HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Doug MacLean Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Kinger1

vCash: 500
I hope that the next GM keeps the tradition of having practices open to the public. Most other team's fans don't have that luxury.

Old
04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF101519 View Post
No, just a friend who hates to see his friend get fired. And for the things he has done for this city, it is absolutley absurd how much bashing there is of him... His players respected him and so should the fans. ...
Word traveled quickly among Blue Jackets players and throughout the NHL.

"I'm shocked," left winger Jody Shelley said. "I mean, you hear the rumors. You hear people talking, but you think it's just talk.

"It's a sad day for me, and for a lot of guys in the dressing room. Doug's done a lot for all of us. He gave me a job. And I'll never forget that.

"He's been right out there in everything, front and center. He's made all the draft picks and all the big moves, and he's been passionate about it all the way. It's going to be weird to not have him around anymore."
Jodys probably upset because a new GM will realize that enforcers are obsolete now.

Old
04-19-2007, 07:04 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-Lebowski View Post
Jodys probably upset because a new GM will realize that enforcers are obsolete now.
I think George Parros and Brian Burke would beg to differ.

Old
04-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
There comes a point where "stay the course" becomes a Death March. Maclean was our pied piper, the fugue had to be silenced.

To the Maclean Clan: Slan agus beannacht.
That's nice of you Pluck, very classy.

I'm a MacLean myself, and we are Scots. Irish gaelic isn't our thing though.

Good thought though dude

Old
04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I think George Parros and Brian Burke would beg to differ.
Burke also gave the Avs a second for him. That's not going to help your case much.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Shore View Post
Burke also gave the Avs a second for him. That's not going to help your case much.
Doesn't really hurt it either since the Ducks, despite leading the league in PIM, won the Pacific Division.

Shelley is a convenient whipping boy, but a fourth line enforcer is not the primary problem on this team.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Doesn't really hurt it either since the Ducks, despite leading the league in PIM, won the Pacific Division.

Shelley is a convenient whipping boy, but a fourth line enforcer is not the primary problem on this team.
They won the division because of their defense and emerging forwards like Getzlaf and Perry. Parros had very little to do with it.

You know, on winning teams, the fourth line kicks in at least 20 goals a year. As long as Shelley is around to sandbag the fourth line, this team will not win. This team still needs bottom 6 depth.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:28 PM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Shore View Post
They won the division because of their defense and emerging forwards like Getzlaf and Perry. Parros had very little to do with it.

You know, on winning teams, the fourth line kicks in at least 20 goals a year. As long as Shelley is around to sandbag the fourth line, this team will not win. This team still needs bottom 6 depth.
The bottom 6 or even 3 are hardly the reason we are not even sniffing the playoffs. Yes we need a bit more production out of them, but we need the superstars to be superstars.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV CBJ Fan View Post
Why is it so hard for you to believe that Doug would have someone around willing to go to bat for him? Doug was a stand up guy with a real passion for the game. He gave 100% and poured his heart and soul into the CBJ. If you doubt what it took out of him, go back and look at pictures of him from 2000 and compare them to what he looks like today. This job took a lot out of him.

For Crisakes Pub, I know it was hard to deal with the losing but the man just lost his job. You act like he drove out to your house and shot your dog or something. Show a little class. You can bash and crow all you want but that is not the point of this thread.
Heart and soul into the CBJ? Ill agree 100 %...but we needed more of his brain.

Yea...he lost his job...so what...he is a freakin millionaire. Its not some guy making $9/hr who's company just shut down. I dont feel sorry at all for Doug. If he made better player personnel decisions then he would still be here. He knows WAY more about hockey and players than I do...ill admit...but I would put Macster up against him any day of the week...and thats not good for MacLean.

Bottom line is in pro sports you win...or your out. Especially in the Salary cap leagues.

I appreciate his fan interaction and what he did at the beginning selling the game to the fans. But winning is winning...and we didnt do enough of it.

Old
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:

Yea...he lost his job...so what...he is a freakin millionaire. Its not some guy making $9/hr who's company just shut down. I dont feel sorry at all for Doug. If he made better player personnel decisions then he would still be here. He knows WAY more about hockey and players than I do...ill admit...but I would put Macster up against him any day of the week...and thats not good for MacLean.

Bottom line is in pro sports you win...or your out. Especially in the Salary cap leagues.

I appreciate his fan interaction and what he did at the beginning selling the game to the fans. But winning is winning...and we didnt do enough of it.
Can't argue with the logic of that and that is why we are looking for a new GM. Thanks for finding something positive to say after all.

Old
04-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Casework

So much for "appreciation"...

How about we drop the conspiracy theories and keep the bickering from bleeding over into another thread...

Old
04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

while i understand its time that he move on, its still a bummer to see him go

he seemed like a great guy (to the media, i obviously dont know him personally) but he did a lot for this market.

good luck dougie!

Old
04-20-2007, 06:42 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonFreeman View Post
It's not Doug. Just because someone is defending Doug doesn't mean that the person is him. And why do you even care?

