HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Odd man out on defense next year?

View Poll Results: What current Blues defenseman will be the number 7 man next year?
Matt Walker 23 74.19%
Jeff Woywitka 4 12.90%
Bryce Salvador 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2007, 07:22 PM
dao256

vCash: 500
Odd man out on defense next year?

With the conformation of EJ being a blue next year, one of our current top six guys will have to be demoted to the number seven role. Who do you think that will be? It likely will be two of the above guys seeing as Jackman , McKee, Backman, EJ and Brewer will all be safe

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany View Post
With the conformation of EJ being a blue next year, one of our current top six guys will have to be demoted to the number seven role. Who do you think that will be? It likely will be two of the above guys seeing as Jackman , McKee, Backman, EJ and Brewer will all be safe
I do NOT like the phrasing of this poll because of the above statement. I don't think it's even remotely safe to make a comment like this considering what this team's need are. If we can find a trade for a legit #1 center involving one of Jax or Backman(and I have a strong suspicion that our " big addition" up front will come through a trade rather than a FA signing) I don't think JD would be too overly adamant about keeping them both. IMO there is just no way you can make this kind of statement without knowing what JD's plans are for this summer(both in the FA market and for the Draft).

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 11:09 PM
dao256

I suppose your right, but supposing that they are all safe..

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:04 AM
barnburner

Assuming both are still here - Walker and Wyowitka will probably alternate as the 7th and 8th defenseman, depending on who we are playing.

The one that will not be the 7th dman is Salvador. He is a lock for the top 6.

Someone, probably Backman, is likely to go in a trade for offense, and to create room for Pola'k, whom imo, is going to end up being a better dman than Backman. May not score as much, but will be better in his own end, and will make a lot of forwards less likely to come steaming in full speed ahead into our zone, because of his bone crunching hits.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

I wouldn't be surprised if we held on to our surplus defensemen since McKee isn't exactly the model of health. Until then, I'll go with Walker as the odd man out.

Though, if Backman were traded for a forward or part of a package for a high draft pick (hello Washington) I wouldn't be opposed.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
2ForRoughing*

Brewer seems to really like playing with Salvador so it seems likely they'll try to keep him. I just don't see Walker fitting into this defensive group at all. He gets beat wide, has slow feet, is a mediocre at best outlet passer, fails to plug holes in the offensive zone and is generally not a good NHL dman. He's not bad, either, but he's not good. The Blues will have solid talent on the blueline next year, we can afford to move a very mediocre player.
Walker would be a great fit in Columbus or Chicago, IMO.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

its a useless poll. you might as well have put all of the dmen in the list to get an accurate assessment.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
I'd feel comfortable trading Walker and Backman now that EJ's here.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:32 PM
StLooFrenchy

Walker's tough guy job has been copped by DJ. He's gone.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:16 PM
fan in oregon

Personally I would keep all 3 of them and trade both Jackman and Backman in seperate deals at the end of the day i would have both alexander steen of the leafs and the first pick of the draft from the hawks.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
Personally I would keep all 3 of them and trade both Jackman and Backman in seperate deals at the end of the day i would have both alexander steen of the leafs and the first pick of the draft from the hawks.
This is why I'm glad posters on here aren't running the team

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Jackman should never be traded imo...

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:58 AM
HarmonyOfDissonance

Send a message via AIM to HarmonyOfDissonance
Trading Jacks would be horrible. Seeing as prior to EJ he's probably our best draft pick since Bernie. I say we trade Salvy with Backman possibly get a decent late 20's player and a fairly good prospect. I'd say that Salvy will be in if he isn't traded. If it's not him Woywitka possibly. With the addition of EJ we have a good chance to make a run for a new playoff streak starting next year with a 6th-7th spot.

HarmonyOfDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
execwrite

McKee-EJ
Jackman-Brewer
Backman-Salvador

Woywitka

Polak first up from Peoria

Walker - Peoria or bye-bye

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
c-carp

Wait until after camp to put Woywitka ahead of Walker for sure. It looks like he is better but let them both show what they have in camp and make a decision.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues5 View Post
Trading Jacks would be horrible. Seeing as prior to EJ he's probably our best draft pick since Bernie. I say we trade Salvy with Backman possibly get a decent late 20's player and a fairly good prospect. I'd say that Salvy will be in if he isn't traded. If it's not him Woywitka possibly. With the addition of EJ we have a good chance to make a run for a new playoff streak starting next year with a 6th-7th spot.
With the Blues investment in Brewer - there's little chance of Salvador being traded. Murray wants Bryce to be Brewer's safety net, just as he was last year.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 09:45 AM
wildone26*

Woywitka will be the odd man out.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 09:49 AM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
Woywitka will be the odd man out.
Not likely. He's waiver eligible and he's working out with the Blues strength and conditioning coach, a sign that he's in the plans of the team for next season. He won't be sent down anymore and the Blues are already positioning him for a long stay at the NHL level. He brings good mobility to the team and makes the smart play. If he can increase his physical presence he'd actually be a stud. He's got all the tools.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
Not likely. He's waiver eligible and he's working out with the Blues strength and conditioning coach, a sign that he's in the plans of the team for next season. He won't be sent down anymore and the Blues are already positioning him for a long stay at the NHL level. He brings good mobility to the team and makes the smart play. If he can increase his physical presence he'd actually be a stud. He's got all the tools.
You could be right but he is the youngest of those 3, and could use more experience to help him improve. If he is the 7th defenseman that wont help him much in that regard. I also doubt he would be picked up if you sent him down during training camp.

I hope he is still a bottom pairing D man and plays regularly if they keep him. I think his game will benefit from more experience, and I dont want to see him as the 7th guy. He is young and needs to play somewhere.

Old
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Robb_K

I think that at least one of this year's top 6 defencemen will be traded. But, if they all stay:

McKee/E.J.
Brewer/Salvador
Jackman/Backman

Woywitka 7

Walker -out

Polak -Peoria

If Backman or Salvy(despite Brewer's displeasure) is traded, Woywitka and Polak fight for 6-7.

Woywitka's a smooth skater, who can carry the puck, get back quickly and is pretty decent at seeing what's going on on the ice. He has all the tools. If he works very hard on his off-season weight training and works on his shot from the point, he could be a solid #4 after a year or so. He has a lot of upside.

But Polak has looked pretty good, too. Brewer can get used to another shift mate (if the right package with Salvadore and draft choices and/or Bacashiua can land a good relatively young proven scoring forward).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
wildone26*

I would be not happy to see Woywitka at #7. That is why I picked him to go the minors. I would rather see him atleast get playing time then be the #7 and not play. I think he needs to play to further his development at this point. As for waivers nobody will pick up someone who hasnt really proved themselves in the NHL from waivers during training camp.