HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What were the best trades of all-time?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,056
vCash: 500
What were the best trades of all-time?

Not the worst trades but trades that ended up being lopsided and had the other team benefit greatly from it making the GM look brilliant. I wouldnt include the Gretzky trade because the Kings knew they were going to vastly improve after that. I mean trades like Francis to Pittsburgh, or Goring to NYI. Or even the Esposito package that went from Chicago to Boston.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:15 PM
  #2
dkatzism
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge. And that's the thread.

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:17 PM
  #3
JaymzB
Registered User
 
JaymzB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Not the worst trades but trades that ended up being lopsided and had the other team benefit greatly from it making the GM look brilliant. I wouldnt include the Gretzky trade because the Kings knew they were going to vastly improve after that. I mean trades like Francis to Pittsburgh, or Goring to NYI. Or even the Esposito package that went from Chicago to Boston.
The Habs getting Ken Dryden from the Bruins for bpretty much nothing.

Detroit getting Kris Draper for $1.

The Habs getting Russ Cortnall for John Kordic (R.I.P).

There are countless others. unless you consider these "worst" trades.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:54 PM
  #4
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
The Habs getting Ken Dryden from the Bruins for bpretty much nothing.

Detroit getting Kris Draper for $1.

The Habs getting Russ Cortnall for John Kordic (R.I.P).

There are countless others. unless you consider these "worst" trades.
Dryden and Alex Campbell to the Bruins for for Guy Allen and Paul Reid on June 28, 1964. Other than Dryden none of them made the NHL. Campbell played 1 season in the IHL, Allen played 3 seasons of minor pro and Reid never turned pro. Dryden would be the Big Bad Bruins nemesis.

Naslund for Stojanov is another one to go

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:16 AM
  #5
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,214
vCash: 500
So, the worst trades in reverse...

The best trades are ones that benefit both teams, like Newsy Lalonde for Aurel Joliat.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
  #6
FlyersPenguins
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Bruins get: Cam Neely and the Canucks first round (third overall) pick in the '87 draft.

Canucks get: Barry Pederson

Yes.

FlyersPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:40 AM
  #7
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
So, the worst trades in reverse...

The best trades are ones that benefit both teams, like Newsy Lalonde for Aurel Joliat.
I agree.

Another would be Iginla for Nieuwendyk. That was a trade that benefited both teams.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
  #8
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 41,854
vCash: 1500
After the 1972-73 season, Bernie Parent's NHL rights, held by Toronto while he was in the WHA, were traded to the Flyers (along with a pick -- Larry Goodenough) for a 1973 1st round pick (Bob Neely) and Doug Favell. The Flyers won the next two Cups.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.