not that they know the game anyway),he says that the Rangers would either play next Thursday or Friday.That's a pretty long layoff.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
  #11
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Second Round window is 04/25 - 05/09, according to the NHL. I don't think they will force the NYR to wait almost 10 days to play, especially if the Sabres & Sens wrap up their series in 5 games.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
  #12
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,435
vCash: 500
good-the rangers won

bad-nothing

this is stupid..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:37 PM
  #13
VEGASRANGERFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Isn't it true that the only other 2 times we swept a series we made the cup finals?

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
  #14
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN View Post
Isn't it true that the only other 2 times we swept a series we made the cup finals?
Yup...1972 and 1994

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:35 PM
  #15
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Rangers will still be underdogs in the next series. People will say they beat a weak team who was actually the #5 team in a weak division. So as long as we're the underdogs we're fine .

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
  #16
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
The A Train injured in Game 5 for Ottawa

Thats why finishing a team as soon as possible is good

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
  #17
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
How have the Rangers done after long (4 or more day breaks) in the Regular Season?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
  #18
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Last year, rest did not help teams win their next round series as the team with more rest went 0-6.

2005-2006 playoffs (number of games for each team to win previous series in brackets)

Conference Semi-finals
Buf(6) def Ott(5)
Car(6) def NJ(4)
Edm(6) def SJ(5)
Ana(7) def Col(5)

Conference Finals
Car(5) def Buf(5)
Edm(6) def Ana(4)

Stanley Cup Final
Car(7) def Edm(5)

More likely an anomaly because since 2000 it has been about 50-50.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
  #19
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,697
vCash: 500
In my opinion, when you're hot, you want to play as soon as possible. The log layoff only helps if some of your best players were beat up and needed some time to heal.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.