HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Youth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
  #1
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Rangers Youth

One thing I'd like to comment on is the great job that our minor league system has been doing preparing some of these young guys. In watching both Cally and Girardi the one thing I gotta say is that for such young players they read and see the game at a very mature level. For instance, Cally and his ability to forecheck. He realizes that he's not going to run over Exelby or Sutton so instead he used body positioning to establish a superior position on the forecheck and win the puck. This isn't like Rico Fata who sould storm in and lose most of his puck battles because of size. Cally is smart enough to know that he won't outmuscle these guys so he depends more on establishing a superior position along the boards in order to come out with the puck. Same in his puck support and his defensive assignments -- the kids got great talent but at the same time its obvious that he's been really well coached.

Girardi is the same way. He always seems to be in the right place. In the last couple of months I've seen veterans like Malik and Rachunek lose their heads under pressure while a guy like Girardi was keeping his. Its not a coincidence -- he's obviously been very well coached and it shows! Again this goes back to the staff in Hartford.

This organization is starting to work more and more like the Devils. Guys are coming in and they can play within the system because of what they've been taught in Hartford. I remember when we had our team in Binghampton. Guys would come outta there and look completely outta place. The Rangers organization has improved to the level where we can confidently bring up kids from the minors and know that they will be ready to step in and not look outta place. Thats somethign that even 3 years ago you couldn't say for this organization. Alot of credit has to go to Sather for recognizing the flaws in our system and turning one of the glaring weaknesses in our organization into one of its strengths!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
  #2
jgrangers2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
The future looks bright on Broadway. Sather has done a great job of mixing solid veterans with a great group of youngsters while we still have more on the way from Hartford. He should continue to follow this plan, it's worked well so far.

jgrangers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
  #3
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Callahan, Girardi...Bourret and Staal coming.

Cupboard's not bare anymore!

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
  #4
stuart
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
They have more talent coming then that

the problem for next years team is where to find spots for all this talent.

Hollwegg, orty, betts(probably not), and Orr will have a tough time making next years team.

The rangers should play like Buffalo next year play 4 lines all the time with the unspectacualr puck moving D.

They may have the talent to do this..

I am not getting carried away, they have alot of good young players; don't forget Dubinsky, Dupont, Korpikorski, and more..........

stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
  #5
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 500
It's mostly about veterans right now even though the younger Rangers are looking great. But the future; as I've been saying for a long time, is looking very bright indeed.

A key will be how the guys down in Hartford (that are ready now) can be integrated into the Rangers line up over the next year or so. Others will need to be phased out and that could get a little tricky, but it's a great problem to have. I'm loving it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
  #6
RangerFan_48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Hollwegg, orty, betts(probably not), and Orr will have a tough time making next years team.

Why do you say that? Betts I can see but Hollwegg and Ortmeyer?

RangerFan_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:11 PM
  #7
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
the problem for next years team is where to find spots for all this talent.

Hollwegg, orty, betts(probably not), and Orr will have a tough time making next years team.

The rangers should play like Buffalo next year play 4 lines all the time with the unspectacualr puck moving D.

They may have the talent to do this..

I am not getting carried away, they have alot of good young players; don't forget Dubinsky, Dupont, Korpikorski, and more..........

Betts is signed through 09 I believe, but Otry is a UFA, and Hollweg is an RFA. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Ortmeyer gets decent offers to play else where. For Hollweg, I know Renney really like Hollweg, but I agree that it will be hard for him to make this club next season.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:37 PM
  #8
Noonan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Callahan, Girardi...Bourret and Staal coming.

Cupboard's not bare anymore!
Sangunetti, Dawes, and Montoya as well

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
  #9
mnorman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Suburban NY
Country: United States
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
The future may be exciting, but I think this is the year to do it. The chemistry is great, and it takes a LOT just to get back to the second round. I doubt Avery will be here beyond next winter. Win now, the future is still just the future.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:35 PM
  #10
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan_48 View Post
Hollwegg, orty, betts(probably not), and Orr will have a tough time making next years team.

Why do you say that? Betts I can see but Hollwegg and Ortmeyer?
Because we have guys in the minors that do what they do but also score more. Ortmeyer probably has a better handle on his spot but Orr and Hollweg unfortunately may have their days numbered. Dawes could push Ortmeyer to the 4th and one of those two out of the lineup all together. Dubinsky and Helmenien might force others out as well. It'll be interesting.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:06 PM
  #11
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Old discussion, but from the get go, I loved the way the Rangers handled the kids this year and giving almost all of them the time to develop in Hartford which has allowed some to contribute big time in NY while a few others could also be doing the same in their spot..