Funny, the man did more for hockey at every level in Columbus than anyone who posts on this board, and people want to stone him to death. Sometimes it's time to move on, and the man never did anything personally to a single fan of the team. In fact, he helped more people understand and come to love the game of hockey than would have otherwise. He was a great President, and a mediocre GM. I don't think he was the worst GM in the league, and he obviously was not one of the best. But the work he did as President was magnificent.

He'll be working somewhere else in the league soon enough, and I'll bet if he gets another GM job he'll take that team to the playoffs. Hell, there are a couple teams that could use a guy like Doug as President. And Doug haters can go ahead and get their shots in, the man just got a $1.6 million pay check. He's laughing all the way to the bank at the people who hated him. Yeah, I'm sure he's extremely upset to lose his job, but at least he can take solace in the fact that the fans who hated him probably have never sniffed that kind of money in their lives.
It was a $800,000 buyout...FYI. According to the Dispatch.

Old
04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
So much for "appreciation"...

How about we drop the conspiracy theories and keep the bickering from bleeding over into another thread...
Well stated Casework. Those other posts will be deleted.

Old
04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet, it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world. A world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one. And, we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most . . . human.

/Live long and prosper ****er.

Old
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet, it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world. A world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one. And, we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most . . . human.

/Live long and prosper ****er.
Can I get an AMEN

Old
04-20-2007, 10:50 AM
bizzz*

MacLean is a great intertaning guy and not the worst NHL GM. Clarke and Waddell ruined their franchaises, while DM at least saved all the youngsters for the future runs to the Cup. He's made some mistakes and paid his prise for it, but I wish him only the best in the future. All who blaming him for signing Cassels probably forgot that The Hockey News at some point named his duo with Sanderson "Gretzky and Kurry of Ohio" and they created some magic plays before Cassels got injured.
His Denis trade was a complete steal. His waivers pick ups have brought to the Jackets Hainsey and Malhotra. He couldnt fix the coaching problem, but nobody is perfect in this world.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
DM at least saved all the youngsters for the future runs to the Cup.
That's a good point. Whoever comes in will have pretty much every (significant/promising) 1-3 round pick ever made by the Jackets. We haven't even really given up a whole lot of picks over the years, have we? The new GM will benefit a lot, whether it's because they play for us or have appeal to another team, from Doug's "stubborn" will to hold onto those players.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
Whoever comes in will have pretty much every (significant/promising) 1-3 round pick ever made by the Jackets.
Except for Tim Jackman and Kiel Mcleod.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Except for Tim Jackman and Kiel Mcleod.

They're not significant/promising picks.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
They're not significant/promising picks.
I believe you are forgetting their middle names

Tim "Significant" Jackman and Kiel "Promising" McLeod

Old
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
MacLean is a great intertaning guy and not the worst NHL GM. Clarke and Waddell ruined their franchaises, while DM at least saved all the youngsters for the future runs to the Cup. He's made some mistakes and paid his prise for it, but I wish him only the best in the future. All who blaming him for signing Cassels probably forgot that The Hockey News at some point named his duo with Sanderson "Gretzky and Kurry of Ohio" and they created some magic plays before Cassels got injured.
His Denis trade was a complete steal. His waivers pick ups have brought to the Jackets Hainsey and Malhotra. He couldnt fix the coaching problem, but nobody is perfect in this world.
I know I mentioned Cassels but I wasn't blaming Doug for anything other than his typical sales job that he was a #1 center and although Cassels had a productive year or two here he was not a true #1 center...and neither was Hrdina or Marchant.... Feds is really the only true guy I thought would be that #1 guy that he brought in and that just hasn't worked out unfortunately.

So call me guarded when he was talking about bringing in a #1 guy this offseason.

Also very good point about Doug not mortaging our future to save his own skin. I am very appreciative of him for that.

Old
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Exactly, I don't see anyone questioning his passion, dedication to the job, or his work ethic. I like the guy, I really do but, the players he brought here, simply aren't winning games.

Foote
Fedorov
Klesla
Modin
Zherdev
and so on...

None of these guys have delivered as advertised. Some are overpaid, some are underachievers. Yes the player should be responsible too, but part of being a boss is being accountable for your workers.

Here is the cold reality of the Maclean years...........don't expect a huge turn around next season regardless of who is running the show, because Foote and Fedorov's contracts do not give us much room to manuever in the UFA market, nor are those 2 guys very desirable in the trade market right now. Thats 12 million in cap space eaten up by two guys that were pretty much invisible on the ice this season.

The team you saw this season, is pretty much the team we'll put on the ice next, with a few minor changes.

Old
04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
To me, 172 wins, 258 losses, and 33 ties (as well as a bunch of OT losses) says it all - game, set, and match.
It's not really that fair to look it all from the statistics, because we are talking about an expansion team here which started from zero.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Actualy if you watch the playoffs, ( i know not too many people around here know what that is ) you would see that enforcers are far from obsolete.

Having said that, Id be fine with seeing Shelley being a healthy scratch if it meant we had a full roster of 20 players busting their tails every night earning their spots and giving 110% on a consistent basis.

Closed Thread