HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Nash Anyone?

Old
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
People not wanting Nash on the habs is kinda funny given the fact we've had 0 players that have EVER scored 40 goals in any given season since a decade+ ago.

True, Nash hasn't had great seasons in the past 2 yrs, but he has been on a very young team and being asked to be THE leader and THE offense, and all that while being a very young player himself. I think if he were to get moved to a place with less on-ice demands he would do a lot better.

The guy has skills, you don't suddenly just lose your scoring touch. He'll score 35-40 again in the very near future. He just needs a change.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Part of me would love him but at the same time part of me is worried he never returns to 40+ goal level and we would have to overpay for him imo.
Playing with Koivu a complete season he can score 40+ IMO.If Ryder can score 30,I think Nash can pot 40 easily if healty

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:36 PM
terreur

i'd prefer Rick James.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

I doubt whether Nash would be available. Besides, I think the Habs have bigger needs than getting a scoring winger. Rather, they should fortify their porous defense. It's sad that they have a second unit consisting of Souray and Bouillon and a third unit of Dandenault and Streit, with Gorges as the backup. Rivet didn't wind up his career in Montréal with a great season but at least he often bailed out Souray the season before. Now Souray has little backup when he makes a mistake. Streit is OK on the third unit and the PP, but I don't like to see him on the ice in the last minute of a game in which the Habs are leading by one or are tied. He lacks the bulk and strength to take big forwards out of the play behind he goal or in the crease.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
I doubt whether Nash would be available. Besides, I think the Habs have bigger needs than getting a scoring winger. Rather, they should fortify their porous defense. It's sad that they have a second unit consisting of Souray and Bouillon and a third unit of Dandenault and Streit, with Gorges as the backup. Rivet didn't wind up his career in Montréal with a great season but at least he often bailed out Souray the season before. Now Souray has little backup when he makes a mistake. Streit is OK on the third unit and the PP, but I don't like to see him on the ice in the last minute of a game in which the Habs are leading by one or are tied. He lacks the bulk and strength to take big forwards out of the play behind he goal or in the crease.
As far as dmen go Sutton or even DeVries could fill that shut down role well imho. That being said though I think it's important to fill that need for 5 on 5 skilled scorers with size. Where that help comes from I'm not sure but I believe Nash is more likely then say Lecav or Richards or fill in the blank

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Stradale

Nash scores 40 goals with COLUMBUS and would not be a good fit for the Habs?!? Oh no, not him too.

I will add him on this list:

Kovalchuk
Briere
Smyth
Datsyuk
Richards
Jokinen
Marleau
Forsberg
Bertuzzi

and now Rick Nash.

Yes all these players are not good additions for the Habs in this forum

Looks like we need a clone of Sakic, Lecavalier, Iginla, Crosby, Ovechkin, , Heatley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer, Phaneuf, Brodeur, Luongo, Hossa? Im not even sure...

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Le Maroons

Trade for Rick Nash, Corey Perry and Chris Kelly, sign UFA's Brendan Shanahan and Jason Allison, allow Sergei Kostitsyn to make the team, somehow draft Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner and hire Dino Ciccarelli and Dale Hunter as coaches. Move to London.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Trade for Rick Nash, Corey Perry and Chris Kelly, sign UFA's Brendan Shanahan and Jason Allison, allow Sergei Kostitsyn to make the team, somehow draft Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner and hire Dino Ciccarelli and Dale Hunter as coaches. Move to London.
Put away that wacky tabaky!

Old
04-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Pere Noel

Was he playing with Andrew Cassels, a playmaker centerman, when he got that 41 goal season.

That could explain it... Andrew passed, he scored.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

What package of players etc. would the Habs have to give for Nash? What would that same package produce in the way of a top flight Dman? I'd rather allocate the assets that way. Let's say Nash would score 40 goals (minus the scoring the Jackets would get in return). Suppose the Habs included Ryder + prospects, draft choices, etc. in the deal. Would that increase in the number of goals scored (+10) exceed the number of goals against the Habs would save if they got a really good two-way Dman to replace Bouillon or even Souray? I'll concede that the algebra I've used here is on the crude side but it supports the need for improved D.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:14 PM
wildone26*

He is one of the most overrated player in the NHL, always has been, always will be. He is a joke. I said last year he was way overrated and people laughed, now people see that I was right all along.