The pipe line is flowing...Not only do you have Callahan up and ready, but Dawes and Immo (though not my favorite) are ready to be playing full time in the NHL,,and, it's only a matter of time---hell, it might be even now or the start of the season, that guys like DUbinsky, Bouret and Byers are also ready full time...That's SIX forwards..Obviously all won't start the season in NY no matter how ready, but what a problem to have...The bet here is that one or two of them is dealt in a package for either a top pick or a top young player..ANd 2 or 3 make it up at the start...

Hard to say these things now, but I think Hollweg's Ranger career ended with his baording penalty in Boston and will be replaced by a more talented player...Same might be true with one of Orts or Betts...

And then you have the defense...we already have a slew of kids playing..And then you add in baranka (if he could ever stay healthy) or Liffiton (not both) plus, most probably, Marc Staal..

Bottom line is that the ranger organization is the strongest and deepest it's been in ages...Not only in Hartford, but also the kids coming out of Juniors (Dupont, Staal, Pyatt, Sauer, Sanguinetti) and COllege..The one thing missing is a top line young player, but there sure are quite a bit of NHLers...also quite a bit of assets and trade chips that will allow Sather/Maloney to be very flexible whiel trying to improve the team/organization via trade....What a change from 4-5 years ago!

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:21 PM
  #12
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Lets not forget this team was kind of lost without Ortmeyer until he came back, Ortmeyer & Hollweg are the heart & sould of this team to a certain extent, it would be damaging to let them both go, but if I had to pick one I would keep ortmeyer.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:30 PM
  #13
Speedtrials
Registered User
 
Speedtrials's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alphabit City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Lets not forget this team was kind of lost without Ortmeyer until he came back, Ortmeyer & Hollweg are the heart & sould of this team to a certain extent, it would be damaging to let them both go, but if I had to pick one I would keep ortmeyer.
I agree. Ortmeyer, even though doesn't score, seems to mean a lot to the team, plus he is such a great penalty killer, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him. Hollweg is a nice piece to have on your team, and has been a great Ranger, but I think in the future we will have players who can provide the same energy, and bring more to the table. I wouldn't be suprised if he is gone within the next season or two, just to make some room for the rookies.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:55 PM
  #14
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Do not undervalue Betts. His work taking face-offs and killing penalties has been extremely important in this run to make the playoffs. Anyone have his stats against guys like Crosby for face-off wins?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:59 PM
  #15
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,099
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Do not undervalue Betts. His work taking face-offs and killing penalties has been extremely important in this run to make the playoffs. Anyone have his stats against guys like Crosby for face-off wins?
Agreed. It's a tough situation because all of Betts, Orts and Holly play important roles on the team. Do you take a gamble and let one or more go and fill the spot with a rookie? Of all of them, I'd be most likely to let Ortsy walk, which breaks my heart so say (I have two of his sweaters).

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:20 PM
  #16
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
hollweg is the weakest link in that trifecta. i see byers as his immediate replacement. but orts and betts can kill penalties and you need that. hossa and cullen as well. we should not mess with something good.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
  #17
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
I think we should add Pock to this discussion. He played outstanding the last 2 games and even threw in 3 assists. He might not play the rest of the playoffs, but I have a feeling he's not going away.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
  #18
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 500
I'd be very surprised if Betts were not our starting 4th line center in October. I think it will be extremely hard for someone to move him aside.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
  #19
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Old discussion, but from the get go, I loved the way the Rangers handled the kids this year and giving almost all of them the time to develop in Hartford which has allowed some to contribute big time in NY while a few others could also be doing the same in their spot..

The pipe line is flowing...Not only do you have Callahan up and ready, but Dawes and Immo (though not my favorite) are ready to be playing full time in the NHL,,and, it's only a matter of time---hell, it might be even now or the start of the season, that guys like DUbinsky, Bouret and Byers are also ready full time...That's SIX forwards..Obviously all won't start the season in NY no matter how ready, but what a problem to have...The bet here is that one or two of them is dealt in a package for either a top pick or a top young player..ANd 2 or 3 make it up at the start...

Hard to say these things now, but I think Hollweg's Ranger career ended with his baording penalty in Boston and will be replaced by a more talented player...Same might be true with one of Orts or Betts...

