HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is it time for Georges to move on?

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 08:28 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Is it time for Georges to move on?

I'm a big Laraque fan and even today I would love to see the guy thrive here but after seeing him totally miss his stage call last night I wonder if it's simply time to recognize that he will never come around in knowing when to do his job.

I think he is at the least, the best deterent in the league and that alone can eliminate much of the need for fighting but when it has too be done, then George needs to be the guy that does it.

Last night was probably the most disappointed I have been in him in a long time. Why should Chimera be the guy to stick up for a teammate when Georges is standing right there?

How much of a deterent is it to other clubs when they see the other teams enforcer stand around and watch, while a capable but in-experienced guy get dismantled by the culprit of the initial action?

Georges made a huge non-statement last night and although I would hate to see him ply his trade with another team I wonder if some young hungry pugilist making only 200 k makes more sense for us. We have too many forwards as it is and Laraque makes too much money to only dress 50 games a year and only play 4 minutes a night when he does.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Meanashell11

Not that I really want to defend him but if you saw after his fight he was holding his hand in the box and it looks like it is still bothering him. In any event I think we have enough guys that can do the job, its not like we have a midgit for a number one center any longer so if it opens some space for someone on the farm I saw package him up with Smith and lets get a sniper or pp point guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I'm a big Laraque fan and even today I would love to see the guy thrive here but after seeing him totally miss his stage call last night I wonder if it's simply time to recognize that he will never come around in knowing when to do his job.

I think he is at the least, the best deterent in the league and that alone can eliminate much of the need for fighting but when it has too be done, then George needs to be the guy that does it.

Last night was probably the most disappointed I have been in him in a long time. Why should Chimera be the guy to stick up for a teammate when Georges is standing right there?

How much of a deterent is it to other clubs when they see the other teams enforcer stand around and watch, while a capable but in-experienced guy get dismantled by the culprit of the initial action?

Georges made a huge non-statement last night and although I would hate to see him ply his trade with another team I wonder if some young hungry pugilist making only 200 k makes more sense for us. We have too many forwards as it is and Laraque makes too much money to only dress 50 games a year and only play 4 minutes a night when he does.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Not to disagree or anything cuz I totally agree that Laraque has lost something this past year, but recently, I think he's been advised to ease up on the fighting, he sat out that game a few nights ago because he reagrivated his sore hand (or thats what they tell us atleast). So maybe he's just not allowed to fight til it fully heels.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:37 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Jason Chimera ended up getting a 2 minute instigator on the play.

When your team is struggling to kill penalties, you can't afford penalties like that, especially on something that sounded like a relatively clean hit.

Now too bad the rest of the team doesn't show the same restraint when it comes to killing penalties.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:55 AM
copperandblue

A couple things;

I agree the hit was marginal and not outright dirty, but Horcoff was in a position to get hurt and Weimer did take advantage of that.

When a team is struggling, one way of sparking some life is to defend a team mate whether it was from an outright cheap shot or a perceived cheapshot.

As the team has been struggling one of the things missing has been outright agressive physical play. That is one way of getting it started. The other approach is to be overly cautious and do nothing - which has been very effective in turning the PK around.

How many guys have said that it's easier to kill a penalty from a team mate standing up for another then it is from a guy coasting through the neutral zone with a hook on the opposing player. Surprising enough, the Oil killed off Chimera's penalty quite effectively.

Speaking of Chimera, if someone is going to get an instigator early in the game, would you rather have Laraque left on the bench or Chimera. No offence to Georges but Chimera will create more for you through out the game.

Whether Georges is having a tough time fighting or not, he obviously got some kind of message from someone because his very next shift, he went after Johnston.

What sends a better message? Laraque dismantling Weimer when the incident occurs? or Laraque dismantling Johnston 5 minutes later AFTER Weimer is laughing off the effects of HIM being held accountable resulted in HIM cleaning up the guy that stepped in?

Now in hindsight (so it's kinda of a stretch), if Laraque would have gone after Weimer and cleaned him up, would Weimer still have gone on to have what turned out to be a pretty decent game? He had as much to do with the PP goal later on as anyone. It's just possible that if he was beaten up instead of sparked by beating someone else up, then he may have been totallyineffective the rest of the night.

OK, maybe more than just a couple points.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Obsessed

Unless we are getting a proven scorer its not worth dealing the most popular Oiler. The teams morale is already sagging on the floor. A Laraque trade that doesn't help the team immediatly would be a huge mistake. I thinks its time to take a hard look at our staff and decide whether they are going to make a push for the post season or let the kids play. If that makes any sense?

I think that Ottawa would be a good destination for Laraque if he were to get traded. He's an eastern boy and there is alot of talent to be had on there roster.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
A couple things;

I agree the hit was marginal and not outright dirty, but Horcoff was in a position to get hurt and Weimer did take advantage of that.

When a team is struggling, one way of sparking some life is to defend a team mate whether it was from an outright cheap shot or a perceived cheapshot.

As the team has been struggling one of the things missing has been outright agressive physical play. That is one way of getting it started. The other approach is to be overly cautious and do nothing - which has been very effective in turning the PK around.

How many guys have said that it's easier to kill a penalty from a team mate standing up for another then it is from a guy coasting through the neutral zone with a hook on the opposing player. Surprising enough, the Oil killed off Chimera's penalty quite effectively.

Speaking of Chimera, if someone is going to get an instigator early in the game, would you rather have Laraque left on the bench or Chimera. No offence to Georges but Chimera will create more for you through out the game.

Whether Georges is having a tough time fighting or not, he obviously got some kind of message from someone because his very next shift, he went after Johnston.

What sends a better message? Laraque dismantling Weimer when the incident occurs? or Laraque dismantling Johnston 5 minutes later AFTER Weimer is laughing off the effects of HIM being held accountable resulted in HIM cleaning up the guy that stepped in?

Now in hindsight (so it's kinda of a stretch), if Laraque would have gone after Weimer and cleaned him up, would Weimer still have gone on to have what turned out to be a pretty decent game? He had as much to do with the PP goal later on as anyone. It's just possible that if he was beaten up instead of sparked by beating someone else up, then he may have been totallyineffective the rest of the night.

OK, maybe more than just a couple points.
I completely understand where you are coming from, and I would agree if this PK problem was only a small stretch of games.

At the same time, I think when things are as bad as they have been with the Oilers PK, you have to go out of your way to make sure you don't take what can be classified as bad penalties (basically any penatly where there is lazyness involved, in the offensive zone, or it is away from the play).

Yeah, the Oilers managed to kill that one off... but if the Wild had scored, that was game over. It is an unneccesary risk, especially with how poorly things have been going lately on the penalty kill.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think if everyone is worried about Laraque the ticket selling machine, don't be. His value as a hot commidity has plunged this year. A few years back I used to go to games just to see him. that was probably 3 years ago; his marketability is about as strong as a pog right now....

14 yr old boy: "hey kid, you wanna buy a pog?"

kid: "pogs, pogs are old and boring, no one plays pogs any more"

14 yr old boy: "but this is a special pog, a limited edition one"

kid: "I dont care, pogs are stupid."

14 yr old boy: "Well then, do you want the pog for free?"

kid: "No, I dont really have anywhere to put it."

14 yr old boy: "what about your pocke---

kid (interupting): "my jeans don't have pockets."

Maybe we can trade him to Nashville for Tootoo if they're crazy enough to do it, Tootoo would have huge marketability in Edmonton, and he'd be a fresh face in the community.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Meanashell11

two points. I think even though he is popular, that is the kind of trade you do to shake this team up. it sends a message that no matter what, if you are not contributing you are gone. second, look at that terrible penalty speaking of lazy plays ferguson took that led to the goal. proves the point that the team will not bear down to kill soft penalties. if fergusson is in the line up fter that then he must have pictures of MacT partying with Jacko.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:13 AM
theoil

At the risk of being boorish I will repeat myself. I am afraid of fighting with every player in the NHL EXCEPT Georges. I am not afraid of him because I know that as soon as he swings at me all I have to do is fall down and he will stop. Cliff Ronning is scarier than Georges Laraque. Georges wins almost every fight - on points. Not by knockout. He doesn't intimidate anybody - not even me. Completely and totally useless. I've wanted to trade him for 3 years. Sorry for repeating myself from other threads.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:51 AM
copperandblue

Cliff Ronning is scarier than Georges Laraque.

I remember maybe 6 years ago, shortly after Georges came into the league and was really starting to make a name for himself, I was on vacation in the Dominican and Cliff Ronning was at the same resort. He was friendly enough to chat a bit and I asked him who he found to be the scariest guy in the league.

He said hands down, Laraque.

I wonder if he would change his mind after reading your post?

Old
12-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Yanner39

Laraque is probably one of the only available assets this team has in terms of trading one roster player for another. Obviously, this team is struggling to score. If the right deal came along, I would trade George. Let's face it, if he's not playing Oilers-playoffs hockey, he's not effective.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:08 PM
tommyb

Quote:

He hasn't been the same since MacT embarrassed him in Montreal .He had a slow start this season but it was mostly just bad luck.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:17 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

the only question i have is, if his hand is injured why is he playing? gimme a break a couple of you guys have given him an excuse, maybe it is time to jettison him while we can still get a decent return.scary umm no, scary is a guy who is willing to throw and hurt somebody every shift he gets.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb
He hasn't been the same since MacT embarrassed him in Montreal .He had a slow start this season but it was mostly just bad luck.
i think it was mentioned in the paper that Laraque wasn't a healthy scratch in Montreal or Ottawa but he was injured. He apparently re-agravated it and missed the game against Anaheim I believe. I think it's time for the Oilers medical staff to look at that hand. If he keeps playing with the injury, he could make it worse. Someone mentioned that after the fight with Matt Johnson yesterday, they saw Laraque holding his hand in the penalty box.

12-19-2003, 07:31 PM
theoil

Even if Laraque has a problem with his hand his hand isn't the problem.

Closed Thread