HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Isles' Hill out for 20: doping

Old
04-20-2007, 04:02 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
OT: Isles' Hill out for 20: doping

What does this mean for the league? Is anyone on the Rangers using? Is Hill's career over? NOT GOOD FOR THE NHL RIGHT NOW.

Old
04-20-2007, 04:04 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
source?

but

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Guys if you want to discuss the steroid issue or what effect this might have on the Isles, fine. It will not become a thread in which to flame the Isles of their fans.

04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Guys if you want to discuss the steroid issue or what effect this might have on the Isles, fine. It will not become a thread in which to flame the Isles of their fans.

darn it! I had the perfect picture for this story too!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
then where are we supposed to flame the Isles and their fans?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:11 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:

We would never!

But seriously, what I think is different (and better) about something like this in the NHL as opposed to, say, MLB is that in hockey, there seems to be more widespread disgust as opposed to the sweeping under the rug and lying to Congress that happens in baseball. I don't see Hill re-signing with anyone. And I'm sure Islanders' fans never want to see him again. So that's it for the guy. Take your drugs and take a hike. The timing just could not be worse for the Isles. And it's borderline suspicious.

Old
04-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Balej20*

Wow...This is terrible news for the NHLs clean image when it comes to drug use.

You can gurantee that the media outlets will now focus on this when talking about the NHL...not the playoffs.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:13 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
What does this mean for the league? Is anyone on the Rangers using? Is Hill's career over? NOT GOOD FOR THE NHL RIGHT NOW.
1)I dunno. 2)Probably. 3)When did it start?

04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Wow. That came out of left field. just great. Another black eye for the NHL, and during the playoffs, fantastic.

They couldnt wait to release this until after the season? The Isles are going down tonight anyway, why make an issue out of this now when the NHL is in the middle of their Cup run?

This had to go through Bettman first... is he just trying to get any attention for the league, good or bad?
He could have waited, if he thought this would tarnish the Stanley Cup Playoffs - the only time this sport gets any airplay other than a two hand slash to the head...

Boy have the Islanders had a rough year in the papers- Wang, Snow, Ice Girls, Simon, DiPietros contract... now doping. Holy moly.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 04-20-2007 at 04:29 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I still don't understand why people think the NHL is above illegal sunstance use. Forget about the upper body, it takes alot of leg strength to compete in the NHL.

And yeah, this has been some year for the Isles fans, enemy or not, it sucks.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:30 PM
shoothepuck

Does it matter when it happens? If the policy is zero tolerance, then Hill, or anyone else has to pay the price. Always thought it odd that a guy his age had acne worse than a prepubescent teen.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Ola

Quote:
Steroids aren't "used" really, not often. Or atleast not at levels where you are tested. You take em while building muscle mass mostly. If you take em too long you will just get too big to play hockey.

Though I am sure atleast a handful of the players we got have used steroids at some points in their careers.

I am 100% sure its a bigger problem then what many belive. If you go back 20 years I am sure atleast 90% of the players used steroids. Håkan Loob has gone on record saying that the Calgary Flames doctors gave steroids to all players during their cup year, that was in 89'.

Its a really dangerous problem to, that the NHL should take care off.

The testing program the NHL got is a complete joke, its very easy not to get caught.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
NYR469

this is definitely bad press for the nhl and will create lots of finger pointing. but its hard to say whether or not it'll have much impact without knowing what exactly he failed the test for. it doesn't say what he was taking, people just assume it is steroids. but roids aren't the only thing not allowed under the policy and some of the things that would violate the policy i think would be viewed as 'not a big deal' by most fans. if its roids then that could start a witchhunt like mlb has, but if it ends up being something stupid like creatine then you won't see that kind of response. this will definitely be one time though that the nhl is glad they don't get any attention or respect.

