HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Budaj pulls a "Roy"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2007, 02:03 AM
  #1
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Budaj pulls a "Roy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC08is1Fitg

Not sure if this has been posted before. But it's worth making a thread about it anyday. Budaj and the Providence goaltender (Toivonen) start a fight during what looked like an intermission (2004-2005 season). Budaj used to wear number 35. I love how Peter pounded on the guy. He was a friggin' shark on ice. The crowd was going wild! I also love the fact that an ice care-taker (or equipment manager) came to his defense. This is unreal!


Last edited by fcbarcelona: 04-22-2007 at 06:18 PM.
fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:06 AM
  #2
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Is that even him? If it is,

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:10 AM
  #3
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Pulls a Roy? You mean he got beat to a bloody pulp by a guy barely up to his shoulders?

Sucks to be him.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:14 AM
  #4
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Pulls a Roy? You mean he got beat to a bloody pulp by a guy barely up to his shoulders?

Sucks to be him.
Yeah, I'd hate to be the greatest goalie of all time. That would just suck.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:16 AM
  #5
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Yeah, I'd hate to be the greatest goalie of all time. That would just suck.
Agreed. Being dead like Sawchuk surely would suck, althought I don't see what your statement has to do with the rest of the thread.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:18 AM
  #6
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Agreed. Being dead like Sawchuk surely would suck.
Roy's the greatest, you're just jealous.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:19 AM
  #7
Kaizer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moscow , Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Is that even him? If it is,
Yes, this happened during lockout season.

Kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:20 AM
  #8
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Agreed. Being dead like Sawchuk surely would suck, althought I don't see what your statement has to do with the rest of the thread.
What kind of a post is this??? Being deceased sucks (knocks on wood)? Got anymore pearls of wisdom?

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:22 AM
  #9
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
What kind of a post is this??
Don't worry, he's from 8 mile.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:34 AM
  #10
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
What kind of a post is this??? Being deceased sucks (knocks on wood)? Got anymore pearls of wisdom?
Why are you asking me? I was simply agreeing with the other poster who said it would suck being the greatest goalie of all time, who happens to be dead, having died rather young after living a very rough life. He died at 41 after a night out when he landed on teammate Ron Stewart's knee. Had to have his gall bladder removed before dying not long after of internal injuries. No, I certainly wouldn't want to be him. He also had something akin to a mental breakdown at 27. He had a chronic back injury and some chest problems from a car crash. Before masks, he took a Bobby Hull slapper flush in the face. Even after getting a mask he had to get his face pieced together after Bob Pulford skated over it. Not exactly a road you would choose to travel.....

I'm sure I can provide more info if you'd like, but that should give a general idea. Here's his biography if you'd like to know more: Link
Here's his career numbers: Link - Not bad considering the the amount of HOFers he played with and against in those days.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:44 AM
  #11
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
You're a fountain of knowledge. Smart-mouth too. I'm mostly unimpressed. Also, the stat I only care about is 3 Conn Smyths...NHL record. Interesting story about Sawchuk from a medical perspective. I'm also glad to see a home-town legend to have accomplished a lot.

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:47 AM
  #12
tucker3434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Why are you asking me? I was simply agreeing with the other poster who said it would suck being the greatest goalie of all time, who happens to be dead, having died rather young after living a very rough life. He died at 41 after a night out when he landed on teammate Ron Stewart's knee. Had to have his gall bladder removed before dying not long after of internal injuries. No, I certainly wouldn't want to be him. He also had something akin to a mental breakdown at 27. He had a chronic back injury and some chest problems from a car crash. Before masks, he took a Bobby Hull slapper flush in the face. Even after getting a mask he had to get his face pieced together after Bob Pulford skated over it. Not exactly a road you would choose to travel.....

I'm sure I can provide more info if you'd like, but that should give a general idea. Here's his biography if you'd like to know more: Link
Here's his career numbers: Link - Not bad considering the the amount of HOFers he played with and against in those days.
If you're talking about the fight I'm thinking about, we're you watching the same fight? It was even I'll admit, and Roy should have won but nobody got their ass kicked. Oh and who has the most career wins?

