HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I get new skates (rollerblades)?

Old
04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Easton

vCash: 500
Should I get new skates (rollerblades)?

I have a pair of Missions about 7 years old that still fit me (my skate size hasn't changed since). Should I continue using them or should I purchase a new pair of skates since technology has probably improved over the years? Are skates lighter nowadays?

While I'm on it, what's the purpose behind wheel setups? Do smaller wheels up front and larger wheels in the back improve your speed and grip?

Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 10:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton View Post
I have a pair of Missions about 7 years old that still fit me (my skate size hasn't changed since). Should I continue using them or should I purchase a new pair of skates since technology has probably improved over the years? Are skates lighter nowadays?

While I'm on it, what's the purpose behind wheel setups? Do smaller wheels up front and larger wheels in the back improve your speed and grip?
A lot has come around since then, I won't lie. Skates are way lighter, definitely. It might be good to look into them but if you don't want to have to break in new skates, keep using your old ones. Also, there are other really good brands other than Mission now, Mission isn't the only good company that makes roller blades. Go to a pro shop and try some RBK's, Bauers, CCM's, etc, and see how they feel. Tour's are also supposed to be nice. Generally, I believe smaller wheels in the front, the hi-lo chassis or whatever variations everyone uses, allow for better balance and makes it easier to go from stopped to going (agility).

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

I don't get why everybody buys Missions. Aren't some of their skates like more than 300? What's so great about them? Not being sarcastic, but what's the thing that makes them so popular? Anyways, i've had Nike Quest Gator's for about 3 years now. Good skates, good price seeing that I got them for 100. The wheels sucked though. They wore out fairly quick. I got new wheels a year later ('04) and they're still in good condition.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Easton

The ones I bought were on sale for about a 100 something.

Old
04-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Gallagbi
Formerly Eazy_B97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_26 View Post
I don't get why everybody buys Missions. Aren't some of their skates like more than 300? What's so great about them? Not being sarcastic, but what's the thing that makes them so popular? Anyways, i've had Nike Quest Gator's for about 3 years now. Good skates, good price seeing that I got them for 100. The wheels sucked though. They wore out fairly quick. I got new wheels a year later ('04) and they're still in good condition.
They were one of the forerunners for inline hockey. They also help out alot at the minor hockey level. They've become the main name. Some pairs are expnesive, others aren't, just like other companies skates.

Easton - are the skates wearing out at all? Loss of support in the boots or anything? What model are they?

Gallagbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Easton

Other than a little rust on the bolts holding wheel plate intact, there's nothing wrong with the skates. I don't have them with me right now so I can't tell you what model they are, but one unique characteristic was a shorter ankle (or in other words, the boot didn't reach that high on your ankles enabling more flexibility).

Old
04-21-2007, 12:31 AM
triggrman

I just replaced my VS i Missions that I got like in 1999.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Remdawg911

Hey, I'm looking to get into a roller hockey and play. I've never played ice or anything before but I can skate and I have fairly good balance from skateboarding. I play hockey in gym but never on skates. What kind of skates do you guys reccomend for a newbie?

Remdawg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:17 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remdawg911 View Post
Hey, I'm looking to get into a roller hockey and play. I've never played ice or anything before but I can skate and I have fairly good balance from skateboarding. I play hockey in gym but never on skates. What kind of skates do you guys reccomend for a newbie?
If you're going to play outside or not in a league, any old pair of Missions will do, so as long as they fit you properly. If you're playing regularly or in a league, look up the Helium 7500's or 950's. Try hockeymonkey.com

Basically, it'd help to know how often you play and some more b/g info.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Gallagbi
Formerly Eazy_B97

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I just replaced my VS i Missions that I got like in 1999.
What size? Were these the white ones?

Gallagbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Remdawg911

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
If you're going to play outside or not in a league, any old pair of Missions will do, so as long as they fit you properly. If you're playing regularly or in a league, look up the Helium 7500's or 950's. Try hockeymonkey.com

Basically, it'd help to know how often you play and some more b/g info.
Right now just outside. But this winter I would like to get into a league.

Remdawg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:28 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
What size? Were these the white ones?
No, they were black with some suede like material on them. Size 9.5 They're gone now though

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remdawg911 View Post
Right now just outside. But this winter I would like to get into a league.
My suggestion is to get the best Heliums you're willing to pay for. If you were using these just for indoor, then look into getting something from the Wicked line. If you want these to last, try to avoid anything below 5500 in the Helium line.

And above all, just go to the shop and try as many skates as you can from the low to high end so you know the difference and know what you're paying for. That probably trumps any advice I or anyone could give you.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_26 View Post
Skates are the most important piece of equipment you can buy. Take your skates to your LHS and pick up the most expensive pair of Mission roller hockey skates and tell me if you cannot feel the difference in weight. And that weight makes a huge impact in a game where you're lifting them up hundreds of times a game. Multiply that weight by the number of reps and you are literally lifting quite a bit more weight than the guy who bought the Missions. I had the Nike Federov's before I started buying Mission, night and day as far as technology, ankle support, weight and unfortunately price.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote