HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If every goalie in the league had the same Save% ...

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
igor*

vCash: 500
If every goalie in the league had the same Save% ...

High time for one of my "If every goalie in the league had the same Save%" threads.

I'm keeping everyone's Shooting% the same of course. The corrected goal differential (GF - GA) is on the right of the team.

I really don't know if this is fair ... but it just always seems to result in standings that seem more right to my mind.

Anyhoo ...

WEST
DET +38
VAN +15
COL +10
L.A +9
STL +8
CGY +0
EDM -3
DAL -8

NSH -9
S.J -15
PHX -16
ANA -18
CBJ -23
MIN -24
CHI -29

EAST
OTT +17
PHI +16
TOR +6
ATL +5
N.J +4
NYI +3
BOS +1
T.B -6

WSH -6
NYR -8
BUF -11
MTL -15
CAR -17
PIT -31
FLA -32

My point ... goaltending is tres important to the success of a team IMHO. Dare I say it ... even more important than 4th liners and 6th defensemen

Last edited by igor*: 12-19-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old
12-19-2003, 10:24 AM
jadeddog

very interesting idea! it does seem to make the potential standings more like what everybody "thinks" they should be..... goaltending, goaltending - cant stress how important it is..... though its *obviously* important to me

Old
12-19-2003, 10:51 AM
looooob

interesting stuff. I know there has been a bit of calgary/edm mudslinging here lately and I don't want to bring any of that here, but as a Flames fan these stats make sense. a critical reason (not the only reason but a main one) why the Flames have stunk for so many years : Turek,Vernon(part deux),Wregget,Fuhr (part deux) Whitmore...you get the picture. you guys have had the better goaltending for quite a while now...and I suspect your goaltending should rebound at some point this year

I wonder if Bobby Clarke will ever appreciate the importance of goaltending?

(ps wow Fleury and Luongo sure are doing their best to make their teams semi-respectable)

Old
12-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
interesting stuff. I know there has been a bit of calgary/edm mudslinging here lately and I don't want to bring any of that here, but as a Flames fan these stats make sense. a critical reason (not the only reason but a main one) why the Flames have stunk for so many years : Turek,Vernon(part deux),Wregget,Fuhr (part deux) Whitmore...you get the picture. you guys have had the better goaltending for quite a while now...and I suspect your goaltending should rebound at some point this year

I wonder if Bobby Clarke will ever appreciate the importance of goaltending?

(ps wow Fleury and Luongo sure are doing their best to make their teams semi-respectable)
Hey looob, the mudslinging will start at 1am (eastern time) Saturday night.

Your take on the Flames goaltenders is bang on. I think one problem with the Flames as well is the depth at the forward position. The year you guys started out strong, I think only one line was going. It seems to be a bit more balanced now especially with Conroy out of the lineup.

I like igor's posts. Pretty cool. The Oilers have historically have had goaltenders who stole games for them, which is a big reason why they made the playoffs the last little while. I don't see that this year although Conks IMO has surpasse any expectations we could have had. I think one of the reasons why Edm's PK is struggling is that the OIler goalies aren't making key saves at those key times. They say the most important Pkers are the goalies and it so true. On my hockey the last few years, our goalie has been the most important player on the ice hands down.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:20 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I think one of the reasons why Edm's PK is struggling is that the OIler goalies aren't making key saves at those key times. They say the most important Pkers are the goalies and it so true. On my hockey the last few years, our goalie has been the most important player on the ice hands down.
Look at some of the goals that are going in on the power play... out of the last 14 games, I am sure at least one pp goal against in every game is directly because of a tip by either the opposition forward, or the Oilers defenceman.

I mean last night is a perfect example... how on earth can Conklin be expected to make that save?

The defencemen have to stop trying to knock pucks with their sticks, and they have to make sure as hell the forwards can't get their sticks on the puck.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Look at some of the goals that are going in on the power play... out of the last 14 games, I am sure at least one pp goal against in every game is directly because of a tip by either the opposition forward, or the Oilers defenceman.

I mean last night is a perfect example... how on earth can Conklin be expected to make that save?

The defencemen have to stop trying to knock pucks with their sticks, and they have to make sure as hell the forwards can't get their sticks on the puck.
True. But defensemen deflecting pucks is not just an Oiler problem. I'm not blaming the goalies for the Oilers' 73% PK average. Fact is, Oiler goalies have not come out big, whether it's bad luck or whatever. You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.

We can sit down all day and breakdown each goal that's been allowed. Won't change anything. The goals are going in. Even veterans defenseman deflects pucks all the time. Oilers goalies aren't making the big saves. I'm the last one to crap on a goalie, especially after a 1-1 tie or 1-0 loss.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:51 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
exactly doctor, when was the last time one of our goaltenders actually stole a game for us? loooooobbbbb is bang on, the flames are winning because of their goaltending. sorry not just that however both mclennan and kiprusoff have won games for them.

Closed Thread