trying to look for a positive spin on things for the nhl...steroids might not be a major problem in the nhl but i think its pretty safe to assume that there are guys using stuff in the league. you are talking about 700+ players, even if its a small percentage, its almost impossibly to believe that no one is using (and imo the most likely candidates are enforcers/tough guys, career ahlers trying to make it who feel their time is running out, and vets trying to hold onto their careers for a few extra years (hill))...now here is the small positive for the nhl. if they come out and say 100% of our players are clean then it makes you think they are hiding something. but now that they have caught someone, they can spin this along the lines of "this is why we introduced the new testing policy. we are aware of the potential for a problem and are not turning a blind eye to it." basically push the point that the nhl put in testing on their own it wasn't forced by congress so the nhl is truly interested in making sure the players are clean.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:25 PM
SML

20 years ago the biggest players in the league were 205 lbs. I doubt many guys were regular steroid abusers. Cortizone shots are technically steroids, I bet a majority of players have had one of them at some point in their careers. Unless you know exactly what a guy is taking, it's hard to say if he's using to performance enhance or to recover from injury.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:30 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Maybe I misread it but I don't see anywhere in that article that says it was steroids.

You all do know that even psuedo-ephedrines namely Sudafed (yes the little red pills) and PEDIALITE are on the banned substance list?

I'm not saying it wasn't steroids, but until it's released what substance it was, give him the benefit of the doubt.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:44 PM
stranger34

Quote:
We would never!

But seriously, what I think is different (and better) about something like this in the NHL as opposed to, say, MLB is that in hockey, there seems to be more widespread disgust as opposed to the sweeping under the rug and lying to Congress that happens in baseball. I don't see Hill re-signing with anyone. And I'm sure Islanders' fans never want to see him again. So that's it for the guy. Take your drugs and take a hike. The timing just could not be worse for the Isles. And it's borderline suspicious.
the timing is extremely suspicious on the heels of snow and nolan calling out the bad reffing and campbells pissy comments in return

this is the first roids suspension i can think of in the nhl and i would have a hard time believing sean hill has been the only player the league has caught using.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:52 PM
blue2noise

Imagine how slow and old he would look if he wasnt juiced!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
RedLightDistrict

This is kinda shocking me in a naíeve way, simply because i always viewed Hill as a consummate professional- Now that the first doping-suspension has been dealt out, it is going to no doubt bring a media firestorm, and give Dick Pound more of a reason to criticize the NHL's policies.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:15 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
You take em while building muscle mass mostly. If you take em too long you will just get too big to play hockey.
That's not entirely true. Certain steroids are used to build muscle mass, but the majority of athletes who use them do so to help them recover from the wear and tear of playing.

The reason steroids help you build muscle mass is because when you lift weights, it tears the muscle fibers (that's why you're sore after working out) and as they grow back, they build up the muscle mass. So taking steroids expediates that process, allowing you to work out more than you would naturally be able to.

But hockey, moreso than any other sport perhaps, is brutal on the body, and over the course of an 84 game season it takes longer and longer for the body to recover. That wear and tear is probably the reason that Hill was juicing, to help overcome it and to maintain his strength, not necessarily build more of it.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
But hockey, moreso than any other sport perhaps, is brutal on the body, and over the course of an 84 game season it takes longer and longer for the body to recover.
remember, most players play 82 games.

Old
04-20-2007, 09:49 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Hill's a punk POS anyway. I despise the guy and I feel no sorrow or pity towards the guy.

Kiss your career bye-bye, Hill.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
remember, most players play 82 games.
Details details.

Actually, that's a really stupid slip up on my part.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Details details.

Actually, that's a really stupid slip up on my part.
I was going to make an Avery joke about it, but decided not to at the last moment.

Old
04-20-2007, 11:22 PM
gravy121

Not the first positive test

Well steriods did not force the end of Bryan Berard's career (got positive test from US Hockey, not NHL so no NHL suspension, but banned two years from international). Though you wonder if it will be it for Hill due to his age and free agent status.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote