HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kostitsyn levels Downie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
  #1
mad_hab'er
 
mad_hab'er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn levels Downie

The commentators call this hit by Sergei Kostitsn on Steve Downey "dirty" & "early".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng_tBYeb7U

Here's another video too... a collection of goals etc by Sergei... he has a great shot already and is frequently plays the point on the powerplay. He also seems to be handling the rough stuff just fine. Can't wait to see how he does in Hamilton next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WA8...elated&search=

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:47 AM
  #2
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
That video was posted a couple of months ago but it's still awesome!

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:05 AM
  #3
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 500
I don't see anything dirty in that hit. Downie had his head down and that was a suicide pass. By the way, I really like that Sergei didn't "chickened" after that hit, unlike the other Russian that we have in our team. I like Perez too

Anyone has the SK fight video?

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:14 AM
  #4
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
It's fun to see all of our Russian born player to perform acts of violence before making the step ine the big league

just kidding, that hit was huge, though it was legal.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:19 AM
  #5
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 210
That hit hit was neither early nor dirty. I'm guessing the commentors were not London knights fans.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:22 AM
  #6
TheFinalWord
Registered User
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,072
vCash: 500
He's not a Russian.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:42 AM
  #7
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,043
vCash: 500
A 2006-2007 compilation of Sergei Kostitsyn coming ! I work on it .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:56 AM
  #8
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
That hit hit was neither early nor dirty. I'm guessing the commentors were not London knights fans.
Stupid question, but what do they mean by "early"?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
  #9
Habs_46
Registered User
 
Habs_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New-Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Stupid question, but what do they mean by "early"?
If you hit the guy before he accualy touches the puck....

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:21 AM
  #10
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_46 View Post
If you hit the guy before he accualy touches the puck....
Ahhh, thanks. I never heard the expression before. At first I thought they meant early in the game. I was thinking, "why is that bad?". I'm slow sometimes.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
  #11
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Ahhh, thanks. I never heard the expression before. At first I thought they meant early in the game. I was thinking, "why is that bad?". I'm slow sometimes.
haha dont worry i was confused too
although i also think they meant he was on the ice early because to me it clearly looks like downie has the puck just as he got nailed (and that pass by lindl is a perfect suicide pass haha

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
  #12
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,027
vCash: 500
Im gonna go out on a limb and say that Sergei is Montreal's 2nd best prospect outside of Price who's hasn't played in the NHL. This kid is gonna be a MONSTER when he comes up you just know it. I see him as a top line player in 4-5 years.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
  #13
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,027
vCash: 500
Even if it was dirty, the hit was on Downie so it's would have been a little bit deserved. Downie is a punk.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
  #14
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
If there's anything wrong with that, then Campbell's on Umberger was dirty too, and that's become the standard for open ice hitting.

Maybe a leetle bit high, butgood timing.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:52 AM
  #15
brownman*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
Even if it was dirty, the hit was on Downie so it's would have been a little bit deserved. Downie is a punk.
Correct. Any hit on Downie is clean, especially Jack Johnson's phantom elbow

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:55 AM
  #16
Le Maroons
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
The hit isn't 'early' or 'dirty'. The only thing that's early about that play is he jumped on the ice too fast, too many men on the ice.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
  #17
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
The hit isn't 'early' or 'dirty'. The only thing that's early about that play is he jumped on the ice too fast, too many men on the ice.
I only saw the clip once (and it was bad quality) but if Kostitsyn is on the ice too early, it's dirty. How can you a call a guy getting hit by a sixth man on the ice clean? I mean, the check itself may be clean, but the play sure wouldn't be.

Unless Kostitsyn's man got off before Kostitsyn threw the hit...then it's clean as a whistle.

But I don't really care because (a) it's S. Kostitsyn doing the hitting and (b) it's Steve Downie getting hit

Edit: while we're talking about S. Kost videos, anyone have a clip of him scoring in overtime when the Knights were down by two men?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:31 AM
  #18
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Edit: while we're talking about S. Kost videos, anyone have a clip of him scoring in overtime when the Knights were down by two men?
I also really wanted to see this one.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:35 AM
  #19
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
It is a dirty hit because the commentator is a fan boy, both of Kitchener and Downie.

Even if he is the 6th forward on the ice, it is not a dirty hit. If he is the 6th forward, it is a penalty for too many men, which is a coaches error.

If Downie laid that hit, it would be a solid "Canadian- style" hockey play. Because it was by a Russian on a WJC alumni, the opinions are skewed.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
  #20
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I don't see anything dirty in that hit. Downie had his head down and that was a suicide pass. By the way, I really like that Sergei didn't "chickened" after that hit, unlike the other Russian that we have in our team. I like Perez too

Anyone has the SK fight video?
It was somewhat dirty. What you dont see on this one that we saw on the other replay is that kost was early getting off the bench.


Last edited by znk: 04-20-2007 at 12:21 PM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:40 AM
  #21
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
It is a dirty hit because the commentator is a fan boy, both of Kitchener and Downie.

Even if he is the 6th forward on the ice, it is not a dirty hit. If he is the 6th forward, it is a penalty for too many men, which is a coaches error.

If Downie laid that hit, it would be a solid "Canadian- style" hockey play. Because it was by a Russian on a WJC alumni, the opinions are skewed.
Right. Dirty play, but not a dirty hit.

And Kostitsyn is from Belarus BTW.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
  #22
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
That was a great hit. Can't wait to see him play with his brother.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
  #23
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Timmins said Sergei was already a better skater then his brother. He's very good at positioning his body to be able to give good hits. He'll have to be careful in the future because there is a limit to what is legal and safe. Armstrongs hits this season with players coming around the net have been called legal but labled harmful to the extent of injury.

If Sergei can control his hits to legal rather safe ones where no head injuries can occure and he leaves the players winded and asking themselves what they hit, then he can become a premier hitter in the NHL. We'll be seeing as much Kostitsyn hits in the highlight reels as Phaneuf!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
  #24
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Right. Dirty play, but not a dirty hit.

And Kostitsyn is from Belarus BTW.
Are you saying that any penalty is a dirty play? I disagree. We could go around that one for a long time... but calling too many men on the ice a dirty play... I disagree.

The fact that he is not born in Sudbury, Moose Jaw or Flin Flon.... that was the point.

Belarussian, yes... I know. Thanks for schooling me.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:01 PM
  #25
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Are you saying that any penalty is a dirty play? I disagree. We could go around that one for a long time... but calling too many men on the ice a dirty play... I disagree.

The fact that he is not born in Sudbury, Moose Jaw or Flin Flon.... that was the point.

Belarussian, yes... I know. Thanks for schooling me.
I was "schooling" anybody...just a small correction.

I don't see how you can draw the conclusion that I think any penalty is a dirty play from what I said. I'm talking about this specific instance - you really don't think jumping on the ice early and levelling someone who obviously has no idea you're going to be there (because he's not expecting six skaters on the ice) at least somewhat dirty? I guess it would be bonafide dirty if Kostitsyn hopped over the boards early on purpose with the intention of drilling Downie, but I dunno, it's still kinda "grey area" to me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.