HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsonov Rise of the Phoenix

Old
04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Samsonov Rise of the Phoenix

Are we absolutely certain that Sammy wont be back? He was rookie of the year and is too young to be washed up. Professional managers often have rebellious employees turn productive. Its the nature of the beast as a manager now to have rebellious types and as a manager one has to be an adult. Gainey doesnt seem to be the type to bear grudges.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
TheHoser

Rise of Phoenix?

Think we can convince them to give us Reinprecht?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Long Sky

how about a trade

i posted the idea a coulpe of days ago. Well I hear a name that might work. How about Fedorov? We get the older player, but a least he's a center. All we would need is the lenght and salary to be the same. Just an idea.

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:06 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Are we absolutely certain that Sammy wont be back?
That's what BG said but we'll see I guess.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
FF de Mars

If he's back, he has something to proove... He failed to play in the NHL this year. He can blame Montreal all he wants, but he failed to play in the NHL this year and was outplayed by a rookie... He may have won the Calder, but it was in the old days. If he wants to be back, he better be back for real...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

If think the Canadiens will do whatever it takes to unload Samsonov, through trade. Despite his mediocre season, he could be very salvageable given his age, his style of play and his contract length. Because he only has one year left on the deal, I could see a team that has plenty of cap space (eg: St. Louis, Washington, etc...) take him on. Of course, we can't expect anything of substance in return if we were to deal him.

That said, I still don't think he's necessarily finished in Montreal. It will be fairly difficult to find a suitor IMO, and we'll probably be stuck with him at the beginning of the year. If he comes in to camp with a changed attitude, maybe Carbonneau can make something out of him (especially because it will be a contract year, and he'll have plenty to prove). We've seen a guy like Selanne, who absolutely fell out with Granato in Denver, but found his game with a fresh attitude in Anaheim. I'm not saying that Samsonov is like Selanne, but who knows, maybe he'll be able to get his game back. To be honest, I'd rather do that than buy him out (where his salary would count on the cap for the following year too, if I'm correct). If not, we could send him to Hamilton and have his contract not count against the cap (and bring him up on re-entry waivers, so another team could claim him... that way we'd be on the hook cap-wise for half his salary)

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

I dont belive he will be back but with a creative center I belive he would do well. That isnt a knock on Pleks but Pleks is a shooter as much as anything.

Old
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
SpreeEndaz

He does look like Harry Potter.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
If think the Canadiens will do whatever it takes to unload Samsonov, through trade. Despite his mediocre season, he could be very salvageable given his age, his style of play and his contract length. Because he only has one year left on the deal, I could see a team that has plenty of cap space (eg: St. Louis, Washington, etc...) take him on. Of course, we can't expect anything of substance in return if we were to deal him.

That said, I still don't think he's necessarily finished in Montreal. It will be fairly difficult to find a suitor IMO, and we'll probably be stuck with him at the beginning of the year. If he comes in to camp with a changed attitude, maybe Carbonneau can make something out of him (especially because it will be a contract year, and he'll have plenty to prove). We've seen a guy like Selanne, who absolutely fell out with Granato in Denver, but found his game with a fresh attitude in Anaheim. I'm not saying that Samsonov is like Selanne, but who knows, maybe he'll be able to get his game back. To be honest, I'd rather do that than buy him out (where his salary would count on the cap for the following year too, if I'm correct). If not, we could send him to Hamilton and have his contract not count against the cap (and bring him up on re-entry waivers, so another team could claim him... that way we'd be on the hook cap-wise for half his salary)
I agree with most of this and would like to emphasize that the problem with his play this year was mostly environmental and circumstancial (couldn't adapt well, lack of communication with the coach). He was still our second best ES scorer, scary isn't it?

He's a 3.5 million asset and we should do everything in order to maximize it.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
greyboy67

My guess is they will take the cap hit and dump Samsonov. The talent does disappear like that overnight, so I expect he will show up on someone's roster.

There's too much money left on Kovy's contract so he will be around for at least another year.

greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I really don't saw why the Habs would want him back after what he said

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
windycity

He's a 3.5 million asset

I believe you added an unnecessary "et"

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Penalty Killer

Booo, hiss! No thank you. Bob got rid of Ribs, you think Sammy's sticking around?

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Well Samsonov's little gig of circling around and never getting his nose dirty just wont work unless the guy becomes instantly a new player with the grit and work ethic of a Steve Begin.

Geez... imagine that: Begin's work ethic and sammy's natural talent!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:48 PM
SpreeEndaz

Samsonov is good for something:

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:19 PM
wildone26*

I think the team should try and keep him. The coach treated him horribly right from the start of the season but had to too much pride to admit it and apologize to Sammy. The coach and GM should let him play in a big role that he deserves next season, rather then buying him out and wasting all that money.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I think the team should try and keep him. The coach treated him horribly right from the start of the season but had to too much pride to admit it and apologize to Sammy. The coach and GM should let him play in a big role that he deserves next season, rather then buying him out and wasting all that money.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

he IS a waste!

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:28 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

he IS a waste!
Remember only about a month into the season him being demoted to the 2nd line for Latendresse. He was upset and said so in the press. It was too early to punish him in such a way, not enough chances to have failed or dissapointed that early. It is things like that which gave him a bad attitude towards the team, affected his performance, and it all snowballed from there. The coach wronged him, now it is time to make it right.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
GoHabs20

dear lord let this stop.

No more samsonov topics....let him go away!!!

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:42 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Remember only about a month into the season him being demoted to the 2nd line for Latendresse. He was upset and said so in the press. It was too early to punish him in such a way, not enough chances to have failed or dissapointed that early. It is things like that which gave him a bad attitude towards the team, affected his performance, and it all snowballed from there. The coach wronged him, now it is time to make it right.
First it was Ribiero's fault then Samsonov. Sammy was rookie of the year If he was used correctly and the Habs added a couple like Comrie and Hannan improvements could be seen.

Old
04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Are we absolutely certain that Sammy wont be back? He was rookie of the year and is too young to be washed up. Professional managers often have rebellious employees turn productive. Its the nature of the beast as a manager now to have rebellious types and as a manager one has to be an adult. Gainey doesnt seem to be the type to bear grudges.
Gainey said he will trade to trade him or buy out his contract. So, I guess there's a very small chance that we see him with the team next year.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:50 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
Gainey said he will trade to trade him or buy out his contract. So, I guess there's a very small chance that we see him with the team next year.
Did Gainey say that he would buy him out?

Old
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Did Gainey say that he would buy him out?
I think he did but I'm not 100% sure.

edit : Yes he did.
Quote:
"Nous allons essayer de l'échanger comme nous avons tenté de le faire en janvier ou février. Nous pouvons aussi racheter son contrat (3 525 000 $ US) aux deux tiers de sa valeur. Nous allons utiliser une des deux options."

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
That's not how I remember it. Carbonneau called out several players before saying anything negative about his non-Koivu scoring line, and even defended Samsonov in front of the media when it was obvious to everyone that he just wasn't working. Carbonnneau moved people around, cut ice-time, but left that line intact, even though it was terrible. As I remember it, he had plenty of chances to disappoint.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:56 AM
saskhab

If we want to bring in some new FA's, then we need to get rid of his salary. If we want the same team with only natural deletions, then keep him.

Gainey said that he doesn't want to block young players from making it. He's not coming back. End of discussion. Move on.

Is Samsonov done? Probably not. It's that hope that makes a trade possible.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote