HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ilya Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 09:50 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Ilya Kovalchuk

What's happend to him? He was on fire but now he's really struggling to score a goal. He was on pace to score like 60 or 70 goals not that I thought he would but some people here said he would. The pace he is on now he will be lucky to score 40 goals. I don't get to see many Atlanta games so what's wrong with him, is he being a checked a lot or is he playing injured.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:55 AM
TelperiŽn

vCash: 500
He needs a kick in the @$$ to get going.

Well... a better answer would be--> Every team is putting pressure on him and while he is amazing when he is given some room, he still needs to work on doing things under pressure... he'll learn. He hasn't had a goal in 7 (?) games and a point in 4 (?) games so - yeah, he *definitely* needs to get going. At times it's not like he's playing completely horrible, just that he can't get the whole job done.

A few yelling matches between him and Bob Hartley should fix that!

Old
12-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
What's happend to him? He was on fire but now he's really struggling to score a goal. He was on pace to score like 60 or 70 goals not that I thought he would but some people here said he would. The pace he is on now he will be lucky to score 40 goals. I don't get to see many Atlanta games so what's wrong with him, is he being a checked a lot or is he playing injured.

probably a cold streak like every player have during a year. he is still 20 so there isnt much of a problem here.. i still cant wait to see Heatley back! and thats without Lethonen and Coburn!! damn it!

Old
12-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He could have been overworked in the beginning of the season, and is showing signs of that now. I mean the guy was putting up 24+ mins a night.....

Plus, everyone knows that he is the player to key in on for the Thrashers. Without Heatly......it is just that much easier to do.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:05 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Teams know that if you stop #17, you've got a good chance of beating the Thrashers. Of course, not scoring has probably caused him to try a little too hard(he is after all, their primary source of offence), which leads to trying plays that are too fancy and subsequent unnecessary turnovers. He's young, and he'll play out of it.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:25 AM
ihatenewjersey

teams are looking for him, more so now than ever

Old
12-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
He could have been overworked in the beginning of the season, and is showing signs of that now. I mean the guy was putting up 24+ mins a night.....
Yeah... the brilliant idea of Bob "No Einstein" Hartley to put this guy for the whole duration of the PP is taking a toll, I think.

That, and the fact this team was playing through emotional turmoil and overachieved a bit as a group.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:00 PM
LuckyLUC20

The Thrashers in general are a little cold... haven't they been shutout 3 games in a row now? Woah.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:14 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Teams are zoning in on him...and shutting him down.

for example, the last game the Senators played against the Thrashers...every time Kovalchuk was on the ice...Chara was on the ice with one mission---Shut Kovalchuk Down.

And guess what? 0 points for Ilya. There are 29 teams in the NHL that now know that if you want to shut down the Thrashers...do this, and apparently it's working.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Teams are zoning in on him...and shutting him down.

for example, the last game the Senators played against the Thrashers...every time Kovalchuk was on the ice...Chara was on the ice with one mission---Shut Kovalchuk Down.

And guess what? 0 points for Ilya. There are 29 teams in the NHL that now know that if you want to shut down the Thrashers...do this, and apparently it's working.

Same with the Kings. Everytime Norstrom was in his face and on the 2 minute 2 man advantage I don't think Kovalchuk even received a pass.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

It looks like he's running the PP all by himself, sometimes he has 8/9 minutes PP time. Together with the fact that the opponents are playing against him with the foam around their mouth to keep him in check but he probably has a slump too.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:42 PM
south-sentral

obviously, he wasn't going to keep up his rapid pace all season long and this would be a good test to see if he can play through some pressure.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Reign Nateo

40 goals isn't exactly something your lucky to get these days. It's a damn good season, especially for someone his age.

Did anyone really expect 70 goals and 170 points?

Old
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Yeah... the brilliant idea of Bob "No Einstein" Hartley to put this guy for the whole duration of the PP is taking a toll, I think.

That, and the fact this team was playing through emotional turmoil and overachieved a bit as a group.
Yawn. Bob "No Einstein" Hartley has done a splendid job with Atlanta. Your bias against him (and Don Waddell) is amusing. Unfounded and amusing.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:06 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
l. He was on pace to score like 60 or 70 goals not that I thought he would but some people here said he would. The pace he is on now he will be lucky to score 40 goals. .
Like anyone here in ny would complain about having a player "lucky enough to score 40gs"

Old
12-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

You know your having a good season when you are in a cold streak and still top 3 in the NHL in goals and I believe top 5 or 10 in points.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:31 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Like anyone here in ny would complain about having a player "lucky enough to score 40gs"

Anyone, anywhere wouldn't complain about a player like that. Period, end on story, etc... But that really goes without saying.

Kovy and the rest of the team are in a funk right now, not surprising on quite a few levels. Hell, the team has been operating on hopes and dreams the entire season. I'm shocked that they've poured in the offense that they have up until the last three games. Emotions and strategy have been their blueprint thus far, talent has only been a very small component.

By the way, DaMick. The name rings a bell. Or is this someone else?

Old
12-19-2003, 10:00 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthrash
By the way, DaMick. The name rings a bell. Or is this someone else?
it should ... your whipping my butt in our HTR yahoo hockey league

Old
12-19-2003, 10:08 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
it should ... your whipping my butt in our HTR yahoo hockey league
I got lucky in the draft, period. I claim no other inherent knowledge otherwise.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:13 PM
c-carp

Could it simply be that he is still young and maturing as a player still. I think that sometimes we as fans myself included sometimes are so desperate to find the "Next One" that we forget that we were Damn lucky to have Gretzky and Lemieux in our lifetime and we fail to remember that Kovalchuk, Heatley, Rick Nash ect are going to be very good players but they are just kids and we expect too much from them at times. They are going to be very good players but I think we toss areound the phrase great player far too often.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupuis>Ilya
Yawn. Bob "No Einstein" Hartley has done a splendid job with Atlanta. Your bias against him (and Don Waddell) is amusing. Unfounded and amusing.
What kind of bias are you talking about? Why am I not partial to Waddell and Hartley? Why am I biased?

I look forward to hearing a twisted explanations to hide the facts: You're just moaning because you happen to like the actions of those two individuals and I don't.

Tell you what, maybe I should throw b*ull**** accusations as well and say YOU are biased. Oh wait. You're a Trashers fan. I'd actually have at least a reason to say so.

Your bullcrap bias accusation is... unfounded and amusing.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:49 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Could it simply be that he is still young and maturing as a player still. I think that sometimes we as fans myself included sometimes are so desperate to find the "Next One" that we forget that we were Damn lucky to have Gretzky and Lemieux in our lifetime and we fail to remember that Kovalchuk, Heatley, Rick Nash ect are going to be very good players but they are just kids and we expect too much from them at times. They are going to be very good players but I think we toss areound the phrase great player far too often.
That's the thing. These great players are just kids.

Sure, they have already in a short time established themselves as elite players in the NHL. Doesn't change the fact that they are still kids. They are still young and still learning, on and off the rink. There is so much in life that they have yet to experience, and at least some of that they will experience through the voyeuristic eye of the public. That's one hell of a burden for someone in their early 20s.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:04 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:

My comment "he will be lucky to score 40 goals" was directed to the people that said he would score 60 oo 70 goals. Of course 40 goals is an accomplishment especially for a person his age. I was just wondering why he hasn't scored any goals of late because I don't see many Thrashers games.

Old
12-20-2003, 09:15 AM
evildreams

vCash:
well, savard/mceachern/kozlov have been nice pickups during the waddell era, but it sounds like don needs to bring in a serious 'offensive distraction' until heatley returns, if the thrash plan on playing in a postseason (would be mighty helpful to their pathetic fan support).

Old
12-20-2003, 09:26 AM
IslesFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
well, savard/mceachern/kozlov have been nice pickups during the waddell era, but it sounds like don needs to bring in a serious 'offensive distraction' until heatley returns, if the thrash plan on playing in a postseason (would be mighty helpful to their pathetic fan support).
They need to stop giving up so many goals. They're 2nd in the league in offense. I think they can stand to wait for Heatley.

Closed Thread