And then you have the defense...we already have a slew of kids playing..And then you add in baranka (if he could ever stay healthy) or Liffiton (not both) plus, most probably, Marc Staal..

Bottom line is that the ranger organization is the strongest and deepest it's been in ages...Not only in Hartford, but also the kids coming out of Juniors (Dupont, Staal, Pyatt, Sauer, Sanguinetti) and COllege..The one thing missing is a top line young player, but there sure are quite a bit of NHLers...also quite a bit of assets and trade chips that will allow Sather/Maloney to be very flexible whiel trying to improve the team/organization via trade....What a change from 4-5 years ago!
Damn, your good...why it sounds like the exact thing I've saying...oh, yeah, it is, since it's been an area of agreement between you and I all year. BTW, congrats...we've been at this both here and at RFC for almost a decade now, and, let's face it, as Ranger fans, we deserve this. Sure beats the hell out of the discussions of St. Manny, Nedved v. Fleury and so many other pointless arguments in too many futile seasons.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:28 PM
  #20
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd be very surprised if Betts were not our starting 4th line center in October. I think it will be extremely hard for someone to move him aside.

If you are watching closely, Betts does so many little things that help the Rangers win. He's very good defensively, reading passing lanes, winning faceoffs and getting back defensively. He earned Renney's trust a long time ago.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
  #21
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Unfortunately for Hollweg, this 4 game sweep is showing how this team can cope without him. He has heart and energy, but look at Callahan: Heart, energy, speed, skill, scoring and intelligence. There are even more guys just like this in Hartford, you cannot deny them a chance just because Hollweg is a fan favorite.

I agree that Ortmeyer and Betts are big parts of this team but you will begin to see them reduced to 4th line and penalty killing and that is honestly the best thing for them and the team. Eventually their spots will be in jeopardy as well.

Larry, I hope you're right about next year. The question is how do they create the openings in New York? Even if Hollweg is the odd-man out, Renney has shown his reluctance to play the developing kids on the 4th line (and rightly so).

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
  #22
gg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If you are watching closely, Betts does so many little things that help the Rangers win. He's very good defensively, reading passing lanes, winning faceoffs and getting back defensively. He earned Renney's trust a long time ago.
remember when we had to spend millions to buy grit and leadership in Skrudland and Keane? Remember how that failed?

No matter what, you need character players, guys who will do the dirty work, kill penalties, etc. And those guys are far better when developed internally then when traded for or given big money as FA's. I'm not saying that Betts and Orts should not be replaced but let's not kid yourselves and think we should replace them with people who would be ill suited to those roles. That sets up the kids for failure and it is bad for the team. More talent does not equal a better fit.

gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
  #23
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Damn, your good...why it sounds like the exact thing I've saying...oh, yeah, it is, since it's been an area of agreement between you and I all year. BTW, congrats...we've been at this both here and at RFC for almost a decade now, and, let's face it, as Ranger fans, we deserve this. Sure beats the hell out of the discussions of St. Manny, Nedved v. Fleury and so many other pointless arguments in too many futile seasons.
I'm sorry, but the merits of Jeff Toms and Zdeno Cigar was far from a meaningless arguement...But yeah, it's great to have a team and an organization pointed in the right direction...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
  #24
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Unfortunately for Hollweg, this 4 game sweep is showing how this team can cope without him. He has heart and energy, but look at Callahan: Heart, energy, speed, skill, scoring and intelligence. There are even more guys just like this in Hartford, you cannot deny them a chance just because Hollweg is a fan favorite.

I agree that Ortmeyer and Betts are big parts of this team but you will begin to see them reduced to 4th line and penalty killing and that is honestly the best thing for them and the team. Eventually their spots will be in jeopardy as well.

Larry, I hope you're right about next year. The question is how do they create the openings in New York? Even if Hollweg is the odd-man out, Renney has shown his reluctance to play the developing kids on the 4th line (and rightly so).

While I agree that Hollweg is on his way out becasue of the depth in the orgnaization, the Rangers played the Atlanta series with basically 11 forwards. Against a speedier and stronger team like Ottawa, a 12th forward that can skate and bang might be of benefit...Since only Hollweg offers a hint of that, maybe he sees some ice..but just as likely that someone gets recalled from Hartford..

As for next year, I agree it might be tricky opening up all the spots...But the right ones opened up this year and likely the same will happen next year.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.