How is he in a slump. He has proven he is not capable of even 60 points and showed it again this year. He is a offensive player who sucks in defense, leadership skills, neutral zone play, anything else, and he still cant even score 60 points in a season. He is a joke.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
With the demise of Maclean in Columbus, on ice changes are imminent. The face of the franchise is Rick Nash, but after a stellar season in 03/04 he has had 2 consecutive seasons of decline. He is a young, big body, potential franchise player. Could the Habs go after Nash and get that BIG scoring presence we have lacked for longer then I can remember? I know he would probably be costly but GM's usually like to put their stamp on a franchise and I think it could happen. Thoughts?
This could be a good idea if we were in a rebuilding process but we are not. Rick Nash is good and is value probably really high even if he had a bad year. We would probably have to give a lot and too much for him.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
True, Nash hasn't had great seasons in the past 2 yrs, but he has been on a very young team and being asked to be THE leader and THE offense, and all that while being a very young player himself. I think if he were to get moved to a place with less on-ice demands he would do a lot better.

The guy has skills, you don't suddenly just lose your scoring touch. He'll score 35-40 again in the very near future. He just needs a change.
Exactly my thoughts. Again, I'd have to see what went the other way before dreaming up possible combinations to both A) give him a chance to get pucks in the net, and B) keep the pressure off of him to be THE producer, which is tough when you're 22, playing on a mediocre team, and trying to develop your all-round game as well. You're right, you never lose the touch. It's one of those things that God puts in and you can't teach, as they say.

Recently a few of us have been pipe-dreaming about Kovalchuk and what it would take to get him. I think Nash is more realistic, but again, I think the pipe-dreams have been explored on this board in the recent past. Since I was only an observing guest over the last few years and only recently became a posting member, I guess I'll add that (pipe-dream inserted here) having a top six of Nash, Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Ryder, Kost/Grabs/UFA-X to mix and match with looks pretty impressive. A 6'4" soon to be 23 proven scorer with decent skating and only a little defensive polishing needed is worth a pretty decent investment IMO. Wouldn't throw any long term 5M contracts his way just yet, but hey.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:30 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
With the demise of Maclean in Columbus, on ice changes are imminent. The face of the franchise is Rick Nash, but after a stellar season in 03/04 he has had 2 consecutive seasons of decline. He is a young, big body, potential franchise player. Could the Habs go after Nash and get that BIG scoring presence we have lacked for longer then I can remember? I know he would probably be costly but GM's usually like to put their stamp on a franchise and I think it could happen. Thoughts?
Hello ?

54pts in 54 games with 32 goals last season...Its his best season ever...

Sometimes user on HFboards should know the FACT before posting.

Ignorant of the game! Why people said he was subbar last two season? He was dominating last season... Anyway I'm may be the only one habs fan who watch more then 2 games of the Blue Jackets per years... Or only of a few people who have access to hockey stats ?

02-03: 17-22-39 (74GP)
03-04: 41-16-57 (Maurice Richard Winner)
04-05: Lockout 47pts in 44games with Davos
05-06: 31-23-54 in 54games (He was very good better then 03-04)
06-07: 27-30-57 in 75games with the worst team of the NHL.

He is 23 years old...

Wake up he would be the best player of the team ahead of Andrei Markov.

Last edited by GSK*: 04-19-2007 at 09:37 PM.
GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Peter Puck

I've been thinking about us trying to acquire Nash for a while.
If you want to trade for a star you need to pick someone who is seriously slumping. Otherwise you have to trade your whole team.
Nash is the only (young) superstar centre in a longterm slump.

I think Nash is perfect but I am not sure what it would cost. A lot depends on who their new GM is. It may be that Nash needs a change of scenery. If the new GM thinks this he can probably be acquired without having to pay too much. I am confident he can recover. The whole Columbus team played horribly this year.

I think our two first round picks plus a couple of our prospects might be enough. Columbus is going to have to try to rebuild. Probably Nash is young enough to be part of the rebuilt team but I still think they may move him. Hanging on to him for another year risks his value dropping considerably.

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
wildone26*

A poll could be started on him, "has there ever been a player who has never scored 60 points in a single NHL season, whose overall offense is 3 times better then any other aspect of his game, and who people think is as great as they think Rick Nash is.
"

Watch Team Canada at the Worlds this year, they will not win Gold, they would have failed to win gold too in 2003 and 2004 if Rick Nash had been on the team. No team can win anything with him on it.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Nash ain't leavin C-town boys. He is one of Hitch's boys.

Modanno -->> to Hitchcock in Dallas

AS

Nash --will be >> to Hitchcok in Columbus

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Nash ain't leavin C-town boys. He is one of Hitch's boys.

Modanno -->> to Hitchcock in Dallas

AS

Nash --will be >> to Hitchcok in Columbus

Too bad he is not the GM...

Ask Carbonneau if he will decide which player he will keep or sign.

The GM always have the last word on every trade or move...

(BTW, CLB is my 2nd favorite hockeyteam and NO, he will not be moved.)

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
A poll could be started on him, "has there ever been a player who has never scored 60 points in a single NHL season, whose overall offense is 3 times better then any other aspect of his game, and who people think is as great as they think Rick Nash is.
"

Watch Team Canada at the Worlds this year, they will not win Gold, they would have failed to win gold too in 2003 and 2004 if Rick Nash had been on the team. No team can win anything with him on it.
Exactly. Like I said earlier, in 2005, he got 9 goals in the WHC, but 5 of them were against Latvia, Slovenia and Ukraine and the only reason he got those goals is because of his chemistry with Joe Thornton with whom he played with in Davos for a year. For a "franchise" player he isn't anything special.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Anyway I'm may be the only one habs fan who watch more then 2 games of the Blue Jackets per years... Or only of a few people who have access to hockey stats ?
Dude, I feel ya. With tools like A) a t.v., B) the internet and C) internet t.v. available to everyone here, sometimes ya gotta wonder how much people actually KNOW/know how to interpret/have seen/understand what they have seen, or how much often misfounded (... as opposed to unfounded... perhaps I just created that word) opinion is just getting regurgitated from forum to forum. The stats, highlights, and channel programming are all there folks.

As much as I fear what the price could end up being in a bidding war, I think we could win it, and he's one of those guys that is worth a certain amount of risk given his skill set and very, very young age.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Habitant#1

I read that Hitchcock turned him into a much more complete player this season, which would explain the learning curve.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

You know...

You can take Rick Nash's name and change just the first two letters of his 1st and 2nd name and then it becomes Nick Rash.

Nick Rash: perfect name for the poster boy of STD's!

Well it IS a slow night over here...

PS: ok, i think i forgot to take the lil yellow pills 2 hours ago...

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 04-20-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
If I was hired to be the new GM in Columbus... well... I somehow think I could come up with a fairly lengthy list of other things I'd try first before thinking of dealing Rick Nash?
If I were the Blue Jacket GM, trading Nash would be my first priority. It's time to trade him now while he still has SOME value. You get three quality guys for him and the sky's the limit. The times of building for them is over. They need to win.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Westguy13

Everyone here realizes that Nash is 23 right? Not to mention he's actually a solid player if you stop and watch him sometime. Like stated above Hitch has done alot with Nash and I don't see him leaving any time soon and yes a new GM will come in and GM's have all the say in who comes and who goes but no GM worth a damn is going to move a player the sustained coach has dubbed his golden boy. Look for Zherdev to be on the market though...

05-06 stats
54 games 31 goals 23 assists 54 points

If Nash would have played 82 games that season he would have been on pace for 45+ goals 82 points how many 40+ goal scorers this year played with guys the quality of Nash's last season? AO? How is Nash falling off and losing value? Or "not built for the new NHL"? He was 1st on his team in goals and 2nd on his team in points this year thats not exaclty decreasing in value for a 23 year old.

On an interesting side note there are only 2 20 goal scorers on Columbus Nash got to play agianst everyone's top pairings all year. Being one of 2 or 3 players even remotly deserving of being shut down is hard on anyone's point totals.

Last edited by Westguy13: 04-20-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Hello ?

54pts in 54 games with 32 goals last season...Its his best season ever...

Sometimes user on HFboards should know the FACT before posting.

Ignorant of the game! Why people said he was subbar last two season? He was dominating last season... Anyway I'm may be the only one habs fan who watch more then 2 games of the Blue Jackets per years... Or only of a few people who have access to hockey stats ?

02-03: 17-22-39 (74GP)
03-04: 41-16-57 (Maurice Richard Winner)
04-05: Lockout 47pts in 44games with Davos
05-06: 31-23-54 in 54games (He was very good better then 03-04)
06-07: 27-30-57 in 75games with the worst team of the NHL.

He is 23 years old...

Wake up he would be the best player of the team ahead of Andrei Markov.
Did you bother to read the next sentence after the one you put in bold print? I know he is an excellent player. What I am trying to point out is that depending on the new management coming in they may want to change the face of the team. Nash has injury questions and his goal totals have slipped the last 2 seasons(not talking about ppg). I'm trying to point out that this may be a chance for Gainey to pick this guy up. I'm not saying(like some)that he's no good, on the contrary I think he could help the Habs immensely!