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:51 AM
  #13
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,572
vCash: 500
Wow not selling out play off games has made someone testy.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:13 AM
  #14
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
You're a fountain of knowledge. Smart-mouth too. I'm mostly unimpressed. Also, the stat I only care about is 3 Conn Smyths...NHL record. Interesting story about Sawchuk from a medical perspective. I'm also glad to see a home-town legend to have accomplished a lot.
The Conn Smythe wasn't first awarded until 1965. By that time, Sawchuk was 37 years old. Would he have won 3 if they had awarded it during his entire career? I have no idea. I'm pretty certain he'd have taken the 1951-52 one home with his 8-0 0.63GAA 4SO playoff performance (there were only 2 rounds back then). Beyond that, it's impossible to say with any certaintly. Certain trophies are hard to compare across eras. The Vezina, for example, prior to 1982 was awarded to any goalie playing 25 or more games for the team with fewest goals allowed during the season (essentially, the modern Jennings Trophy) and not the best individual goaltender. Under that system, this years Vezina winners would be Nicklas Backstrom and Manny Fernandez. You can see why it was changed and a new award created. Sawchuk played in the era of 70 game seasons and maximum 14 game playoff runs, so raw numbers can't project well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
If you're talking about the fight I'm thinking about, we're you watching the same fight? It was even I'll admit, and Roy should have won but nobody got their ass kicked. Oh and who has the most career wins?
Roy does with 551 wins. He had a career regular season winning percentage of .535 compared to only .460 and 447 wins for Sawchuk. Sawchuk edges him out in the GAA slightly though with a 2.50 to Roy's 2.54. Sawchuk does own the NHL career record with 103 shutouts in 971 games, a huge margin over Roy's 66 in 1029 games. Interestingly enough, Roy only reached 40 wins once in his career, and never played over 68 games in a season. Sawchuk won 44 games in back-to-back seasons while playing 70 games each time (seasons were only 70 games then). He also hit 40 wins in 68 games one other time. Just another example of how different eras are hard to compare. Sawchuk played in the era where a power play was 2 minutes, no matter how many times a team scored. His career also spanned the glory days of Jacques Plante and the Canadiens dynasty, meaning he'd play 20% of his 70 games against them. In fact, 20% of his schedule every season was against one of the "Original 6". It wasn't until he was 39 in 1967-68 that the NHL expanded to 12 teams. Does that skew the stats? Maybe, but it just helps illustrate how hard it is to compare just numbers across different eras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Wow not selling out play off games has made someone testy.
Bleh. As long as Ilitch insists on trying to to gouge close to $200 for a decent seat in round 1, he can have his empty seats. I could care less if his precious sellout streak was intact or not. Frankly, I'd just as soon drop that stupid Hockeytown marketing gimmick so that I don't have to listen to stupid crap from other teams over his trademarked ego-boost.


Last edited by FissionFire: 04-19-2007 at 03:34 AM.
FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:27 AM
  #15
DRL
Streak killers!
 
DRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Whats funny is vernon landed one, yes ONE nice shot that happened to cut roy, if you watch the fight Roy clearly lands more punches and all the while only able to use one hand, as his glove was still on, whereas vernon could switch hit. roy also injured his shoulder before the fight when shanny clotheslined him, roy did quite well considering the circumstances.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:38 AM
  #16
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
Whats funny is vernon landed one, yes ONE nice shot that happened to cut roy, if you watch the fight Roy clearly lands more punches and all the while only able to use one hand, as his glove was still on, whereas vernon could switch hit. roy also injured his shoulder before the fight when shanny clotheslined him, roy did quite well considering the circumstances.
All true. Problem is no matter how much you beat a guy up, if you are the bloody one at the end it's always viewed as a loss. Doesn't really matterin the long run who wins or loses a fight between goalies anyhow. That was bad in the twin-size-mattress-pad days where every goalie looked like an extra for a Michelin commercial. It's amazing they could even get close enough together without their pads coming in the way.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:43 AM
  #17
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The Conn Smythe wasn't first awarded until 1965. By that time, Sawchuk was 37 years old. Would he have won 3 if they had awarded it during his entire career? I have no idea. I'm pretty certain he'd have taken the 1951-52 one home with his 8-0 0.63GAA 4SO playoff performance (there were only 2 rounds back then). Beyond that, it's impossible to say with any certaintly. Certain trophies are hard to compare across eras. The Vezina, for example, prior to 1982 was awarded to any goalie playing 25 or more games for the team with fewest goals allowed during the season (essentially, the modern Jennings Trophy) and not the best individual goaltender. Under that system, this years Vezina winners would be Nicklas Backstrom and Manny Fernandez. You can see why it was changed and a new award created. Sawchuk played in the era of 70 game seasons and maximum 14 game playoff runs, so raw numbers can't project well either.
He also played in an era where 6 teams competed for the Stanley Cup (and only three teams dominated: Wings, Habs and Leafs). Winning a Conn Smyth nowadays might be more appreciated given how difficult it has been teams to repeat. More elite teams to go through and more 1st round upsets to survive. Roy's Cup victories also can be said to be especially significant due to the unlikeliness of his teams becoming champs in 1986 and 1993. Sure, you can't necessarily compare two different eras of hockey...but I have a hard time believing that its been easier for a player to carry his team to the Cup since the advent of modern hockey.

Dammit...this thread is about some love for Budaj! I love how Holland talked up our young players. I throw his quotes around like Sopel piles up on crackers...without a single hesitation.


Last edited by fcbarcelona: 04-19-2007 at 05:05 AM.
fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:17 AM
  #18
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Stastny rocks, althought he'd one ugly dude. Liles is a stud, loved him at MSU. Not really a big fan of Wolski though. Not real reason, just doesn't have the same feel to him those other two do. Same with Budaj, but he's still young so maybe some of the shakiness I saw will go away next season.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:09 AM
  #19
fcbarcelona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Stastny isn't ugly. He's no Justin Timberlake either. Liles doesn't seem to be a big part of the Avalanche future. He's got game...but he's a little guy on defense. If he can build up his lower body strength, he would easily be a keeper. Wolski hasn't endeared himself to anyone. But he's so young that I'm sure he'll be an exceptional player. Budaj played much better in the latter half of the season. He was a completely different goalie.

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:25 AM
  #20
Blue Dragon
Registered User
 
Blue Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quick question:
I've only ever seen youtube's of goalie fights that never show the aftermath. What I'd like to know is if 2 goalies get into a fight do they have to go into the box for the 5-minute major, or does someone else serve the time for them? What if there's an instigator when the game misconduct for instigating is in effect?

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:57 AM
  #21
ColoradoHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ColoradoHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver area
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Bleh. As long as Ilitch insists on trying to to gouge close to $200 for a decent seat in round 1, he can have his empty seats. I could care less if his precious sellout streak was intact or not. Frankly, I'd just as soon drop that stupid Hockeytown marketing gimmick so that I don't have to listen to stupid crap from other teams over his trademarked ego-boost.
It's funny how the issue of high ticket prices is so quickly trotted out now when the sellouts aren't coming. Yet, for the last eleven years while the sellout streak was alive, we never heard one peep about how much that streak benefitted in Detroit from extremely reasonable ticket prices when compared to other cities. (And when factoring in the elite, superstar on-ice product--and three Cups--over those same years, the prices in Detroit were not only beyond reasonable, but downright cheap.)

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:15 PM
  #22
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Awesome! This is why Budaj is a keeper.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:16 PM
  #23
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
Quick question:
I've only ever seen youtube's of goalie fights that never show the aftermath. What I'd like to know is if 2 goalies get into a fight do they have to go into the box for the 5-minute major, or does someone else serve the time for them? What if there's an instigator when the game misconduct for instigating is in effect?
Someone else serves it unless the goalie gets a game misconduct. Then the backup plays.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
  #24
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
All true. Problem is no matter how much you beat a guy up, if you are the bloody one at the end it's always viewed as a loss. Doesn't really matterin the long run who wins or loses a fight between goalies anyhow. That was bad in the twin-size-mattress-pad days where every goalie looked like an extra for a Michelin commercial. It's amazing they could even get close enough together without their pads coming in the way.
You came here to start ***** with Avs fans. Low class move, go back to the Wings board.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:44 PM
  #25
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
You came here to start ***** with Avs fans. Low class move, go back to the Wings board.
Get over yourself and contribute something meaningful. I made a joke about a single incident then let it go, yet somehow everyone wants to keep dragging it back up. I said my pieced, backed up my statement with a solid argument mixed with personal opinion, and moved on. Try doing the same because I'm sure one of the mods would have banned me by now if they felt I was trolling.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.